NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I can't think of a single phrase that better captures this fanbase's wanton defiance of reality in re: Hackenberg than "wobbly dart."

"wanton defiance of reality"

Love the hyperbole.  Nice.  You never disappoint.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I can't think of a more typical troll response. You're reaching PatsTXFan levels. 

If you take into consideration that sadly some of our more successful QBs  of recent times were lobbers (Fitz, Sanchez, Pennington) it's GOOD TO SEE REAL VELOCITY on the throws that Hack makes. Yes, they are not all pretty spirals all the time, but they get there with ZIP to the WR. Something Jets starting QBs have usually lacked. 

So go $hit on some other parade and I'm glad I can so succinctly capture the deluded-ness of the Jets fanbase at the mere whisk of my fingers on a keyboard. 

Reaching? He's been there for a while now. He's so butt hurt that he went out on a limb for Idzik and he sh*t the bed so bad.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/3/18/14965270/ny-jets-some-options-from-the-bargain-bin

Jon Bostic, ILB. Age on opening day of the 2017 season: 26.  Jon Bostic has had the kind of star-crossed career that makes him an intriguing possibility for a bargain basement find.  He was drafted in the second round by the Chicago Bears in 2012 after starring at the University of Florida.  Bostic was one of the stars of the NFL Combine among the linebackers, with top 5 marks in the 40 yard dash, three cone shuttle and 20 yard shuttle. Bostic has excellent speed and quickness for a linebacker and is an aggressive, hard hitting player with some decent coverage and pass rushing ability.  Bostic was coming into his own in Chicago by his second year, recording 83 tackles in 679 snaps in 2013.  Then Chicago changed defensive schemes in 2015 and began their fire sale, and Bostic found himself on the outside looking in. The New England Patriots traded for Bostic in 2015, but Bostic was slowed early on by an ankle injury and never really found his niche with New England, ending up playing mostly on special teams.  The Patriots traded Bostic to the Detroit Lions in 2016, but Bostic broke his foot and spent the year on injured reserve.  Bostic is now a free agent.  He is two years removed from a pretty good performance as a partial year starter in Chicago.  Bostic has excellent athletic measurables and is a very hard hitter. At a minimum Bostic would be an immediate and substantial upgrade in terms of speed, quickness and pass coverage ability as a reserve inside linebacker, with upside to possibly reclaim a role as a starter in place of David Harris.  Bostic also has the ability and experience to play some outside linebacker in a pinch.  Bostic's major downsides are his spotty health history and a tendency to go for the kill shot, resulting in penalties. Bostic is unlikely to be very expensive after barely seeing the field the last two years.  Sign him to a three year, incentive laden contract and he could make decent money if he pans out while allowing the Jets to escape with little dead money if he doesn't. Pair him with a guy like Gerald Hodges and the two of them could possibly be brought in for less money than David Harris currently counts under the cap by himself, while substantially upgrading team speed, pass coverage ability, youth and depth at the linebacker position.

12 hours ago, Tinstar said:

As it turned out, it was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to that kid . What he did was practice against multiple defensive schemes instead of learning an offense he would never use . Since nobody messed with his footwork in Gailey's offense, the new OC can direct him in what he wants without him having to forget yet another offense .

Sometimes it better to be lucky than good.

Totally agree with you. 

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/3/18/14965270/ny-jets-some-options-from-the-bargain-bin

