Combine Rumor: Jets to make big push for Glennon

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Farve had plenty left when GB took Rodgers.

Redskins gave up a ton to move up for RG but still took Cousins and it paid off.

I think we are looking at it from different perspectives.

Point being many feel as I do that you never pass on a potential quality starter at the QB position if you have a shot to draft him regardless of who you already have.

(Unless of course you are the NYJ ☺)

Yes Favre did. They were drafting the QB of the future when they drafted Rogers. My point is that When the Bucs drafted Winston Glennon did not have Favre's pedigree. Winston was not drafted to backup Glennon He was drafted to replace Glennon. Rogers was not drafted to replace Favre immediately.

I stated the exact same thing about the RG3 and Cousins situation. Neither was drafted to replace the other. The Skins took a flyer on Cousins and it did work out but they didn't draft Cousins with the thought of replacing RG3. That is what happened to Glennon in Tampa.

I understand your point on the quality starter thing but if you feel you already have a quality starter why draft another one? Why not use that pick to enhance your team in another need area? If Glennon is so good there is no need to draft Winston. Its a simple thing my friend.

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I wonder how many of you suck for Sam people are actually going to still want this guy next year...there will probably be another qb that comes out of the woodwork like every season and Sam's stock will probably fall. Glennon would be a good option if we had half a roster to play with but in reality we aren't going to win many games this season and probably next. We would be better off looking at cheaper young free agents at other positions of need that we could take a chance on while we get our salary cap under control and hopefully draft well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Probably

21 minutes ago, thadude said:

The argument that Glennon sucks because Tampa drafted Winston is so inept

"Gee, let's pass on the best qb to come out of college since Andrew Luck.  It's not like qb is important"

If Glennon is SO great why would they draft Winston? Does it make sense to draft a QB no matter how good he is projected to be when you already have a viable NFL starter? Which according to you Glennon is. Glennon is a viable backup. Throwing 60 million at him to find out if he can do it over a full NFL season is a different matter entirely. We don't know if Hack or Petty is the real deal. Doesn't it make sense to find out if either one is before you throw a ton of money at an unproven NFL backup? Glennon had the job and the team decided to draft Winston because they felt Winston was better. An untested rookie was better than a guy with NFL experience. Its amazing to see someone who cannot understand that if the guy isn't good enough to start for one team he must be good enough for the Jets. Amazing.

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yes Favre did. They were drafting the QB of the future when they drafted Rogers. My point is that When the Bucs drafted Winston Glennon did not have Favre's pedigree. Winston was not drafted to backup Glennon He was drafted to replace Glennon. Rogers was not drafted to replace Favre immediately.

I stated the exact same thing about the RG3 and Cousins situation. Neither was drafted to replace the other. The Skins took a flyer on Cousins and it did work out but they didn't draft Cousins with the thought of replacing RG3. That is what happened to Glennon in Tampa.

I understand your point on the quality starter thing but if you feel you already have a quality starter why draft another one? Why not use that pick to enhance your team in another need area? If Glennon is so good there is no need to draft Winston. Its a simple thing my friend.

Not so simple.

There is more to it than you describe.

Having another quality starter in que gives an organiztion contract negotiation leverage plus it is a hedge against injury.

Name one time having 2 good qb's hurt a team.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah what were the Chargers thinking when they drafted Rivers when they had Brees already. It must mean Brees sucks. 

You keep bringing up the Bucs drafting Winston but you're failing to see the big picture of why they did. Lovie Smith took over the Bucs the year they drafted Winston. Glennon is a stationary QB with a big arm and Lovie wanted a more mobile guy to run his system. Winston just happens to have similar arm strength as well. You keep making it seem so cut and dry when there were many other factors that went into that decision. You are ignorant when it comes to the details surrounding the Bucs at that time. Stop pretending that you have a clue about that situation and how Glennon is as a QB. 

I remember a time when Geno Smith was the next great QB. He was getting the same hype as Darnold. Then he played one more year in college and that all changed.  Playing the 2017 season in hopes to draft a certain QB the next year is idiotic.

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Not so simple.

There is more to it than you describe.

Having another quality starter in que gives an organiztion contract negotiation leverage plus it is a hedge against injury.

Name one time having 2 good qb's hurt a team.

The Richard Todd-Matt Robinson years? Having two QB's creates division within the team and makes for a sticky situation that ultimately results in failure.

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I remember a time when Geno Smith was the next great QB. He was getting the same hype as Darnold. Then he played one more year in college and that all changed.  Playing the 2017 season in hopes to draft a certain QB the next year is idiotic.

