Jalin Marshall faces 4 Game Suspension

The NFL permits use of Adderal, et al for therapeutic reasons, like ADHD.

The procedure is basically outlined on page 37+ of the NFLPA substance abuse guidelines.

For the reasons described above it is obtained by athletes and college students illegally to improve performance.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One game for each fumble!

devin smith this is your time to step up. also think we need one more receiver 

Can we trade Sheldon Richardson for Brandin Cooks?  

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

sorry to hear I think I will stay clear

yes, I feel bad for all the really young kids that are on it and don't have a say in it. 

it also kills your appetite.  I kid you not, his pediatrician said to me "it would be ok to give him fries and a shake a few times a week to keep his calories up"  probably another reason athletes use it, to stay cut.

he has grown out of it 80% on his own, really happy we never took the chance.  

• Upvote 3
Just now, varjet said:

The NFL permits use of Adderal, et al for therapeutic reasons, like ADHD.

The procedure is basically outlined on page 37+ of the NFLPA substance abuse guidelines.

For the reasons described above it is obtained by athletes and college students illegally to improve performance.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

So Jalin likely obtained the substance illicitly. If true, he deserved what he got.

If you read the NFLPA website, which is surprisingly publicly available, you can really see how all over the players the league is.  They basically have to register when they travel outside the country.  It is also common knowledge that they are going to be tested frequently and extensively.  The players that flunk these tests are actually flunking intelligence tests.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies.  

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, varjet said:

The recent Olympics noted that Simone Biles and Michael Phelps both have ADHD and use/have used Adderal or some variant thereof.

Many adults use it.    I would find it hard to believe that it is banned if it is prescribed.  It is very easy to get prescribed.   It is a controlled substance that is easy to abuse, so you don't abuse it.

Something about this story is not fitting together.  If the NFL thought the Adderall was being used as a masking agent, they should have left it as a PED violation and not said what it was.   It would not be cool if Adderall was generally prohibited for use by football players.  It basically would eliminate players with ADHD.  

I posted a link with this already, but ...

The NFL does not announce what PED the suspension is for, the players or their agents do that to make themselves look better.  The NFL testing does not even differentiate between Adderall and other amphetamines.  The league does give exemptions, but the NFL does not indicate how many.  MLB gave 116 waivers for Adderall in 2012.  That is 9% of the league, while 4% of adults supposedly have ADHD. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

yes, I feel bad for all the really young kids that are on it and don't have a say in it. 

it also kills your appetite.  I kid you not, his pediatrician said to me "it would be ok to give him fries and a shake a few times a week to keep his calories up"  probably another reason athletes use it, to stay cut.

glad you did too - I think we live in an over-prescribed world driven by greed

Just now, Larz said:

My son is on it. The issue was raised when he was younger and we decided against it, but as he struggled in his competitive HS we went back to a neurologist and got a prescription.  His grades have gone up significantly.  It is very impactful.

It needs to be prescribed by someone who is expert in it and managed very carefully.  

Caffeine and Matcha can have a simllar more organic effect.

• Upvote 1

Talk about putting yourself on the outside looking in. And here comes a draft deep in CBs, WRS. Kids future spot on the team will be tentative at best, especially with his propensity to fumble. Belichick would have cut him last year. Shocked Bowles didn't, he comes from the same coaching tree.

My daughter started taking an Adderall-like med in high school.  It made a huge positive impact in school.  

Haven't had her try returning punts though...  She's 5'1" / 105 lbs, so maybe she could try that "lay down and hide in the endzone" play...

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, varjet said:

My son is on it. The issue was raised when he was younger and we decided against it, but as he struggled in his competitive HS we went back to a neurologist and got a prescription.  His grades have gone up significantly.  It is very impactful.

It needs to be prescribed by someone who is expert in it and managed very carefully.  

Caffeine and Matcha can have a simllar more organic effect.

Glad to hear it!    We were against it from the beginning, then he started to struggle in school, the old can't stay focused thing, when we looked into it a 2nd time it was described to me as "something that will calm all the noise in his head"  and I thought, "what kind of dad would I be if I denied him that?"

the thing is we have a family history of sudden death (fatal heart attacks) so its just not an option for us

we give him natural supplements of magnesium we have to always be on the look out for ways to get his energy out.  Everything from playing catch to long hikes to stress toys like executives have, lol.  

and thank god our school is awesome, we meet with his teachers every year to go over what works.  

this cold streak is killing me, he just discovered football and wants to go to the park everyday and run routes for me, lol

Jalin Marshall admitted to a one time mistake.

Adderall runs through your system very quickly, unlike the THC from marijuana which is like glue.  Cocaine sticks around awhile, as do steroids.

He took it relatively shortly before his test.

