NFL Combine: Day 1 OL

IntoTheGreen

What you are trying to find (if you are the Jets) is a legit LT prospect that will be available in the 3rd round. You have to find a guy that may not be ready to step in and play but a guy you think has a very high chance of developing into a starting LT in a couple of years. Keep a close eye on Davenport, Garcia, Bisnowaty, Wheeler, Holden, Skipper, McDermott. Those type of guys with prototypical size and measurables. The combine will tell you their level of athleticism, how fluid their footwork is, how strong they are, etc., essentially their upside.

Obviously, you are also looking for possible 'gems' that could be had later in the draft. A guy like Ugokwe, who has all the tools and talent but very little football experience, coming from a small school, and clearly not polished in technique.     

I think the Jets will also keep an eye on a C that they might scoop up later in the draft as well. I expect them to re-sign W.Johnson, and he will probably start this season. But I'm not sure they are sold on him being the answer long term.  

With the way FA is going right now, its looking more like the Jets are headed towards a full on rebuild, in which case I think their top two picks will be BPA and I highly doubt either of those guys will be on the O-line. 

51 minutes ago, PepPep said:

What you are trying to find (if you are the Jets) is a legit LT prospect that will be available in the 3rd round. You have to find a guy that may not be ready to step in and play but a guy you think has a very high chance of developing into a starting LT in a couple of years. Keep a close eye on Davenport, Garcia, Bisnowaty, Wheeler, Holden, Skipper, McDermott. Those type of guys with prototypical size and measurables. The combine will tell you their level of athleticism, how fluid their footwork is, how strong they are, etc., essentially their upside.

Obviously, you are also looking for possible 'gems' that could be had later in the draft. A guy like Ugokwe, who has all the tools and talent but very little football experience, coming from a small school, and clearly not polished in technique.     

I think the Jets will also keep an eye on a C that they might scoop up later in the draft as well. I expect them to re-sign W.Johnson, and he will probably start this season. But I'm not sure they are sold on him being the answer long term.  

With the way FA is going right now, its looking more like the Jets are headed towards a full on rebuild, in which case I think their top two picks will be BPA and I highly doubt either of those guys will be on the O-line. 

Excellent post. 

Archived