Was that when Geno was trying to beat up his 70 year old coach? Geno was never in the same stratosphere as a QB prospect as Darnold is now. That said, Darnold needs to follow it up next year, but Rosen is there too.

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Yeah what were the Chargers thinking when they drafted Rivers when they had Brees already. It must mean Brees sucks. 

You keep bringing up the Bucs drafting Winston but you're failing to see the big picture of why they did. Lovie Smith took over the Bucs the year they drafted Winston. Glennon is a stationary QB with a big arm and Lovie wanted a more mobile guy to run his system. Winston just happens to have similar arm strength as well. You keep making it seem so cut and dry when there were many other factors that went into that decision. You are ignorant when it comes to the details surrounding the Bucs at that time. Stop pretending that you have a clue about that situation and how Glennon is as a QB. 

You know what? I have been over that and over that time and again. Your late to the party pal. You are stating your opinion as fact. You have no idea what was Smith's mindset when Drafting Winston.

Jameis Winston Named Buccaneers Starting Quarterback over Mike Glennon

406638a3634edf96f85df0995b369b20_crop_no
AP Images
Mike ChiariFeatured ColumnistJuly 31, 2015

In a move that was widely expected when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, Jameis Winston was officially named the team's starting quarterback Friday.

NFL Network's Jeff Darlington tweeted the official statement made by Bucs head coach Lovie Smith:

Despite Smith's quick decision, he admitted that the former Heisman Trophy winner still has a long way to go in his development as an NFL quarterback before facing the Tennessee Titans in Week 1, according to PewterReport.com:

Third-year signal-caller Mike Glennon was technically in the running for Tampa's starting job as well, but since Winston lost just one game in two years at Florida State and led the Seminoles to a national title, his fate as an instant starter in the NFL was essentially sealed.

Winston's maturity has long been questioned due to multiple off-field issues at FSU, but some also wondered about his work ethic in terms of conditioning when this Instagram photo surfaced in March:

The new face of the franchise is currently confident in his weight, though, and believes he will continue to get in even better shape, per ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas.

"I'm 236 [pounds] right now," Winston said. "And I know in this Tampa heat during training camp, I'm going to lose a little bit more. I'm back at a good weight. I'm just looking forward to going out there and balling out."

Winston also received a major vote of confidence from wide receiver Mike Evans at Bucs training camp.

"If he's named the starter, I think he'll be a great player," Evans said, per Joe Kania of Buccaneers.com. "He works hard, [he has a] great motor and [he's] an amazing football talent. He's one of the hardest workers I've been around, so I think he'll do fine."

With Winston seemingly ready and willing to commit himself to becoming great, and his teammates firmly behind him, Smith likely didn't see any point in drawing out the process of naming a starter.

There will undoubtedly be a learning curve for Winston to navigate, but rookie quarterbacks have enjoyed some success in recent years. Derek Carr of the Oakland Raiders threw for 21 touchdowns last season, while Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III all shined as rookies in 2012.

Provided Winston can harness his raw talent and create a rapport with weapons like Evans and Vincent Jackson, he could quickly become one of the best signal-callers the NFL has to offer. 

Not only was Winston's conditioning questioned but his ability to run the offense without a learning period questioned as well.  They still went with him over Glennon. What else ya got pal?

12 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Was that when Geno was trying to beat up his 70 year old coach? Geno was never in the same stratosphere as a QB prospect as Darnold is now. That said, Darnold needs to follow it up next year, but Rosen is there too.

Geno tried to beat up his coach?  Sure he did.

Darnold is approaching that kind of hyp, it's not there yet.  

16 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The only people claiming a tank job are fans who live in fantasyland.

But it's not fantasyland to drop a monster contract for a QB that hasn't taken a snap in 3 years?  And when he was playing, didn't win very many games.

So instead of rolling with Petty and Hack, probably finding out for sure they are not the answer, maybe winning 2 games, and solving our QB spot by taking Darnold next year; we going to pay Glennon $30M guaranteed, lock him in at the position for at least the next three seasons, and win 5 games next year.  At with 5 wins next year, we can guarantee the best DT in the next draft.

Seems like a pattern we can't get out of.

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I wasn't all that impressed with Darnold. Darnold, like other college QBs in their second year starting, could also fail to live up to the hype. Do I want the Jets to purposely throw games? No. But this is shaping up to be a bad team next year. I would much rather stomach a really bad season, if the Jets are in position to draft a possible franchise QB. I'm not against the overall premise of sucking to accomplish this for whatever QBs may stand out heading into the draft next year.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That's what a reasonably person would do. In order to predict what the Jets will do, start with the following:

1. Blast Krylon chrome into a paper bag for thirty seconds.

2. Place opening of that bag over your nose and mouth for twenty seconds, taking two deep breaths in that time.

3. Think about how much your father resented your conception because it ruined his shot at being the bassist for Deep Purple.

