NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Horrendous counter-argument. debating on this forum with most here is a waste of time, but that's why we're all here so I'll indulge . . . . 

Ernie Logan - 9th rounder in '91. Off the scrap heap and Jets starting NG for FOUR YEARS

Jason Ferguson - 7th rounder in '97

Kris Jenkins - cost us a 3rd  & 5th round pick in '08

Sione Pouha - 3rd rounder

Damon Harrison - UDFA

Nose Guards ARE NOT HARD to FIND. Just provided an example demonstrating as such. Wilk's contract is expendable after '18, so those who b!tch about not having wanted to re-sign one of our better players is crazy.  ANY TEAM in the league would SNATCH him UP in a second.  I'm skeptical of "jets fans" who are upset with the Mo contract when it has SUCH AN EASY OUT. 

SO WITH MY BIG LETTERS, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your sentiment and really question the football management wherewithal of those fans who rallied to re-sign a NG and dump a Premiere  (whether Jets fans admit it or not, the NFL does) 300+ lbs. defensive end who is STILL getting back to form from a 2016 BROKEN LEG. 

yeah Like I said not wasting my time since you have no clue how a 3-4 defense should be structured in the front 7.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah Like I said not wasting my time since you have no clue how a 3-4 defense should be structured in the front 7.

You bothered to eventually reply, so waste some MORE of your precious time and Enlighten me Tex . . . . 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Enlighten me Tex . . . . 

I'm from Brooklyn originally not Tex so don't mistake the two.... I pointed out in my previous post how the great 3-4 defenses were built and they were ALWAYS (look at the caps) built on LB's with big fat occupiers up front. Keeping Harrison and Williams and moving Wilk and Richardson would have been the smart move also drafting LB's would have been even smarter since the DL was already the strongest position on the team.

What made our defense elite in the 09 10 seasons was a good solid LB group with Bart Scott added in when Rex came on. The pressure we were able to create on the QB due to scheme and talent was a good mix that made our secondary look that much better. Now that the LB's got old and some moved on what has this elite DL line produced in the last 3 years when it comes to pressure ? Thats right NOTHING (there go those caps again) .

Bottom line We were never going to be able to sustain the second contracts for all those lineman and they were  going to have to be moved anyway, the league knows this, so why should anyone with a brain make a trade for Sheldon Richardson when they could probably get him as a FA when the Jets can't move him partially due to his sh*t head attitude.

As I stated last year before Harrison became a FA he was the right guy to keep not Wilk and just look at fat ass Wilk now with his big fat salary guess I was right.

41 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm from Brooklyn originally not Tex so don't mistake the two....

Me TOO!!!!! Well, born in Kings County Hospital and raised in The Bronx from the age of 2. Still . . . . . when in Rhome  . . . . .

I pointed out in my previous post how the great 3-4 defenses were built and they were ALWAYS (look at the caps) built on LB's with big fat occupiers up front.

Couldn't agree with you more Tex. I concur with your premise that Fattys are necessary to free up the LBs in an effective 3-4, but the GREAT 3-4 defense YOU cite is NOT, from what I observe from his days in ARZ, the TYPE of 3-4 defense that Bowles wants to run. He prefers a MORE ATTACKING DLine and didn't prioritize "occupiers" to free up the plodding thumping LBs of the Parcels mold; which is WHY Harrison was more expendable and a DT like McClendon was brought in for better DLine penetration. You notice we have "Tiny LBs" because Bowles wants a SPEED-bsaed defense and DTs like Harrison didn't provide that . . . AND the NG is easily replaceable. I REALLY thought Bowles was smart enough to make the D fit his talent and would convert to a 4-3 defense. But then again, you also thought he would SWITCH AWAY from Man coverage and go to zone. He didn't.

Now that the LB's got old and some moved on what has this elite DL line produced in the last 3 years when it comes to pressure ? Thats right NOTHING (there go those caps again) .

