Mac Shopping #6 Pick

SR24

Id love Hooker or Adams at 6, but this draft is so deep at Edge/CB/RB/TE that trading back and loading up on picks is the best move we can make. Id go asf to say i hope we can trade out of the first round completely, and get another 2nd this year, and another first for next years QB class.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relevant story One time I went on a date with a girl after I had moved to Mass for a bit. She really wanted me to meet her roommate at her dorm. It was called Bay Path college, or the bay of pigs as the locals called it. Anyway I walk in not knowing what to expect and there was her midget roommate, folding her little clothes on the lower bunk.  Moral of the story is that if you are going to introduce people to midgets at least gotta give a warning flare. 

14 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah let's use the 6th overall pick on Brandon Jacobs makes sense.

He came into the combine over weight and slower...says a lot about the guys work ethic and dedication. If he falls into round 2 I would not be surprised.

15 hours ago, SR24 said:

I agree with him and here's my reason. There are so many holes in our secondary and with 2 super talented safeties (Adams/Hooker) it makes sense to draft one of them. Imagine we sign Stephon Gilmore or Bouye then add Adams or Hooker? That's a young talented foundation to the secondary. With a team that has virtually no elite leve talent aside from Williams you can't pass up a top 8 pick. Just my thoughts 

imo they can trade down to 15 or so and still pick up some darn good players.

13 hours ago, JohnJ said:

He said the same exact thing in '15. Then he picked Leo Williams. It means nothing at this point

It means if we get a good offer, we will move down.  If we don't he won't give the pick away.

No one will trade up now for the #6, they'll wait for the draft to see how it plays out, and if their "guy" is there.  Given the # of holes on the roster, trading back isn't a bad idea.

13 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Judging by this it's what any team with a top pick would say . A lot will depend on what happens leading up to the draft. If the Patriots trade Garapolo to Cleveland then I don't think anything will. If not then I could see Cleveland stepping up if one of the QB's fall to #6. I'm not too confident about it though. Unless something changes at the combine I just don't think the QB's available are that enticing to make a team trade up to get them. Of course it doesn't have to be a QB and it just takes one team to pull the trigger. I think the Jets will be picking at 6 though. Whoever that is is anyone's guess.

Pats are basically built to win now.   They will hold onto Jimmy G in case Brady gets hurt or suspended.  Can Tag and trade or get the comp pick.  They will draft another backup this year or next year.  

You have options when you have a franchise QB   

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

Pats are basically built to win now.   They will hold onto Jimmy G in case Brady gets hurt or suspended.  Can Tag and trade or get the comp pick.  They will draft another backup this year or next year.  

You have options when you have a franchise QB   

You basically build a team round a franchise QB thats why the Patriots have been so successful. They can cut other primary players and trade them away all they want to knowing they can plug and play another NFL body into the position. The success in NE is primarily because of Tom Brady and the added caveat of BB makes them unstoppable. The Jets seem to do the complete opposite almost all of the time and the outcome is always failure. 

Im all for adding any and all NE free agents we can especially Hightower.

Jets GM puts No. 6 pick on block for multi-pick haul

INDIANAPOLIS — Mike Maccagnan sounded like a salesman Friday evening when he met with the media.

The Jets general manager wanted to make clear his team is interested in acquiring more picks in next month’s draft. Starting with the sixth overall pick, the Jets are ready to trade back and pile up more than the seven picks they currently have.

“We’re open for business in every round,” Maccagnan said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “If somebody wants to move up and we have a pick in that round, call us up.”

Even the No. 6 pick in the first round?

“Any pick,” he said.

Deals, deals, deals.

Maccagnan said he already has told his fellow general managers that the Jets are the team to call if they are looking to move up. The Jets currently have one pick in rounds 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 and two in round 3. They do not have a fourth-round pick.

With a roster undergoing a massive overhaul, the Jets need to add players — lots of players. One way to do that cheaply is with extra draft picks.

“We would like to move back and acquire more picks in this draft if possible,” Maccagnan said. “In my mind, that affords you at least the opportunity to expedite the process of trying to improve the talent base on your roster.”

That is not to say Maccagnan is set on dealing away the sixth pick. He made it clear that he is open to all options — making the pick, trading back for more picks or trading up if they felt a player was worth it.

“I would say there’s going to be a very good player available at six,” Maccagnan said. “It’s probably something where you’d entertain offers on the clock so you know what you’d potentially have and what you could potentially move back to.