4. Think about the first woman to break your heart, then recite the names of the two men she ended up marrying and divorcing immediately after dumping you, and consider what they had that you didn't. (Hint: money and willingness to perform cunnilingus).

5. Do two shots of peppermint Schnapps.

6. Watch a few highlights of Kellen Clemens' college career.

7. Go up to your wife and tell her this, verbatim: "I know what you're up to and it makes me f*cking sick," while holding up a bottle of her perfume. Over-analyze her immediate reaction.

8. Have a good cry.

9. Consider the literacy rates of red states.

10. Stare really hard into the mirror and realize that your societal value will never, ever reach the level of no-account Rivers Cuomo's.

I judiciously dole out praise around here.  Your wit is a JN treasure.   Too bad not all are sharp enough to appreciate it...

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I hate this team so much.  We're going to pay Mike ******* Glennon some ridiculous contract when the best player in college Football is going to be sitting there at 6 for the taking.  

Mike ******* Glennon. 

J! E! T! S!

If Glennon is SO great why would they draft Winston? Does it make sense to draft a QB no matter how good he is projected to be when you already have a viable NFL starter? Which according to you Glennon is. Glennon is a viable backup. Throwing 60 million at him to find out if he can do it over a full NFL season is a different matter entirely. We don't know if Hack or Petty is the real deal. Doesn't it make sense to find out if either one is before you throw a ton of money at an unproven NFL backup? Glennon had the job and the team decided to draft Winston because they felt Winston was better. An untested rookie was better than a guy with NFL experience. Its amazing to see someone who cannot understand that if the guy isn't good enough to start for one team he must be good enough for the Jets. Amazing.

Why was Philip Rivera drafted?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The Richard Todd-Matt Robinson years? Having two QB's creates division within the team and makes for a sticky situation that ultimately results in failure.

I asked... name one time having 2 good QBs hurt a team not specifically the NYJ.

They rarely have had one good one let alone 2 and you come up with....

Todd / Robinson ......really ?

Long time ago so please remind me...which one was the good one and which one was the goodest one?

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I hate this team so much.  We're going to pay Mike ******* Glennon some ridiculous contract when the best player in college Football is going to be sitting there at 6 for the taking.  

Mike ******* Glennon. 

Its what we do. 

Obsession? How about wanting competence at the QB position. That's all. If not Glennon, who do you want for next year? The Bucs just offered to make him the highest paid backup in the NFL. Why do you think they did that ? To throw him away? The Steelers also want the throwaway .

I want to start either hakenberg or petty. And see what we have. Rather then throw money at something else when we dont even know what we have on our own team yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The point is they knew he could play the position AS A BACKUP. If they thought he was the guy to build around they never draft Winston. No matter how good Winston was projected to be they were just that PROJECTIONS. Why taken a chance on drafting a QB when you have a proven guy in Glennon? The answer? They felt he was not proven otherwise they do not draft Winston. No team takes a chance on another player especially at the QB position if you have a reliable NFL quality starter. The Bucs didn't see Glennon as such. If they did Winston is not drafted. Plain and simple. If you can't see that your either blind or just too stubborn. We all want the ultimate goal of winning a Championship. The quick fix does not work. Its been proven time and again. Throwing money at the problem does not work either. Repeating the past spells catastrophe for the future.

So, one group of coaches come in and don't give a guy a chance so he must not be good? That's just plain short sighted. They wanted their own QB and it just so happened they were in position to take a kid they liked at the top of the draft. It doesn't mean Glennon, with a different coach or offense wouldn't end up being better. They wanted to rebuild with their own guys. It happens all the time. Why did the Charger pick Rivers when they had Brees. With your logic, Brees isn't a franchise QB. He ended up becoming a great QB AFTER he left. Favre was buried on the depth chart with Atlanta. They trade him to Green Bay and he gets a chance. I could go on and on. You give way too much credit to one coaching staff evaluating a player when they clearly had their own agenda.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

But it's not fantasyland to drop a monster contract for a QB that hasn't taken a snap in 3 years?  And when he was playing, didn't win very many games.

So instead of rolling with Petty and Hack, probably finding out for sure they are not the answer, maybe winning 2 games, and solving our QB spot by taking Darnold next year; we going to pay Glennon $30M guaranteed, lock him in at the position for at least the next three seasons, and win 5 games next year.  At with 5 wins next year, we can guarantee the best DT in the next draft.

Seems like a pattern we can't get out of.

