Report: Jets management doesn't expect to be good for a couple years

King P

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not I'm truly wishing you an enjoyable ride. 

Ive been there and done that now its your turn. 

Dont put words in my mouth and i wont put them in yours. 

joewilly12 

How about you don't use words at all.  It's time for you to go again.

SAR I

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The question is when did the clock start ticking?

Did Maccagnan start the rebuild in 2015 and we got one enjoyable 10 win season out of it as a bonius?  Or did it just start today when Marshall got cut?

SAR I

this was talked about a couple of years ago how they were trying to compete will re-tooling.  the contracts were structured for an offseason like this.  we fell short in 2015 and were a disaster in 2016 but it did start in 2015.  

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's the beauty of Stubhub and having a team in a metropolis with 20 million people.  Even in the crappy Geno Smith years and last year, we are #1 in the AFC in attendance.  If some Jets fans get $15 tickets, who cares?  They show up.  Younger fans get to go to their first game.  Poor people get a great day out with the family that's cheaper than Adventureland or Rye Playland.  That's a good thing.

SAR I

not in real attendance.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So how is woody being detached a bad thing? The Yankees turned into dynasty AFTER Steinbrenner was forced out and the GM was able to just make some long term moves. Woody, like George, wants to be good every year. The problem is that you never become great. If we can suck for a year or even two and restock our team with a franchise QB and some more pieces we will be better off. 

Am I looking forward to watching another 16 miserable games with my son? No. But if it means we land Sam Darnold for the next 15 years then I am all for it. 

I didn't say it's a bad or a good thing time will tell. But The one thing I'm not concerned about yet is Sam Darnold and next offseason ..

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So how is woody being detached a bad thing? The Yankees turned into dynasty AFTER Steinbrenner was forced out and the GM was able to just make some long term moves. Woody, like George, wants to be good every year. The problem is that you never become great. If we can suck for a year or even two and restock our team with a franchise QB and some more pieces we will be better off. 

Am I looking forward to watching another 16 miserable games with my son? No. But if it means we land Sam Darnold for the next 15 years then I am all for it. 

the problem is that can change quick as far as Darnold goes.  I remember fans wanted to "bag it for Barkley", remember when Hack was the next sure thing.  we have no idea if Darnold is for real or not. if we suck and we get him I sure hope so but a lot can change btw now and when he comes out.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

huh? the future looked as bright as ever when we left the old stadium for the new Stadium, no one was leaving b/c they thought the Jets would suck, we left b/c we didn't want to get ripped off and we can still go for a fraction of the price.

In 2008 when the Jets announced the PSL's there was outrage, tons of Giants Stadium fans in great seats who didn't want to take a lesser location and pay a license announced that they were done with the Jets.

Then in 2009 the Jets surprised everyone, won 2 playoff games, and made it to the AFC Championship Game.  Suddenly those fans started scooping up upper deck seats in droves.  Getting upper deck seats is pretty good when we are playoff-caliber it seemed.

Then the upper deck emptied out after the 2011 season when those same relocated Giants Stadium fans realized we were not getting back to the playoffs and the Rex Ryan era was on the way down.  On JI there were scores of upper deck fans announcing how they were done with the Jets after the 0-3 implosion to end that year and the Giants Super Bowl victory.

And, remember, you can only go for a fraction of the price because of PSL owners like me who allow you to do it.  So be nice.  Or we'll cut you off.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I didn't say it's a bad or a good thing time will tell. But The one thing I'm not concerned about yet is Sam Darnold and next offseason ..

I agree, the past two weeks have been way too much fun.Just keep those cuts coming.:D

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

For a guy who supposedly has a net worth of $10 million you certainly don't act like it. 

joewilly12 

For a guy who supposedly is a diehard Jets fan you spend a lot of time personally attacking other Jets fans.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the problem is that can change quick as far as Darnold goes.  I remember fans wanted to "bag it for Barkley", remember when Hack was the next sure thing.  we have no idea if Darnold is for real or not. if we suck and we get him I sure hope so but a lot can change btw now and when he comes out.

Yeah, you don't realize how good Darnold is. That's fine. The talent evaluators in the league understand and there will be more than one team tanking for Darnold this year.  

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't believe this story at all. Makes no sense. Everything we've heard regarding Maac and Bowles after last season and people really think they are going to gut this roster and do what? Not spend big in FA to try and win? I doubt it.

I am good with the Revis and Mangold cuts, that made sense to me.

But in order to validate the two young quarterbacks effectively you need to give them quality receiving targets.  If we lose both Decker and Marshall, how are we supposed to see if Petty and Hackenberg are any good?  The narrative on the receivers we have left is that they are 'developing' and that's nice, but they aren't Marshall and Decker.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

But in order to validate the two young quarterbacks effectively you need to give them quality receiving targets.  If we lose both Decker and Marshall, how are we supposed to see if Petty and Hackenberg are any good?  The narrative on the receivers we have left is that they are 'developing' and that's nice, but they aren't Marshall and Decker.

SAR I

I completely agree. I'm not a fan of cutting Marshall. Him and Decker made Fitz look like a decent NFL QB. I'd love to see both of them on the field with Enunwa and Anderson with a young QB or even a vet whose better than Fitz.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In 2008 when the Jets announced the PSL's there was outrage, tons of Giants Stadium fans in great seats who didn't want to take a lesser location and pay a license announced that they were done with the Jets.

Then in 2009 the Jets surprised everyone, won 2 playoff games, and made it to the AFC Championship Game.  Suddenly those fans started scooping up upper deck seats in droves.  Getting upper deck seats is pretty good when we are playoff-caliber it seemed.

