NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The 2017 will not be a playoff team and SR will not be on the team in 2018.

On that basis, I support moves that maximize the value of the SR relationship.

To me, that is not paying him in 2017, getting a reasonable draft pick in the 2017 draft and having him not win the team any games, and perhaps developing other DL for the future.  The Jets should win games with who they are long term, not a 1 year rental.

The alternative is using 2017 cap for him, getting a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2019 (maybe), haviing the coaches struggle to use him and having him take snaps from other players.

On that basis I would move McClendon while we are at it.

They recently signed Pennel, reason for me to believe McClendon is a goner. 

Agree to disagree on SR. 

He is a valuable member of this team if used correctly. 

Bowles the defensive genius and Rodgers need to figure that out. 

Im not sold on any draft pick until they prove NFL worth and here thats not too often the reason for the situation we are in today. 

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I would trade Richardson for a used bag of Air plane peanuts  and not because I hate the guy, but because that is what his actions has deem him worthy of .  The guy is a talented repeat offender who lied to his bosses and only came clean when evidence left him with no choice .

He did this to himself and to the team .

Hmmm...you mean eat them, sh*t them out, put them back in the bag, and give it back to the stewardess for her to offer as used?

• Thumb Down 2

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I would trade Richardson for a used bag of Air plane peanuts  and not because I hate the guy, but because that is what his actions has deem him worthy of .  The guy is a talented repeat offender who lied to his bosses and only came clean when evidence left him with no choice .

He did this to himself and to the team .

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Hmmm...you mean eat them, sh*t them out, put them back in the bag, and give it back to the stewardess for her to offer as used?

Do you guys watch much football?  

Last season most times SR was the only guy on defense trying and making plays. 

Bengals release veteran LB Rey Maualuga

The Cincinnati Bengals have released veteran linebacker Rey Maualuga, the team announced Saturday.

Maualuga was entering the last season of his contract and was due $3.6 million in salary and bonuses.

He has been with the Bengals since they selected him in the second round of the 2009 draft and has been a longtime starter at middle linebacker. However, Maualuga's playtime dropped considerably in 2016, and the Bengals added linebacker Kevin Minter in free agency, indicating they might be looking for an upgrade at that position.

"Rey has been a tough and productive player for us, and a fine teammate, and this is a difficult decision," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. "It's one of several we have made to transition to a younger group at linebacker as we continue to shape our 2017 roster."

Second-year linebacker Nick Vigil also is expected to get an expanded role next season in a defense that slipped in 2016, finishing 17th in yards allowed.

Maualuga played in 114 games with 104 starts in his eight seasons with the Bengals.

Bengals released MLB Rey Maualuga.

The writing was on the wall after the Bengals signed Kevin Minter. Maualuga was a seven-year starter in Cincy, but injuries and ineffectiveness reduced him to a part-time role (326 snaps) in 2016. His release saves $3.75 million against the cap. Entering his age-30 season, Maualuga should resurface closer to the veteran minimum.
Related: Bengals

Mar 25 - 3:14 PM
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bengals release veteran LB Rey Maualuga

The Cincinnati Bengals have released veteran linebacker Rey Maualuga, the team announced Saturday.

Maualuga was entering the last season of his contract and was due $3.6 million in salary and bonuses.

He has been with the Bengals since they selected him in the second round of the 2009 draft and has been a longtime starter at middle linebacker. However, Maualuga's playtime dropped considerably in 2016, and the Bengals added linebacker Kevin Minter in free agency, indicating they might be looking for an upgrade at that position.

"Rey has been a tough and productive player for us, and a fine teammate, and this is a difficult decision," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. "It's one of several we have made to transition to a younger group at linebacker as we continue to shape our 2017 roster."

Second-year linebacker Nick Vigil also is expected to get an expanded role next season in a defense that slipped in 2016, finishing 17th in yards allowed.

Maualuga played in 114 games with 104 starts in his eight seasons with the Bengals.

SIGN THIS BEAST 

Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon is just 25 years old. There’s more than enough time for him to turn his career around, and get back on the All-Pro path he was on before drug suspensions got him off track.

The problem is that the NFL has to let him back in. Gordon, the NFL’s leading receiver in 2013 who has played just five games since then due to suspensions, started the process of getting reinstated earlier this month and is awaiting word from the NFL, according to ESPN. Perhaps in an effort to fix his image a bit, sources told ESPN that Gordon has made some changes.

ESPN reported that Gordon is working out with trainer Tim Montgomery in Florida. Montgomery once held the world record in the 100-meter dash, but was stripped of that after being involved in the BALCO performance-enhancing drugs scandal. He was also convicted in a check fraud scheme and for dealing heroin and sentenced to five years in prison in 2008, but now works with athletes to “avoid social and professional pitfalls in the face of substance abuse and peer pressure,” according to the NUMA Speed website.

