Suck for Sam in 17

Plenty of options for next year.  

We can Suck for Sam, or Rollover for Rosen.  There maybe some who want to Lose for Luke, or Fail for Falk.  But our best option just might be Get Wasted While Watching the Jets  and Waiting to Welcome the Wyoming kid (whose name everyone forgets).  Josh Allen.

• Upvote 4

The NFL is like the NBA now (except there's no lottery to worry about).  Either you have your franchise QB (or in the NBA's case, a top 7 or 8 player in the world), or you want to suck enough to get the top pick in a good QB draft year, so you don't have to give up 2-3 first rounders to move up. 

I fully support Macc's vision to Suck for Sam.  Let's tank for reals this time. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, 20andOut said:

You guys most have some top notch crystal balls the way you can read the future. Just a few problems; 1-Pronouncing some kid the next Peyton Manning after 10 college starts. 2- Assuming he will perform as well/ stay healthy in 2017. 3- assuming he enters the draft next year. 4- assuming we will be in a position to draft him in 2018.

Shh shh sh sh sh.  Just accept the inevitability.  Sam is the truth. 

On 3/1/2017 at 1:13 PM, Maxman said:

The kid looks amazing.

That said, I will root for the Jets to lose, NEVER. I will be at every game this year and will want them to win every one. I don't want to lose if I play checkers at a pre game tailgate.

Rooting to lose isn't healthy.

There is so much out of the Jets control. With their luck they would go 0 and 16 and pick second. With the 0 and 16 Browns picking first after winning a tie-breaker.

The Jets won't be picking first next year, so none of this matters.

You either want a shot at pick 32 or a shot at pick # 1.  In other words, "If you're not first, you're last." 

Since we're a lot closer to 1 than 32, I have little problem with rooting for something that will make our long-term future bright.  

• Upvote 1

Things change.  They always do.  I highly doubt that the 3 or 4 QB prospects being discussed today will be the same ones in 12 months that everyone sees as elite picks.  It's just how things work.

And, of course, the Jets will do something to goof up their spot.  I don't see them with a Top 3 pick.  They may be in the Top 10 but I don't see them being one of the very worst in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You either want a shot at pick 32 or a shot at pick # 1.  In other words, "If you're not first, you're last." 

Since we're a lot closer to 1 than 32, I have little problem with rooting for something that will make our long-term future bright.  

Exactly. If we had a great roster, capable of making the playoffs, I would never want to tank for a QB. In fact, this is the first time I have ever wanted the jets to tank. It's just a perfect scenario. We aren't winning anything this year and there just so happens to be an elite QB prospect likely coming out next year. 

Heading into last year, i didn't think we had a franchise QB but I also thought we could be decent and didn't love the 2017 crop of QBs. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2017 at 8:17 AM, loluchka80 said:

why would bowles and mccagnan purposely try and fail?  they are fighting for their jobs. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:35 AM, The Crusher said:

Exactly the problem.  

We need Coach Crusher.  Not only would we get Sam but we'd also be bringing in a beast Nose Tackle from Central Arkansas. 

On 3/1/2017 at 1:13 PM, Maxman said:

The kid looks amazing.

That said, I will root for the Jets to lose, NEVER. I will be at every game this year and will want them to win every one. I don't want to lose if I play checkers at a pre game tailgate.

Rooting to lose isn't healthy.

There is so much out of the Jets control. With their luck they would go 0 and 16 and pick second. With the 0 and 16 Browns picking first after winning a tie-breaker.

The Jets won't be picking first next year, so none of this matters.

Serious question: If we go 4-12 and finish with the 2nd to worst record next year (knowing that we would have had the 1st pick if we had gone 3-13) and Darnold turns out to be a stud QB, will  you look back in 10 years and give a crap about that 4th win in 2017 or will you regret not going 3-13 and getting Darnold?

Is getting that meaningless win in week 14 that important to you that it trumps becoming an elite NFL that competes for a title every year because we have that Brady/Manning/Elway/Favre type QB?

