C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ijalana is a jag, if we wants to walk fine with me.

He is a Jag but he is the Jets Jag when the other OL below him are the likes of Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Craig Watts.  I think he performed admirably (or at least with effort) last season and is not an optimal roster spot but can at least stop the QB from getting immediately killed.

Let's see what they come up with.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Agreed. That 2 better be second overall, not second round.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The report I saw was 34, 66, and change. which makes sense because of the contract issue, but also seems like a huge mistake for the skins.

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

From a team's perspective, compensation for a player equals draft pick plus money.  

Draft picks are valuable because they get you players that even with high picks are cheaper than what you need to pay in FA.

So to get a QB for the 2nd pick PLUS the obligation to pay them $20mm/year, that is very, very expensive.  Either you sign someone without expending a draft pick, or use the high pick for someone and pay them a 1/3 of that.

This is the same reason why SR is not, and Mo was not, going to garner a 1st round pick-because not only do they cost the pick, but they cost FA money.

Yes, the Jets received a 1st round pick for Revis, and for Abraham.  I think those deals are tougher to get today given the gap between rookie and FA contracts.

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

The #Lions and OT Ricky Wagner have agreed in principle on a contract, source said. It will eclipse $9M per year, setting a new market.

Good thing the Jets did not lock up Ijalana.

Perry is the Save Bowles' Job signing.  He needs to show defensive competence.  This helps that a lot.  

Ravens signing Jefferson shows good taste, but he was udfa.  Max needs to draft his own.  Johnson from BC.  

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Chris Mortensen‏ @mortreport

Kirk Cousins appealed personally to owner Dan Snyder for a trade but was basically told not to get his hopes up, per sources.

Snyder is a businessman to the extreme (as opposed to Woody, who is just clueless).  

I would bet that the Redskins are NOT a playoff team in 2017.  Too dysfunctional.  They are going to need to mail their draft to make up for spending that much on Cousins.

And in 2018, he is gone.  Maybe that is the Jets' plan...Not a bad one.

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

LOL

This is just awful.

His wife would be a complete distraction to this team.

• Upvote 1

I think as the Jets rebuild they should be rebuilding their culture and the locker room first. 

Cutler is a disaster.

Will they need to buy another treadmill?

• Upvote 2

By trading SR the Jets get out of his cap hit.  That has huge value.  The best case scenario is a 3rd round comp pick in 2019.  That could cost 8mm.  A QB that spares the jets from paying that, with perhaps another pick, is a good deal.

McCarron and Siemian are cheap.  Siemian has 2 years of contract, McCarron 1.  SR is one year for 8mm with a cheaper franchise tag than a QB.  Sounds like terms for a good trade to me.

SR could transform both Broncos and Bengals and help them get to the playoffs.  Those QBs are keeping the Jets from Cutler and filling a hole.  Those teams would get a much better deal.

• Upvote 2

Somebody in the Chargers organization knows how to draft big nasty players, but other than that they can be most dysfunctional than the Jets.

It looks like Glennon's deal is 2 years.  Do the Bears take Kizer or Trubitzky and develop them?  Both are Midwest guys and could use some seasoning.  

I see 2 scenarios:

Either the top non-QBs are all picked, and the Jets are staring at the QBs.  Those players are Garrett, Adams, Foster.  Maybe Hooker and Lattimore (they have top class athleticim, just injury issues).    I think in that case they the Jets go with a QB and try and develop them all.  They could always trade Hack, Petty or the draft pick later, even if they pick up a QB before the draft (likely).

The top QBs are all picked before the Jets pick.  In that case they take one of the star defenders.  They should pray Adams is there. 

I think Petty's days could be numbered.  I think it Jonathan Allen will get drafted lower than anticipated.

35 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Source tells that former QBs coach Kevin Patullo is joining Texas A&M coaching staff as an analyst

this is how bad our QB coach was and I bet the source of the Hack critic

Does that job even pay?

I said it before, but I think Gailey and Patullo completely mailed it in last year (with Fitz and Revis), and it took Bowles 12 games to figure it out.

Hightower is a good yin to Darron Lee's yang.  

