Suck for Sam in 17

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

• Darnold: “The USC kid, the makeup, the intangibles, the intelligence, everything is there. He’s the most accurate of the group. He’s probably the least physically talented (of the three), but he’s the guy you’d pick to play a game right now if you had to. He does have a little bit of a windup.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/04/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-nfl-draft-notebook#

Just wait till he throws 49mph.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Aarond Rodgers went Cal, so Goff should have been awesome last year based on that logic....oh wait...

Ponder and Manuel went round 1 way more recently than Leinhart and Sanchez..no QB from FSU will be good I guess.. oh wait, Winston looks pretty good so far

• Upvote 1

Well arguably, the four most critical positions in the NFL are QB, LT, Pass Rusher, and CB.
And we have McCown, Ijalana, Mauldin, and Claiborne/Skrine.
If that's not #1 pick material, I have no idea what is.

When realty sets in...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2017 at 1:50 PM, Tinstar said:

I especially like the part about the windup throwing motion .

It is accurate. I like Darnold, but I don't think he is clearly the best prospect coming out next year. Also, Rudolph should be getting mentioned along with the other 3. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

It is accurate. I like Darnold, but I don't think he is clearly the best prospect coming out next year. Also, Rudolph should be getting mentioned along with the other 3. 

Maybe he isn't.  Being in the position to have our choice is still for the best though, no?

• Upvote 2

Let's see: Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez (we all remember him, right?), John Booty, Matt Barkley, etc. these were all USC QBs drafted to the NFL, and none of them ever rose to anything above mediocrity (at best). Why would Darnold be any different?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, gEYno said:

Maybe he isn't.  Being in the position to have our choice is still for the best though, no?

No beloved, having Hackenberg turn into an NFL starting QB that make defensive coordinators have sleepless nights is in our best interest .  That way, a few of the other premium positions on the team can be address if there is a player worthy of the pick that's available when and if the Jets should get the opportunity to take one. We have had 2 opportunities to pick what was the consensus best player available and we have made those picks . Unfornatuately, neither of those picks were players that fill a premium position and 1 filled a dire need .

On 5/4/2017 at 0:44 PM, C Mart said:

We’ve been over how forcing a quarterback investment in the wrong year can be catastrophic for a franchise. And several teams seem to be listening.

Why? I’d love to say it’s because they read it here. The truth is, this year it’s easier, because next year’s quarterback class figures to be much better. Maybe Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson wind up making it. The consensus in league circles is that USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Wyoming’s Josh Allen have a significantly better chance too.

So the Niners and Browns and Jets may well look pretty sharp in 12 months time.

“I think all three (this year) are bottom 10 starters, maybe Mahomes with his upside creeps in to the bottom 15,” said one AFC college scouting director. “The kid from USC has a chance; Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication, to work through. And the Wyoming kid is a big, talented player. It’s a good group. It should be much better than this group.”

The Niners, by the way, took Iowa’s C.J. Beathard in the third round, the Browns took DeShone Kizer in the second round, and the Jets punted on the ’17 class all together. So each team left its quarterback options open, and in addition to the college kids, Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins could be available.

Put it together, and we’ll all be over-analyzing how Rosen, Darnold and Allen perform in 2017 (should they all declare). Should we just go ahead and start now? Let’s do it! Here’s a second executive, this from another AFC team, to break down quickly the holes in the résumés of Rosen, Darnold and Allen.

• Allen: “I’ve heard all good things. And from what I’ve seen, the raw tools are all there, but he needs to develop his accuracy and his toughness. The size and arm talent are outstanding.”

• Darnold: “The USC kid, the makeup, the intangibles, the intelligence, everything is there. He’s the most accurate of the group. He’s probably the least physically talented (of the three), but he’s the guy you’d pick to play a game right now if you had to. He does have a little bit of a windup.”

• Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

As for how this group stacks up to the one just drafted into the NFL, our exec said, “I like Trubisky best, and I think they have a chance to be better than Trubisky was coming out. This was not a good year (at QB).”

