Jets?Bears suitors for Glennon?

Scott Dierking

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports the Jets plan to make a "big push" for free agent Mike Glennon when the new league year begins on Thursday.

However, Pauline reports the "vast majority" of league personnel currently in Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine believe Glennon will end up signing with the Bears. The Jets and Bears are the only two teams known to have Glennon on their radars. 27-year-old Glennon has spent the last two years backing up Jameis Winston after losing his starting job to Josh McCown in 2014.

******* Mac spends 2 picks on QBs, shells out a draft pick and a contract to Fitz, and now he's going to give the guys who couldn't keep the starting gig in TAMPA the Brinks truck treatment. 

Sigh. I hope he can play. As of now, he's leading the league in imagined success metrics by message board GMs.

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

******* Mac spends 2 picks on QBs, shells out a draft pick and a contract to Fitz, and now he's going to give the guys who couldn't keep the starting gig in TAMPA the Brinks truck treatment. 

Sigh. I hope he can play. As of now, he's leading the league in imagined success metrics by message board GMs.

But he's Executive of the Year he knows what he's doing. 

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

Pretty sure that's the normal practice at the combine / scouting

That is not quite true.  Each team only gets 60 formal meetings.  Why spend 3 or more of those on QBs unless you are serious about potentially investing on one?

20 hours ago, Dinamite said:

That is not quite true.  Each team only gets 60 formal meetings.  Why spend 3 or more of those on QBs unless you are serious about potentially investing on one?

Jets first chance to interview/speak to these 3. None of these 3 were at the Sr Bowl and/or E-W Shrine game. 

26 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets first chance to interview/speak to these 3. None of these 3 were at the Sr Bowl and/or E-W Shrine game. 

And what do we have on our roster that would prevent us from being interested in a QB ?  Jet fans are talking up guys like Mike Glennon and Chase Daniels as starters for peak sake .

On March 4, 2017 at 5:12 AM, Tinstar said:

At what cost ? No Thanks, bring in an old vet (McCown) for moral support and go with the kids   .

No point in signing that dud  McClown

His scrub Pom Poms are going to morph Petty into a good qb?

7 hours ago, thadude said:

No point in signing that dud  McClown

His scrub Pom Poms are going to morph Petty into a good qb?

Then he would have done his job . That's why we signed Fitz, and that's why we should sign McCown, not as a starter or even a challenger, but as a sounding board for the starting QB when he comes off the field and before the QB coach starts bending his ear. .

On 3/4/2017 at 3:42 PM, Integrity28 said:

To be fair I just googled imagination for an image So many awesome ones. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Jetsbb said:

I think Jets first target will be Glennon with Jay Cutler the backup option if he goes to Chicago.

That's the way it looks to me, too.  The logic is inescapable.  The FO does not want to go with Petty Hack and then role the dice in the draft which, of course, comes AFTER FA, and after the opportunity to make a big trade will likely have passed.  If the Bears get Glennon, they will have to move Cutler and will likely be willing to eat some of his contract.  If they want to move Cutler, the Jets are the most logical option.

Likely it will be either Glennon at @$15 mil a season or Cutler at what ends up being @$10mil.  Pick your poison.  A distant third option might be Foles, but I don't see Taylor as an available option.  In the draft I can see the Jets going Qb if a solid prospect falls to them since they really seem not to want to count on Petty and Hack, but that depends.  I am far from confident even if they get either Glennon or Cutler that they will want to go into the season with either Petty or Hack as the #2.

16 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

That's the way it looks to me, too.  The logic is inescapable.  The FO does not want to go with Petty Hack and then role the dice in the draft which, of course, comes AFTER FA, and after the opportunity to make a big trade will likely have passed.  If the Bears get Glennon, they will have to move Cutler and will likely be willing to eat some of his contract.  If they want to move Cutler, the Jets are the most logical option.

Likely it will be either Glennon at @$15 mil a season or Cutler at what ends up being @$10mil.  Pick your poison.  A distant third option might be Foles, but I don't see Taylor as an available option.  In the draft I can see the Jets going Qb if a solid prospect falls to them since they really seem not to want to count on Petty and Hack, but that depends.  I am far from confident even if they get either Glennon or Cutler that they will want to go into the season with either Petty or Hack as the #2.

Aside from the mind-numbingly dumb Fitzpatrick contract last year, the Jets have been very frugal at the QB position since Mac took over. I'm not convinced that they absolutely don't want to go with Petty or Hackenberg as the starter, let alone the backup. I think they'd like to have a QB on the roster that gives them the option to keep them both on the bench, but I expect them both to be on the roster, and I don't expect the team to carry four QBs again. Petty or Hack will be -at a minimum- the team's backup QB. And I also think $2M for a Hoyer-type is more likely than $15M for Glennon or $10M for Cutler. 

Archived