NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Regardless of Glennon (I'd have paid him), dude's right about $12 million for Hightower being a dumb move. He isn't worth that kind of money. 

1. We have no idea if it's actually true that we offered 12mil per year.  I don't want him period, but you don't see me losing my sh*t the past 4-5 days like he has.

2. Glennon wasn't worth 14-15mil per year. Especially for us, a team in the process of rebuilding that has a legitimate shot at 3 prospects already better than him in the next draft. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1. We have no idea if it's actually true that we offered 12mil per year.  I don't want him period, but you don't see me losing my sh*t the past 4-5 days like he has.

The Pats are offering 10 and he wants more. He accepted our invitation to visit. We baked him ******* cupcakes. This isn't rocket science.

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Pats are offering 10 and he wants more. He accepted our invitation to visit. We baked him ******* cupcakes. This isn't rocket science.

LOL 

You know they aren't f*cking around when they break out the yummy treats.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, and for all you know we're offering a similar deal with a different structure that might be more appeasing to him and nothing more (+ cupcakes apparently)

Remember when everyone flipped a sh*t because we were gonna make a huuuuuuge push for Glennon with franchise QB money?  How about the blockbuster deal we were supposedly gonna give Nick Perry that everyone started lactating their b*tch t*ts over?  All of this nonsense because of this lazy eyed f*ck who's almost ALWAYS wrong:  

0953406001426150980_filepicker.jpg

I'm with you on this. I don't want Hightower.  I honestly dont want anyone.  I want almost every single penny saved until next year.  It's JUST kinda f*cking annoying to have the same guy cry and complain Joewilly12 style, every single thread, that he's still upset that we didn't sign Glennon for 14-15 million per year so he makes sure that every conversation devolves to that.  He's crying and complaining about a transaction that hasn't happened and just somehow had to bring the f*cking Glennon trash into it.

If they sign Hightower they get younger. I am all for that. Look at it this way: They sign Hightower and cut the old guy and save 6.5 mil.  The way Mac structures contracts there has to be some kind of out after 2 or 3 seasons right? So if he sucks or tanks it(my worry) he is gone and the damage is minimal. Could be their thinking on this. Unless they totally bent over for him and guaranteed a lot of money throughout the lifetime of the deal this is not a bad signing. For me its the way the agreement is structured not the amount they pay him. Its all moot anyway. Why take 2 mil more to spend your prime years losing when you could possibly get 2 more rings? Doesn't make sense unless your a dumbass or greedy.

21 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they sign Hightower they get younger. I am all for that. Look at it this way: They sign Hightower and cut the old guy and save 6.5 mil.  The way Mac structures contracts there has to be some kind of out after 2 or 3 seasons right? So if he sucks or tanks it(my worry) he is gone and the damage is minimal. Could be their thinking on this. Unless they totally bent over for him and guaranteed a lot of money throughout the lifetime of the deal this is not a bad signing. For me its the way the agreement is structured not the amount they pay him. Its all moot anyway. Why take 2 mil more to spend your prime years losing when you could possibly get 2 more rings? Doesn't make sense unless your a dumbass or greedy.

My only 2 problems with signing Hightower is that he's hurt...a lot.  Also, he's a liability in coverage so he's basically a younger David Harris, but not the durable tackling machine Harris was.  All of this and more expensive.

If the team is this dead set on getting two new faces to lead this corps for the next few years, then pass up Hightower, draft Foster out of Alabama and go from there....something else in honestly not a fan of either.  There are better players to be had at #6.  Honestly, riding out Harris's current deal and putting our attention elsewhere is probably what's best for the long term.  Yeah David is up there, but Hightower is only great when he's healthy enough to be on the field, and that hasn't been much.  He has one season under his belt where he played in all 16 games and I'm not giving 10-12 million per year to a guy like that.  

The money on the table is probably very close, with us sweetening  (no pun intended) the pot a little with the way it's structured, but I highly doubt he picks us over New England, and honestly, I don't think we're overly concerned about it.  

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, and for all you know we're offering a similar deal with a different structure that might be more appeasing to him and nothing more (+ cupcakes apparently)

Remember when everyone flipped a sh*t because we were gonna make a huuuuuuge push for Glennon with franchise QB money?  How about the blockbuster deal we were supposedly gonna give Nick Perry that everyone started lactating their b*tch t*ts over?  All of this nonsense because of this lazy eyed f*ck who's almost ALWAYS wrong:  

0953406001426150980_filepicker.jpg

I'm with you on this. I don't want Hightower.  I honestly dont want anyone.  I want almost every single penny saved until next year.  It's JUST kinda f*cking annoying to have the same guy cry and complain Joewilly12 style, every single thread, that he's still upset that we didn't sign Glennon for 14-15 million per year so he makes sure that every conversation devolves to that.  He's crying and complaining about a transaction that hasn't happened and just somehow had to bring the f*cking Glennon trash into it.

Yup. It's a defensible signing with his age and talent.When it turns around he could be a contributor. But after drafting Lee it looks moronic, and again the Jets have some insane idea that defense is going to save them while they figure to have an historically putrid offense. It is putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Dodge Dart. If they do not make a an effort to upgrade tho OL and TE (to say nothing of QB) it's a waste. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Yup. It's a defensible signing with his age and talent.When it turns around he could be a contributor. But after drafting Lee it looks moronic, and again the Jets have some insane idea that defense is going to save them while they figure to have an historically putrid offense. It is putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Dodge Dart. If they do not make a an effort to upgrade tho OL and TE (to say nothing of QB) it's a waste. 

Lee & Hightower are two different type of players. 

It has been argued that the Jets should not spend too much money in ILBs, which I appreciate.

