Fans have arrived at the crossroads.

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's saved me from making some hard choices and hurting my kids feelings.

Two years ago, Jets vs. Cowboys, my son had an ice hockey playoff game, simply couldn't miss it but didn't want to miss the Saturday night Jets game.  Watched the hockey game with my left eye, watched the Jets game with my right eye, headphones keeping my ears warm, iPad saves the day.  The other parents laughed when I cheered out of sync with the hockey game, it was sort of fun.  In Hong Kong, I'm up from 1AM to 4AM watching Geno Smith screw up in Oakland, ruins the whole day and costs me a night of sleep, going to appointment the next day was brutal.  The Slingbox truly is the best Jets accessory, everyone should own one.

SAR I

My son was playing basketball and baseball in grammar school. We didn't do fall travel because they played on Sundays. Then his basketball league started playing on Sunday. I said listen son, I love you. But if you make me miss a Jets game I am going to love you less. You have two siblings, so things can be shifted around pretty easily.

He got the message and didn't play basketball anymore.

He picked up football and played all the way through college. The Jets make me a better parent.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

My son was playing basketball and baseball in grammar school. We didn't do fall travel because they played on Sundays. Then his basketball league started playing on Sunday. I said listen son, I love you. But if you make me miss a Jets game I am going to love you less. You have two siblings, so things can be shifted around pretty easily.

He got the message and didn't play basketball anymore.

He picked up football and played all the way through college. The Jets make me a better parent.

That's true dedication.

SAR I

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They've talked the talk. Now they have to walk the walk. Can the Jets fanbase handle a full on rebuild? Woody, for the most part, is not going to be a major problem because he will be out of the pressure cooker. Even if he hears complaints, it's different than just being there.

So now it's down to the fans. Will they show the patience and temperament necessary for this, or will they balk?

People who have spoken and written about this rebuilt have mentioned one major factor against it: The market and fanbase. Francesa mentioned it. Darren Woodson mentioned it on First Take and Liechtenstein mentions it in this article.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/03/lichtenstein-jets-maccagnan-free-agency/?e=rfz5s9rxSALoMA

So it is time for the fanbase to put up or shut up.

BTW, along with that, it is up to Maccagnan to put up or shut up too. Stay with your plan and act accordingly

actually this post is really awesome.......if you read it in the voice of the kid who does the bad howard cosell imitation from the movie better off dead

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I just want some young, hard working likeable players I can root for. Not high payed ass hats like Mevis, Sheldon, and co.

Give me this and I will be happy in 2017 despite the record which the PS expectations predict will be poor.

IMO this is what being a fan is all about.

I won't buy a car or a house from a guy I don't like.

Tough for me to root for guys I don't like.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

I've never missed watching a Jets game live or on TV since 1980, but I've got 4 kids and they have sacrificed a lot of dad-time so that I could spend 8 hours in East Rutherford for 20 years, it gets harder to balance the two forces as the kids get older and time goes by. 

As a PSL owner, I have the luxury of choosing which games I will attend, and having the AT&T unlimited dataplan and a Slingbox I can go pumpkin picking and watch the Jets at the same time on my iPad or my iPhone which I've done when necessary.  The Jets can have my money, but my time is more valuable and it's discretionary.

SAR I

Image result for ny jets pumpkin  pics

7 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

I don't know. 1-15 or 0-16 seems to be even worse.

Depends how it's done.  If they went 1-15 while playing overpaid crap/underachieving vets (Fitz/Revis), yeah that would suck.

But if they play young kids and we see development that bodes well for 2018 and beyond, I won't need wins to watch them happily on Sundays.  

Imagine a year from now knowing we have a core of developed young players on rookie contracts (aka cheap), a bunch of cap space and potentially a top draft pick to go after a franchise QB if needed (still haven't given up on Hack yet).

If I see things going that way, I'll be happy as a pig in $hit come late December.

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

Meh...  The fans that hung around when Kotite was HC, will hang around when Bowles is HC.  A good portion will lose interest, and find other things more exciting to do.   If the Jets start winning again in two years they'll be fans again  

That would constitute rational behavior. I'm past the days of childhood when I saw a sports team in the same light as my favorite comic book superhero. Blind "fan" loyalty is the opiate of the masses. When Jets management delivers a watchable product, much less one to which I should profess undying loyalty, I'll consider being a good boy. Until then, the Jets are a disposable form of entertainment among many.

I dont remember when we actually did a true rebuild. Idzik tried, but he was so terrible at drafting and invested in geno smith as his franchise qb. Just a mess. 

A lot of people dont like Mac. I do. Bowles another story, we'll see. But let these guys gut the team and build and save our money to extend whoever pans out on our roster. 

Suck it up, its not like we've been winning titles anyway. So whats the difference between 3-13 and 8-8 really? To save face to say the Jets aren't the worst team in the league? 

Draft/develop. Save/spend in rare free agency case you can sign a blue chip in his prime.

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The owner can't make up his mind and has no idea what he's doing. Circle back this time next year and I'm sure we'll be gearing up to spend like we did in 08 and 2015.

Well, what if the Jets use free agency to find direct and superior replacements for Revis, Marshall, and Mangold and sign Glennon?  None of those four things is such a stretch.  Revis and Marshall were awful, Mangold missed half the season, and Glennon is looking for cash.  Giacommini, Folk, Clady, very replaceable too.

If we did that, would you not believe we could go 10-6 this year?