Gordon also has a new agent, Joby Branion. As ESPN points out, Branion also represents Denver Broncos outside linebacker outside linebacker Von Miller, who has bounced back from some off-field issues.

Gordon is a unique case. It seems odd, but he’s the youngest player in the NFL with a receiving yardage title. He’s two years younger than T.Y. Hilton, who led the NFL in receiving yards last season. But he has played just 35 career games, has had a drug suspension each of the last four seasons, and hasn’t played at all for two years. He also had drug violations in college.

The Browns don’t seem to be depending on Gordon in the slightest, nor should they be. But it would be an incredible boon if they suddenly had Gordon back, if his mind is right and his skills haven’t eroded. He did, after all, have a 1,646-yard season in 14 games with Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden and Brian Hoyer as his quarterbacks. He can play.

There’s a long way to go before he can get his career back on track, if he’s allowed. Maybe some recent changes in his support group will help.

46d6f1af0a9d9871d638b84cbe39681f

Josh Gordon is hoping to get reinstated by the NFL. 

On 3/25/2017 at 1:59 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bad move considering our draft history we have a proven NFL star vs a what if draft pick. 

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

On 3/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, varjet said:

Yes!

• All he does in 2017 is potentially win us a game or two, but we are not making the playoffs.
  • He is not, and should not, be on the team in 2018 and beyond.
  • His salary can be applied to the cap in 2017 and beyond-can extend Enunwa with it, for example.
  • At best he gets us a "3rd round" (very late) pick in 2018.  Could be lower if he does not sign for a great contract, or we sign other FAs.
  • In this draft our old 4th round pick is pretty good.  The Redskins 3rd round pick is a home run

Actually, it would be a comp pick in 2019, after he signs as a FA in 2018.  A 4th round pick this year is the equivalent of a 2 in 2019.

Bottom line, keeping Sheldon this season does nothing to help this team win a Super Bowl.  In fact, by costing us 8M in cap room, he hurts our chances of doing that in future years.  He needs to go - period.

• Upvote 1

Vlad DuCasse,Stephen Hill,Vernon Gholston,Dee Milliner,Quinton Coples,Kyle Wilson all say hello. 

The sad thing is, you don't grasp that getting a draft pick who ends up exactly like those guys would still be better for the jets' future chances of winning a super bowl than keeping Sheldon this year

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

The sad thing is, you don't grasp that getting a draft pick who ends up exactly like those guys would still be better for the jets' future chances of winning a super bowl than keeping Sheldon this year

The sadder thing is you don't recognize talent when you see it. 

A lot can happen between now and next year regarding Sheldon Richardson. 

A new GM and head coach could want Sheldon Richardson here and find a productive way to use him unlike our morons who seem to not have a clue. 

• Thumb Down 1

A new GM and head coach could want Sheldon Richardson here and find a productive way to use him unlike our morons who seem to not have a clue. 

Wait, but you're not in charge of his usage ...

seriously, though - his usage doesn't matter. neither does his immense talent. he, Williams & Wilkerson share a position that only allows 2 of them on the field for any one play - which makes allocating the cap and cash needed to keep all three of them long term completely idiotic. Mo got his long term deal and Williams is the best of the three, so Sheldon is the odd one out. there is literally nothing he could do this year that would be better for the Jets' long term chances of winning a super bowl than having the 8M in 2017 cap available to roll forward for use in a future season. seriously, if you're going to deny that, then post the specifics of what it is that he could do for those long term chances "if he were used correctly"

and if you can't do that (and you can't), then would you please, just for once, shut the **** up?

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Wait, but you're not in charge of his usage ...

seriously, though - his usage doesn't matter. neither does his immense talent. he, Williams & Wilkerson share a position that only allows 2 of them on the field for any one play - which makes allocating the cap and cash needed to keep all three of them long term completely idiotic. Mo got his long term deal and Williams is the best of the three, so Sheldon is the odd one out. there is literally nothing he could do this year that would be better for the Jets' long term chances of winning a super bowl than having the 8M in 2017 cap available to roll forward for use in a future season. seriously, if you're going to deny that, then post the specifics of what it is that he could do for those long term chances "if he were used correctly"

and if you can't do that (and you can't), then would you please, just for once, shut the **** up?

Isn't Todd Bowles supposed to be a defensive genius?  What about if we were to go to a 4-3 or even 5 down line man Sheldon Richardson could even play ILB if needed imagine the possibilities if you understood the game of football, especially the defensive side of the ball. A "what if" draft pick for SR does this team not one damn bit of good considering how we draft. Sheldon Richardson was a 1st round pick in 2013 you can't keep disposing of your 1st round picks like the Jets do, ever wonder why this team isn't very good. Sheldon Richardson is a superstar in the NFL whether you like him or not your opinion of him means nothing. Used correctly SR benefits this team immensely. Unless you can trade him for a #1 you don't. 