Then the upper deck emptied out after the 2011 season when those same relocated Giants Stadium fans realized we were not getting back to the playoffs and the Rex Ryan era was on the way down.  On JI there were scores of upper deck fans announcing how they were done with the Jets after the 0-3 implosion to end that year and the Giants Super Bowl victory.

And, remember, you can only go for a fraction of the price because of PSL owners like me who allow you to do it.  So be nice.  Or we'll cut you off.

SAR I

why would people want to pay for PSLs in a worse football stadium for the fans?

the UD wasn't full in 2010 and a main reason the stadium was close to full was b/c opposing fans were filling the stadium.   people didn't all of a sudden realize b/c we missed the playoffs in 2011 that we would suck for the next 5-7 years and stop going.  at the time we missed in 2011 we still had talent and a good coach and our longest playoff drought from 1998-2010 was 2 seasons so it was reasonable to think we'd be back w/in a year or 2.

I go when I want to go now and I pay what I want to pay rather than being locked into a worthless PSL.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, you don't realize how good Darnold is. That's fine. The talent evaluators in the league understand and there will be more than one team tanking for Darnold this year.  

I am not saying he isn't really good but we hear about this stuff all the time.  I haven;'t watched him enough to give an informed opinion but I see guys talked about like this almost every year.  the Andrew Luck can't miss guys are extremely rare.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

n 2008 when the Jets announced the PSL's there was outrage, tons of Giants Stadium fans in great seats who didn't want to take a lesser location and pay a license announced that they were done with the Jets.

Just because many of us opted out of season tickets and PSL's doesn't mean we were done with the Jets we chose not to participate in the Woody Johnson Ponzi scheme. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

For a guy who supposedly is a diehard Jets fan you spend a lot of time personally attacking other Jets fans.

SAR I

I have not personally attacked anyone, how original. 

You on the other hand should be ashamed of yourself to even make a statement like that after all the drivel and negative stuff you post about others on this forum. 

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yup, it's still fun in 232A, wouldn't change a thing for the memories we've already had and the ones that will come.

I don't think Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans who ponied up for season tickets 20 years before their Super Bowl and now 15 years after their Super Bowl have any regrets.  Because they were there and were rewarded immeasurably when they won it.  That's what non-season ticket holders don't understand.

SAR I

indeed

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

are we "rebuilding" or turning into the Browns, Don't be so sold on the catchy term of "rebuild". Its a gamble

"Rebuild" sounds a lot better than "entering a decade-long period of abject suckitude".  Gotta still sell tickets and beers.

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Good point, but I would add that when Marshall is not happy with his qb (see last year), he becomes a disinterested drop machine. Would hate to lose Decker as I think he does have value with a young wr group.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

are we "rebuilding" or turning into the Browns, Don't be so sold on the catchy term of "rebuild". Its a gamble

Were we all that much better than the Browns last year, with all that high-priced talent on the team?

When you're ALREADY as bad as the Browns, it's really not that much of a risk.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Were we all that much better than the Browns last year, with all that high-priced talent on the team?

There is nowhere to go but up. 

If Macc and Bowles fail to improve this team in 2017 they will both be gone. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

the browns are not far away from being competitive.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am not saying he isn't really good but we hear about this stuff all the time.  I haven;'t watched him enough to give an informed opinion but I see guys talked about like this almost every year.  the Andrew Luck can't miss guys are extremely rare.

He is the Andrew Luck "can't miss" guy. Even if he falls apart/gets hurt/doesn't come out there are a few other players worthy of the top pick in next years draft including another QB (Rosen) and a great OT in McGlinchey. So if you are going to tank, this is the year to do it. 

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

The key to being good for 15 years is landing a stud at quarterback. 

The key to landing a stud quarterback is sucking horribly in a year when there's a really good quarterback class.

Trust the process.

#Darnold2018

This is true but the process here doesn't seem to work that way. 

Sooner or later though we have to get lucky and choose that franchise QB. 

Keep the faith. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He is the Andrew Luck "can't miss" guy. Even if he falls apart/gets hurt/doesn't come out there are a few other players worthy of the top pick in next years draft including another QB (Rosen) and a great OT in McGlinchey. So if you are going to tank, this is the year to do it. 

I am not saying you are wrong, I haven't watched him a ton and no one really started talking about him until his great rose Bowl.  things do change but I hope you are right and he becomes a Jet if you are right.

Well actions speak louder than words so we'll see what they actually do.  I have no issue with a REAL rebuild, just friggin do it.  Only sign younger FAs, get rid of dead wood.  Acquire more picks.  Start these prospect QBs instead of some vet jag,

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Well actions speak louder than words so we'll see what they actually do.  I have no issue with a REAL rebuild, just friggin do it.  Only sign younger FAs, get rid of dead wood.  Acquire more picks.  Start these prospect QBs instead of some vet jag,

Agree if we're going to go 2-14 lets do it with a rookie QB not some other teams old garbage. 

47 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Well... I consider your post an improvement.   For awhile there you wouldn't even acknowledge there is such a thing as a rebuild.

Look at the Detroit Red Wings.  Great example. A model franchise of NHL success for 60 years currently stuck at the bottom of the standings.  They will be back on top... but it will take time and patience.

The Jets have to do this.  The Browns model in place by the analytics guys is the correct one.  Execution is the only question mark. It appears that the Jets front office finally figured it out.  I think the Browns will be playing 8-8 ball in 2018 and/or 2019.  And possibly contending for AFCN titles beyond that when Ben and Flacco slow down.

Archived