Fans have arrived at the crossroads.

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Free agency should only be utilized when the team is good. Players available via free agency or trade are always flawed and there's a reason they're available. The Jets need to play the young guys and find out if they can play or not. If not, continue to draft until you find the ones who can play. Personally I'd concentrate on the short area explosion drills and if they like playing football or not. 

The Giants were looking like a dysfunctional rebuild in 2015 and in one day, March 10, 2016, they spent like pigs on Snacks, Jenkins, Vernon, and JPP and in a finger-snap went from 6-10 to 11-5.  That's it.  24 hours, right before season ticket invoices went out, boom.

The Jets can spend on OL, WR, CB, and QB and become a 10 win contender in that same finger-snap.  Maybe not this season, perhaps we need this year to right-size the financials by-position and give the kid QB's a chance to show if we wasted those picks. 

But the point is this doesn't have to be some 10 year rebuild like small-market teams suffer.  This is why PSL's and a new stadium and being #3 in the NFL in attendance matters.  As a filthy rich franchise we don't have to be scared about mistakes like other franchises do.  Yeah, we face the cap like everyone else, but a screw up on a few players doesn't cripple our ownership.  We ain't Cleveland so we don't need to act like them.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Giants were looking like a dysfunctional rebuild in 2015 and in one day, March 10, 2016, they spent like pigs on Snacks, Jenkins, Vernon, and JPP and in a finger-snap went from 6-10 to 11-5.  That's it.  24 hours, right before season ticket invoices went out, boom.

The Jets can spend on OL, WR, CB, and QB and become a 10 win contender in that same finger-snap.  Maybe not this season, perhaps we need this year to right-size the financials by-position and give the kid QB's a chance to show if we wasted those picks. 

But the point is this doesn't have to be some 10 year rebuild like small-market teams suffer.  This is why PSL's and a new stadium and being #3 in the NFL in attendance matters.  As a filthy rich franchise we don't have to be scared about mistakes like other franchises do.  Yeah, we face the cap like everyone else, but a screw up on a few players doesn't cripple our ownership.  We ain't Cleveland so we don't need to act like them.

SAR I

this is because the Giants have a good QB.  Jets couldn't do that because we invested in the biggest farce to ever play QB in the NFL: Ryan no-arm, no-playoffs, can't read defenses,Fitzpatrick.  Signing him at the last possible minute in 2016 set us back a lot...  years.  Huge mistake last season now making this season even worse because of it.  To apply that Giants-like success, first you must have a good QB.  Not great, but very good like Manning.  We had a smelly turd pretending to be an NFL QB.  One that duped Jets fans into thinking he was any good on a fluke season.  Watch his 2015 tapes again.  Marshall and Decker made Fitzpatrick in 2015, not the other way around.  

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

When the Jets get an Eli Manning, then I'll approve of spending like pigs. Without the QB, wildly overspending in free agency just leads to constant regime changes.

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

this is because the Giants have a good QB.  Jets couldn't do that because we invested in the biggest farce to ever play QB in the NFL: Ryan no-arm, no-playoffs, can't read defenses,Fitzpatrick.  Signing him at the last possible minute in 2016 set us back a lot...  years.  Huge mistake last season now making this season even worse because of it.  To apply that Giants-like success, first you must have a good QB.  Not great, but very good like Manning.  We had a smelly turd pretending to be an NFL QB.  One that duped Jets fans into thinking he was any good on a fluke season.  Watch his 2015 tapes again.  Marshall and Decker made Fitzpatrick in 2015, not the other way around.  

Eli Manning's performance last year was roughly the equivalent of Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance the year before.

As I said in my earlier post, the Jets have enough money to go purchase a quarterback of an Eli Manning 2016 and Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015 vintage.   If the intent is otherwise then we are in for a very long and ugly season needlessly. Quarterbacks are out there that meet the criteria, we just need to pick one and continue to rebuild on the fly but at least put a decent product on the field for the fans to enjoy watching and the players trying to remain motivated and focused. 

SAR I

Eli Manning's performance last year was roughly the equivalent of Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance the year before.
As I said in my earlier post, the Jets have enough money to go purchase a quarterback of an Eli Manning 2016 and Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015 vintage.   If the intent is otherwise then we are in for a very long and ugly season needlessly. Quarterbacks are out there that meet the criteria, we just need to pick one and continue to rebuild on the fly but at least put a decent product on the field for the fans to enjoy watching and the players trying to remain motivated and focused. 
SAR I

Except Eli can do that every year. Fitz can't, it was obvious before last season to anyone with sense to know that signing Fitz was going to result in a disaster. There are zero QB's available right now that can consistently put up Eli numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

46 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Except Eli can do that every year. Fitz can't, it was obvious before last season to anyone with sense to know that signing Fitz was going to result in a disaster. There are zero QB's available right now that can consistently put up Eli numbers.

This is a year-to-year league.  Eli Manning had gone 6 years without a 10 win season, he had 3 consecutive years with losing records.  Last year he had 26 TD's and 16 interceptions.  In the first year we found him off the scrap heap, Ryan Fizpatrick had 31 TD's and 15 interceptions.

So please don't tell me that Eli Manning is some great quarterback here in his 11th year.  We found someone in a garbage can for $2.3M who delivered a better performance in his first year with the team.  Glennon, Romo, Hoyer, these guys could do the same, it's not a big stretch of the imagination to think we can take our $50M in cap space and bring in direct replacements for Revis (useless), Mangold (missed half the year), Marshall (ineffective), and Fitzpatrick (brutal) and put together a 10 win season.  We just did that, remember?  The Giants did too.  

No long term rebuild.  No draft dicerolls.  Spend money.  Bring in proven free agents.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is a year-to-year league.  Eli Manning had gone 6 years without a 10 win season, he had 3 consecutive years with losing records.  Last year he had 26 TD's and 16 interceptions.  In the first year we found him off the scrap heap, Ryan Fizpatrick had 31 TD's and 15 interceptions.

So please don't tell me that Eli Manning is some great quarterback here in his 11th year.  We found someone in a garbage can for $2.3M who delivered a better performance in his first year with the team.  Glennon, Romo, Hoyer, these guys could do the same, it's not a big stretch of the imagination to think we can take our $50M in cap space and bring in direct replacements for Revis (useless), Mangold (missed half the year), Marshall (ineffective), and Fitzpatrick (brutal) and put together a 10 win season.  We just did that, remember?  The Giants did too.  

No long term rebuild.  No draft dicerolls.  Spend money.  Bring in proven free agents.

SAR I

SAR Love you but you will weeping then when Eli Manning is inducted to the HOF cause the guy is a lock!

And Fitz even with a ticket will be barred from the facility :) 

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

SAR Love you but you will weeping then when Eli Manning is inducted to the HOF cause the guy is a lock!

And Fitz even with a ticket will be barred from the facility

I'd take Eli Manning 2011 in a heartbeat, but it's 2017 and he's a middle-of-the-pack quarterback now, doesn't strike fear into anyone.

Fitz isn't in the conversation except to say that if we could find a 31 TD guy off the discount rack once we can certainly do it again.  And the players we cut last week?  They weren't good anymore, they're all replaceable.  Big names, sounds scary.  If you step back, they were all on their last legs.  We can do better, and we can do it quicker by tapping into the free agent pool aggressively like we've done in the past.

SAR I

Archived