The pressure for Bowles' defense is predicated on DLine and OLB causing penetration and THAT pressure flushes the ball to the outside where the Speedy LBs bottle up the play. Greybeards Karlos Dansby (33 yo) and Larry Foote (34 yo) EXCELLED despite being OLD LBs in the system under Bowles in ARZ. I agree that the DLine has underachieved, but that's b/c IMO the talent is a BAD FIT for a 3-4 defense and should be a DT dependent 4-3 scheme.

As I stated last year before Harrison became a FA he was the right guy to keep not Wilk and just look at fat ass Wilk now with his big fat salary 

Disagree. Matter of opinion and I predict that Mo WILL REBOUND after fully regaining his bearings from the broken leg and will prove all the naysayers wrong that were so quick to dump on him. He has incentive to KEEP his current contract valid and NOT get it cut short by releasing him after 2018. 

guess I was right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:lol:

Thanks for the 'spla-nation and that good laugh to end the knowledge you have so graciously blessed upon me. Not sure if I'm all the better for it. 

Yeah . . . . . . . so we disagree. It's all good.

Different means to what seems a TRULY UNATTAINABLE END of a Jets Super Bowl Victory. 

truth is, I'm agnostic about where we generate pressure from. I do think the fact that the FO was very high on Simon contributed to the willingness to let Harrison walk and prioritize Mo. But we overpaid for Mo and that will hurt us in the long run - he's just not enough of a game-wrecker to command that type of deal

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Me TOO!!!!! Well, born in Kings County Hospital and raised in The Bronx from the age of 2. Still . . . . . when in Rhome  . . . . .

Couldn't agree with you more Tex. I concur with your premise that Fattys are necessary to free up the LBs in an effective 3-4, but the GREAT 3-4 defense YOU cite is NOT, from what I observe from his days in ARZ, the TYPE of 3-4 defense that Bowles wants to run. He prefers a MORE ATTACKING DLine and didn't prioritize "occupiers" to free up the plodding thumping LBs of the Parcels mold; which is WHY Harrison was more expendable and a DT like McClendon was brought in for better DLine penetration. You notice we have "Tiny LBs" because Bowles wants a SPEED-bsaed defense and DTs like Harrison didn't provide that . . . AND the NG is easily replaceable. I REALLY thought Bowles was smart enough to make the D fit his talent and would convert to a 4-3 defense. But then again, you also thought he would SWITCH AWAY from Man coverage and go to zone. He didn't.

The pressure for Bowles' defense is predicated on DLine and OLB causing penetration and THAT pressure flushes the ball to the outside where the Speedy LBs bottle up the play. Greybeards Karlos Dansby (33 yo) and Larry Foote (34 yo) EXCELLED despite being OLD LBs in the system under Bowles in ARZ. I agree that the DLine has underachieved, but that's b/c IMO the talent is a BAD FIT for a 3-4 defense and should be a DT dependent 4-3 scheme.

Disagree. Matter of opinion and I predict that Mo WILL REBOUND after fully regaining his bearings from the broken leg and will prove all the naysayers wrong that were so quick to dump on him. He has incentive to KEEP his current contract valid and NOT get it cut short by releasing him after 2018. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:lol:

Thanks for the 'spla-nation and that good laugh to end the knowledge you have so graciously blessed upon me. Not sure if I'm all the better for it. 

Yeah . . . . . . . so we disagree. It's all good.

Different means to what seems a TRULY UNATTAINABLE END of a Jets Super Bowl Victory. 

what this may come down to.... is Bowles a capable coach ? Remember he had some really good talent at LB and in the secondary in Arizona maybe his fast young backers wont make it happen. Fast small backers is known to work well in the 4-3 the 3-4 not so much

FWIW I called for a 4-3 defense when Rex was here I also called for it when we drafted Williams and while we saw some 4 man fronts they still did not generate the pass rush we all thought they were capable of. 

I dont think we disagree as much as you think it comes down to talent and right now we very well could be talking about over rated talent

On 3/25/2017 at 2:48 PM, varjet said:

The 2017 will not be a playoff team and SR will not be on the team in 2018.

