C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

I guess this has got to be what bottoming out feels like.  A thread on upcoming free agency where half the posts are about a 30-something jag TE.  😂

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Simean is only 25 years old and looked pretty decent for the broncos. He would be worth giving up a 5th for after all the other qb needy teams sign their free agents. He has a bit of experience and could join petty and hack in an open competition and if any of the three panned out we could have a qb for a long time.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Simean looked like crap last year in the same offense that got Osweiler paid.  Trading anything for him would be pure desperation and end up being another big fail for this front office.  

At this point, we can't even draft our starter because we have no one to mentor the kid.  My guess is that Geno comes back for a one year, vet minimum deal.  And the fan base can start preparing for the 2018 draft.

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Either him or Trubisky (or both) will be there at #6. I doubt the Browns take a QB #1 overall, and the Bears are almost certainly not taking a QB now. 

The problem with the Jets drafting one of these guys is that there are no day one starters.  Trubisky is a one year starter at NC.  Not necessarily a juggernaut football powerhouse.  Nor their schedule.  Watson may be better but with have to adjust to the NFL game.  Neither of these players should be anywhere near the field in year one.  Let alone on a team where your current starting tackles are Ijalana and Shell.

A team with plans to draft one of these guys should already have a starter in place.  A veteran that can mentor and educate.  Someone like the complete opposite of Jay Cutler.

Everyone has any opinion on whether or not to tank.  IMO, with all the players the Jets were "linked" to, I don't think the Front Office and HC want any part of that.  But, as circumstances would dictate, we will be in the running for the top pick whether we want to or not.  

If we end up taking Watson I think we all can predict the next 12 months.  

He'll struggle badly.  We'll end up in a prime position to take an elite QB prospect at the top of the next draft but because we just used. #1 pick on Watson, we pass.  So we pass on a highly probable franchise QB because of an act of complete desperation pinning the future of the franchise on a long shot that needs a ton of developing.

Not saying that Watson won't turn out to be a good to great pro, he just won't do it if he comes here.  No pieces around him, and he'd be the starter by May 1.

If we take a QB in this draft, it should be someone like Kessler.  A guy that can give you spot starts because he came from a pro style system and can be your long term back up.  And someone who won't preclude you making a major investment the next draft.

Doesn't matter who said it, the only reason it upset everyone was because there was a large element of truth to it.

If doesn't show massive improvement by cut down day, they need to cut him.  I understand he didn't get a lot of practice last year but with the limited options we currently have at QB he should have more of an opportunity.

If the staff is still afraid to play him in preseason, than he can't be on our roster week one.

There is absolutely no way Ajax is going to bring in Romo and get rid of Bortles.  Rome is a 3 or 4 game rental.  The only was Bortles goes is if Romo is the bridge to Trubisky or Watson.

And as great as Bortles Niners are, he doesn't win games.  So that wouldn't hurt our shot at drafting the team's face of the franchise in 2018.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

What makes you so sure Watson or Trubisky will be on the board at 6. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Jax  isn't moving on from Bortles unless they draft a QB at 4.  

I am not advocating the Jets take a QB any where in this draft unless it's day three to challenge/replace Hack.

Woody/Macc made this mess.  Taking Watson, Trubisky, or any other QB early in this draft can't fix that.  Plus, I don't see how any of them improve our 2017 situation much over any other JAG they can bring in.  Use this draft to shore up OL, TE.  Get Darnold next year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No guarantee we get the opportunity for Darnold the Jets have to stop saying theres always next year. 

First, we will be arguably the worst team in the league.  So as long as we don't go out there and win a meaningless game in Dec, we are going to be there.

I mean, what was the harm in playing Hack against Buffalo last year?  They played their garbage QBs, but it was more important to win a game that the fans really didn't give a crap about, and the veterans that had already cashed out their season, couldn't give a crap about.  Rex was already gone, so wth?  Our organization is dumb.  The ONLY chance we have is when a superior talent falls in our lap.  That's the only difference maker that Macc has through two drafts, speaking of Williams.

Plus, are there any indications that Watson or Trubisky will fare any better than what we had last year?

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The have been in touch with QB Jay Cutler, source said, & are keeping tabs on him. Expect a visit as they explore their options at QB

Talk about saying nothing. 

The fact that this is even an option tells me all I need to turn the page on this front office and coaching staff.  

The goal, every single season is to build a team that can compete for a championship.  It is not to win enough games to not get fired.

What does bringing in Cutler, at this point in his career going to do to help us build a team that can compete for championships?

what it will do is negatively influence the youngsters on our team with his attitude and work habits.  Culture of youth and enthusiasm will be replaced with finger pointing, bad attitudes, along with terrible football.

I can deal with a multi-year rebuild as long as I see the younger players developing on the team.  Don't F'n give me a 4 or 5 win team that is littered with 30-something year old players either bad at their job or at best, past their prime.

If Macc signs Cutler, Woody should fire him on the spot and immediately release Cutler.  This isn't Mike Vick bad, but it's pretty close.

19 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

Maybe win us 1st pick in next years draft

The last time he was a starter, he solved the Bucs quarterback position problems.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Just off topic, but I had to laugh at the Power Ranking for the Jets. The break down is so funny

RANK
 JETS
Remember when you were a kid and your folks got you a bike for Christmas? You were so geeked for a new year with wheels. Then somewhere along the line, often after weeks in denial, you realized that your bike was not black and gold with cool mags, gears or a sticker that said Mongoose. Nope, yours was an orange-and-yellow Huffy that had one speed, thus requiring Maurice Jones-Drew's legs to pedal up a hill. Feel like that is what Todd Bowles is going through right now. Imagine, on the same day the Patriots acquired Brandin Cooks, the Jets signed a long snapper.

