Nick Mangold Released: MERGED

choon328

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, #90 said:

It's obvious next season is a total throw away. So, lets wave Harris, Marshall, Decker, and anyone who makes over 3 million. If we are going to go 2-14, lets do it right!

Two ways to skin that cat. They can - and should - add or keep players who make that amount and more. Just that they should fall into 1 of 2 categories:

1. There is reason to believe the player will still be playing at a high level in 3-4 years (or for longer).

2. Players on offense that will, in 2017, aid in the development of a QB. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

My #2 All-Time Favorite NY Jet, behind only Al Toon.

My disappointment is palpable.   This franchise continues to make moves I simply do not understand.

Revis?  Still a Jet.  Sheldon?  Still a Jet.  Hell, 90% of this worthless POS Defense and the Coaching Staff responsible for it?  All still Jets.  Clueless Bowles?  Yep, still here.

But Mangold, gone.  Folk, gone.  Two of our best, most reliable guys, and locker room leaders.  

But Dropsy Brandon Marshall, him we have to keep.  And "Like an Egg" Decker, whose been hurt or limited almost his entire time her (and was a major cause of our failure last year)?  All still (vastly overpaid) Jets.

Skrine?  F'ing Forte?  Dammit it all., all still Jets.

**** sake, at this point I wouldn't put it past this team to bring Geno back, and start him.  

Best of luck Nick, you're one of our best IMO.

Johnson has played fairly well, Nick was due like 10 Million, guess it was time.  Still all good points. 

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I understand the NFL is a business but this is a sad day for Jets fans, Thank you Nick!

Mangold should retire a Jet - hope he get s ring like so many other former Jets

Tom Brady will welcome Nick Mangold with open arms and next season we can all watch him in the Super Bowl. 

This is the only one of these that truly sucks.  Guy has been their best offensive player for the vast majority of his career.

That said, it's also unfortunate that the reality was they already have another guy who has shown the ability to step in for a fraction of the cost.  Sucks as a fan, but do have to at least somewhat appreciate the fact that this team seems to be willing to make real business decisions at this point, instead of being too clouded by the fan view, something the Jets have hardly been well known for (see: the Revis signing).

I actually ran into Nick at Disney this past Wednesday.  I was bringing my 22 month old into the Baby Care Center to change his diaper, and Nick was following his 2.5 year old daughter out (kid was super cute - in full Bippidy Boppidy Boutique princess gear).  I almost walked right by him before the beard registered.  He was following his daughter out the door, so I didn't say much - just that I was a big fan and appreciated all he'd done for the team.  Glad I got that chance before this news broke.

Will be rooting for him, wherever he lands, except against us, of course.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So, is Revis still a Jet?

So we clearly aren't a meritocracy or a values driven organization.

Revis is still a Jet because we don't have the cap room to cut him until the new league year opens 3/1.  His $2M roster bonus is due 3/3.  So he'll be cut on Weds or Thursday.

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I actually ran into Nick at Disney this past Wednesday.  I was bringing my 22 month old into the Baby Care Center to change his diaper, and Nick was following his 2.5 year old daughter out (kid was super cute - in full Bippidy Boppidy Boutique princess gear).  I almost walked right by him before the beard registered.  He was following his daughter out the door, so I didn't say much - just that I was a big fan and appreciated all he'd done for the team.  Glad I got that chance before this news broke.

Will be rooting for him, wherever he lands, except against us, of course.

Did he cut off a snippet of his beard to give you as a memento for you to hand down to your 22 month old when he grew up? If not, you should have asked.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did he cut off a snippet of his beard to give you as a memento for you to hand down to your 22 month old when he grew up? If not, you should have asked.

I did, but he was already out the door.  His little girl has some speed, he had to hustle

Just now, Doggin94it said:

I did, but he was already out the door.  His little girl has some speed, he had to hustle

That's fair. But then, you could have played the part of the creepy fan and chased him down to take intrusive cell phone pictures or video of him. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Okay. One of the harder cuts for me. It had to happen though. This has to mean that no Vet with a large cap # is safe. Could the purge just be beginning?

Or it could just be that, no matter how justly beloved he is/was by fans, he wasn't worth $9m to the 2017 Jets. Assuming he doesn't retire, my guess is he won't be worth $9m/year to anyone else either. He's not as reliable as he was health-wise, he's not as good as he was when healthy, and he was super-expensive. 

Doesn't take away from his great career in any way.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I like that this got neg repped. How dare you.

WTF -- I got neg repped for that? What "fan" wouldn't want a snippet of Nick Mangold's glorious beard, to have and cherish and keep under my pillow every night until it's time to pass down to the next generation?

I'll bet it smells like spruce trees and beer. Mmm.

Archived