NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

#VCU hoopster/football player Mo Alie Cox is slated to visit the #Chiefs, #Bucs, #Jets, #Colts, #Seahawks, #Chargers. Others may be added.

The scout from the Tennessee Titans drew up a football play for Mo Alie-Cox. He explained what each player did and how it all came together.

A few minutes later, he handed Alie-Cox a marker and asked him to diagram the play from scratch.

Thus began his immersion into the world of professional football, a sport he hasn’t played since his freshman year of high school. Alie-Cox will attempt to make a living as an NFL tight end, and if Tuesday’s response was any indication, that dream is within his reach.

All but two NFL teams sent scouts to Richmond to see if he could make the transition, and the early returns were positive.

Three teams (the Titans, Ravens and Dolphins) met in-depth with him after the combine-style workout, and he left from the workout to the airport for a four-day, four-city tour of NFL facilities. He’ll visit the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts, and as he was headed out the door his agent’s phone was still buzzing with more requests.

Several teams sent multiple scouts, including the Redskins, whose director of pro personnel, Alex Santos, was on hand.

The next step is for Alie-Cox to pick a team. He won’t have to wait for the draft — he’s officially a free agent, as he was eligible to be chosen in last year’s draft but wasn’t.

“I just want to put myself in a situation where I have a great opportunity to learn,” he said. “I know this is going to be something new, and there will be a huge learning curve. I haven’t done it in a while.”

Hence the scouts quizzing Alie-Cox to see how quickly he could pick up an NFL play — at training camp, he’ll see plays first on a whiteboard at a morning meeting, then will be expected to run those plays at an afternoon workout.

The biggest thing Alie-Cox had to prove was the simplest: that he could catch a football. At the workout, he caught passes from former Henrico High quarterback Malcolm Bell, who raved about his receiver.

“He’s a beast — he’s big, he’s long and he has range,” said Bell. “His hands are humongous. In one drill, we had to throw the ball pretty hard to him, and he was just absorbing it.”

Alie-Cox has been training for NFL work since the basketball season ended in March, and has been working at EXOS in Pensacola, Fla., a sports-performance center that trained 16 of last year’s first-round draft picks.

Despite never having run a 40-yard dash in his basketball career, Alie-Cox put up a respectable time of 4.75 on Tuesday, a hair off his best in Pensacola.

He measured in at 6-foot-5½ inches and 262 pounds, having put on some weight (intentionally) since basketball season ended.

His vertical jump of 35.5 inches and his 3-cone drill time of 7.25 seconds would have placed him about seventh out of the tight ends at this year’s NFL combine, numbers that won’t turn heads, but will count as more than satisfactory given his lack of training.

Alie-Cox said he hopes teams will warm up to his personality in interviews, and will understand his passion for the sport he gave up when he moved to a private high school that didn’t have a football team.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/mo-alie-cox-wows-nfl-scouts-will-visit-several-teams/article_8e0b8492-ce06-555f-85df-2232443fe8c5.html

Wesley Johnson - C -  Jets

Jets re-signed C Wesley Johnson to a one-year, $2.746 million contract.

A restricted free agent, Johnson was tendered at the second-round level. With Nick Mangold gone, Johnson is the favorite to open 2017 as the Jets' starting center.

Apr 12 - 6:56 PM

On April 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I am already on record as saying that achilles injuries are not always the kiss of death people make them out to be, but you certainly have a point.  Thanks for the insight.  I thought he was an outside chance guy before I knew about his achilles, but I like his measurables more than I expected.  Did he play CB or S for Edmonton? 

Sometimes I remember things. Other times I just scream "Go, go Google!" into my phone.  This time it was google.  nfldraftscout and nfl.com both will almost always have draft profiles.  I've usually read up on the guy within the past couple of years, so it is more of a refresh.

That's about as bad as it gets for a CB.  Those guys rely on athleticism more than anyone else on the field.

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

That's about as bad as it gets for a CB.  Those guys rely on athleticism more than anyone else on the field.

Been through this a dozen times.  I probably harp on it more than Mixon vs. Meter Maid.  Hall did both, Grimes did his.  They both earned a ton of money afterwards.  Demaryius Thomas tore his before he did anything in the NFL.   It's not a good thing, but it's not the end of the world either.

Titans released CB Jason McCourty.