And if next year is what we’re expecting, sitting this one out figures to make a handful of teams prescient in their restraint.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/04/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-nfl-draft-notebook#

" I like Trubisky best, and I think they have a chance to be better than Trubisky was coming out. This was not a good year(at QB)."  Have a chance to be better? Wow, that says it all. Mortgage the future on a guy who may be better than Trubisky? This gets better all the time. Why not shoot higher, like maybe better than Geno?:D

50 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No beloved, having Hackenberg turn into an NFL starting QB that make defensive coordinators have sleepless nights is in our best interest .  That way, a few of the other premium positions on the team can be address if there is a player worthy of the pick that's available when and if the Jets should get the opportunity to take one. We have had 2 opportunities to pick what was the consensus best player available and we have made those picks . Unfornatuately, neither of those picks were players that fill a premium position and 1 filled a dire need .

Yes - I guess I was only considering realistic options.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yes - I guess I was only considering realistic options.

That's fair, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Hackenberg being successful is in the best interest of the Jets and therefore, to those who hope for the opportunity to get too and win another championship .

The Jets need to start filling those elusive Premium positions, and to be honest, I could careless where or how the players are acquired .  The offensive line that helped Emmitt Smith to the rushing record and protected Troy Aikman didn't all come by 1st round or early round picks .

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I fear for the mental well-being of this fan base when we win our 6th game next year. Truly.

I get that the #1 overall is unlikely, only because there are multiple teams in contention for it, and we play some of them, but I'm not sure where you've found 6 wins on this schedule.  This team is worse on paper than last years team, especially in terms of potential to score points.  The ball bounces a lot of ways over the course of a season, but there's really only 1 team I see as talentless as the Jets, and that's the 49ers.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I get that the #1 overall is unlikely, only because there are multiple teams in contention for it, and we play some of them, but I'm not sure where you've found 6 wins on this schedule.  This team is worse on paper than last years team, especially in terms of potential to score points.  The ball bounces a lot of ways over the course of a season, but there's really only 1 team I see as talentless as the Jets, and that's the 49ers.

I think it's dependent on Mccown staying healthy or not. The schedule looks fairly light, too. 6 wins wouldnt surprise me.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Tell me how this team is worst off than it was last year ?

Mangold didn't play much last year, and his replacement had that time to improve his game and did so . Marshall had butter fingers all year and the QB throwing the football couldn't get the ball to his receivers who went downfield . The Jets identified a talent they didn't realize was there in Bilal Powell . The Starting LT for most of last season was hurt until he couldn't play anymore and his replacement from last season is back and has competition at the position from a player who was highly regarded until he got hurt . The same 2 kid QBs are back, but this time they have a veteran player with them who can get the ball downfield and will be there with them from the start of OTAs unlike last year .

Age and experience that wasn't on the field has been replace with youth and exuberance  that should be on the field . Old soldiers who were set in their ways have been replaced by young players who will have new voices talking to them and guiding their path . A sense of entitlement has been replaced by competition where everyone starts on the same page learning anew scheme .

Again I asked, how is this team worse than last year when those who are gone either didn't play last year or contributed heavily to the outcome of last season ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Mangold didn't play much last year, and his replacement had that time to improve his game and did so . Marshall had butter fingers all year and the QB throwing the football couldn't get the ball to his receivers who went downfield . The Jets identified a talent they didn't realize was there in Bilal Powell . The Starting LT for most of last season was hurt until he couldn't play anymore and his replacement from last season is back and has competition at the position from a player who was highly regarded until he got hurt . The same 2 kid QBs are back, but this time they have a veteran player with them who can get the ball downfield and will be there with them from the start of OTAs unlike last year .

Age and experience that wasn't on the field has been replace with youth and exuberance  that should be on the field . Old soldiers who were set in their ways have been replaced by young players who will have new voices talking to them and guiding their path . A sense of entitlement has been replaced by competition where everyone starts on the same page learning anew scheme .

Again I asked, how is this team worse than last year when those who are gone either didn't play last year or contributed heavily to the outcome of last season ?

You're acting like improvement is a given.  The only reason to think they are better is because you're optimistic they will be.

Marshall was still a major part of the offense, there just wasn't much offense to speak of.  Powell was a refreshing surprise, but not a #1 back.

McCown's record over the last few years should speak for itself, he's not an upgrade over Fitz, in fact, he's a downgrade.

Re: Youth, the team may be better poised for the long term today, but there is no measurable reason to think that this season will be a step forward.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You're acting like improvement is a given.  The only reason to think they are better is because you're optimistic they will be.

