C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Kenny Britt, the oldest 28 yr old ever.

Did he play little league with Danny Almonte?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 

#Jets interested in re-signing LT Ben Ijalana, but there will be a market for him. Versatility (can play LT and RT) is attractive.

Was there a market for him the last two years?  The Jets let him hit free agency in 2015 and 2016 and signed him a month later in both years to one year deals at or near the vet min.  If what they did with Powell is any indication, they will probably give him 3/$12M now for no apparent reason.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ijalana is a jag, if we wants to walk fine with me.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

He is a Jag but he is the Jets Jag when the other OL below him are the likes of Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Craig Watts.  I think he performed admirably (or at least with effort) last season and is not an optimal roster spot but can at least stop the QB from getting immediately killed.

Let's see what they come up with.

I honestly wonder if they may have let guys like Ijalana a Powell test the market so that they might count for comp picks.  I don't think either would count for much, but with such underwhelming players, that may end up a deciding factor.  I know everyone has fallen in love with Powell, but he was not in high demand during the 2015 offseason.  I actually kind of like having Ijalana around, but feel like Beerfish.  If he is here to compete as depth, fine.  If somebody wants to pay him much - thank you for your service. I certainly would prefer to upgrade and i am not sure he is discernibly better than Qvale.

OTOH, it is not that likely they consider this based on their FA spending habits.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Both of their DE's are 30 and older. So a chance to get younger

25 is not older than 30.  Quinn, Donald and Brockers are all 26 or younger.  What old DEs do they even have? Besides, is Richardson even a DE?  He is probably more DT than DE assuming you are moving him to a 4-3 team.  A better answer would be that the Rams seem to love adding defensive linemen, so why wouldn't they add another?  They draft them almost as often as us. They drafted D-line in the first 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, and 2014. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, varjet said:

Good thing the Jets did not lock up Ijalana.

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How much did we just pay for winters?  Wasn't it like 8 per year or something?

Reilly Reiff at $6-8M > Winters at $8M

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

They could move Jenkins inside. Jenkins reminds me of Mo Lewis, who played inside & outside

Why would they do that?  Then they would probably need to fill both OLB slots. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

they have mauldin too.   why are the focusing on lb?

I am far from convinced he is a starting OLB.  He missed the last third of the season with some ankle injury and they didn't look any worse with Catapano, Carter and Bishop.  

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

That's IF they sign Perry...They still have Mauldin

Okay.  Then they would need one OLB if they kicked Jenkins inside. ;)

FWIW, I am not particularly impressed with Mauldin as a situational pass rusher either.

20 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Jets signing cutler ... 3 years ~45 per wfan 

Did those morons say "signing"?  That is basically what Cutler costs now.  If that is an acceptable deal, you trade for him.  Then you can cut him at any time.  Chicago hasn't gotten any offers, but a 5th-7th would be worth being able to cut him early

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The only way he's coming here is if Houston doesn't offer him and he's forced to take our price.

Then he might retire.  

"He's one of several veterans who are still considering whether they want to play," Rapoport continued. "It is a consideration. It's something he's confided in people." Cutler will be 34 in April and has dealt with several injuries the last couple seasons including the torn labrum he is currently rehabbing, but it would be shocking if he decided to retire. This is almost certainly a ploy to scare away any potential trading partners, forcing the Bears to release him and allowing him to pick his next destination. With so many quarterback-needy teams, Cutler should have a healthy market once he is cut.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Foles is FA

His price under contract is supposed to be around $6.4M which seems pretty fair when Hoyer is getting that much. If they were interested I would have considered a trade.  

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

LOVE this idea. McCarron is sneaky good.

You know who thinks this?  AJ McCarron.  

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't trade Richardson for McCarron. I keep Sheldon and don't play him out of position. 

Okay.  Which one do you play out of position?  Wilkerson or Williams? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I play all 3 of them but not on every down. 3 guys playing two positions. Not saying on a specific play a guy can't line up differently or you can't use all 3 of them at the same time. 

So.... out of position? 

Just now, Stark said:

trade wilkerson.. 

Hahaha.  We couldn't trade him on his rookie deal or his tender.  You are going to be able to trade him now?  What are we going to get?  Two firsts, I am sure!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Stark said:

ha, no unfortunately no one wants him. but ideally he doesn't break his leg to end the 2015 season and we would have been able to trade him.

I still think just watching him and richardson, richardson looks more like more beastly type of player. 

Also more dangerous to have on roster.  Volatile dude.  Richardson is a FA after this year.  You want to tag him?  Pay him?  Let him walk after trading your best player? 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

jesus, it was a statement made as a joke... 

