C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Any movement at all on the cornerbacks yet?

From a rumor I heard a couple days ago, the top end of the FA CB market are overestimating their worth and the CB market might actually take a couple days to settle money wise.

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Interesting. I expect the Jets to be involved in that market

I think Jets will be active with the 2nd tier DBs and they will draft 1 or 2 as well.

Just now, C Mart said:

With such a deep DB draft...

Yeah that is definitely contributing to this rumor I think.  

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Interesting. I expect the Jets to be involved in that market

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Any movement at all on the cornerbacks yet?

Not sure if this was discussed in the thread, I haven't read every page.  But found this nugget that the Jets are targeting

Jets interested in Cardinals CB, former Rutgers star Marcus Cooper, source says

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on March 08, 2017 at 4:43 PM, updated March 08, 2017 at 4:58 PM

The Jets have interest in Cardinals' free agent cornerback Marcus Cooper, a source familiar with the situation told NJ Advance Media. Cooper, 27, played college football at Rutgers

Originally a seventh-round pick by the 49ers in 2013, Cooper has bounced around the NFL a bit. San Francisco cut him after training camp, then he latched on with the Chiefs. He spent three years in Kansas City, then was traded to the Cardinals.

In 54 career games, Cooper has 136 tackles, 32 passes defensed and seven interceptions. In 2016, he set career-highs in tackles (69) and interceptions (4) playing opposite Patrick Peterson. He was a Pro Bowl alternate.

The Jets' secondary is in a bit of a transition period. Last week, they released Darrelle Revis. Just Juston Burris, Darryl Roberts and Buster Skrine are under contract for 2017. The Jets are expected to use the second-round tender on Marcus Williams, a source told NJ Advance Media at the NFL Combine.

Any chance of Romo to Jets?

Any chance of Romo to Jets?

The Cowboys are releasing quarterback Tony Romo, but that doesn't mean the Jets, who desperately need a quarterback, will get in line to sign him, nor that Romo will want to entertain being the next Jets passer.

While Cooper doesn't have a direct connection to Todd Bowles (Arizona's defensive coordinator 2013-2014), he fits a lot of what the Jets' coach is looking for in a cornerback. He's big (6-2, 192 pounds), physical and a ballhawk. He's also an athletic freak. Cooper ran a 4.44 second 40-yard dash, and jumped a 39.5-inch vertical, at his Pro Day.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has been busy this offseason. After freeing nearly $50 million in salary cap space, he got the Jets roughly $34 million under the cap. That's more than enough room to add Cooper, who doesn't figure to break the bank. 

The Jets have also expressed interest in arguably the top pass rusher in free agency, Nick Perry, a source told NJ Advance Media

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

1 hour ago, nicg4360 said:

Tanking for a QB...Just don't get it. If this guy Darnold is the next coming of Joe Montana don't you think there will be several other teams with the same mindset. Although we may struggle there are teams just as bad. Say we have 3 wins mid season are you really going to tell your team to throw every game...That's great for team morale and attracting future free agents for sure. Wouldn't it be karma for him to pull an Eli and say FU I'm not playing for the Jets.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Nobody with a decent head on their shoulders thought Watson was a can't miss prospect after last year, that was just pure Media over reaction.

Darnold on the other hand is considered in the Luck, Manning category as can't miss by actual talent evaluators.

I'm not a fan of tanking either, I mean if it happens it happens, but deliberately doing it for something not guaranteed seems to be a waste.  I mean isn't there the possibility if the Jets tanked this year and had the #1 overall pick that Darnold could still stay in school and not declare for another year a la Peyton Manning?

Edited by JETSfaninNE

Nick Perry staying with the Packers :(  Happy we didn't go this higher though!  5yr/60M (18.5 gtd)

Edited by JETSfaninNE

Just now, Scoop24 said:

It's a good signing . Players have to get paid and the good ones will be overpaid it's just the nature of the business.. bargain basement shopping is how you create 2014 jets team imo 

No doubt but that was pretty much the ceiling of what I wanted to pay him.  Bidding above that amount would have really hurt.  It is what it is and hope we can land a good pass rusher in the draft to make up for it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I don't see starting the season with Petty, and Hackenberg as your 1st and 2nd in depth chart as purposely tanking, I see it as hey we have drafted 2 QB's in the last 2 drafts, we only get 4 years to find out if they can play at an acceptable level so let's find out, and if they can't we move on next year when options both in the draft, and FA are projected to be much better.  If one of the 2 QB's shows they are the future awesome let's throw a parade, and start building this team around him ASAP!

100% with you.  If the Jets can't pull off a trade for Cousins, I'm all in on Hackenberg vs Petty.  I wasn't thrilled with Pettys arm honestly after seeing him last year.  Yes he can throw a deep ball, but from what I saw it looks like he has to get a lot of air under the ball and it seems to take too long to get where its going.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

One of the few on this board that get it. The Jets aren't going to "purposely" tank, but they aren't going to bring in high priced vets in a desperate attempt to be competitive this year. Anyone they bring in will be young and expected to contribute for another 4 or 5 years at a reasonable contract. 