Now why don't you SHUT THE H-E-L-L UP. 

38 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

LOL none of those guys I mentioned could ever help this team win a Super Bowl. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Isn't Todd Bowles supposed to be a defensive genius?  What about if we were to go to a 4-3 or even 5 down line man Sheldon Richardson could even play ILB if needed imagine the possibilities if you understood the game of football, especially the defensive side of the ball. A "what if" draft pick for SR does this team not one damn bit of good considering how we draft. Sheldon Richardson was a 1st round pick in 2013 you can't keep disposing of your 1st round picks like the Jets do, ever wonder why this team isn't very good. Sheldon Richardson is a superstar in the NFL whether you like him or not your opinion of him means nothing. Used correctly SR benefits this team immensely. Unless you can trade him for a #1 you don't. 

please just take your own advice.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whether the Jets coaches are morons or not (they are) Sheldon is a disruption and an Idiot ...Is his talent enough to offset that ?? If he was JJ Watt sure... but hes not JJ Watt, in fact, hes not  even a pro bowl player consistently and hes not even the best player on our D line. He is expendable as was Mo Wilk last year . The blunders this team has made all while trying to run a 3-4 scheme are ridiculous. We should have been drafting LB's all along in the early rounds and drafting occupiers in the later rounds for the D line ..the one Gem we did Draft In Harrison was the guy we needed to keep to anchor our defense not Mo Wilk and I said that from day 1 and I'm saying it now with Richardson

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

you just called Sheldon Richardson a superstar ? Seriously do you watch any other teams play or do you just watch the Jets ?

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

..the one Gem we did Draft In Harrison was the guy we needed to keep to anchor our defense not Mo Wilk and I said that from day 1 and I'm saying it now with Richardson

WRONG.

Harrison wasn't DRAFTED. He was an UDFA and signing a NG to a BIG $$$ Contract is about as stupid as the majority of the posters on this board. It would have been ABSOLUTELY stupid to have re-signed Harrison to a Big Contract since NGs are EASILY found in the 5th+ Rounds or as UDFA and for DIRT CHEAP and so much $ has ALREADY been INVESTED in the DLine. 

Simon and McClendon were sufficient at a fraction of the cost.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Telling one of the most intelligent guys we have to shut up, makes you look kinda silly.  Just FYI Gramps.

Now thaaaaaaaaaaaaat's a bit of a stretch if I've heard one around these parts. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

WRONG.

Harrison wasn't DRAFTED. He was an UDFA and signing a NG is BIG $$$ Contract is about as stupid as the majority of the posters on this board. It would have been ABSOLUTELY stupid to have re-signed Harrison to a Big Contract since NGs are EASILY found in the 5th+ Rounds or as UDFA and for DIRT CHEAP and so much $ has ALREADY been INVESTED in the DLine. 

Yeah I know he was an UDFA.... either way we signed him.... even better we found such a good player at that stage.

Dumb argument I wont waste my time with if you think he got such a incredible contract with the Giants after the money we wasted on Wilk. The guy is durable and probably the best Nose tackle in the NFL good luck finding another one of those, one of the most important positions in a 3-4. I could see why you would think it a bad Idea to keep him when we should have dumped both Richardson and Wilk / You don't have to type particular words in caps some people are capable of reading and understanding what you are saying.... so no it does not convince me otherwise.

Also the only big money invested in the D - line was to Wilk the other guys are still on their rookie contracts 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah I know he was an UDFA.... either way we signed him.... even better we found such a good player at that stage.

Dumb argument I wont waste my time with if you think he got such a incredible contract with the Giants after the money we wasted on Wilk. The guy is durable and probably the best Nose tackle in the NFL good luck finding another one of those, one of the most important positions in a 3-4. I could see why you would think it a bad Idea to keep him when we should have dumped both Richardson and Wilk / You don't have to type particular words in caps some people are capable of reading and understanding what you are saying.... so no it does not convince me otherwise.

Also the only big money invested in the D - line was to Wilk the other guys are still on their rookie contracts 

Horrendous counter-argument. debating on this forum with most here is a waste of time, but that's why we're all here so I'll indulge . . . . 

Ernie Logan - 9th rounder in '91. Off the scrap heap and Jets starting NG for FOUR YEARS

Jason Ferguson - 7th rounder in '97

Kris Jenkins - cost us a 3rd  & 5th round pick in '08

Sione Pouha - 3rd rounder

Damon Harrison - UDFA

Nose Guards ARE NOT HARD to FIND. Just provided an example demonstrating as such. Wilk's contract is expendable after '18, so those who b!tch about not having wanted to re-sign one of our better players is crazy.  ANY TEAM in the league would SNATCH him UP in a second.  I'm skeptical of "jets fans" who are upset with the Mo contract when it has SUCH AN EASY OUT. 