Yeah, i know there is no guarantee that Darnold will be great, just like there was no guarantee that Elway/Peyton/Luck would be great but guess what....

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2017 at 11:11 AM, Jet Nut said:

And until he won game 9 no one knew him, few mentioned him.  

All of a sudden USC QBs with only 10 games under their belt are can't miss, Luck type QBs.

Well by the end of next year he'll have 25 games under his belt, including 2 playoff games. 

On 3/2/2017 at 10:34 PM, johnnyjet said:

We have 0 good players now.  This dream is becoming a reality.  I almost want them to sign Romo. Big 1 year cap hit so we can sign anyone else.  He gets hurt in preseason game 3 as JPP clubs him.  Done for the year, Hack is names the starter and he can't hit a barn wall from inside the barn.  1-15 BOOM, with the number one pick in the 2018 draft the Jets pick.........

WHATEVER IT TAKES

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The NFL is like the NBA now (except there's no lottery to worry about).  Either you have your franchise QB (or in the NBA's case, a top 7 or 8 player in the world), or you want to suck enough to get the top pick in a good QB draft year, so you don't have to give up 2-3 first rounders to move up. 

I fully support Macc's vision to Suck for Sam.  Let's tank for reals this time. 

And how do we do that exactly.

On 2/28/2017 at 8:25 PM, johnnyjet said:

The greatest thing is mac and Bowles are honestly going to try to win now. But we still get a top 5 pick next yr guaranteed lol. Which is win win. You don't want to see your team lose on purpose. It's going to a miserable yr. But the second the season is over and we see our draft position, this place will be jumping ha 

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Things change.  They always do.  I highly doubt that the 3 or 4 QB prospects being discussed today will be the same ones in 12 months that everyone sees as elite picks.  It's just how things work.

And, of course, the Jets will do something to goof up their spot.  I don't see them with a Top 3 pick.  They may be in the Top 10 but I don't see them being one of the very worst in the NFL.

You may be right.  And maybe we do find a way to win an extra game or two and end up picking around 6 again next year.  But when you look at this roster, even though there is some talent, it is not in premium positions.  We don't have a QB or a legit #1 WR or a feature back under 30 years old.  Our best WR is coming off shoulder surgery.  We are not sure what we have at either tackle position and our center has never started for a full season.  On the defensive side of the ball, we have no edge rusher or shut down CB, our LBs struggle in coverage and the 2 safeties we added this weekend, while talented, will both be rookies.

Some guys we don't expect could step up (including Petty/Hack) and prove they are players, and we could be better than most of us expect.  But given the number of holes we have at the most important positions in the game, I don't think it is unreasonable to think we might be in the discussion for a top 3 pick.

I know it's early, but it's worth looking at teams that might finish in the top draft spots and see which have QBs and which do not.

E.g. Jets, SF and Cleveland will be prime candidates for a top spot in the draft, and all need a QB

Chicago are prime candidates for a top spot but will not draft a QB.

If Jax or Buffalo are picking high again I'd expect them to be interested in a QB. Tennessee and Philly are less likely to be interested in a QB.

26 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I know it's early, but it's worth looking at teams that might finish in the top draft spots and see which have QBs and which do not.

E.g. Jets, SF and Cleveland will be prime candidates for a top spot in the draft, and all need a QB

Chicago are prime candidates for a top spot but will not draft a QB.

If Jax or Buffalo are picking high again I'd expect them to be interested in a QB. Tennessee and Philly are less likely to be interested in a QB.

If we don't have the first pick the Browns and the Bills have the ammo to jump in front of us. I would have liked to take a later round QB like Peterman this year , but it's a risky move to bet on next years draft. We have so many needs. I understand the concept of waiting until next year when their are better prospects, but it's just not a sure thing and we can't give up our whole draft and possibly  our first the year  after with all the holes we have. I do believe we will be bad enough to be picking in the top 5.  Mac better hope he was right on not taking any QB's this year, especially if one of them turns into Dak or Wilson.  Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You are so negative

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And, of course, the Jets Bowles will do something to goof up their spot.  I don't see them with a Top 3 pick.  They may be in the Top 10 but I don't see them being one of the very worst in the NFL.

fixed

22 hours ago, Pcola said:

The Chargers still have Rivers and then used this draft (smart or not) to support him.  Not the best move long term, but they will win enough games to be out of the running.