Sorry.  You do realize what the other guy I am talking to is saying, right?  That might explain why I don't always see sarcasm around here. 

12 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

Holmes has Chaz Schilens written all over him.....

I Like Holmes.  I wouldn't pay a bunch for him, but he is a D2 guy and is physically an NFL guy.  His catch rate is pretty bad, but he could be a nice rotational piece.  I am probably biased because I watched him in the 2013 Thanksgiving game where he went off and made a couple of circus catches against Dallas.  

3 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

I could be wrong about him but the guy's career trajectory is going in the wrong direction.  He made a jump in year 3 to 47 catches but has backed that up with consecutive 13 catch seasons.  I could live with a roll of the dice on him but I'd rather give the opportunities to guys like Peake or Smith at this point.

I totally agree.  I don't see his career so much as being on the downside as the team went with Crabtree and Cooper.  Those guys get a ton of volume.  The only other WR that Carr threw to was Seth Roberts.  He is a guy I like, but you can't pay the guy.  At a lower tier WR4 deal - he has good upside and red zone potential. 

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

I am in this boat too.  I don't think AJ gets enough love.  He was a pretty decent project coming out of College, and the thing is he has sat a few years and learned from a pretty decent QB in Dalton.  Richardson is an asset, but not worth what many think he is worth.  If you get a 3/4 out of Cincy AND a QB, take it and run.

I'd make the deal because they may be lucky to get a 3 or 4 anyway and McCarron is dirt cheap.  OTOH, I am kind of tired of chicken arms.  Bad as Petty was, it was nice to have a qb that could sling it down the field. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your dream combo of Glennon to Jeffery never materializes.  I feel for you, bro. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, I don;t mind the move from the Browns point of view at all but they are not getting anything from a another team for him

Yes they can.  Convert some of his salary to bonus, eat the money and trade him for more picks.  Plenty of teams would like the guy as a backup that has won games or think they could redeem him.  It is only his crazy cap number that keeps people away.  Teams are dealing for Glennon, Hoyer and Mallet.  You think this kid is some kind of pariah that can't make a roster? 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I just way to say for the record....John Idzik is sitting pretty sweet right now out there in Jacksonville lol. 

He is probably going to end up paying half his salary to Coughlin in fines for not being early to meetings. 

• Upvote 2

I guess Daniel is getting cut.  If Morton likes him I guess you can have him in.  They sure as sh*t better not be paying $7M per for a 30 year old midget with a chicken arm and 2 career starts.  Read the draft reports when he came out.  He came out the same year as Stafford and Sanchez - walterfootball.com ranked him 32nd that year - behind such JN favorites as Drew Willy, Rhett Bomar and Nate Davis.  He is listed behind Mike Teel and John Parker Wilson twice!  He had a bad Shrine week and his hands and wing span were small.  The only one that liked him (along with Graham Harrell) was bleacher report (LOL) because These two QBs have great stats in college and in the combine.  Haha.  Combine.  I guess they liked him 2nd after Pat White cause he ran a decent 40. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Why does it matter if it's 1 yr or 2 yrs if the guy turns out to be your starter for 10+ seasons?

They are only under contract for 4 years (+ 1 year team option for 1sts).  After that you are dealing with Kirk Cousins.  Don't get me wrong, the 'skins are glad they have him, but if they had a reasonable idea he'd be a legit starter before his last contract year I'm sure they'd have locked him up.

Just now, section314 said:

Not a really fair comparison. Cousins was drafted the same year the Redskins mortgaged their future to trade up for RG111. They had to give RG111 3-4 years before they could ever cut bait, By that time, really too late to do much with Cousins.

I wasn't complaining about Cousins.  Just saying if you don't know if a guy is QB until year 4, you might as well be signing a FA.  Those guys are getting paid.  Even the ones that haven't show much (Osweiler, Glennon).  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

It has been argued that the Jets should not spend too much money in ILBs, which I appreciate.

The one silver lining is that the Jets do not spend money on OLBs, and they will likely not for awhile.  So their overall LB spend for a 3-4 team is probably pretty reasonable, even assuming that they sign Hightower.  

Why is that a silver lining?  It's not like we have good OLBs.  Mauldin is borderline as a player and I'm not sold on Jenkins.  It is actually indicative of the team doing things backwards.  Again.  Places to spend:  QB, EDGE, LT, CB.  Places not to spend RB, ILB, interior Oline, S.  How are we doing?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think spending on safety is good idea, if done wisely, i.e., on a safety who actually does something. There are several safeties projected as top-15 picks in this year's draft.

