Report: Buffalo Leaning Towards Cutting Taylor

JetNation

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, we are not in the rebuilding phase.  We are in the tear down phase.  We haven't bottomed out yet.  Signing Taylor means he is the long term QB for the Jets and Mac and Bowles tenure will be tied to how he performs.

With or without Taylor, this team will not be very good.  Taylor will win a few games but we just don't have the long term pieces around him yet.

So the question is, would you rather go 2-14 and draft a QB that could start for probably half the teams in the league before he is even eligible to get drafted or go with Taylor, pay him a fortune, and hope you can build the team around him before his athletism starts to fade and he ends up just another Sub par QB?

1 minute ago, August said:

If Tyrod becomes available you have to inquire about him if you're the Jets. He would be the best quarterback available on the market. 

Agree. I was just going to post the same. Not sure it would be responsible to not at least speak to Tyrod's agent. If Hack and Petty are both busts, and we somehow win 6 or more games next season, we'll be ****ed. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I rooted for Geno and wanted to see what he was about, instead of the Fitzpatrick disaster. That said, if they bring Geno back I would seriously give consideration to missing my first game in a million years. What's the point? I will support this rebuild entirely. But if they need to see more from Geno, they should have done that when he was on the roster.

100% on point...

The time when the Jets could see what Geno could have done was when Fitz was pissing the season away by throwing 4 INTs in a game!!

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

100% on point...

The time when the Jets could see what Geno could have done was when Fitz was pissing the season away by throwing 4 INTs in a game!!

But the Jets were scared of fan and media backlash if they did move on from Fitzpatrick. It's easier to say it now in hindsight. 

This team is going to be brown paper bag over the head bad this upcoming season.  Why commit to a QB who has zero chance of winning?  Rent a career back up and give the kids the acid test. Next season is the time to reload at QB.

If Bowles and Mccagnan are serious about saving their jobs, I am guessing it will be Glennon or Taylor at 15+, likely  a multi year contract with a "show me" clause.

That number horrifies some fans but as long as the Bears/Browns/Jets/49'ers/possibly Steelers are in the market for a credible, average qb those numbers will remain high.

Signing/trading for McDaniels/Hoyer/ or the other usual suspects will just be a face saving exercise for the front office going into the season, trying to justify season ticket prices.

Petty/Hack and a rookie fighting it out without a veteran is not going to happen, which would be a take-the-money-and-run situation for the coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, August said:

But the Jets were scared of fan and media backlash if they did move on from Fitzpatrick. It's easier to say it now in hindsight. 

You maybe right but....

1) The Jets FO is and will always be doomed if what the fans say alters their decision making process in all but the rarest of circumstances; and 

2) The list of the vast majority of fans who said that bringing Fitz back during the off season under the terms they eventually agreed upon was a horrible mistake were right. They were right.......

It would be be totally disingenuous to imply that it is "hindsight" to say what the Jets did was utter foolishness.  For the record, I wanted the Jets to trade for Glennon last off-season and I even wrote to the Jets with "facts" to that effect and soon thereafter (not implying any causal link) the Jets leaked that they were interested in Glennon.  They then signed Fitz and the rest is Halloween XX (the Jets 2016 Season).

The reason why the Jets couldn't move on during the season was because they made poor decisions before the season.

So no hindsight isn't required to look at the Jets;just common sense. :) 

35 minutes ago, thadude said:

The jets are having a meltdown offseason.  Literally everything they are doing is wrong

I expect Glennon and Taylor both not to be here.  We get Romo or Cutler instead, they get injured we are forced to watch Petty/Hack stink up MetLife to 3-13 which btw means no Suck for Sam because some other team went 2-14

You have it backwards. Everything they are doing is correct. The tank is on.

I strongly suspect that Glennon will not sign here unless the money is significantly better. He's looking for a stable situation.. which is not Florham Park.

Taylor, might be tempted to go to San Fran or the Browns, given the less stable state of the Jets coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

You maybe right but....

1) The Jets FO is and will always be doomed if what the fans say alters their decision making process in all but the rarest of circumstances; and 

2) The list of the vast majority of fans who said that bringing Fitz back under those terms was a horrible mistake were right. They were right.......

It would be be totally disingenuous to imply that it is "hindsight" to say what the Jets did was utter foolishness.  For the record, I wanted the Jets to trade for Glennon last off-season and I even wrote to the Jets with "facts" to that effect and soon thereafter (not implying any causal link) the Jets leaked that they were interested in Glennon.  They then signed Fitz and the rest is Halloween XX (the Jets 2016 Season).....

So no hindsight isn't required to look at the Jets;just common sense. :) 

1. The Jets have shown time and time again that they do pay attention to fan and media it is what it is. 

2. Of course signing Fitzpatrick for those numbers was a bad decision. However looking at it from their perspective; how would it look had they went 5-11 with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg or Glennon or whoever other quarterback? You don't think they'd get backlash for passing on the quarterback that "led" them to 10 wins with 31 TD's, just to go with Smith or Glennon, or Hoyer or whoever else? They were cognizant of this. They'd rather bring back Fitzpatrick and see him fail in year 2 (which he did) than fail in year 2 and have us speculating on how different the 2016 season would've been with Fitzpatrick. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

100% on point...

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, August said:

1. The Jets have shown time and time again that they do pay attention to fan and media it is what it is. 

2. Of course signing Fitzpatrick for those numbers was a bad decision. However looking at it from their perspective; how would it look had they went 5-11 with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg or Glennon or whoever other quarterback? You don't think they'd get backlash for passing on the quarterback that "led" them to 10 wins with 31 TD's, just to go with Smith or Glennon, or Hoyer or whoever else? They were cognizant of this. They'd rather bring back Fitzpatrick and see him fail in year 2 (which he did) than fail in year 2 and have us speculating on how different the 2016 season would've been with Fitzpatrick. 