The move clears $7 million in cap space and leaves behind no dead money. The No. 203 overall pick of the 2009 draft, McCourty was the Titans' longest-tenured player. Per USA Today's Tom Pelissero, the sides couldn't agree on a restructured contract. McCourty was mentioned as a candidate for release as far back as January. Limited to four games by injury in 2015, McCourty's play took a dive last season. He turns 30 in August. Dots will be connected between McCourty and his brother Devin in New England, but the Pats aren't in the habit of handing out feel-good contracts.
Related: Titans

Apr 13 - 3:58 PM

"AND WITH THE 5th PICK IN THE DRAFT . . . .. Tennessee selects CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State"

21 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The move clears $7 million in cap space and leaves behind no dead money. The No. 203 overall pick of the 2009 draft, McCourty was the Titans' longest-tenured player. Per USA Today's Tom Pelissero, the sides couldn't agree on a restructured contract. McCourty was mentioned as a candidate for release as far back as January. Limited to four games by injury in 2015, McCourty's play took a dive last season. He turns 30 in August. Dots will be connected between McCourty and his brother Devin in New England, but the Pats aren't in the habit of handing out feel-good contracts.

"AND WITH THE 5th PICK IN THE DRAFT . . . .. Tennessee selects CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State"

Wishful thinking. More than likely the Titans will look to capitalize on the deep class. Top of the second round seems like a good spot, if I were them. 

3 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Wishful thinking. More than likely the Titans will look to capitalize on the deep class. Top of the second round seems like a good spot, if I were them. 

NO! SHHHHHHHHH!!  That's OUR plan . . . :D

Myles Garrett - DL -  Player
Presumptive No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett will not attend the draft in person.

Garrett is opting for a party at his church. Among the players who will be in Philadelphia are quarterbacks Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and DeShone Kizer. A complete list of players attending can be found at the link below.

Apr 13 - 6:25 PM

Is Garrett getting a sense Browns MAY deviate from the script? It happened to Leonard as two QBs usurped him and he fell. Anyone think that can POSSIBLY happen to Garrett?

59 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

And with the 6th pick in the draft.........The New York Jets select, Mike Williams, WR, Clemson.  And as Mike Williams walks up on stage, the video screen shows him torching Lattimore, Hooker and the rest of the OSU secondary in the national semi final game.

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

And with the 6th pick in the draft.........The New York Jets select, Mike Williams, WR, Clemson.  And as Mike Williams walks up on stage, the video screen shows him torching Lattimore, Hooker and the rest of the OSU secondary in the national semi final game.

That'll show 'em

Lombardi' son is now Jets Asst QB Coach

Michael Lombardi (@mlombardiNFL)

4/17/17, 10:19 AM

Jets this offseason was a purge of their older players--released or not resigned 9 of 13 players who were 30+ years only 2 have new jobs

The Jets only remaining 30+ year old players - Harris, Forte, McLendon & Purdum -

24 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets this offseason was a purge of their older players--released or not resigned 9 of 13 players who were 30+ years only 2 have new jobs

The Jets only remaining 30+ year old players - Harris, Forte, McLendon & Purdum -

I believe that if Woody is as smart as I think he is, he will allow this front office and coaching staff  the opportunity to grow together . I think Mccagnan has assembled a quality front office and Todd Bowles ahs assembles what has the makings of a quality coaching staff that could spawn a new coaching tree if it materialize . Some of these people are some of the most respected people in the NFL .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I believe that if Woody is as smart as I think he is, he will allow this front office and coaching staff  the opportunity to grow together . I think Mccagnan has assembled a quality front office and Todd Bowles ahs assembles what has the makings of a quality coaching staff that could spawn a new coaching tree if it materialize . Some of these people are some of the most respected people in the NFL .

The bolded part makes the rest difficult....

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

The bolded part makes the rest difficult....

You might not like how the man runs his Football team or even how he carries himself, but saying he's not a smart man, Well I think i'll leave the rest up to folks much smarter than me . 

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You might not like how the man runs his Football team or even how he carries himself, but saying he's not a smart man, Well I think i'll leave the rest up to folks much smarter than me . 

the dude is an heir to one of the great fortunes in American history and he went to Arizona State.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

the dude is an heir to one of the great fortunes in American history and he went to Arizona State.

THIS ^^^^^....  Tin, please show me something that tells us he is a smart man?    He is a below average owner based on his record. Justthe numbers talking.... His other accomplishments?  Im at a loss there.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would you say the Jets are worth less than what Woody Johnson paid for it or more presently ? 

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS ^^^^^....  Tin, please show me something that tells us he is a smart man?    He is a below average owner based on his record. Justthe numbers talking.... His other accomplishments?  Im at a loss there.

For someone born into his position Arizona State REALLY is an odd choice.   

36 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

For someone born into his position Arizona State REALLY is an odd choice.   