That is a great that is a funny write up.  Just out of curiosity, who the heck was 32?  I ask because I don't have a clue who would be worse, maybe SF?

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes it's like Stephen Hills, first game as a Jet..

Great comparison.  I remember Nagle lighting up Atl.  Would have won but a 4th fumble near the goal line from Brad Baxter.  Post game interview with ATL defenders were quoted saying how fast Nagle threw.

On Hill, my God, after his first game, I thought Sanchez had turned the corner and we had an elite QB.

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The Browns.

I think an argument can be made that the Browns roster is better if not right now, after the the draft.  Without a doubt. 

56 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well I think your right actually.

This is what they said about the Browns:-

Here is a simple, highly convoluted explanation for what the Browns pulled off in the Brock Osweiler trade. Your neighborhood used-car dealer, Possum Kingdom Pontiac, wants to sell you a beater for 3K because they have 3K in it already. You know they can't get rid of it, because the car has an AM/FM cassette, a cracked engine block and sucks. So you get a loan from the bank to pay for it, but you tell the dealer you want $1,500 cash back that they can put on next year's accounting books for you taking the car off their hands right now. You take the beater car home, sell it to someone for what it's really worth -- about 2K -- add it to your $1,500 cash, then invest the $500 profit. Here's even more genius that nobody's talking about: Much like investors shorting a stock, betting that a company's value will plummet, perhaps Cleveland management is banking on a hypothetical in which the Texans lose out on Tony Romo, Tom Savage gets hurt (again) and Houston goes 6-10. Consequently, that 2018 second-round pick the Browns received significantly jumps in value. The Browns could use it or deal it for even more picks. Sorry for all this ... I watched "The Big Short" last night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792983/article/nfl-power-rankings-free-agency-pushing-giants-toward-no-1

Great movie, good analogy.  But until they start turning all those assets into star players, those baseball guys haven't done anything but pass on Carson Wentz.  Garrett is going to be a monster but if the Jets are fortunate enough to get Darnold (maybe even Allen or Rosen) they will be better off in the long run.

14 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Just finished RE-watching Hacks' Giants game. He enters at the 12th minute in the 4th after Petty's 78 yard return Pick 6 to a DT. A guy entering COLD with no practice reps:

The first 2 passes hit the receiver in the hands and they dropped it. He then gets a delay of game penalty creating a 3rd and 15. He then ZINGS it down the seam low and away for TE sliding Sudfeld for 16 yards and a 1st down. Next play, Hack throws a wobbly dart down the seam AGAIN (sees the weakness in the Defense) to Charone Peake for 26 yards and a 1st down. 2/4 for 42 yards thus far. After a 1 yard run play, Hack GUNS IT to single covered Robby Anderson on an OUT ROUTE for another 26 yards. Next play a gorgeous Rainbow Fade to Robby Anderson for a TD!

2nd Drive: Jets Punt return it to the Giants 14 yard Line. Hack in the RED ZONE.

Hack guns it to Robby Anderson who's 1 yard in the end zone b/t the hashes but the SS in zone coverage gets a hand up to tip the pass and incomplete. Next to plays are runs for 3 yards and a loss of one. Bowles decides for the FG. 

I saw it live and have watched it OVER AND OVER enough on GamePass to understand WHY Mac took Hack in the 2nd. Yes, the rest of the game he showed he is STILL RAW (as did the Eagles game), but there are traits Hack has that can't be coached and I'd rather have a GM that's willing to swing for a high ceiling franchise QB in the 2nd if his scouting acumen leads him in that direction. 

I'm not diagreeing with you but a QB with these type of skills and rawness are 6th rounders, at best.  Drafting Hack at 51 was a complete disservice to not only your scouting dept but to Hack.

Yes Hack got paid but by being drafted so high, there are unrealistic expectations.  And by year three his salary is gonna require him to be much further along then he probably will be.

Add the fact that so many rookie QBs started so many games last year and compare that to the fact that the team didn't want him anywhere near the field.

Week 17 against Buffalo would have been a perfect opportunity to get him some reps. They were essentially forfeiting by playing their young, raw QBs, why the hell didn't we?

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I agree completely with this.  One could argue that a QB should not be drafted higher than the 5th round unless they could step in and play (hand off, complete a simple pass) at least at game 9.    A QB that needs to work on their mechanics is ps material.  They should change the rules to allow teams to put a QB on the ps who cannot be stolen (or a 54th developmental QB).

How many teams last year warehoused a qb on the 53?  The fact that Gailey checked out was not helpful either.

Morton will be more WCO.  Needs a accurate QB who can move a bit.  

I don't think either Petty or Hack is a good fit in the WCO.  What would make this problem exponentially worse is drafting a QB at 6 to fit with the WCO. 

This season has already been determined for the Jets and throwing Trubisky or Watson into this won't change our 2017 projectory but it will likely stunt any kind of development and perhaps ruin them.

Ues our first two picks on best available and then use the rest of the draft to solidify our OL and find a RB.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

This may be the case, but didn't Morton say recently that he wasn't married to any particular offense, but was going to try to tailor it to the talent of the team? Point is, maybe the WCO isn't set in stone.

Probably so.  But I can't imagine redesigning the offense to fit QBs that as of right now probably don't have a long shelf life as starters.  This year is going to be a rough year to watch offensively.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company