“I think personally we’re interested in having options going forward.”

The Jets will be counting on draft picks to contribute immediately in 2017 after the roster purge they have undergone recently. Maccagnan said goodbye to veterans Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall, Ryan Clady, Breno Giacomini and Nick Folk in recent weeks. But, like coach Todd Bowles, Maccagnan does not like calling this a “rebuild.” He said the Jets will use the salary cap space created to add players that can help them compete.

“Both Todd and I have the same mindset,” Maccagnan said. “We want to build this team, and we said this from Day 1, to go out there and be consistently competitive for the playoffs.

“Obviously, the first season we were fortunate enough to win 10 games. Last season, it didn’t go quite as well for us. But our goal has always been that. I think going into this season we’re going to do everything in our power to be as competitive as possible.”

Maccagnan said the cuts the Jets have made have been about their faith in the younger players on the roster.

“I know we’ve made quite a few moves this offseason, but a lot of it is predicated on the fact that we feel good about the younger players,” he said. “Then, with the money we freed up hopefully we’ll be able to help ourselves in different areas.”

Trade down with the Browns and take the 12th overall pick and one of their second rounders.

At 12 take S.Jones.

2 early second rounders, 2 third rounders, Take BPA at the following positions:  Edge Rusher, OT, TE, S- in no particular order.

Take BPA the rest of the way.

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Understood, and I don't know much of anything about this prospects. But if there's a chance he's going to take a safety or a RB, I'd rather have he lets it be known that those seeking such players should call the Jets if they're the theoretical BAP on the board at the time. It's my understanding no LT prospects are near the #6 pick in value. And I'd bet he's not taking a QB because he's already taken 2 in 2 years with decent picks. He'll bring in a FA to pair with the two he drafted. If he whiffs on a 3rd in 3 years, he wouldn't even get a job as a scout after the Jets fire him.

I can't see anyone making a move to trade up now, since it's equally premature for any other teams as well. Giving him the benefit of the doubt he hasn't earned, this is just putting feelers out there so they hopefully call him instead of him calling them. I guess. But the way he's going about it - the quotes he left in the paper - are so amateurish it's embarrassing.

What he said is actually an execution that a number of successful personnel men do.

Now, execution on the tactic is something else.

But, the strategy has worked.

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wow, positively provoking insight.

Its a fact so all this talk about the has beens that never were free agents needs to stop we need to draft a rookie QB who can lead this young team and grow with this team. 

6 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Poor joewilly he gets bashed for anything. I don't get what annoys everyone so much

No worries the truth hurts most and sometimes they got nothing better to say so they feel they need to make a derogatory comment. 

I should really put him/her back on ignore. 

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No worries the truth hurts most and sometimes they got nothing better to say so they feel they need to make a derogatory comment. 

I should really put him/her back on ignore. 

BOOM!! Sweet variation on the he/she post! Love it! I may borrow this some day too and go be credit where it's due!!

22 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I'm in a sushi joint in Melville with the wife.  There is a dude on a date with a dwarf at the table across from us.  I am trying to get a photo without being noticed, but I am discovering that it is no "small" task.  Neither is trading the #6 pick in the NFL draft.  God speed Mr MacCagnan.....

Possibly the best post of 2017 so far.  Comedy, suspense, intrigue, humor, and Jets draft analysis. 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

For the record, you think if we sign a Geno we have our franchise QB locked up, correct?

Depends on the Geno Smith we get if we get the same old Geno then no. if we get the new and improved Geno that his team supports then maybe. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Depends on the Geno Smith we get if we get the same old Geno then no. if we get the new and improved Geno that his team supports then maybe. 

So the key for Geno is to find some teammates that support him. Lets get Geno and some good teammates and BOOM! Franchise QB!

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

So the key for Geno is to find some teammates that support him. Lets get Geno and some good teammates and BOOM! Franchise QB!

I would hope so coming out of college I thought we had our franchise QB and along the way something happened but easily fixed with the right players and coaches.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I would hope so coming out of college I thought we had our franchise QB and along the way something happened but easily fixed with the right players and coaches.

I say we go get Geno some good teammates then!!

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How can you support an immature ass who loses his job because of a stupid move? New and improved? A leopard never changes its spots.

34 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

How can you support an immature ass who loses his job because of a stupid move? New and improved? A leopard never changes its spots.

he lost his job because of an utterly stupid move and because he was the worst QB in the NFL for the two years her started. So there is that.

Archived