This is going to be an UGLY season

CanadaSteve

Is this going to be one UGLY season coming up?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. This is shaping up to be one ugly season coming up. But how does everyone feel about it? We have trimmed 4 players already, and more could be on the way.

• Is it a complete roster overhaul with a full season of young guys showing their stuff
    • Is there no direction at all?
    • Could they be lining themselves up to potentially draft best QB available in 2018?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:
  • Home
  • Buffalo
  • Miami
  • New England
  • Kansas City
  • Chargers
  • Atlanta
  • Carolina
  • Jacksonville
  • Away
  • Buffalo
  • Miami
  • New England
  • Denver
  • Oakland
  • New Orleans
  • Tampa Bay
  • Cleveland

The question is, can we split with the Bills and take either the Browns or Jaguars game?

Otherwise we'll never get to 2-14.

SAR I

Leave no question and lose every ****kng game.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

My point is, lets not judge until we see the entire off season personnel moves.  The first step is cleaning house, now lets see what we add.  The Jets may be better next season than they were in 2016.

Why would they want to be better? If they aren't half-assing the rebuild again, this team should be a lot worse than last year record wise, and still get better as players. 

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am ok if the Jets do in 2017 what they should have done in 2015.

Tough to blame them for 2015 since it actually came close to working, they had cap space that had to be spent and a core of players they thought they could make the playoffs around.  Yes, I don't think they ever thought they were a SB contender.   But after Ryan Years 4-6 I think they wanted to show something.

And after 2015 they feel into the trap with Fitz and Revis, but it appears that they learned their lesson.

So if I am Woody I am giving Bowles and Macc a mini-restart-maybe a 1 year extension and instructions to build a sustainable winner the right way. When they have a solid core they can bring in veterans to fill holes and compete.   No QB, No LT, No EDGE and NO CB1 = No Solid Core.

Recall the GM and HC were hired independently from each other and report directly to Johnson in the bowl of spaghetti-like organization chart of the Jets. Macc, if he has a decent draft, may survive. Bowles has done absolutely nothing to recommend keeping this job and in fact given many reasons to fire his sorry ass forthwith. Suspect he is only still here because they  think (know) 2017 will be a disaster, so why pay 2 coaches and taint a new guy with the coming mess. 

i don't see what the big deal is.  they released players who were just over the hil and descending into the valley.  this is just like the 73 season where they parted with guys like maynard because they could no longer perform.  now there's the salary cap added to the equation and that sometimes forces guys out mainly because they cost too much.  enough naysaying about losing the older players.  heck did maygold play a full 16 games?  revis?  clady?  harris did but he also got burnt covering backs and slot receivers.

what they need to find is a stabilizing influence at qb.  this won't be a one year rental.  the players all know about what a guy like hoyer or mcnown or some other journeyman will bring to the table.  if they start out hot they will all start to believe but if not, then many people will get their wish for a 2 win season. the stabilizing qb will be a young proven vet or maybe hack/petty or maybe even a guy they draft.  that will give the team hope that they will be able to win some games.

36 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Recall the GM and HC were hired independently from each other and report directly to Johnson in the bowl of spaghetti-like organization chart of the Jets. Macc, if he has a decent draft, may survive. Bowles has done absolutely nothing to recommend keeping this job and in fact given many reasons to fire his sorry ass forthwith. Suspect he is only still here because they  think (know) 2017 will be a disaster, so why pay 2 coaches and taint a new guy with the coming mess. 

Legitimately surprised at how bad Bowles is. 

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Macc misconfigured the Jets last season. His roster management was atrocious. His cap situation is questionable. It is funny how many give him a pass when he has had two seasons to address the QB situation. His signing of Futz further mangled that situation.

There is plenty more. This Macc good/Bowles bad sh1t is no better than the Smith bs at QB. The Jets problems start with Macc. They get pushed on Bowles , his staff. Then get pushed to the players. Please just end the silliness. 

I don't think people understand how terrible Fitzpatrick was last season.  You could put a jugs machine back there and aim it in different directions and it would have had a better season.

Bowles is awful but he seems to have hired coaches with balls and that should help level things out.

I don't think we'll be as bad as last season and we actually have a chance to be ok depending on what happens the next 2 months.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don't know how, after watching Ryan screw the pooch by subcontracting out the offense to an OC, you make the same mistake all over again. It is not being a HC. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was showing signs of being a good coach in 2015.   He did a better job than Quinn did in a vacuum, but Quinn and his GM were doing a better job in 2015 that Quinn needed.

Bowles was just awful in 2016.  We all know that.  If he did not have 2015, in fact if that was his only year, he could have and should have been fired.  Its one thing to be a new coach and have a bad record, its another to be a new coach that looks like a bad job.  Pete Carroll did a better job in his one year than Bowles did in 2016, and we know how that ended up, long term and short term.

