C Mart

NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

No brainer for Hightower. Why in the world would he leave New England to play for the Jets if the difference is 1-2 million? Life is a lot better when you're 14-2 every year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

No brainer for Hightower. Why in the world would he leave New England to play for the Jets if the difference is 1-2 million? Life is a lot better when you're 14-2 every year.

Well you only have so many chances to  get paid and the Pats have clearly shown they have zero loyalty once a guy wants to get paid or is not as good as before.  I'm sure he wants to stay with the pats but a couple of his teammates have been turfed in very short order the last few year (collins, Jones)

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Schefter on twitter-  Dont'a Hightower is returning to the New England Patriots, sources tell ESPN. New England's off-season rolls on.

good - let us hope Pats had to pay a little more than they wanted to through all this

• Upvote 1

The Jets offseason brought you by Pootie Tang:

58963c2fe1024a7b30a4b4280981c7cf7233af07

• Upvote 1

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Good. Was expected. But of course we will see whining in Twitter. Then again, when won't we see whining on Twitter

Get off twitter. You'll live longer.

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Schefter on twitter-  Dont'a Hightower is returning to the New England Patriots, sources tell ESPN. New England's off-season rolls on.

Shocking news. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I hope that at least we drove up the price a little.

Looks like we did

and with all these NE players getting all this money - let us hope they spend more time in tahiti rather than gym

I hope the jets sweep them with all out unknowns

3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Not sure if this one was mentioned:

Who the hell is he?  Besides being cousins with Antonio.

You sure they're counsins? The way Antonio throws it around they may be father and son.

• Upvote 4

Apparently he rejected them two days ago     When he was at the facility. I wonder if the offer we were giving was even the legitimate offer 

Some more comments about Marcus Cromartie from other Niners fans:

He once got called up from the practice squad on Saturday and shut down Julio Jones on Sunday. Not sure why the coaching staff was never higher on him tbh. You guys got a steal.

This dude thought we signed him already

Hes a special teams ace. Expect him to make lots of tackles downfield on kick and punt coverage.

This sounds exactly like the type of depth players we need.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

Patriots are giving LB Dont'a Hightower a 4-year, $43.5M deal that includes $19M guaranteed, per .

Hightower is a big guy who plays hard and has an injury history.  His best days as an ILB are either here or behind him, not in the future.  He is likely cut or restructured in year 3.

The Jets have kept players beyond their expiration time and time again.  Hightower would have gotten at least 3 years with the Jets.  Look at the money Harris will make, and that Mangold made.  

Get minter for much less.  All the guys we missed out on are a blessing in disguise. 

We take Watson at 6 or we tank and get the 1st overall next year.  These are the only 2 acceptable outcomes at this point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not the same premise.  The best offensive linemen will almost invariably be LTs.  You are trying to complicate football, acting like guard and tackle are so inherently different.  The point is to block.  How many of the top guards played LT in college?  They transition inside, either because they are not good enough or due to physical limitations.  Very few top picks come out as guards.  Guys like Decastro are few and far between.  Branden Albert was a top G coming out.  He plays LT now.  Why did he make that transition?  Because LT is more important.  Why didn't he play LT in college?  Because D'Brick and Eugene Monroe were better.

I am not saying you can't spend any money on the interior line.  I am saying that when your 3 highest paid linemen are interior players, you are not properly allocating your resources.  If it is because you got lucky with a later pick, that's cool.  It is easier to get lucky with a later pick inside than out.  Hopefully we hit with Shell.  Likewise, at LB, the outside players are usually going to make more - rush guys are simply harder to find and you have to pay a premium.   Instead we have a #1 pick, a high dollar old vet and we are courting a guy for QB money when our OLBs are underwhelming 3rd rounders who combined for 5 sacks.  That is backwards if you ask me  

I think it IS the same premise. The competition at the collegiate level, while more robust, often is not as rigorous as the pros. So, again, a lot of times there are athletes who may be playing out of place out of necessity--because they simply don't have anyone else who COULD play the position better or even close to as good.

Moreover you state " The point is to block..." Yes, but the ability required to block a 250 edge rusher from getting to a QB is not the same as the skills required to block a 300 pound NT in the run game. it's not nearly as simplistic as your argument suggests. If the positions and skill sets were identical, there would be no position designation differentiating the positions. It would just be Right Outside Tackle, Riight interior Tackle, Center Tackle, Left Interior Tackle, and Left Outside Tackle. No, there are definite differences in the skill sets. And just because a player plays one position in high school, college, beer league, whatever, doesn't mean that the positions are the same or that the skills to play them at a high level are the same. 