He is 265 pounds.  Moves pretty well for that.

The Pats may believe his position and weight are such not to warrant a long term contract.   I think they got burned with Mayo's.  They will look to draft a replacement (do they have any picks left?).

The Patriots have actually invested high picks on ILBs who can cover-Collins, Mayo, Hightower.  They invest in those positions and OL.  

They draft CBs and WRs low (if at all).  

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Ras-I- Dowling?

Yes.  There have been a few.  

The better point is that the Patriots OL and ILB have been relatively high draft picks.  The particularly do not find ILB in the lower rounds.  

• Thumb Down 1

There may be an unofficial NFL policy that to field a team and collect ticket and TV revenue a team needs to have a QB on the roster that has started at least X games.   I don't think Petty is meeting that requirement.   A draft pick would not either.   The Jets have totally bungled their QB situation.  It will be very hard for Petty to survive on this roster, even if we thought he would be good, as another QB is likely to get drafted.  

The Browns had RG III and McCown and still sufficiently tanked.  The Jets need to sign someone, but I agree that Cutler is the worst possible option.  Daniels is betterish, as is Osweiler.

This roster is so, so bad.  There is only 1 position group where a draft pick would be redundant.  

I don't think they liked Lynch.

I am feeling Trubiskey.  WCO QB. See PFF.  I agree with that.

It has been argued that the Jets should not spend too much money in ILBs, which I appreciate.

The one silver lining is that the Jets do not spend money on OLBs, and they will likely not for awhile.  So their overall LB spend for a 3-4 team is probably pretty reasonable, even assuming that they sign Hightower.  

36 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

Patriots are giving LB Dont'a Hightower a 4-year, $43.5M deal that includes $19M guaranteed, per .

Hightower is a big guy who plays hard and has an injury history.  His best days as an ILB are either here or behind him, not in the future.  He is likely cut or restructured in year 3.

The Jets have kept players beyond their expiration time and time again.  Hightower would have gotten at least 3 years with the Jets.  Look at the money Harris will make, and that Mangold made.  

McClendon seems like a good player and good guy, but given his comp, who else the Jets have at DL (it continues to be their favorite position to draft, sign and pickup) and the timeline to being competitive, they should trade him for the best offer.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Lot of chatter and speculation about Revis and the Steelers. Not happening folks

I'd say Dallas is a possibility after the past hour

Revis to Dallas can so happen.  

If the want to build for the future, save salary cap for later and play and develop young players, the older veteran expensive defenders should be replaced, hopefully with draft picks.  

That would be more from McClendon, Skrine, Harris, Gilcrist.  Trade SR and Pryor.

The future is not now.  It is later.   

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I like Rivera, would be a smart addition.

FWIW, Mychal Rivera is the brother of Naya Rivera, one of the cheerleaders from Glee.  Would attach a picture if I knew how.

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Not sure either [Hack or Petty] would clear waivers to make it to the PS..

FWIW, at the time of the 2015 draft, people were thinking that the Jets would take Petty or Garrett Grayson.  Grayson actually went in the 3rd round to the Saints, and the Jets traded up to pick Petty.  Sometime last year Grayson was released and put onto the Practice Squad.

QBs that are in development belong on the PS.  NFL teams are often only keeping 2 QBs, and they both can play.  The Hack problem (and maybe even Petty) was using good picks to pick QBs who really are far from playing.  Those QBs should be drafted lower, if at all.

We may see another Ivy League QB, Alex Torgersen from Penn, get drafted or be an UDFA.  The Jets visited him at Penn.  That is a good candidate for the PS.  He is 6-3, 230 and played for a pro style offense.   he played for a real CA HS that won the state championship.  He just wanted to get an East Coast  education.

26 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm not diagreeing with you but a QB with these type of skills and rawness are 6th rounders, at best.  Drafting Hack at 51 was a complete disservice to not only your scouting dept but to Hack.

Yes Hack got paid but by being drafted so high, there are unrealistic expectations.  And by year three his salary is gonna require him to be much further along then he probably will be.

Add the fact that so many rookie QBs started so many games last year and compare that to the fact that the team didn't want him anywhere near the field.