This is the tie breaker year for Bowles, and Macc has him held hostage somewhat, but somewhat.  Yes, Macc can pick players with a long-term view, but he really did not do a great job over the last 2 years getting Bowles players either.

I am optimistic that the 2 of them appear to do a better job in 2017.   I feel like the Jets have a better coaching staff in 2017 than they did in 2016.  What they do with the QB position will tell us what the organization as a whole is thinking.  

Optimistic is better than being negatively miserable.  The moves during the offseason overall are signs for optimism.

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What does everyone think?  I believe Marshall and quite possibly Decker could be gone.  Revis I bet will be gone.  They could be lining themselves up to be just a young team with no vets, seeing whose got what, and drafting REALLY high again in 2018.

It is far too early to say.  If we throw money at Glennon or Tyrod that would be a completely different path than if we let Hack/Petty be our main QBs.

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What does everyone think?  I believe Marshall and quite possibly Decker could be gone.  Revis I bet will be gone.  They could be lining themselves up to be just a young team with no vets, seeing whose got what, and drafting REALLY high again in 2018.

Marshall for sure should be cut after leading the league in dropped passes. I would keep Decker as a kind of mentor to the young stable of WR's. Decker still is in his prime I think and if he comes back healthy I say keep him. Revis can go any time as far as I am concerned. Calvin Pryor is another wasted draft pick who hasn't shown me squat since he got here.

41 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Marshall for sure should be cut after leading the league in dropped passes. I would keep Decker as a kind of mentor to the young stable of WR's. Decker still is in his prime I think and if he comes back healthy I say keep him. Revis can go any time as far as I am concerned. Calvin Pryor is another wasted draft pick who hasn't shown me squat since he got here.

I would trade Decker. He won't help the Jets win a SB. Phillycan get him for a pick. Maybe even 2 in 2018. Stack those picks.

The NYJ need more picks than Futz can throw this year and next year.

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Let's wait until free agency is through before we declare this. Continuing to rid the team of overpaid talent (Revis, Harris, and Gilchrist) then making FA moves with that money and bringing in a nice draft could easily make us a very competitive team next season.

QB is another story but the rest of the team could be in good shape with the right moves.

Fraud Agency splurging would be foolish. 

And even if Macc does the wrong thing and over spends, this team is so devoid of quality players that your notion of the Jets being "very competitive" falls somewhere between farfetched to downright ludicrous.  And I am not even taking into account that Bowles is awful when I say that. 

This should have been started two years ago.  Instead we signed a bunch of high priced guys who were old and didn't care last season.  I was hoping we would cut all the older guys except Mangold and Harris and get them at lower contracts.  Obviously that did not happen with Mangold and I doubt it happens with Harris at this point.

This team has for several years now had a medicore season followed by a 4-12 season.  It's time to get young, stop trading away draft picks and start to do legitimate rebuild.  I have no problem signing some young free agents to go with it. 

I think the Jets goal this year will be to avoid utter embarrassment that gets Bowles fired.

They will sign a number 1 corner and draft a defensive stud-Adams or Foster.  Hooker maybe but I worry about the Milliner injury effect.  Maybe even Fournette.  They will sign either Taylor, Glennon or Hoyer to bridge at QB.  They will sign someone to play LT.

They somehow will figure out FS.  A draft pick can work for that if they overdraft 3a.

They will keep Harris.

so they will stop the run, and try to stop the deep pass that killed them.   They should be able to run the ball.  If the box is stacked, someone throws deep to Anderson or D Smith.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets goal this year will be to avoid utter embarrassment that gets Bowles fired.

They will sign a number 1 corner and draft a defensive stud-Adams or Foster.  Hooker maybe but I worry about the Milliner injury effect.  Maybe even Fournette.  They will sign either Taylor, Glennon or Hoyer to bridge at QB.  They will sign someone to play LT.

They somehow will figure out FS.  A draft pick can work for that if they overdraft 3a.

They will keep Harris.

so they will stop the run, and try to stop the deep pass that killed them.   They should be able to run the ball.  If the box is stacked, someone throws deep to Anderson or D Smith.

Not what I want to see happen, but probably what will happen to try and  save their jobs.   Suspect they will draft Fournette.  Even though he won't have a very long shelf life, a RB will give them the most immediate impact.  Should save their jobs for 2 more years at 9-7, 7-9, then the inevitable 5-11 season will resurface.  Woody will hire a new HC, force him on the new GM nobody has ever heard of, Jets fans will proclaim the new duo the best pair since Batman and Robin, and we'll be off and running again. 

On February 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM, JetsFanatic said:

So far everyone we cut, other than perhaps Folk, did vitually nothing last season. (and we've added almost $30M in cap space for acquisitions) So how have we gotten worse?  

As I recall, Folk missed two extra points last season, one of which cost us the home opener. That was inexcusable

Archived