Jon Bostic, ILB. Age on opening day of the 2017 season: 26.  Jon Bostic has had the kind of star-crossed career that makes him an intriguing possibility for a bargain basement find.  He was drafted in the second round by the Chicago Bears in 2012 after starring at the University of Florida.  Bostic was one of the stars of the NFL Combine among the linebackers, with top 5 marks in the 40 yard dash, three cone shuttle and 20 yard shuttle. Bostic has excellent speed and quickness for a linebacker and is an aggressive, hard hitting player with some decent coverage and pass rushing ability.  Bostic was coming into his own in Chicago by his second year, recording 83 tackles in 679 snaps in 2013.  Then Chicago changed defensive schemes in 2015 and began their fire sale, and Bostic found himself on the outside looking in. The New England Patriots traded for Bostic in 2015, but Bostic was slowed early on by an ankle injury and never really found his niche with New England, ending up playing mostly on special teams.  The Patriots traded Bostic to the Detroit Lions in 2016, but Bostic broke his foot and spent the year on injured reserve.  Bostic is now a free agent.  He is two years removed from a pretty good performance as a partial year starter in Chicago.  Bostic has excellent athletic measurables and is a very hard hitter. At a minimum Bostic would be an immediate and substantial upgrade in terms of speed, quickness and pass coverage ability as a reserve inside linebacker, with upside to possibly reclaim a role as a starter in place of David Harris.  Bostic also has the ability and experience to play some outside linebacker in a pinch.  Bostic's major downsides are his spotty health history and a tendency to go for the kill shot, resulting in penalties. Bostic is unlikely to be very expensive after barely seeing the field the last two years.  Sign him to a three year, incentive laden contract and he could make decent money if he pans out while allowing the Jets to escape with little dead money if he doesn't. Pair him with a guy like Gerald Hodges and the two of them could possibly be brought in for less money than David Harris currently counts under the cap by himself, while substantially upgrading team speed, pass coverage ability, youth and depth at the linebacker position.

Is he linked to the Jets . Probably has a Chicago connection even thou they were the ones who traded him  

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Is he linked to the Jets . Probably has a Chicago connection even thou they were the ones who traded him  

Nope, no link that I know of but he sure sounds like a good on the cheap get to me.  We've gotta start thinking about how to replace Harris and if healthy this guy has that potential.   

14 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Just finished RE-watching Hacks' Giants game. He enters at the 12th minute in the 4th after Petty's 78 yard return Pick 6 to a DT. A guy entering COLD with no practice reps:

The first 2 passes hit the receiver in the hands and they dropped it. He then gets a delay of game penalty creating a 3rd and 15. He then ZINGS it down the seam low and away for TE sliding Sudfeld for 16 yards and a 1st down. Next play, Hack throws a wobbly dart down the seam AGAIN (sees the weakness in the Defense) to Charone Peake for 26 yards and a 1st down. 2/4 for 42 yards thus far. After a 1 yard run play, Hack GUNS IT to single covered Robby Anderson on an OUT ROUTE for another 26 yards. Next play a gorgeous Rainbow Fade to Robby Anderson for a TD!

2nd Drive: Jets Punt return it to the Giants 14 yard Line. Hack in the RED ZONE.

Hack guns it to Robby Anderson who's 1 yard in the end zone b/t the hashes but the SS in zone coverage gets a hand up to tip the pass and incomplete. Next to plays are runs for 3 yards and a loss of one. Bowles decides for the FG. 

I saw it live and have watched it OVER AND OVER enough on GamePass to understand WHY Mac took Hack in the 2nd. Yes, the rest of the game he showed he is STILL RAW (as did the Eagles game), but there are traits Hack has that can't be coached and I'd rather have a GM that's willing to swing for a high ceiling franchise QB in the 2nd if his scouting acumen leads him in that direction. 

I'm not diagreeing with you but a QB with these type of skills and rawness are 6th rounders, at best.  Drafting Hack at 51 was a complete disservice to not only your scouting dept but to Hack.

Yes Hack got paid but by being drafted so high, there are unrealistic expectations.  And by year three his salary is gonna require him to be much further along then he probably will be.

Add the fact that so many rookie QBs started so many games last year and compare that to the fact that the team didn't want him anywhere near the field.

Week 17 against Buffalo would have been a perfect opportunity to get him some reps. They were essentially forfeiting by playing their young, raw QBs, why the hell didn't we?

26 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm not diagreeing with you but a QB with these type of skills and rawness are 6th rounders, at best.  Drafting Hack at 51 was a complete disservice to not only your scouting dept but to Hack.

Yes Hack got paid but by being drafted so high, there are unrealistic expectations.  And by year three his salary is gonna require him to be much further along then he probably will be.

Add the fact that so many rookie QBs started so many games last year and compare that to the fact that the team didn't want him anywhere near the field.

Week 17 against Buffalo would have been a perfect opportunity to get him some reps. They were essentially forfeiting by playing their young, raw QBs, why the hell didn't we?

I agree completely with this.  One could argue that a QB should not be drafted higher than the 5th round unless they could step in and play (hand off, complete a simple pass) at least at game 9.    A QB that needs to work on their mechanics is ps material.  They should change the rules to allow teams to put a QB on the ps who cannot be stolen (or a 54th developmental QB).

