C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

16 hours ago, JiF said:

Nope.  Had to use google.  Unfortunately, the dictionary I used didnt explain how a team acquires a player who's been franchised by another team. 

rumor is the redskins will get SF's 2, 3, and another pick for Cousins and picks

By 2 do you mean overall pick #2, or a 2nd rounder?
Because there is no chance the Skins move Cousins for a 2nd round pick and some toss in.
ESPN this morning was all but guaranteeing that if the deal got done, it would be for the #2 overall pick and then some.

The report I saw was 34, 66, and change. which makes sense because of the contract issue, but also seems like a huge mistake for the skins.

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

From a team's perspective, compensation for a player equals draft pick plus money.  
Draft picks are valuable because they get you players that even with high picks are cheaper than what you need to pay in FA.
So to get a QB for the 2nd pick PLUS the obligation to pay them $20mm/year, that is very, very expensive.  Either you sign someone without expending a draft pick, or use the high pick for someone and pay them a 1/3 of that.
This is the same reason why SR is not, and Mo was not, going to garner a 1st round pick-because not only do they cost the pick, but they cost FA money.
Yes, the Jets received a 1st round pick for Revis, and for Abraham.  I think those deals are tougher to get today given the gap between rookie and FA contracts.

exactly. but it still seems like a mistake to give up a franchise qb for that. The going rate for the rights to draft a potential franchise QB is at least two first-round picks (see the various trades to move up in the draft for a franchise guy in the top few picks). The discount from that to the reported haul for cousins is pretty steep. Yes the contract is an issue. But it's also a proven player not just potential.

More importantly, from the Redskins perspective, it's going to take a hell of a lot more than that in assets to replace cousins

This is a good year for the Jets to go sign guys like Nick Perry - young, scheme diverse players who are likely to be highly productive - because we have no FAs of our own who are leaving (so signing outside guys doesn't risk costing us a draft pick, the way signing Forte did last year)

• Upvote 3

would anyone do Sheldon for McCarron straight up?

I'd do Sheldon for a turkey sandwich at this point. terrific player, horrible fit in our D, eats up big cap room, and bad in the locker room.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Ian Rapoport 
The #Browns are planning on cutting Brock Osweiler, source said. Of course, if someone will trade for him…

jets should be interested once he's cut

It just seems that every position in the NFL has become overpriced. 

I don't think you grasp how markets work. this is the equivalent of "in my day, a movie cost a quarter".

I don't think you grasp how markets work. this is the equivalent of "in my day, a movie cost a quarter".

or, to put it another way, if "everything" is overpriced, then you need to adjust your conception of what constitutes an appropriate price level

TRADE! The Patriots have traded their #32 & 3rd #103 pick to the Saints for wide receiver Brandin Cooks & their 4th #118 pick per sources

god da mnit 

why? as a Jets fan, glad to see it.

TRADE! The Patriots have traded their #32 & 3rd #103 pick to the Saints for wide receiver Brandin Cooks & their 4th #118 pick per sources

god da mnit 

why? as a Jets fan, glad to see it.

Everything NE does has an impact on us. 
@peebag who negative reps another post which is a fact. 

this is so true. now that they've traded for Cooks,it's much less likely we can take the division from them this year

• Upvote 2

Politics?  Really NO THANKS 

wrong link

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Delete the period at the end

Thanks. Posting gifs from a phone ... never doing that again

Its a myth that they have drafted better then other teams, they actually just manage their team at an elite level which makes it seem like their drafts are far more successful.

No. what they do better than anyone else (except maybe Baltimore) is accumulate picks, via trade and comp picks, so they can miss as often as they do and still find many contributors

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

3/16/17, 4:01 PM

Former Cowboys' CB Morris Claiborne is expected to sign with the Jets, per league source. CB market now moving.

Old news, CMart

Pennel's an interesting signing; he's a nose tackle type (333 pounds) and I'd guess he's basically coming in for a roster battle with McClendon (cutting McLendon after training camp would save the team almost 3M on this year's cap and an additional 3.25 next year) as the backup to Simon at NT.

• Upvote 1

BTW, that should say the Jets are "resigning" Pennel; they claimed him on waivers in February when the Pack cut him after he was suspended a second time for banned substances

12 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Jets signed two players in the past half hour and fights break out here at JetNation.....big surprise.

What fights?

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer

Jets offer was pulled after physical, so this was a moot point by the time Hightower accepted Pats' offer.

Wow.  Wonder what they saw ...

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2017 at 1:59 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bad move considering our draft history we have a proven NFL star vs a what if draft pick. 

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

On 3/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, varjet said:

Yes!

• All he does in 2017 is potentially win us a game or two, but we are not making the playoffs.
  • He is not, and should not, be on the team in 2018 and beyond.
  • His salary can be applied to the cap in 2017 and beyond-can extend Enunwa with it, for example.
  • At best he gets us a "3rd round" (very late) pick in 2018.  Could be lower if he does not sign for a great contract, or we sign other FAs.
  • In this draft our old 4th round pick is pretty good.  The Redskins 3rd round pick is a home run

Actually, it would be a comp pick in 2019, after he signs as a FA in 2018.  A 4th round pick this year is the equivalent of a 2 in 2019.

Bottom line, keeping Sheldon this season does nothing to help this team win a Super Bowl.  In fact, by costing us 8M in cap room, he hurts our chances of doing that in future years.  He needs to go - period.

• Upvote 1

Vlad DuCasse,Stephen Hill,Vernon Gholston,Dee Milliner,Quinton Coples,Kyle Wilson all say hello. 

The sad thing is, you don't grasp that getting a draft pick who ends up exactly like those guys would still be better for the jets' future chances of winning a super bowl than keeping Sheldon this year

• Upvote 2

The sadder thing is you don't recognize talent when you see it. 
A lot can happen between now and next year regarding Sheldon Richardson. 
A new GM and head coach could want Sheldon Richardson here and find a productive way to use him unlike our morons who seem to not have a clue. 

Wait, but you're not in charge of his usage ...

seriously, though - his usage doesn't matter. neither does his immense talent. he, Williams & Wilkerson share a position that only allows 2 of them on the field for any one play - which makes allocating the cap and cash needed to keep all three of them long term completely idiotic. Mo got his long term deal and Williams is the best of the three, so Sheldon is the odd one out. there is literally nothing he could do this year that would be better for the Jets' long term chances of winning a super bowl than having the 8M in 2017 cap available to roll forward for use in a future season. seriously, if you're going to deny that, then post the specifics of what it is that he could do for those long term chances "if he were used correctly"

and if you can't do that (and you can't), then would you please, just for once, shut the **** up?

• Upvote 4

truth is, I'm agnostic about where we generate pressure from. I do think the fact that the FO was very high on Simon contributed to the willingness to let Harrison walk and prioritize Mo. But we overpaid for Mo and that will hurt us in the long run - he's just not enough of a game-wrecker to command that type of deal

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company