Report: Buffalo Leaning Towards Cutting Taylor

JetNation

Tyrod-Taylor.jpg

As the Jets continue their off season roster purge, the thought of who is going to be the next QB remains high on the list of priorities. Yesterday we wrote about the Mike Glennon to the Jets rumor. Today the talk at the NFL Combine is that the Bills are leaning towards releasing QB Tyrod Taylor. Rotoworld gives this update:

The Buffalo News’ Vic Carucci reports the sense from the Combine is that the Bills are leaning toward moving on from Tyrod Taylor.
The Bills can’t seem to make up their mind, and reports have been flip-flopping back and forth on this subject for weeks. Speaking at the Combine, coach Sean McDermott would only say the organization is still evaluating Taylor. Per Carucci, if the $30.75 million guaranteed wasn’t tied to Taylor over the next two years, the Bills would likely be bringing him back for 2017. Taylor has been unwilling to renegotiate his contract. The 49ers, Browns, and Jets are expected to show interest in Taylor if he ends up being released by Buffalo. Mar 3 – 9:57 AM
Source:WGRZ Buffalo
Taylor is the kind of QB a defensive minded coach likes. He doesn’t turn the ball over. He spent the first four years of his career behind Joe Flacco on the depth chart in Baltimore. In two seasons as the starting QB in Buffalo he has thrown 37 TDs and only 12 INTs. He is also a threat on the ground, as he ran for 1,148 yards and had another 10 rushing TDs in 2015 and 2016. He averaged just over 3,000 yards passing each year.
Here is a Tyrod Taylor scouting report from KRL:

Pros

• Strong, accurate arm on deep vertical routes.
  • Excellent runner and very elusive to make things happen when a play breaks down.
  • Doesn’t turn the ball over.

Cons

• Doesn’t stay in the pocket unless he has max protection.
  • One read QB, if it’s covered he looks to leave the pocket immediately.
  • Doesn’t throw the ball into the middle of the field.  Either because he’s short or doesn’t read defenses well.  Therefore he only throws outside the numbers.
  • His intermediate accuracy isn’t great, he “dirts” a lot of easy throws.
  • Small frame.
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3RkxpSY-NDc

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would Pass and let the kids have at it after this roster purge . I want a QB like Mc Cown to sign here .  It's funny, but if Fitz would come here knowing that he's just here to support the kids, I would consider him. 

15 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I would Pass and let the kids have at it after this roster purge . I want a QB like Mc Cown to sign here .  It's funny, but if Fitz would come here knowing that he's just here to support the kids, I would consider him. 

Wow this is like an abortion

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

d13d39fd397be0d1afd7b309ffb4e01e.jpg

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What support or mentorship could Ryan Fitzpatrick actually give these kids. 

6 teams in 12 years never made the playoffs. 

Choke in big games. 

Keep Ryan Fitzpatrick as far away from this rebuild as possible. 

No thanks. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What support or mentorship could Ryan Fitzpatrick actually give these kids. 

6 teams in 12 years never made the playoffs. 

Choke in big games. 

Keep Ryan Fitzpatrick as far away from this rebuild as possible. 

No thanks. 

He could teach them how NOT to throw

I think buffalo and Whalley screwed up last year with how they did that contract.  By the sounds of it they thought this would be a prove me year and though he did okay he wsa not good enough to pay that kind of coin they wlil owe him this year.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If Cleveland legitimately wants him, that's where he's going.  I think they have $200 billion in cap space.

I like Taylor and Glennon. I would probably go Taylor 1st and Glennon 2nd, because I think Glennon will get more money.

BUT -- if Cleveland wants Taylor over Glennon, that is all you need to know. Just sign Glennon.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan will not pass on Tyrod Taylor. 

Then I would be standing in line to have his head.  Tyrod Taylor is NOT the answer at QB.  The only guy I would consider is Mike Glennon, and that's saying something.  Let Petty and Hackenberg fight it out.  Between this roster purge and the belief that these two suck, there is the potential to be picking in the top five with Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rogen to choose from.  Tyrod Taylor would be good enough to win us about 5-6 games, which puts us out of the running for those three.

28 minutes ago, thadude said:

Well his career is over if they go 2-14 next year with Petty/Hack/Hoyer so yea

No its not.  Mac will be here for two more years.  They had the good first year, they had the bad second, he gets this season as a pass to see what he has at QB.  If by the fourth season Hack doesn't amount to much, and Darnold/Rosen/Allen does nothing, Mac will be pack-in.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I like Taylor and Glennon. I would probably go Taylor 1st and Glennon 2nd, because I think Glennon will get more money.