On that basis, I support moves that maximize the value of the SR relationship.

To me, that is not paying him in 2017, getting a reasonable draft pick in the 2017 draft and having him not win the team any games, and perhaps developing other DL for the future.  The Jets should win games with who they are long term, not a 1 year rental.

The alternative is using 2017 cap for him, getting a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2019 (maybe), haviing the coaches struggle to use him and having him take snaps from other players.

On that basis I would move McClendon while we are at it.

Varjet, you're a pretty good poster, thanks.  

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Whether the Jets coaches are morons or not (they are) Sheldon is a disruption and an Idiot ...Is his talent enough to offset that ?? If he was JJ Watt sure... but hes not JJ Watt, in fact, hes not  even a pro bowl player consistently and hes not even the best player on our D line. He is expendable as was Mo Wilk last year . The blunders this team has made all while trying to run a 3-4 scheme are ridiculous. We should have been drafting LB's all along in the early rounds and drafting occupiers in the later rounds for the D line ..the one Gem we did Draft In Harrison was the guy we needed to keep to anchor our defense not Mo Wilk and I said that from day 1 and I'm saying it now with Richardson

good post

TE?

Nick Truesdell has 9 contract offers from NFL teams after veteran combine

I talked to several scouts who said Truesdell straight murdered the veteran combine. He ran a 4.47 at 6’6 and 252 pounds. The teams ran him through drills and that was more than enough.  We are learning that by the time he went to the airport, over six teams had already called his agent and began offering contracts.

He received 9 contract offers from the Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Rams, Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants and the Tennessee Titans.

We are learning that the big time target will make his decision very soon, and he is actually on a visit now with one of the teams. Expect him to make a decision very soon

http://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/breaking-news-nick-truesdell-9-contract-offers-nfl-teams-veteran-combine/

This was a 2015 1st round draft pick #28 Overall and he may be cut before the 2017 season? Ouch. News like this convinces me that Mac is NOT a garbage GM as people want to make him out to be. A LOT is riding on this draft and ESPECIALLY the #6 overall. Then again, Myles Garret may fall to #6 and people would STILL give him crap like they do with the Leonard Williams pick. :rolleyes:

The Detroit Free Press (OPINION) considers LG Laken Tomlinson's roster spot in jeopardy.

Tomlinson made double-digit starts his first two seasons, but is coming off a down 2016. With the Lions adding T.J. Lang and Graham Glasgow expected to win the starting the left guard job, he could face competition for a backup role. Tomlinson is set to make $2.3 million in the third year of his rookie deal.

Mar 29 - 7:07 PM

On 3/30/2017 at 0:21 AM, Gas2No99 said:
This was a 2015 1st round draft pick #28 Overall and he may be cut before the 2017 season? Ouch. News like this convinces me that Mac is NOT a garbage GM as people want to make him out to be. A LOT is riding on this draft and ESPECIALLY the #6 overall. Then again, Myles Garret may fall to #6 and people would STILL give him crap like they do with the Leonard Williams pick. :rolleyes:

The Detroit Free Press (OPINION) considers LG Laken Tomlinson's roster spot in jeopardy.

Tomlinson made double-digit starts his first two seasons, but is coming off a down 2016. With the Lions adding T.J. Lang and Graham Glasgow expected to win the starting the left guard job, he could face competition for a backup role. Tomlinson is set to make $2.3 million in the third year of his rookie deal.

Evidence THAT MacCAGnan didn't personally HAVE Tomlinson RANKED at #19 overall, THAT HE wouldn't HAVE taken HIM if he'd FALLEN another 9 SLOTS, NOR that he WOULDN'T have traded UP FOR him if HE'D fallen another 4 SLOTS? 

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Evidence THAT Maccagnan didn't personally HAVE Tomlinson RANKED at #19 overall, THAT HE wouldn't HAVE taken HIM if he'd FALLEN another 9 SLOTS, NOR that he WOULDN'T have traded UP FOR him if HE'D fallen another 4 SLOTS? 