How many teams last year warehoused a qb on the 53?  The fact that Gailey checked out was not helpful either.

Morton will be more WCO.  Needs a accurate QB who can move a bit.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I agree completely with this.  One could argue that a QB should not be drafted higher than the 5th round unless they could step in and play (hand off, complete a simple pass) at least at game 9.    A QB that needs to work on their mechanics is ps material.  They should change the rules to allow teams to put a QB on the ps who cannot be stolen (or a 54th developmental QB).

How many teams last year warehoused a qb on the 53?  The fact that Gailey checked out was not helpful either.

Ordinarily this would be true, because most of these kid also have no clue about the mental aspect of the game .  Hackenberg gets the mental part of the game , so he was worth the pick .  He's a smart kid who's clumsy around girls . He'll get it .

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think either Petty or Hack is a good fit in the WCO.  What would make this problem exponentially worse is drafting a QB at 6 to fit with the WCO. 

This season has already been determined for the Jets and throwing Trubisky or Watson into this won't change our 2017 projectory but it will likely stunt any kind of development and perhaps ruin them.

Ues our first two picks on best available and then use the rest of the draft to solidify our OL and find a RB.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I don't think either Petty or Hack is a good fit in the WCO.  What would make this problem exponentially worse is drafting a QB at 6 to fit with the WCO. 

This season has already been determined for the Jets and throwing Trubisky or Watson into this won't change our 2017 projectory but it will likely stunt any kind of development and perhaps ruin them.

Ues our first two picks on best available and then use the rest of the draft to solidify our OL and find a RB.

This may be the case, but didn't Morton say recently that he wasn't married to any particular offense, but was going to try to tailor it to the talent of the team? Point is, maybe the WCO isn't set in stone.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

This may be the case, but didn't Morton say recently that he wasn't married to any particular offense, but was going to try to tailor it to the talent of the team? Point is, maybe the WCO isn't set in stone.

Probably so.  But I can't imagine redesigning the offense to fit QBs that as of right now probably don't have a long shelf life as starters.  This year is going to be a rough year to watch offensively.

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

He did..So all this chatter about WCO that Cimini started is purely speculation..

New Jets offensive coordinator John Morton is not committed to running a specific system. Instead, he’ll build a playbook best suited to exploit his players’ strengths.

“John has a great offensive mind. He can work with any type of person,” head coach Todd Bowles told reporters in Indianapolis. “He is very good at incorporating the players and understanding what they are good at and what they are not good at. He is a lot like Chan [Gailey] in that way, but he’s younger.

“He isn’t a system guy – West Coast or anything else. He can kind of fit guys into what they do best. He’ll have a scheme that he puts in but he can adapt to things really quickly. His understanding of relating to players and getting across to players what he wants is what really put him over the top for me.”

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden told Jets Insider Eric Allen that Morton “took advantage of some great people” throughout his coaching career, a list that list includes Gruden (Raiders 1998-1999), Jim Harbaugh (49ers 2011-2014) and most recently, Sean Payton (Saints 2006, 2015-2016). It’ll be interesting to see if Morton’s offense will draw any comparisons to the systems of the people he coached under. 

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/OC-Morton-Not-Married-to-Any-Particular-System/fc7532c3-0159-4e60-90ab-1cdfa67e6309

I don't see the Jets passing on Trubisky if he is there.   I don't know whether they trade up for him (SF will look for a team to do that), but I don't see them passing on him.  We will know more during the next month.

If Trubisky is there, that means another elite athlete is not.  Trubisky could be the BPA (QB adjusted).  They could always trade he or Hack.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I don't see the Jets passing on Trubisky if he is there.   I don't know whether they trade up for him (SF will look for a team to do that), but I don't see them passing on him.  We will know more during the next month.

If Trubisky is there, that means another elite athlete is not.  Trubisky could be the BPA (QB adjusted).  They could always trade he or Hack.

I don't see the Jets drafting a QB, but if they do It should be Deshaun Watson.

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Pissed about this, wasted time on cup cakes for a broken down linebacker. Minter should have be 1A. So glad the Hightower deal fell through.

By any chance do you think a person that coached a player and showed no interest in him might mean something ?  That broken down linebacker that we wasted time on got signed to a contract by someone who's supposedly considered 1 of the best coaches in the history of the league  who also coached him . Do you think that might have had something to do with it ?

Archived