..and there goes Brandon Marshall.

TaborJet

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess we won't have to worry about any high priced FA QB's coming to the Jets. Even though I was all in for Glennon I don't see that happening. Happy to see a full rebuild in place, a few more need to go. If Decker is healthy and he is released and we go with the young QB's we will have a new coach and a top pick next year.

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

Now when Decker gets injured in week 2 whoever the QB is can use the No Weaponz excuse.  

Which was precisely why if I had to pick between the two Decker would have been shown the door. This dude has been a Jet for 3 seasons and has missed an entire season worth of games. Totally unreliable when it comes to his injuries, especially with him having to come back from rehabbing his hip and shoulder. The only thing Marshall had to recover from was concentration drops. 

Jets better cut Decker as well. 

36 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

This is looking like the 94 offseason when, Hasty, Brian Washington, Lott, Lageman, Dwayne White, Rob Moore, Criswell, Johnnie Johnson all left.

Decker is next on the chopping block, probably followed by Forte.

Petty and Hackenberg have to be asking themselves " you want me to show you what I got with THIS ?

Yeah right

2017 has 3-13 written all over it

Neither Decker or Forte are going anywhere. Forte if cut saves 0 dollars. Decker is coming off of an injury so I would believe (and I could be wrong) that there would have to be some inury settlement. I could see them cutting Decker next season but not this one. 

What a difference a year makes. I'll go along with the FO on Marshall after a poor season and bad behavior again at times. But it leaves us short in the Wr position, last year we were starting rookies after Decker got hurt (a UFA and a 7th rounder-although both are pretty good but not near his level). So not surprised if we draft a good Wr early and probably sign someone. They just don't want Marshall to return, I guess that's it. Next guy they will get rid of is probably Sheldon. And btw nyet to Geno. 

So Marshall wanted out anyway ..

The Jets reportedly offered to keep Marshall, but gave him time to decide whether he wanted to be part of their rebuilding process. ESPN reported the Jets even offered a contract extension to Marshall, who was entering the final year of his deal. Marshall decided he would rather be released and find a better situation, according to multiple reports. Marshall has been to six Pro Bowls, but has never appeared in the playoffs in his 11-year career. He now has the chance to sign with a contender.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/02/jets-to-release-brandon-marshall/

Given the "Full Rebuild" direction we seem to be taking, I fully support the move.

I'd also support trading away or releasing Decker as well.

Get used to it, this is what rebuilding actually looks like.  Year one of an actual, full rebuild is a horror show of no-name and young players bathing in constant failure.

We'll get through it, and at least this time the failure serves a greater purpose of growing a team correctly.

Can't blame Marshall for asking for the release. He's on the back end of his career but still has a lot left, he wants a ring. 

You also can't blame Mikey Mac for offering the extension. It's a smart thing to do when you know your rebuilding with young QBs. You give them weapons on the outside so they can succeed, and Brandon is, talent wise anyway, still one of those guys. It sucks Brandon left, I did like him as a Jet & wish him well.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What a difference a year makes. I'll go along with the FO on Marshall after a poor season and bad behavior again at times. But it leaves us short in the Wr position, last year we were starting rookies after Decker got hurt (a UFA and a 7th rounder-although both are pretty good but not near his level). So not surprised if we draft a good Wr early and probably sign someone. They just don't want Marshall to return, I guess that's it. Next guy they will get rid of is probably Sheldon. And btw nyet to Geno. 

Sheldon Richardson might actually stay now that BM is gone. 

I don't like this move that much but it is what it is.

The Jets are going to be big spenders in FA. It all depends on how they rebuild the team. I felt Marshall could have helped but we I'll reserve judgement until I see how the team looks entering Training Camp.

If the Jets are setting themselves up to be big players this year in FA, they need to learn from past mistakes and go after players who would be signing their second NFL contracts like the Giants did last year. Don't go after guys similar to Marshall, Forte, Revis, Cromartie. Sign guys who are young and can grow with the team.

Alshon Jeffrey might not be a bad idea for example.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Alshon Jeffrey might not be a bad idea for example.

Well there's this quote by Jeffery:

"I don't have any hard feelings towards the Bears -- it's all love," Jeffery said. "Whatever the next chapter is, I'm ready for it. I'm looking at the teams that obviously need a wide receiver, but also put me in the best situation to win a championship right now. I also want to see what other free agents may be attracted to the same teams I'll be looking at. That can help that goal."

Usual translation: Whoever pays the most coin wins. 

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Given the "Full Rebuild" direction we seem to be taking, I fully support the move.

Get used to it, this is what rebuilding actually looks like.  Year one of an actual, full rebuild is a horror show of no-name and young players bathing in constant failure.

We'll get through it, and at least this time the failure serves a greater purpose of growing a team correctly.

Also do not be surprised if Eric Decker, who is rehabbing from hip and shoulder surgeries, is also cut this offseason if/when he passes his physical, a source says.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-release-wr-brandon-marshall-article-1.2987588

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Signing him would be a god move at this point. Doubt he would come here. 

I'm not really in love with him. It depends on his asking price. But it's just an example of the type of player this team needs to look at. Spend big money in FA. But do it on younger guys. Stop with the 30 and over crew. You have 1 or 2 years with those guys. I don't care how good they are. Unless it's a QB those are the type of players you add when you're really close to winning. Not struggling to finish .500 or make the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not really in love with him. It depends on his asking price. But it's just an example of the type of player this team needs to look at. Spend big money in FA. But do it on younger guys. Stop with the 30 and over crew. You have 1 or 2 years with those guys. I don't care how good they are. Unless it's a QB those are the type of players you add when you're really close to winning. Not struggling to finish .500 or make the playoffs.

Agree we need legitimate playmakers on both sides of the ball we need to draft rookies who can come in and make an immediate impaction no more projects or old retreads. 

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Releasing Decker would put the Jets $17-18MM in dead money. Dead money is not free. That would be enough to grab some good FA's right there. 

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Releasing Decker would put the Jets $17-18MM in dead money. Dead money is not free. That would be enough to grab some good FA's right there. 

Decker healthy helps this team and rookie WRs Decker injured is a waste of money and a roster spot. 

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Can't blame Marshall for asking for the release. He's on the back end of his career but still has a lot left, he wants a ring. 

You also can't blame Mikey Mac for offering the extension. It's a smart thing to do when you know your rebuilding with young QBs. You give them weapons on the outside so they can succeed, and Brandon is, talent wise anyway, still one of those guys. It sucks Brandon left, I did like him as a Jet & wish him well.

That time Marshall said the Jets would be his last team THO

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If we cut Decker today, we save 5 mil and have about 3 mil in dead but if we designate him a June 1st cut or wait until then, we save 7 mil in cap space and have 1.5 mil in dead money . Just like with Harris, there's no rush to cut these players . 

Harris isn't getting cut.

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Too bad, his season before last was one of the best WR performances we have seen and he was one of the best WR in the league.  I liked the guy.  I guess he was expendable though since we have that beast Devin smith.

Let the kids play

Lolz

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Manish Mehta and John Healy of the New York Daily News report that it won’t be a surprise if Decker is released upon passing a physical this offseason. Dropping Decker from the roster would save the Jets $5.75 million under the cap.

Archived