C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

Wow, that Osweiler trade is absolutely ridiculous.  That said, no team is going to turn around and hand over a pick to the Browns for him, if nothing else but as a matter of pure principal.  For starters, I can hardly imagine any teams being interested in him to begin with and if they were, they could have just made this deal themselves to come away with this as a net gain to take him on.

The only possible exception would be if there's an interested team that wasn't willing to pay the price on the cap, but that would involve 1 of 2 solutions, the first being Osweiler agreeing to a massive paycut, which he of course won't do because he has the guarantees coming, and if he was willing to do that, the interested team would have sorted that out themselves and not go through this round of crap.

The ONLY alternative that would be possible is if the Browns were to restructure Osweiler's contract to have his guarantees be an immediate bonus, which they would therefore eat, and then ultimately trade Osweiler away at what would be a reduced cost to the team trading for him.  Even then, no team would be willing to give up much for Osweiler, for a combination of him looking like crap last year, and no GM would make themselves look that stupid by giving up anything even slightly significant to get a player the Browns were just paid off to take away.  Best case scenario for the Browns if they want to move Osweiler again, it will be a low pick after they eat most of the cap hit.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jbt said:

Clev wants a 3rd rounder for Brock and they will pay half of his salary.  do we bite?

Unless they are giving a 3rd rounder and paying 95% of his salary... no.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Tannenbaum love is second only to Herm love as it relates to Jets fans proving they're morons.

A long line of Jets QBs feel very discriminated against by this post.  One of them may very well be looking to obtain another new "comeback" award on this particular matter.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Anything on mangold? He seems ike a day 3 guy, but no visits or rumors?

Only reports I had seen were a couple of days ago that teams were calling him up about a possible switch to guard, but he was looking to stay at center.  It might be a matter of him needing to agree to make that move, or waiting it out for a while.

3 minutes ago, Matthew007b said:

did we just sign...Tanner Purdum again?  Is that 3 long snappers now? :/ I'm happy for him...but.. heck bring back Nick Mangold..

Hey, you have some damn respect!  That's one of the great Jets of all time you're talking about there!

To be clear, I'm talking about Purdum.

• Upvote 1

Patton is nothing impressive so far in his career, but is one of the type of guys the Jets should be going after.  Cheap, young, with some potential upside.  His numbers don't jump out at you the past 2 years (both around 30/400), but this is a guy who is likely to be battling it out for the #3 spot or lower.  He was also apparently a contributor on special teams as well, which is not exactly something the Jets have an abundance of.  Depending on what the contract #s come out to be, who knows if he's even a lock to make the team.  Hardly something to get worked up about.

2 minutes ago, jbt said:

why did we cut this guy after signing him?

Texans WR Bruce Ellington "appears destined to survive" final cuts.

Ellington has flashed since signing with the Texans three weeks ago. Getting playing time with the first-team due to injuries, Ellington has eight catches for 122 yards through two preseason games. He appears to be competing with Dres Anderson for a roster spot, although injuries and Jaelen Strong's one-game suspension could allow both to stick.

I haven't seen any of what he's done with the Texans, but he seemed to be part of an endless rotation at WR they had going on at the time.  The guy hardly has a great track record considering he's got 19 catches after 3 years in SF.  It's not like he was facing such great competition at the position there either, but I guess we'll see.  Here's hoping that the Jets were right, and they end up having someone better.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company