FA hasn't started yet so I wouldn't talk so confidently about what the Jets are trying to do just yet.  I mean here comes the rumors again of the Jets interest in Cutler.  Thats not a tank move at all.

I hate being a Jets victim honestly.  Here I sit already trying to spin Cutler into a positive a la Vinny resurrecting his career.  I despise Cutler (he quits too easy imo) though and it makes me sick I'm sitting here trying to find the silver lining...

Just now, Stark said:

SMH...... well he had a good year with Bates once, right???? right ??? oh lord it is tough to spin.

I'm already dizzy and its only been 5 mins

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Unless Cutler signs for 1m a season I don't want him

I just want a veteran backup on the cheap, this is not the year/season to be banking on a QB.  Next year makes so much more sense with the FA and Draft.

Just now, sourceworx said:

Shefter's tweet doesn't really say they're interested.  It says we're the only team with "a potential interest."  Bascially just speculation.  We've been linked to every free agent QB out there.  Cutler is no different.

I've had a bad feeling all morning we are signing him.  It just feels like the stars are aligning for it.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i don't know if the jets would want his pouting routines with their young qbs.  fitz was a positive influence.  i really don't see him coming here.

I really hope you are right!!

ugghhhh Casserly is spinning this pretty well hhahaha

Casserly was just saying career wise Cutler has more INTs then TDs and is wildly inconsistent.  EXCEPT for 2 years, one with Bates, one with Gase where he was almost 2:1 TD/INT.  Casserly believes with the right system he could be a very good QB again.

Edited by JETSfaninNE

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if the jets are destined to suck this year, and they want a veteran, why not bring fitz back?  he's got nowhere else to go, he'd at least compete for a starting job, they could obviously get him on the cheap, and he'd continue to mentor the young qbs including any rookie they draft.  i don't see why they'd take cutler and his antics over someone like fitz, if you're hellbent on signing someone.  

Fitz is Cutler lite.  Look at how he acted against the organization when he felt insulted they wanted to bench him after leading the nfl in INTs the first several weeks.  I do not want Fitz back, didn't want him back last year.  I'd rather Sanchez back on a 1 year deal then go back to Fitz, even if he wasn't even starting.

Cutler seems to want the Jets to be interested in him since he is interested in them, how cute!

Today's Jets free agency recap ... Arrivals: None. Departures: They cut injured RB Khiry Robinson, saving $1.1 million on the cap. They re-signed LT Ben Ijalana (two years, $11 million) and LB Josh Martin (two years, $4.3 million). They extended second-round tenders to CB Marcus Williams and C Wesley Johnson. The big story: They reached out to free-agent QB Jay Cutler.

Missed this one yesterday.

Guess it just isn't official yet though?

Jets seemed to focus on getting their own young guys signed on first day of FA.  Will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Not sure if this one was mentioned:

Who the hell is he?  Besides being cousins with Antonio.

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Interesting, thanks for the link.  Trying to find out from some Niners fans more about his performance and reasons for letting him go.

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Also, for anyone who says "he's only 27," while I know we hate math, and especially charts, you may find these interesting:

aging-curve-for-nfl-defensive-players-pf

Screen-Shot-2015-08-10-at-2.53.17-PM.png

Full Article for explanation of methodology: http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db

I had to look up the offensive age curve after seeing this.  Its much more graceful decline compared to some of these steep drop offs on the defensive side.

23 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Here are some comments by niners fans

I was surprised we let him go, but our DB's are stacked.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he turned into Marcus Cooper 2.0, startable and gets stats but makes mistakes.

He played both safety and corner for us, really didn't do terribly in either role. I think he's better suited to play safety though, he definitely isn't going to be the fastest or most athletic DB on your roster. But absolutely worth a spot on the back end of the 52 as depth

Sounds like a solid depth signing if he signs here

Edited by JETSfaninNE
  • Upvote 1

Some more comments about Marcus Cromartie from other Niners fans:

He once got called up from the practice squad on Saturday and shut down Julio Jones on Sunday. Not sure why the coaching staff was never higher on him tbh. You guys got a steal.

This dude thought we signed him already

Hes a special teams ace. Expect him to make lots of tackles downfield on kick and punt coverage.

This sounds exactly like the type of depth players we need.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 

The #Saints are hosting #Patriots RFA CB Malcolm Butler on his visit now & there is momentum toward finalizing a deal before he leaves.

Pats will get their 1st back when all is said and done

The rumors were a 3rd round pick and maybe another player from the Saints.  Granted that rumor was from like 3 days ago.

This is just a camp body imo.  Unless due to injury this guy won't make the opening day roster.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If Patton does well, undrafted Jalin Marshall goes bye bye

I honestly think Marshall has more upside.  I would be shocked if Patton makes this WR squad without the need of injury help.

14 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Who got the better deal..

Davis can't helicopter so default win to McCown!

• Upvote 1

49'rs released RB Tim Hightower.  edit: nvm, man time moves fast when you get old, didn't even realize he's 31...

Edited by JETSfaninNE
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

Cardinals releasing WR Aaron Dobson.

You mean Aaron Dropson?  No ty! we got enough droppers on the team already! :)

Eagles released C Tyler Orlosky.  I remember looking at this dude during the 2017 draft.   

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company