He's right Gas. I don't think this has any bearing on Macc

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The New York Jets: "Hey, At Least We're Not The Lions!"

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Evidence THAT Maccagnan didn't personally HAVE Tomlinson RANKED at #19 overall, THAT HE wouldn't HAVE taken HIM if he'd FALLEN another 9 SLOTS, NOR that he WOULDN'T have traded UP FOR him if HE'D fallen another 4 SLOTS? 

I could be wrong here but I dont think that was the point.

The point I got out of it was that all GMs in league make bad picks even the Patriots as the draft is a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

The point I got out of it was that all GMs in league make bad picks even the Patriots as the draft is a crap shoot.

Then why are some teams consistently better at it than others?

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The logic of "Other teams make shot picks thus our GM is better even it he makes sh*t picks" does not make sense.  It's our gms job to make good picks.  If he doesn't he gets ripped, as he should.

49 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

If he had any evidence that Maccagnan had Tomlinson ranked as a 5th rounder, then that would serve this point. For all we know Maccagnan had him ranked even higher than he went. I'm not claiming he did or didn't, but this is not evidence that he is any better than the GM who drafted this cherry-picked bust.

Plus I thought the rule, when bad picks are brought up, was that it takes 3 years to assess any draft pick. This is only 2 years so you can't assess Tomlinson as a bust yet. Year 3 he can have a great awakening, like Winters who Maccagnan just re-upped at $7.5m/year with 2 years guaranteed.

Put another way, there is no valid point being made. No more so than suggesting San Diego's weather is crappy because you were there once when it rained for 2 days in a row. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he had any evidence that Maccagnan had Tomlinson ranked as a 5th rounder, then that would serve this point. For all we know Maccagnan had him ranked even higher than he went. I'm not claiming he did or didn't, but this is not evidence that he is any better than the GM who drafted this cherry-picked bust.

Plus I thought the rule, when bad picks are brought up, was that it takes 3 years to assess any draft pick. This is only 2 years so you can't assess Tomlinson as a bust yet. Year 3 he can have a great awakening, like Winters who Maccagnan just re-upped at $7.5m/year with 2 years guaranteed.

Put another way, there is no valid point being made. No more so than suggesting San Diego's weather is crappy because you were there once when it rained for 2 days in a row. 

3 years ? really?  I thought all of Jetnation and the world has already committed Hack to the bust heap?

Just now, SickJetFan said:

3 years ? really?  I thought all of Jetnation and the world has already committed Hack to the bust heap?

Hey, I'm just using the argument I've read here so many times when this GM is being defended.

Seems that argument is only valid for our GM(s), but not for those on other teams. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Adrian Peterson to Washington

Adrian Peterson has found a new NFL team.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the 32-year-old free agent running back has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins on a contract. He has spent his entire nine year career with the Minnesota Vikings since entering the league as a first round pick in 2007.

Peterson was league MVP in 2012.  He is the latest addition to the running back corps this offseason after losing Matt Jones to fumblitis. Peterson and Robert Kelley, along with Mack Brown, will likely fill out the depth chart at the position now.

April fools.

The problem is that everyone is getting crazy money. Crazy money is the norm. And for a team that is in a rut like the Jets, Browns and Niners, they will have to overpay

... you have to go all out on your commitment to a stable future ... trade down and accumulate picks ... trade older players for picks ... trade problem players for picks. Then draft solid players or trade picks for good YOUNG players. Your ledger of draft picks has got to be be far in the black.

expect to finish bottom 5 for 2-3 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)

4/2/17, 5:46 PM

Adrian Peterson is visiting the #Patriots tomorrow, source said (as @AdamSchefter said). Always has made sense as a possible landing spot.

It's inevitable.

53 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)

4/2/17, 5:46 PM

Adrian Peterson is visiting the #Patriots tomorrow, source said (as @AdamSchefter said). Always has made sense as a possible landing spot.

Look what Blount did for them. 

Archived