Once the shock of the big names we've cut wears off, is it hard to believe that if Maccagnan can replace them with younger and less expensive players behind a decent quarterback we might be competitive immediately? 

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The owner can't make up his mind and has no idea what he's doing. Circle back this time next year and I'm sure we'll be gearing up to spend like we did in 08 and 2015.

Probably right, owner is ******* awful and is very unlikely to ever win jack sh*t  the owner of an NFL team.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Well, what if the Jets use free agency to find direct and superior replacements for Revis, Marshall, and Mangold and sign Glennon?  None of those four things is such a stretch.  Revis and Marshall were awful, Mangold missed half the season, and Glennon is looking for cash.  Giacommini, Folk, Clady, very replaceable too.

Once the shock of the big names we've cut wears off, is it hard to believe that if Maccagnan can replace them with younger and less expensive players behind a decent quarterback we might be competitive immediately? 

SAR I

Free agency should only be utilized when the team is good. Players available via free agency or trade are always flawed and there's a reason they're available. The Jets need to play the young guys and find out if they can play or not. If not, continue to draft until you find the ones who can play. Personally I'd concentrate on the short area explosion drills and if they like playing football or not. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Once the shock of the big names we've cut wears off, is it hard to believe that if Maccagnan can replace them with younger and less expensive players we might be competitive immediately? 

SAR I

The only thing hard to believe is Jets fans gleefully slapping their hands on this same burner every single year.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We cut a bunch of useless old players, SAR. Which automatically means we're tanking for Sam. 

Until we're not.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I feel the same way, the Jets are going to have a ton of money to spend and theres already been talk that Mac is looking to sign one of the more expensive corners and potentially  Glennon. Jets pick up lets say Ryan, Glennon, Okung or Kalil, a Kicker, and that safety from Arizona, is that really a rebuild? I would argue they were rebuilding/ tank mode if they continued the cuts by releasing Skrine, Decker, and Forte, and were going to let Hack and Petty battle it out at QB. But the moves up to now have been good football decisions, Revis was awful last year, Marshall was inconsistent, Mangold couldn't stay on the field, QB play was terrible, Folk was just okay, Giacomini was beat out by Shell and Clady was crap too. 

43 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We cut a bunch of useless old players, SAR. Which automatically means we're tanking for Sam. 

Until we're not.

This week's cuts and all the rhetoric about Samsucking made me depressed.

Then a few days passed.

Now I see that the players we cut really weren't good last year and if we sign Glennon and let Maccagnan fill the holes we should be good enough to go 8-8 or surprise for a wildcard spot.

Gloom and doom on hold for now.  If we don't pick up a FA quarterback whose a bonafide starter, I'll get depressed again and have us at 2-14.

SAR I

23 minutes ago, Sully said:

I feel the same way, the Jets are going to have a ton of money to spend and theres already been talk that Mac is looking to sign one of the more expensive corners and potentially  Glennon. Jets pick up lets say Ryan, Glennon, Okung or Kalil, a Kicker, and that safety from Arizona, is that really a rebuild? I would argue they were rebuilding/ tank mode if they continued the cuts by releasing Skrine, Decker, and Forte, and were going to let Hack and Petty battle it out at QB. But the moves up to now have been good football decisions, Revis was awful last year, Marshall was inconsistent, Mangold couldn't stay on the field, QB play was terrible, Folk was just okay, Giacomini was beat out by Shell and Clady was crap too. 

That's right. 

Hey, if we just listen to our head coach its clear we aren't rebuilding:  “We don’t do anything in that mindset. You rebuild as far as people and names, but you don’t rebuild in terms of trying to win or not. We’re trying to win all the time.”

See?  No rebuild.  Now go get Glennon or Romo and let's get a wildcard.

SAR I

49 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Until we're not.

That will be mid-December. Where we pull off tanking in stellar fashion until that point, then proceed to rip off two meaningless wins to finish off the season and lock up that #7 overall.

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This week's cuts and all the rhetoric about Samsucking made me depressed.

Then a few days passed.

Now I see that the players we cut really weren't good last year and if we sign Glennon and let Maccagnan fill the holes we should be good enough to go 8-8 or surprise for a wildcard spot.

Gloom and doom on hold for now.  If we don't pick up a FA quarterback whose a bonafide starter, I'll get depressed again and have us at 2-14.

SAR I

Exactly what I said as it was happening. These guys weren't contributing any longer. There isn't going to be a magical 675 year "right way" rebuild. All we did was purge out the expensive mediocrity, at a time when it appears things were intentionally aligned for it to be done. For the most part.

I think we restock at a few key positions, draft the way we have the past 2 years, and look like a 8-8 team. Mostly.

Quite frankly, you can't "suck for Sam" and "rebuild the right way" in the same season. If you want to intentionally bottom out, you can't also be adding guys that you want to be part of the solution which is what we've been doing in the draft the past 2 years. 

Whatever though, I'm content to watch the rhetoric develop and then laugh at the outrage, shock and awe when the "suck for right rebuild Sam" that was anticipated in Feb/Mar doesn't end up hashing out.

20 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I could care less what these miserable folks want . All I want is for Woody Johnson to keep his word and allow these men to tear this team to pieces and give them the time to build it again  . 

This is exactly what good owners do.  Woody, on the other, is incredibly reactionary to the media and fan base.  He needs to take the heat and trust the people he put in charge.  

It still may fail, in fact it's likely to fail - but this type of rebuild gives you the best chance to win going forward.

Archived