Week 17 against Buffalo would have been a perfect opportunity to get him some reps. They were essentially forfeiting by playing their young, raw QBs, why the hell didn't we?

I agree completely with this.  One could argue that a QB should not be drafted higher than the 5th round unless they could step in and play (hand off, complete a simple pass) at least at game 9.    A QB that needs to work on their mechanics is ps material.  They should change the rules to allow teams to put a QB on the ps who cannot be stolen (or a 54th developmental QB).

How many teams last year warehoused a qb on the 53?  The fact that Gailey checked out was not helpful either.

Morton will be more WCO.  Needs a accurate QB who can move a bit.  

• Upvote 1

I don't see the Jets passing on Trubisky if he is there.   I don't know whether they trade up for him (SF will look for a team to do that), but I don't see them passing on him.  We will know more during the next month.

If Trubisky is there, that means another elite athlete is not.  Trubisky could be the BPA (QB adjusted).  They could always trade he or Hack.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

McCown tells me that the Jets are going with Hack and/or a draft pick.  They are not playing the short term game. 

I applaud that.

The Jets have a free spin on Jalin Marshall.  He goes through OTAs and training camp and then is not part of the final 53-he is suspended.

The same thing with ASJ.

Given the number of injuries they can be expected to suffer (but hopefully they are training better to avoid them), having an extra WR is not a horrible idea.  Decker could be IR'd (I actually think that is smart if he would restructure somewhat), Devin Smith is delicate and Marshall will be suspended.  They can play this one by ear.

I would be curious to know what the percentage of Macc's signings since he arrived were WRs and DL?  They would seem his favorite position groups.

58 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So we are talking trading one of our best defensive players for a 4th round pick.........................

Yes!

• All he does in 2017 is potentially win us a game or two, but we are not making the playoffs.
  • He is not, and should not, be on the team in 2018 and beyond.
  • His salary can be applied to the cap in 2017 and beyond-can extend Enunwa with it, for example.
  • At best he gets us a "3rd round" (very late) pick in 2018.  Could be lower if he does not sign for a great contract, or we sign other FAs.
  • In this draft our old 4th round pick is pretty good.  The Redskins 3rd round pick is a home run

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A "what if" draft pick guarantees you nothing not even to win us 1 game. 

No draft pick is a home run here not even the #1 pick,havent you learned anything yet. 

The 2017 will not be a playoff team and SR will not be on the team in 2018.

On that basis, I support moves that maximize the value of the SR relationship.

To me, that is not paying him in 2017, getting a reasonable draft pick in the 2017 draft and having him not win the team any games, and perhaps developing other DL for the future.  The Jets should win games with who they are long term, not a 1 year rental.

The alternative is using 2017 cap for him, getting a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2019 (maybe), haviing the coaches struggle to use him and having him take snaps from other players.

On that basis I would move McClendon while we are at it.

• Upvote 2

SR just needs to go in 2017.  He is not here in 2018.  This is a good, deep draft.  John Johnson of BC is mocked in the 4th-5th round, for example.  

If SR goes on a tear and wins us a game-that just costs us draft position.  He is not leading the Jets to the playoffs.

Macc should basically auction him with a 4th round floor. 

36 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

For someone born into his position Arizona State REALLY is an odd choice.   

Woody basically came into an enormous sum of money that was conditional on neither he nor his brother touching the flagship company.

He somehow, with or without help, had the stroke of genius to buy an NFL football team.

He then was smart enough to work with Bill Parcells and Tanny to help him put together a team competitive enough to open a new stadium with and sell PSLs.

He spent his own money to build a world class training facility in Florham Park

But since then, left to his own devices, he has been completely clueless as to how build and run a competitive NFL team.  He can not even sit in the same room with the Rooney's, Maras or Kraft.  Even Davis of the Raiders has it figured out better than Woody.

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree at this point it seems Forte and Powell are injury prone. 

My vote would be to jettison Forte, take the cap hit, and sign a RB or 2 that is more likely to stay healthy and could contribute to the future.

Then I would convert a DL or 2 into a WR or OL.

Moves like this would result in a more balanced roster.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company