Signing a mediocre prospect (Glennon) for starter money ($15+ million per season with a ton of guaranteed money) will guarantee the jets remain mediocre for the next 5-6 years.  It will be the biggest mistake any GM has made in decades for this team.  Let the freaking bears do that.  Not us, please.  Mac can't be that stupid. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Signing a mediocre prospect (Glennon) for starter money ($15+ million per season with a ton of guaranteed money) will guarantee the jets remain mediocre for the next 5-6 years.  It will be the biggest mistake any GM has made in decades for this team.  Let the freaking bears do that.  Not us, please.  Mac can't be that stupid. 

Agree agree agree!!!!!!! 

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Thank You for once again staring down from your lofty perch to grace us with your Bovine Scatology. Of course your vast intellect can solve all of our problems so a little thing like vaulting this team back into contention should be simple. A little insight goes a long way. Perhaps that's why intellectuals such as yourself never really do anything but run off at the mouth to prove to all of us inferior slobs just how intelligent you are.  Live long and prosper you Narcissistic little pleb. The following is a topic I think you know quite well. Seek help.

A love ❤️ letter to TomShane....so sweet. Send him a Godiva chocolate for his kind, adoring words and a manuscript of clicking the puntang (freebie).

34 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So, one group of coaches come in and don't give a guy a chance so he must not be good? That's just plain short sighted. They wanted their own QB and it just so happened they were in position to take a kid they liked at the top of the draft. It doesn't mean Glennon, with a different coach or offense wouldn't end up being better. They wanted to rebuild with their own guys. It happens all the time. Why did the Charger pick Rivers when they had Brees. With your logic, Brees isn't a franchise QB. He ended up becoming a great QB AFTER he left. Favre was buried on the depth chart with Atlanta. They trade him to Green Bay and he gets a chance. I could go on and on. You give way too much credit to one coaching staff evaluating a player when they clearly had their own agenda.

Get your story straight the Chargers drafted ELI then Eli was traded to the Giants for Rivers. Brees wasn't any good as a Charger thats why they drafted Eli who didn't want to play for them and forced a deal for Rivers. Brees blossomed with the Saints but all the tools were there. Winston had a ton of questions as I posted earlier in this thread. The article even said they had reservations about his conditioning and ability to handle the offense on the pro level. The article stated even with all those questions they still named him the starter outright. The Bucs wanted their "own guy" because even though they had reservations they still liked him better then Glennon. Go back and look at it I'm not posting it again.

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I asked... name one time having 2 good QBs hurt a team not specifically the NYJ.

They rarely have had one good one let alone 2 and you come up with....

Todd / Robinson ......really ?

Long time ago so please remind me...which one was the good one and which one was the goodest one?

LOL kid I watched that one and it tore the team apart even though they were mediocre. You wanted one and I gave you one. Now you want more. I ain't your dutch uncle your turn to do some research.

After reading all these posts on the Glennon push I have been convinced it's the wrong approach to take. We just have way too many holes and lack more talent than any team in this league.  Mac obviously reads this site and has been influenced by Villain's incessant love ❤️ for Glennon.  Deport Villain to Mexico and spare us this ill advised move. 

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Why was Philip Rivera drafted?

Do you mean Philip Rivers? Yeah he wasn't drafted by the Charges. The Chargers drafted Eli Manning and Manning didn't want to play for them so the Giants and Chargers traded one for the other. That concludes todays history lesson.

To address your point Brees did nothing with the Chargers. He blossomed with the Saints. So yeah Brees was not good and they replaced him eventually with Rivers after the Giants deal. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Do you mean Philip Rivers? Yeah he wasn't drafted by the Charges. The Chargers drafted Eli Manning and Manning didn't want to play for them so the Giants and Chargers traded one for the other. That concludes todays history lesson.

To address your point Brees did nothing with the Chargers. He blossomed with the Saints. So yeah Brees was not good and they replaced him eventually with Rivers after the Giants deal. Thanks.

I never thought the Chargers gave Brees a reasonable chance.  Oh well... their loss was New Orleans' gain.  And to think the Dolphins could have had Brees for a 2nd round pick.  Can you imagine the AFC East with Brady and Brees for a decade or more?  Same results with more pain (any Miami success = Jets' fan pain). 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I never thought the Chargers gave Brees a reasonable chance.  Oh well... their loss was New Orleans' gain.  And to think the Dolphins could have had Brees for a 2nd round pick.  Can you imagine the AFC East with Brady and Brees for a decade or more?  Same results with more pain (any Miami success). 

Brees got a bum deal in San Diego. Thank God he didn't go the fish. Imagine the misery.

Archived