"I am saying that when your 3 highest paid linemen are interior players, you are not properly allocating your resources [properly]..."

There are so many caveats to this argument that its simplicity cannot be overstated. What if you have a guy with a cap-friendly deal at tackle and older, still productive players in the interior? What if your best tackle is a seventh-rounder who you lucked out and found and the interior OL are pro-bowlers? There are many scenarios where you could have surprising allocations of capital. That they don't fit into your narrow OL view certainly don't make them poor choices for a team.

I think the following invalidates your argument: D'brickashaw Ferguson was an excellent LT for much of his career. But I think anyone could see that he would make a poor OG. And, while he was an above average player for much of his career, without good OG play, his talents were wasted and his performance impacted negatively.

We might have to do something novel like actually draft a RB instead of taking some teams 4th stringer

Jets are now in talks to bring back Mangold, Revis, Clady, Folk, Fitz and Geno. Might sign a FB and then head to the draft.. Things looking bright!

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

The cupcakes must have tasted like sh!t. 

Lol.  Who would have thought that as part of the rebuilding process,  WE ALSO NEED to upgrade our cupcake department?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Jets are now in talks to bring back Mangold, Revis, Clady, Folk, Fitz and Geno. Might sign a FB and then head to the draft.. Things looking bright!

Link?

• Upvote 1

Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)

3/15/17, 4:07 PM

Travaris Cadet staying with Saints after considering Jets, Bills, according to a source

45 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Lol.  Who would have thought that as part of the rebuilding process,  WE ALSO NEED to upgrade our cupcake department?

As my work friend said, when looking at the cupcakes my wife made, "I'd a been trying to make the WHOLE cake..."

9 hours ago, Pcola said:

I think an argument can be made that the Browns roster is better if not right now, after the the draft.  Without a doubt. 

Well I think your right actually.

This is what they said about the Browns:-

Here is a simple, highly convoluted explanation for what the Browns pulled off in the Brock Osweiler trade. Your neighborhood used-car dealer, Possum Kingdom Pontiac, wants to sell you a beater for 3K because they have 3K in it already. You know they can't get rid of it, because the car has an AM/FM cassette, a cracked engine block and sucks. So you get a loan from the bank to pay for it, but you tell the dealer you want $1,500 cash back that they can put on next year's accounting books for you taking the car off their hands right now. You take the beater car home, sell it to someone for what it's really worth -- about 2K -- add it to your $1,500 cash, then invest the $500 profit. Here's even more genius that nobody's talking about: Much like investors shorting a stock, betting that a company's value will plummet, perhaps Cleveland management is banking on a hypothetical in which the Texans lose out on Tony Romo, Tom Savage gets hurt (again) and Houston goes 6-10. Consequently, that 2018 second-round pick the Browns received significantly jumps in value. The Browns could use it or deal it for even more picks. Sorry for all this ... I watched "The Big Short" last night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792983/article/nfl-power-rankings-free-agency-pushing-giants-toward-no-1

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well I think your right actually.

This is what they said about the Browns:-

Here is a simple, highly convoluted explanation for what the Browns pulled off in the Brock Osweiler trade. Your neighborhood used-car dealer, Possum Kingdom Pontiac, wants to sell you a beater for 3K because they have 3K in it already. You know they can't get rid of it, because the car has an AM/FM cassette, a cracked engine block and sucks. So you get a loan from the bank to pay for it, but you tell the dealer you want $1,500 cash back that they can put on next year's accounting books for you taking the car off their hands right now. You take the beater car home, sell it to someone for what it's really worth -- about 2K -- add it to your $1,500 cash, then invest the $500 profit. Here's even more genius that nobody's talking about: Much like investors shorting a stock, betting that a company's value will plummet, perhaps Cleveland management is banking on a hypothetical in which the Texans lose out on Tony Romo, Tom Savage gets hurt (again) and Houston goes 6-10. Consequently, that 2018 second-round pick the Browns received significantly jumps in value. The Browns could use it or deal it for even more picks. Sorry for all this ... I watched "The Big Short" last night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792983/article/nfl-power-rankings-free-agency-pushing-giants-toward-no-1

Great movie, good analogy.  But until they start turning all those assets into star players, those baseball guys haven't done anything but pass on Carson Wentz.  Garrett is going to be a monster but if the Jets are fortunate enough to get Darnold (maybe even Allen or Rosen) they will be better off in the long run.