Woody is out of the picture now I believe. That could and very well should change. I have seen subtle signs from the Jets that have me convinced that the team is worried about doing what is right, regardless of fan reaction. This is a good thing.

You have a really good point in # 2. Ironically Fitz took a # 2 on our season. But if Geno or Petty took that # 2 the organization would have looked much worse.

46 minutes ago, thadude said:

The jets are having a meltdown offseason.  Literally everything they are doing is wrong

I expect Glennon and Taylor both not to be here.  We get Romo or Cutler instead, they get injured we are forced to watch Petty/Hack stink up MetLife to 3-13 which btw means no Suck for Sam because some other team went 2-14

Totally disagree. They are doing everything right. Totally rebuilding so they can have sustained success. You need guts to do it because of fans that don't understand that it's best for the team down the road. Just play the young QBs all season. Sign a backup vet that can help them out. If they play well, you build around them. If not, you are in position in a great QB draft to grab your future. Last thing we need is a 7 win season right now. Please, no Tyrod Taylor or expensive QB. Play the kids. 

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Woody is out of the picture now I believe. That could and very well should change. I have seen subtle signs from the Jets that have me convinced that the team is worried about doing what is right, regardless of fan reaction. This is a good thing.

You have a really good point in # 2. Ironically Fitz took a # 2 on our season. But if Geno or Petty took that # 2 the organization would have looked much worse.

It does look that way. They held on to Bowles despite fan and media pressure to fire him. So that's a start. 

I like Taylor a lot.  He'd be my preference of FA QB's assuming he's cut.  They said they were going to bring in a veteran.  I'd prefer him but bring him would be like the exact opposite of what they're trying to do this offseason.

50 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I strongly suspect that Glennon will not sign here unless the money is significantly better. He's looking for a stable situation.. which is not Florham Park.

Taylor, might be tempted to go to San Fran or the Browns, given the less stable state of the Jets coaching staff.

Taylor to San Fran makes sense. Unless Taylor is ready to whore is career for a monstrous payday he won't go to Cleveland. Does anyone chose to go to Cleveland? Cept Bron James and even he, the King of Cleveland, second guessed himself.  Yet sadly you are right about Florhan Park, it's the San Andreas fault line of the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Taylor to San Fran makes sense. Unless Taylor is ready to whore is career for a monstrous payday he won't go to Cleveland. Does anyone chose to go to Cleveland? Cept Bron James and even he, the King of Cleveland, second guessed himself.  Yet sadly you are right about Florhan Park, it's the San Andreas fault line of the NFL. 

You wanna bet a case of your favorite beer right now that Cleveland will be good much faster than SF will?

1 hour ago, section314 said:

You wanna bet a case of your favorite beer right now that Cleveland will be good much faster than SF will?

Cleveland are further along in terms of rebuilding talent but ultimately it's still a crap shoot to get past an early playoff exit. Teams will constantly bubble up from the bottom have a little momentum for a few years and then sink back to the bottom ( we know who we are).  Drafting may decide the difference between the Browns and the Niner's, coaching, health and luck being other factors. Most free agents would prefer to go to SF than Cleveland unless the Browns throw more dollars at them.

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Tyrod is too good for what we are trying, without much pretense, to accomplish here.

Exactly. He's the guy you bring into a team like Denver that is a decent QB away from a SB. Tyrod would make us just good enough to go 8-8 the next 4 years. No thanks. 

At least with Glennon there is a chance that he's a legit franchise QB. 

16 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Cleveland are further along in terms of rebuilding talent but ultimately it's still a crap shoot to get past an early playoff exit. Teams will constantly bubble up from the bottom have a little momentum for a few years and then sink back to the bottom ( we know who we are).  Drafting may decide the difference between the Browns and the Niner's, coaching, health and luck being other factors. Most free agents would prefer to go to SF than Cleveland unless the Browns throw more dollars at them.

Good points.

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

People that think the GM and Coach are on the hot seat if they don't win just don't get what the Jets are doing. If, like it seems, they are in total rebuild, no-one expects them to do well. If they don't have the players yet they will have job security.

Until Woody sees an empty stadium in October and the Giants are 6-2 and Trump fired him from being Ambassador 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. He's the guy you bring into a team like Denver that is a decent QB away from a SB. Tyrod would make us just good enough to go 8-8 the next 4 years. No thanks. 

At least with Glennon there is a chance that he's a legit franchise QB. 

"Franchise QB"?  

I'll take a good qb

Jets haven't had one in 20 years

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

I'd much rather be the Browns right now

2x first round picks -- one is going to be Garrett.  If the Browns get both Garett and OJ Howard that is a heist

I'd much rather be the Browns right now

2x first round picks -- one is going to be Garrett.  If the Browns get both Garett and OJ Howard that is a heist

I agree talent wise, but Lynch now running the show in SF along with KS coaching, that may be more attractive to free agents unless the money is more coming from the Browns.

If the money is the same I would prefer Santa Clara...who ends up qbing both teams is the other factor. Tyrod Taylor in San Francisco ? Kind of appealing for a free agent campared to the rest of the free agent qbs...

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Browns have "significant interest" in Tyrod Taylor.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported Taylor was the Browns' top fallback option if they can't land Jimmy Garoppolo. Per La Canfora, "no one I've talked to here at the Combine" believes Taylor will accept the pay cut the Bills want him to take, and "many in the league" believe Tyrod will end up in Cleveland. If the Browns do sign Tyrod, they would be smart to retain free agent Terrelle Pryor. Taylor's strength as a passer is his deep ball.

Archived