It depends what you consider spending.  IMO, it is not a place to spend real money (the $10M+ we are talking about for Hightower is crazy money) or top-15 picks.  If these guys were that good they would be CBs, just like if those Gs were that good they would be LTs and if those LBs were so good they would be getting sacks and transitioning to OLB.  

17 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think you spend as appropriate for the position. If Safety doesn't command the same money as a LB then, of course, you don't spend LB money on a safety. But a good safety is not the same as a good CB. The positions are different as is the skill set. your opinion that a good safety is never as good as a good CB ignores the great safeties of the present and past. Of course, I understand why you would: the Jets don't have any great safeties and haven't for quite a while. A great safety makes the CBs better because they don't have to be perfect, they can cover short OR deep because they know someone has their back.

The OG argument you made is absurd. The positions are different: one plays predominantly in space against smaller, quicker defenders and the other plays against more powerful DTs. And that's just in the passing game...

Absurd?  Check where most NFL linemen played in HS and college.  Brandon Scherff LT. Erick Flowers LT.  Look at the Jets 2013 draft Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi were both college LTs.  Brandon Shell- LT, James Carpenter LT.  Look at the Cowboys stud line:  Doug Free LT,  La'el Collins LT, Zack Martin LT, Ronald Leary LT, LT Tyron Smith actually played RT, but that was because he couldn't beat out Matt Kalil.  Frederick was actually a C in college.  I will admit that snapping the ball is a special skill, but the main reason that guys are interior linemen and not LTs is because they are too slow to stop edge rushers and/or their arms are too short. You will also see that some guys play inside or the right earlier in their college careers, but end up at LT when they are seniors because that is the most important position. 

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

How is a good, not great ILB worth $10+ mil but Glennon, a good qb, not worth $14 mil

Why the **** are you asking me?  I wouldn't give either of them more than $7M and my personal opinion is that Glennon is not a starter. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Perhaps THE most important, hardly THE ONLY important. And it is absurd. a great OL has studs at each position because it is a unit. a great LT is useless if a defense can blitz the A gap successfully. And, again, the interior lineman play against a totally different type of player, which your argument ignores. You wouldn't want 5 LTs playing on your OL. You want a mixture of players who play best inside and players who play best on the outside based on their abilities.

That players play a position in high school, where the competition is less and the player development at its infancy seems somewhat irrelevant to their careers in college and the pros. In HS, one player may play at a position because there is ZERO competition, that is, he may be the best, by far, than any of his teammates. So, I'm not sold that this argument adds any persuasive information.

I just showed you that the Cowboys, the best offensive line in football, have 4 LTs (actually 5) and a C.  The Jets have 4 LTs and a C.  That is exactly what you want.  The only reason to want otherwise?  VALUE!  If it didn't cost so much, your line would be full of LTs

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

And I just explained that an LT in highschool is pretty much meaningless because, often, there is zero competition.

And, again, you've ignored the fact that a 280 pound LT would be less useful at OG because OGs play against slower, more powerful players.

Those guys didn't play LT in high school.  They all played LT in college.  At places like Alabama, Virginia, and Notre Dame, In high school they probably played QB because that is the most important position.  Doesn't it tell you something that the LT on the best offensive line in football played RT in college because they had a better player? In the NFL they both play LT because that is where your top offensive lineman should be. 

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Ok, then replace High School with college in my argument. Its the same premise.

The qb argument is a very humorous notion that seems to incorporate the same logic as your main argument.

I will agree to disagree because I think we are definitely on opposite sides of this issue with no significant common ground.

It's not the same premise.  The best offensive linemen will almost invariably be LTs.  You are trying to complicate football, acting like guard and tackle are so inherently different.  The point is to block.  How many of the top guards played LT in college?  They transition inside, either because they are not good enough or due to physical limitations.  Very few top picks come out as guards.  Guys like Decastro are few and far between.  Branden Albert was a top G coming out.  He plays LT now.  Why did he make that transition?  Because LT is more important.  Why didn't he play LT in college?  Because D'Brick and Eugene Monroe were better.

I am not saying you can't spend any money on the interior line.  I am saying that when your 3 highest paid linemen are interior players, you are not properly allocating your resources.  If it is because you got lucky with a later pick, that's cool.  It is easier to get lucky with a later pick inside than out.  Hopefully we hit with Shell.  Likewise, at LB, the outside players are usually going to make more - rush guys are simply harder to find and you have to pay a premium.   Instead we have a #1 pick, a high dollar old vet and we are courting a guy for QB money when our OLBs are underwhelming 3rd rounders who combined for 5 sacks.  That is backwards if you ask me  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company