SF could be bad enough.  I just hope that Shanahan will coach up their QBs enough.  Plus they play the Rams twice.  

Chargers took Rivers when they had Brees and now this could be Rivers' final shot in 2017. 

SF will see very quickly what hot garbage Hoyer is and I expect Goff will win a few, he can't be that awful.

Because of the unknown, Jets need the #1 pick locked in a vault to prevent any surprise trades if it's in another team's hands.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:29 AM, NoBowles said:

0-16!

#JUSTDOIT!!

Knowing Jets' luck, if they went 0-16 there'd be another 0-16 team that would win the drafting tiebreaker and get the 1st overall.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Knowing Jets' luck, if they went 0-16 there'd be another 0-16 team that would win the drafting tiebreaker and get the 1st overall.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

probably  :cussing:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Plenty of options for next year.  

We can Suck for Sam, or Rollover for Rosen.  There maybe some who want to Lose for Luke, or Fail for Falk.  But our best option just might be Get Wasted While Watching the Jets  and Waiting to Welcome the Wyoming kid (whose name everyone forgets).  Josh Allen.

The BEST scenario is that Hack/Petty rise to the occasion putting us in the cat-bird seat with teams looking to trade up.

I'd be OK going 6-10 if it means 1 of our young QB's shows excellent development and leadership. If they suck..... then we "Suck for Sam"

• Upvote 4

We’ve been over how forcing a quarterback investment in the wrong year can be catastrophic for a franchise. And several teams seem to be listening.

Why? I’d love to say it’s because they read it here. The truth is, this year it’s easier, because next year’s quarterback class figures to be much better. Maybe Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson wind up making it. The consensus in league circles is that USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Wyoming’s Josh Allen have a significantly better chance too.

So the Niners and Browns and Jets may well look pretty sharp in 12 months time.

“I think all three (this year) are bottom 10 starters, maybe Mahomes with his upside creeps in to the bottom 15,” said one AFC college scouting director. “The kid from USC has a chance; Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication, to work through. And the Wyoming kid is a big, talented player. It’s a good group. It should be much better than this group.”

The Niners, by the way, took Iowa’s C.J. Beathard in the third round, the Browns took DeShone Kizer in the second round, and the Jets punted on the ’17 class all together. So each team left its quarterback options open, and in addition to the college kids, Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins could be available.

Put it together, and we’ll all be over-analyzing how Rosen, Darnold and Allen perform in 2017 (should they all declare). Should we just go ahead and start now? Let’s do it! Here’s a second executive, this from another AFC team, to break down quickly the holes in the résumés of Rosen, Darnold and Allen.

• Allen: “I’ve heard all good things. And from what I’ve seen, the raw tools are all there, but he needs to develop his accuracy and his toughness. The size and arm talent are outstanding.”

• Darnold: “The USC kid, the makeup, the intangibles, the intelligence, everything is there. He’s the most accurate of the group. He’s probably the least physically talented (of the three), but he’s the guy you’d pick to play a game right now if you had to. He does have a little bit of a windup.”

• Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

As for how this group stacks up to the one just drafted into the NFL, our exec said, “I like Trubisky best, and I think they have a chance to be better than Trubisky was coming out. This was not a good year (at QB).”

And if next year is what we’re expecting, sitting this one out figures to make a handful of teams prescient in their restraint.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/04/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-nfl-draft-notebook#

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

When was the last time a USC QB turned out to be a good pro?

Darnold doesn't have anything to do with past QB failures. This is a different coaching staff. I don't see why Sanchez and Barkley stinking have anything to do with Darnold. A QB can never be a good pro if they go to USC? Makes no sense. There are only a handful of good QBs in the NFL. Palmer was one of them for a while, and not that it matters he went to USC

• Upvote 1