SO WITH MY BIG LETTERS, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your sentiment and really question the football management wherewithal of those fans who rallied to re-sign a NG and dump a Premiere  (whether Jets fans admit it or not, the NFL does) 300+ lbs. defensive end who is STILL getting back to form from a 2016 BROKEN LEG. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Horrendous counter-argument. debating on this forum with most here is a waste of time, but that's why we're all here so I'll indulge . . . . 

Ernie Logan - 9th rounder in '91. Off the scrap heap and Jets starting NG for FOUR YEARS

Damon Harrison - UDFA

Nose Guards ARE NOT HARD to FIND. Just provided an example demonstrating as such. Wilk's contract is expendable after '18 so those who b!tch about not having wanted to re-sign one of our better players can cut loose a player ANY TEAM in the league would SNATCH UP in a second.  I'm skeptical of "jets fans" who are upset with the Mo contract when it has SUCH AN EASY OUT. 

SO WITH MY BIG LETTERS, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your sentiment and really question the football management wherewithal of those fans who rallied to re-sign a NG and dump a Premiere  (whether Jets fans admit it or not, the NFL does) 300+ lbs. defensive end who is STILL getting back to for from a 2016 BROKEN LEG. 

They are not generally EXPENSIVE to find.  That doesn't make it easy.  They have to be developed.  Pouha sucked his first couple of years.  Harrison and Simon were on practice squads sitting and free to be snatched up by anyone.  Other investments in the position didn't pan out.  The 3rd for Kenrick Ellis?  Before they got Jenkins, who had a huge contract they tried to trade for Shaun Rogers who also had a huge contract at the time.  They paid AND gave up picks.  Those contracts seem like peanuts now, but those guys were getting moved for salary, just like we would be moving Mo/Richardson.

I do agree that Mo is worth considerably more than Harrison, but with Williams and Richardson, Harrison was going to be considerably cheaper and was not going to duplicate what the other players were giving.  Paying Mo, had better mean that they like Mo more than Richardson because paying them all is silly.  It's been silly.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Damon Harrison - UDFA

Nose Guards ARE NOT HARD to FIND. Just provided an example demonstrating as such. Wilk's contract is expendable after '18, so those who b!tch about not having wanted to re-sign one of our better players is crazy.  ANY TEAM in the league would SNATCH him UP in a second.  I'm skeptical of "jets fans" who are upset with the Mo contract when it has SUCH AN EASY OUT. 

SO WITH MY BIG LETTERS, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your sentiment and really question the football management wherewithal of those fans who rallied to re-sign a NG and dump a Premiere  (whether Jets fans admit it or not, the NFL does) 300+ lbs. defensive end who is STILL getting back to form from a 2016 BROKEN LEG. 

I hope Mo gets back, but he was a very expensive run stuffer last season. Snacks was better value for his money in 2016.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are not generally EXPENSIVE to find.  That doesn't make it easy.  They have to be developed.  Pouha sucked his first couple of years.  Harrison and Simon were on practice squads sitting and free to be snatched up by anyone.  Other investments in the position didn't pan out.  The 3rd for Kenrick Ellis?  Before they got Jenkins, who had a huge contract they tried to trade for Shaun Rogers who also had a huge contract at the time.  They paid AND gave up picks.  Those contracts seem like peanuts now, but those guys were getting moved for salary, just like we would be moving Mo/Richardson.

I do agree that Mo is worth considerably more than Harrison, but with Williams and Richardson, Harrison was going to be considerably cheaper and was not going to duplicate what the other players were giving.  Paying Mo, had better mean that they like Mo more than Richardson because paying them all is silly.  It's been silly.

Pouha was GARBAGE until Mangini made him nearly All-Pro as a NG. I agree with you that they are NOT hard to find and are GROOMED. but you make my point which I put in bold. They are NOT WORTH the contract $$$$ as 2-Down players and those teams MOVED those players b/c they REALIZED the NG position was not worth that salary.

PS - also factoring the ABUSE they take, RARELY do these guys validate the contract. Jenkins lasted us 1 1/2 years of ACTUAL playing time? Other than Wilfork and Sam Adams, the BIG BIG fatties can be economically replaced. DEs . . . . not so much and last longer than the NGs who get PUMMELED taking on 2 blockers EVERY play. 

17 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I hope Mo gets back, but he was a very expensive run stuffer last season. Snacks was better value for his money in 2016.

Amen. I feel this season is crucial for Mo's future with this regime in terms of whether he's worth the Premiere DE price-tag or can be traded away/cut when William's 5th year option salary kicks in and Jets HAVE THE ABILITY to move-on. 

• Upvote 1