Marshall was still a major part of the offense, there just wasn't much offense to speak of.  Powell was a refreshing surprise, but not a #1 back.

McCown's record over the last few years should speak for itself, he's not an upgrade over Fitz, in fact, he's a downgrade.

Re: Youth, the team may be better poised for the long term today, but there is no measurable reason to think that this season will be a step forward.

Plus an unproven rookie OC

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Yes, I prefer to be optimistic, but just like there is no guarantee that these players will succeed, there's no guarantee that they won't .  Oh and by the way, I'm also optimistic that McCown will not be the opening day starter . Oh, and you may think Fitz is a better QB than McCown, but I know different .

I'm a Jet fan, so please forgive me if I prefer to believe that my team have a chance to succeed instead of walking around hoping they stink so I can say I told you so . 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

.... forgive me if I prefer to believe that my team have a chance to succeed instead of walking around hoping they stink so I can say I told you so . 

Do you think that is why people hold the viewpoints they hold?

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You, no, but others around here yes. There's a faction around here that enjoys trolling, and make it their business to do so as often as they can . I have many blocked on here, but I have never felt the need to block you even thou we don't always agree .

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Really, who did we lose that contributed?

QB play can't be worse.   If Mac hit on the 2 safeties, our defensive backfield will be way better.   Mo has no excuses not to play well, Sheldon is playing for a contract some where.  They can win 5-6 games.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Yes, I prefer to be optimistic, but just like there is no guarantee that these players will succeed, there's no guarantee that they won't .  Oh and by the way, I'm also optimistic that McCown will not be the opening day starter . Oh, and you may think Fitz is a better QB than McCown, but I know different .

I'm a Jet fan, so please forgive me if I prefer to believe that my team have a chance to succeed instead of walking around hoping they stink so I can say I told you so . 

You can be as optimistic as you like... But, optimism, nor pessimism, belong in any discussion hoping to explore the realistic outlook of this team.

As for you knowing differently that McCown is better than Fitz?  Is that based on Fitz's higher career passer rating, his better career TD to INT ratio, his better career completion percentage, his higher TD percentage, his higher winning percentage, or the fact that for the Jets, Fitzpatrick had more wins in 2 seasons than McCown has had since 2004?  Or, is this also just based on ignoring reality in favor of optimism?

Again, be any kind of fan you want to be, but for the sake of discussion, you might as well just say, "Go Jets!" and leave it at that.  No one is here to say "I told you so" either, much as the optimists of the board want to believe that.  Unfortunately, those you label as pessimists or trolls happen just happen to be right more often then not because the Jets continue to suck and continue to make decisions that keep them on a path to sucking.  If this were just about attitude, and not about a realistic assessment, you'd think us "trolls" would be wrong more often than we are.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The irony is, the majority of the "I told you so" threads over the last few years on this board generally came whenever Mark Sanchez did something good.

37 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You can be as optimistic as you like... But, optimism, nor pessimism, belong in any discussion hoping to explore the realistic outlook of this team.

As for you knowing differently that McCown is better than Fitz?  Is that based on Fitz's higher career passer rating, his better career TD to INT ratio, his better career completion percentage, his higher TD percentage, his higher winning percentage, or the fact that for the Jets, Fitzpatrick had more wins in 2 seasons than McCown has had since 2004?  Or, is this also just based on ignoring reality in favor of optimism?

Again, be any kind of fan you want to be, but for the sake of discussion, you might as well just say, "Go Jets!" and leave it at that.  No one is here to say "I told you so" either, much as the optimists of the board want to believe that.  Unfortunately, those you label as pessimists or trolls happen just happen to be right more often then not because the Jets continue to suck and continue to make decisions that keep them on a path to sucking.  If this were just about attitude, and not about a realistic assessment, you'd think us "trolls" would be wrong more often than we are.

Why do you think I consider you a troll ? You can be passionate about the Jets either way, but when you post just to get a rise out of another poster instead of having a true viewpoint, then you're a troll .

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

shouldn't it be suck for whoever #3 will be? Well, probably number #7 because Macc will screw up the pick.

1-2 fluke wins is all it takes to screw everything up.  Jameis Winston would be in a Jet jersey right now but Rex had to win a couple meaningless late season games in 2014