Mac Shopping #6 Pick

SR24

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a sushi joint in Melville with the wife.  There is a dude on a date with a dwarf at the table across from us.  I am trying to get a photo without being noticed, but I am discovering that it is no "small" task.  Neither is trading the #6 pick in the NFL draft.  God speed Mr MacCagnan.....

1 minute ago, jmat321 said:

I'm in a sushi joint in Melville with the wife.  There is a dude on a date with a dwarf at the table across from us.  I am trying to get a photo without being noticed, but I am discovering that it is no "small" task.  Neither is trading the #6 pick in the NFL draft.  God speed Mr MacCagnan.....

So did you get Darron Lee's autograph?

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you say that? Seriously, I'm interested why you think that

I agree with him and here's my reason. There are so many holes in our secondary and with 2 super talented safeties (Adams/Hooker) it makes sense to draft one of them. Imagine we sign Stephon Gilmore or Bouye then add Adams or Hooker? That's a young talented foundation to the secondary. With a team that has virtually no elite leve talent aside from Williams you can't pass up a top 8 pick. Just my thoughts 

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I agree with him and here's my reason. There are so many holes in our secondary and with 2 super talented safeties (Adams/Hooker) it makes sense to draft one of them. Imagine we sign Stephon Gilmore or Bouye then add Adams or Hooker? That's a young talented foundation to the secondary. With a team that has virtually no elite leve talent aside from Williams you can't pass up a top 8 pick. Just my thoughts 

It's a definite possibility

17 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I disagree and here's why .  Safety is not a premium position and a top 10 pick in the 1st round of the draft should be spent on such a position . Since there's no clear prospect at  the premium positions with the value of the 6th over all pick, trading down makes a ton of sense .  m

If this happens, he'll most likely get maximum value on draft day -- depending on whether someone is on the board that another team is hot for.  #6 is not quite no man's land, but it isn't the slam dunk value that the top picks are.  Look, any moves that make this team younger, faster, hungrier, etc. are A-OK with me.  We have holes everywhere.  If they wind up getting a lot of value picks this year, I have no issues with waiting until next year to draft star-power.  They have to get the picks right wherever they are.

33 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Is she hot?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you say that? Seriously, I'm interested why you think that

Everyone wants to trade down because we need help everywhere, but that's bullsh*t. What we actually need is credible talent at the positions that matter (QB, WR, CB, EDGE, OLT). Sticking at 6 gives us a realistic shot at Lattimore and at least one of the QBs, not to mention all of the non-Garrett EDGE guys. I guess you can throw Hooker or Adams in there too, assuming one of them runs well enough to at least keep up with Gronk. If all those guys are off the board, fine, trade down all you want. But discussing a scenario that takes all that off the table and leaves us with, I dunno, O.J. Howard or something, especially before the Combine is even over, seems dumb to me.

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

Always tough to get the incognito photos. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I'm generally all for trading down, but I don't really think it makes sense for this team right now.

I wouldn't mind it if it's with a team that isn't too much further down.  Eagles may get desperate if Tennessee takes one of the two top Wide Recievers.  A slide down to 15 wouldn't be too steep and the more picks the merrier.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I disagree and here's why .  Safety is not a premium position and a top 10 pick in the 1st round of the draft should be spent on such a position . Since there's no clear prospect at  the premium positions with the value of the 6th over all pick, trading down makes a ton of sense .  m

Look at what Eric Berry,Earl Thomas,Kam Chancellor etc do for their defenses though. We don't have 1 playmaker in our secondary and both of our safeties are being either cut or shopped. Makes total sense to snag a high level safety and sign a corner, then draft a corner 2nd round.

It's tough to get a team to give up much to move up in a draft like this where there aren't many players that jump off the board at you.  But they are much more likely to give up picks in the following years draft for immediate help now.  Often value in next year's draft jumps up a round.  I'd strongly suggest loading up on picks to use in a projected stronger draft

“Literally, we’re open for business every round,” the Jets general manager said during a small interview session with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine Friday afternoon. “If somebody wants to move up in any particular round, and we have a pick in that round, call us up.”

“I’ve said this to some of the GMs down here already: every draft I’ve been in I’ve always wanted to acquire more picks,” he said. “Sometimes you don’t get the opportunity to move back when you’re drafting, but I think the one thing for ourselves, we’d like to move back and acquire more picks in this draft if possible. Because, in my mind, that affords you, at least, the opportunity to potentially increase or expedite the process of improving the talent base on your roster.”

“If you believe you have a good process and good group of scouts and coaches who can evaluate, then hopefully you can improve your roster that way,” he said. “ . . . Generally, the better players get drafted earlier, but there are a number of players, like Richard Sherman came out in the fifth round and he’s a Pro-Bowl caliber corner.”

Either way, Maccagnan seems confident the Jets will get value wherever they choose.

“There’s going to be a very good player available at [No.] 6 . . . but I think, yeah, personally, we’re interested in having options going forward,” he said. “And whether we stay at [No.] 6 and pick a player, we’d be perfectly happy doing that, whether we decide to move back a little bit and get more picks and more opportunities, we’d be perfectly happy doing that. And if there’s a situation that arises where we feel there’s a player that slides a little bit, that’s within striking distance and the compensation’s not bad, we may move up a little bit.”

Just now, C Mart said:

“Literally, we’re open for business every round,” the Jets general manager said during a small interview session with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine Friday afternoon. “If somebody wants to move up in any particular round, and we have a pick in that round, call us up.”

Because we are so solid at every position and need nothing. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Because we are so solid at every position and need nothing. 

He said the same exact thing in '15. Then he picked Leo Williams. It means nothing at this point

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

“If you believe you have a good process and good group of scouts and coaches who can evaluate, then hopefully you can improve your roster that way,” he said. “ . . . Generally, the better players get drafted earlier, but there are a number of players, like Richard Sherman came out in the fifth round and he’s a Pro-Bowl caliber corner.”

Either way, Maccagnan seems confident the Jets will get value wherever they choose.

“There’s going to be a very good player available at [No.] 6 . . . but I think, yeah, personally, we’re interested in having options going forward,” he said. “And whether we stay at [No.] 6 and pick a player, we’d be perfectly happy doing that, whether we decide to move back a little bit and get more picks and more opportunities, we’d be perfectly happy doing that. And if there’s a situation that arises where we feel there’s a player that slides a little bit, that’s within striking distance and the compensation’s not bad, we may move up a little bit.”

Judging by this it's what any team with a top pick would say . A lot will depend on what happens leading up to the draft. If the Patriots trade Garapolo to Cleveland then I don't think anything will. If not then I could see Cleveland stepping up if one of the QB's fall to #6. I'm not too confident about it though. Unless something changes at the combine I just don't think the QB's available are that enticing to make a team trade up to get them. Of course it doesn't have to be a QB and it just takes one team to pull the trigger. I think the Jets will be picking at 6 though. Whoever that is is anyone's guess.

It only means that he is open to listening in any round and if there isn't someone there that he is really interested in he is willing to move down for extra picks.  The other scenario would be if someone really has someone they want and throw out an offer he can't refuse.

Archived