BUT -- if Cleveland wants Taylor over Glennon, that is all you need to know. Just sign Glennon.

Good point.  I think my preference for Glennon is well known...the fact that the Steelers are reportedly interested in bringing him in just reinforces my opinion.   One of the top franchises in the NFL with a HOF QB wants to add Glennon.  Anxious to see Glennon's deal vs. Geno after seeing about a million tweets saying it was a "lateral move" from Smith for the Jets if they signed Glennon.

I'm a Glennon booster but would be fine with Taylor.

The fact is that neither Petty nor Hack are ready to start or even to step in yet.  Jets talk all this talk now about being willing to see what they can get from Petty or Hack but they WONT!!!

THEY WONT!!  They are lying to themselves, well intentioned but lying to themselves!! :) 

You saw it with Sanchez (yes he was bad) but some criticism was preposterous and same for Geno (yes he didn't play well) but Jets fans have been merciless!!

At least it appears that Glennon is a good QB and right now that is what we need. Hoyer and his ilk are not better than Fitz, repeat that and let that sink in. Hoyer and that ilk are not better than what we saw from Fitz last year.

Scary isn't it!! 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Good point.  I think my preference for Glennon is well known...the fact that the Steelers are reportedly interested in bringing him in just reinforces my opinion.   One of the top franchises in the NFL with a HOF QB wants to add Glennon.  Anxious to see Glennon's deal vs. Geno after seeing about a million tweets saying it was a "lateral move" from Smith for the Jets if they signed Glennon.

I rooted for Geno and wanted to see what he was about, instead of the Fitzpatrick disaster. That said, if they bring Geno back I would seriously give consideration to missing my first game in a million years. What's the point? I will support this rebuild entirely. But if they need to see more from Geno, they should have done that when he was on the roster.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

If the Jets have been cutting salary to bring in somebody's sloppy seconds like Tyrod Taylor, then I'm done. 

Who should they bring in at QB then ? Cause there all looking like somebody leftovers outside of the draft .

If either a to-be-cut Taylor or a FA Glennon will take ~8 mil/season for 2-3 seasons, I'd sign one of them.

If not, I pass, and go into 2017 with Petty, Hackenberg and a mid-round/late-round Draft Pick QB.

If those kids all show poorly in 2017, I draft a QB #1 in 2018.

21 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Who should they bring in at QB then ? Cause there all looking like somebody leftovers outside of the draft .

Based on what has gone on so far, the Jets seem to be opening up spots all over the field to rebuild with younger, drafted players, and less "big ticket" FA's. This has all the makings of a 2-3 year  rebuild. It doesn't seem logical that you would go against this philosophy and bring in a guy like Taylor to stunt the growth of Petty or Hackenberg. That said, I think the answer is a guy like Hoyer or McCown, on a one year, $3-4 mm deal, to hold the fort for 4-5 weeks if one of the kids isn't ready. That Kid, I believe, will be Hackenberg, and I think he will get every chance to be the starter. Those two would be cheap insurance, and they come knowing that more than likely they are a backup for all or most of the year. 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If either a to-be-cut Taylor or a FA Glennon will take ~8 mil/season for 2-3 seasons, I'd sign one of them.

If not, I pass, and go into 2017 with Petty, Hackenberg and a mid-round/late-round Draft Pick QB.

If those kids all show poorly in 2017, I draft a QB #1 in 2018.

Chase Daniel was 30 years old, everyone knew he was a backup and he got 3 years 21 million. There is no way you are getting a QB that is even in the conversation of a starting job for 8 million per year.

Nothing the Jets have done in the last few weeks makes me believe that the Jets will bring in any high priced free agent veterans at QB. Also, what's the draw of playing for a team that's a few years away? If the Jets just dropped all of these vets to just overpay an average QB that isn't going to get this team to the playoffs, then what was the point?

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Tyrod is too good for what we are trying, without much pretense, to accomplish here.

The jets are having a meltdown offseason.  Literally everything they are doing is wrong

I expect Glennon and Taylor both not to be here.  We get Romo or Cutler instead, they get injured we are forced to watch Petty/Hack stink up MetLife to 3-13 which btw means no Suck for Sam because some other team went 2-14

Archived