The one silver lining is that the Jets do not spend money on OLBs, and they will likely not for awhile.  So their overall LB spend for a 3-4 team is probably pretty reasonable, even assuming that they sign Hightower.  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

It has been argued that the Jets should not spend too much money in ILBs, which I appreciate.

The one silver lining is that the Jets do not spend money on OLBs, and they will likely not for awhile.  So their overall LB spend for a 3-4 team is probably pretty reasonable, even assuming that they sign Hightower.  

Why is that a silver lining?  It's not like we have good OLBs.  Mauldin is borderline as a player and I'm not sold on Jenkins.  It is actually indicative of the team doing things backwards.  Again.  Places to spend:  QB, EDGE, LT, CB.  Places not to spend RB, ILB, interior Oline, S.  How are we doing?

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why is that a silver lining?  It's not like we have good OLBs.  Mauldin is borderline as a player and I'm not sold on Jenkins.  It is actually indicative of the team doing things backwards.  Again.  Places to spend:  QB, EDGE, LT, CB.  Places not to spend RB, ILB, interior Oline, S.  How are we doing?

I think spending on safety is good idea, if done wisely, i.e., on a safety who actually does something. There are several safeties projected as top-15 picks in this year's draft.

There's a dozen or so Hightower topics, all saying the same thing, but I'll place this here:

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏ @AKinkhabwala  

#Steelers don't want Dont'a Hightower using them. He's left HQ, but he's been told if he gets on plane w/out signing, that offer is gone.

As of 9pm last night, Steelers expected same. Felt their offer was very close, but Hightower's agent asked for more time too many times.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

LB Dont'a Hightower is slated to make a call today: #Patriots, #Steelers or #Jets. Those involved expect he'll head home to NE. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

There's a dozen or so Hightower topics, all saying the same thing, but I'll place this here:

#Steelers don't want Dont'a Hightower using them. He's left HQ, but he's been told if he gets on plane w/out signing, that offer is gone.

Good for Pittsburgh, that's the way it should be.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

As of 9pm last night, Steelers expected same. Felt their offer was very close, but Hightower's agent asked for more time too many times.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

LB Dont'a Hightower is slated to make a call today: #Patriots, #Steelers or #Jets. Those involved expect he'll head home to NE. Stay tuned.

i get that he's good, but why would they invest in that position when they're rebuilding?

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think spending on safety is good idea, if done wisely, i.e., on a safety who actually does something. There are several safeties projected as top-15 picks in this year's draft.

It depends what you consider spending.  IMO, it is not a place to spend real money (the $10M+ we are talking about for Hightower is crazy money) or top-15 picks.  If these guys were that good they would be CBs, just like if those Gs were that good they would be LTs and if those LBs were so good they would be getting sacks and transitioning to OLB.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

It depends what you consider spending.  IMO, it is not a place to spend real money (the $10M+ we are talking about for Hightower is crazy money) or top-15 picks.  If these guys were that good they would be CBs, just like if those Gs were that good they would be LTs and if those LBs were so good they would be getting sacks and transitioning to OLB.  

I think you spend as appropriate for the position. If Safety doesn't command the same money as a LB then, of course, you don't spend LB money on a safety. But a good safety is not the same as a good CB. The positions are different as is the skill set. your opinion that a good safety is never as good as a good CB ignores the great safeties of the present and past. Of course, I understand why you would: the Jets don't have any great safeties and haven't for quite a while. A great safety makes the CBs better because they don't have to be perfect, they can cover short OR deep because they know someone has their back.

The OG argument you made is absurd. The positions are different: one plays predominantly in space against smaller, quicker defenders and the other plays against more powerful DTs. And that's just in the passing game...

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How is a good, not great ILB worth $10+ mil but Glennon, a good qb, not worth $14 mil

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why that position, as opposed to other positions.  

Name me the player that was capable of replacing someone we would lose or have lost that is as young as this player and has his resume  .

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Because Rebuilding doesn't have to mean stinking up the Joint on every given Sunday .

So true, why don't people get that???  We got rid of older, expensive, uninterested and under performing vets

and replacing them  

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

How is a good, not great ILB worth $10+ mil but Glennon, a good qb, not worth $14 mil

Glennon was a meh starter, so hardly a "good" qb. He's getting a shot, again, to prove that he's a "good" qb.

Hightower is a SB winner. Glennon hasn't sniffed the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think you spend as appropriate for the position. If Safety doesn't command the same money as a LB then, of course, you don't spend LB money on a safety. But a good safety is not the same as a good CB. The positions are different as is the skill set. your opinion that a good safety is never as good as a good CB ignores the great safeties of the present and past. Of course, I understand why you would: the Jets don't have any great safeties and haven't for quite a while. A great safety makes the CBs better because they don't have to be perfect, they can cover short OR deep because they know someone has their back.

The OG argument you made is absurd. The positions are different: one plays predominantly in space against smaller, quicker defenders and the other plays against more powerful DTs. And that's just in the passing game...

Absurd?  Check where most NFL linemen played in HS and college.  Brandon Scherff LT. Erick Flowers LT.  Look at the Jets 2013 draft Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi were both college LTs.  Brandon Shell- LT, James Carpenter LT.  Look at the Cowboys stud line:  Doug Free LT,  La'el Collins LT, Zack Martin LT, Ronald Leary LT, LT Tyron Smith actually played RT, but that was because he couldn't beat out Matt Kalil.  Frederick was actually a C in college.  I will admit that snapping the ball is a special skill, but the main reason that guys are interior linemen and not LTs is because they are too slow to stop edge rushers and/or their arms are too short. You will also see that some guys play inside or the right earlier in their college careers, but end up at LT when they are seniors because that is the most important position. 

Archived