Knucklehead.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Eh this may be a positive actually from roster perspective

They get to evaluate his development in OTA, Training Camp, Preseason and keep an extra roster spot for 1st 4 games as the 54th player on roster.

If he shows improvement through offseason then you make room for him after the 4th game.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/jets_jalin_marshall_suspended_4_games_reports_say.html

What a troll 

Cut him. 

But Marshall's training camp highlights didn't translate to Sundays. He struggled to make much of an impact, and made more bad plays than positive ones. He fumbled in back-to-back weeks against the Bills and Chiefs. Both times the opposition returned it for touchdowns. 

Marshall finished the season with 14 catches for 162 yards and two touchdowns. He averaged 5.5 yards per punt return, and 24 yards per kick. 

• Upvote 1

(It's because the rules are written by old wealthy white men who frown upon things they believe are limited to the inner city but are kinda ok with things that they understand, like domestic violence).

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, if our group at receiver is Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, J. Marshall, Smith, and Peake going into next season, that's far from a bad group. Enunwa's emergence has been huge. And you do have to let young guys play in this league. I'm just worried they are going to cut Decker and leave us with a little more inexperience at the position than I would like.

Don't think Mac will. He gave us an update that Decker should be ready to go by training camp..that at the least tells me he doesn't have the intentions of letting him go. He knows we need some kind of assurance at WR1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I love that Goodell's league will end your career for Adderal and weed but will let you kick the living sh*t out of your wife with almost no recourse. 

You can literally kill someone (Donte Stallworth) and still have a career.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I wish Bowles would take some adderall, maybe he would call better coverages.

Or at least look like there is something there. Dude's lights are not even burning bright and there is still nobody home.

I know a guy hooked on that stuff.. he's in his late 30's and the doctor has told him he's due for a heart attack at any moment - major side effect is high blood pressure.  His wife has threatened to leave him over it.. I wish she would because he turns into a pretty wild/violent guy when he's on it (almost like a high..)

He's tried to get off of it but he turns into a total lifeless person - from the high energy/reaction/focus he gets from adderall once he takes himself off of it he can barely keep his eyes open and the wind could blow him over.. he can't function now without it.

I'm not surprised that stuff is banned.  The health risks alone, players would be having major problems by the time they retire if they were allowed to take it... 

Anyway real dumb move by J Marshall.. he had to know that's not allowed. Do you keep him around..? I'm not so sure...

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I can't imagine you're not allowed to use it with a valid doctors prescription.

I haven't read the story, but I'm assuming he didn't have a prescription for Aderall. Or at least didn't let the Jets or the league know he had a prescription from a Doctor for it. I could be wrong though.

Agreed. It's an amphetamine, and although it's used for a variety of conditions, the amphetamine part is where the recreational and/or PED part comes in. Even if he didn't inform the Jets upfront, it would've been a non-issue when he failed if he produced prescribing physician proof/medical necessity.  He's not contesting it, and he's very apologetic, so I guess that's probably all we really need to know. 

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

I'm sorry but how is Adderall a PED? Like I guess the NFL is against people having sound mental health

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Adderall is amphetamine...if Jalin Marshall cant provide a prescription he misses 4 games...

11 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

I know a guy hooked on that stuff.. he's in his late 30's and the doctor has told him he's due for a heart attack at any moment - major side effect is high blood pressure.  His wife has threatened to leave him over it.. I wish she would because he turns into a pretty wild/violent guy when he's on it (almost like a high..)

He's tried to get off of it but he turns into a total lifeless person - from the high energy/reaction/focus he gets from adderall once he takes himself off of it he can barely keep his eyes open and the wind could blow him over.. he can't function now without it.

I'm not surprised that stuff is banned.  The health risks alone, players would be having major problems by the time they retire if they were allowed to take it... 

Anyway real dumb move by J Marshall.. he had to know that's not allowed. Do you keep him around..? I'm not so sure...

Sorry to hear about your friend.   These are football players.  They are pretty much having major problems by the time they retire anyway.  Major problems are usually why they retire. 

7 hours ago, Awesumtenor said:

Adderall is amphetamine...if Jalin Marshall cant provide a prescription he misses 4 games...

It doesn't matter if he has a prescription.  He didn't request a waiver.  He is getting suspended.  

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, varjet said:

The recent Olympics noted that Simone Biles and Michael Phelps both have ADHD and use/have used Adderal or some variant thereof.

Many adults use it.    I would find it hard to believe that it is banned if it is prescribed.  It is very easy to get prescribed.   It is a controlled substance that is easy to abuse, so you don't abuse it.

Something about this story is not fitting together.  If the NFL thought the Adderall was being used as a masking agent, they should have left it as a PED violation and not said what it was.   It would not be cool if Adderall was generally prohibited for use by football players.  It basically would eliminate players with ADHD.  

i'm sure if you had a prescription for it you wouldn't get suspended.