Woody basically came into an enormous sum of money that was conditional on neither he nor his brother touching the flagship company.

He somehow, with or without help, had the stroke of genius to buy an NFL football team.

He then was smart enough to work with Bill Parcells and Tanny to help him put together a team competitive enough to open a new stadium with and sell PSLs.

He spent his own money to build a world class training facility in Florham Park

But since then, left to his own devices, he has been completely clueless as to how build and run a competitive NFL team.  He can not even sit in the same room with the Rooney's, Maras or Kraft.  Even Davis of the Raiders has it figured out better than Woody.

As per Forbes in 2016, the Bills are the least valuable NFL Team.  Their value at that time was 2.5x greater than Woody bought the Jets for in 2000.  This pretty much suggests the most important factor in being able to increase the value of an NFL franchise is being able to own an NFL franchise.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

For comparison's sake, are there NFL teams that are worth less in 2017 than in 2000?

Are the rest of the NFL owners being called dumb  for trying and failing to run a winning  franchise  ?  The team that wins the Super Bowl is the only winning franchise in the NFL year to year .   Yes, the Jets have not been to the playoffs in the last few years, but before that, we had some interesting seasons .  To all things there is a season, a time under the heavens . 

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

They should cut Harris, trade Forte and Mclendon and keep Purdum. Somebody has to snap on punts.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

#VCU hoopster/football player Mo Alie Cox is slated to visit the #Chiefs, #Bucs, #Jets, #Colts, #Seahawks, #Chargers. Others may be added.

The scout from the Tennessee Titans drew up a football play for Mo Alie-Cox. He explained what each player did and how it all came together.

A few minutes later, he handed Alie-Cox a marker and asked him to diagram the play from scratch.

Thus began his immersion into the world of professional football, a sport he hasn’t played since his freshman year of high school. Alie-Cox will attempt to make a living as an NFL tight end, and if Tuesday’s response was any indication, that dream is within his reach.

All but two NFL teams sent scouts to Richmond to see if he could make the transition, and the early returns were positive.

Three teams (the Titans, Ravens and Dolphins) met in-depth with him after the combine-style workout, and he left from the workout to the airport for a four-day, four-city tour of NFL facilities. He’ll visit the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts, and as he was headed out the door his agent’s phone was still buzzing with more requests.

Several teams sent multiple scouts, including the Redskins, whose director of pro personnel, Alex Santos, was on hand.

The next step is for Alie-Cox to pick a team. He won’t have to wait for the draft — he’s officially a free agent, as he was eligible to be chosen in last year’s draft but wasn’t.

“I just want to put myself in a situation where I have a great opportunity to learn,” he said. “I know this is going to be something new, and there will be a huge learning curve. I haven’t done it in a while.”

Hence the scouts quizzing Alie-Cox to see how quickly he could pick up an NFL play — at training camp, he’ll see plays first on a whiteboard at a morning meeting, then will be expected to run those plays at an afternoon workout.

The biggest thing Alie-Cox had to prove was the simplest: that he could catch a football. At the workout, he caught passes from former Henrico High quarterback Malcolm Bell, who raved about his receiver.

“He’s a beast — he’s big, he’s long and he has range,” said Bell. “His hands are humongous. In one drill, we had to throw the ball pretty hard to him, and he was just absorbing it.”

Alie-Cox has been training for NFL work since the basketball season ended in March, and has been working at EXOS in Pensacola, Fla., a sports-performance center that trained 16 of last year’s first-round draft picks.

Despite never having run a 40-yard dash in his basketball career, Alie-Cox put up a respectable time of 4.75 on Tuesday, a hair off his best in Pensacola.

He measured in at 6-foot-5½ inches and 262 pounds, having put on some weight (intentionally) since basketball season ended.

His vertical jump of 35.5 inches and his 3-cone drill time of 7.25 seconds would have placed him about seventh out of the tight ends at this year’s NFL combine, numbers that won’t turn heads, but will count as more than satisfactory given his lack of training.

Alie-Cox said he hopes teams will warm up to his personality in interviews, and will understand his passion for the sport he gave up when he moved to a private high school that didn’t have a football team.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/mo-alie-cox-wows-nfl-scouts-will-visit-several-teams/article_8e0b8492-ce06-555f-85df-2232443fe8c5.html

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Source: #VCU basketball player Mo Alie-Cox is signing with the #Colts

On 4/17/2017 at 3:33 PM, varjet said:

Woody basically came into an enormous sum of money that was conditional on neither he nor his brother touching the flagship company.

He somehow, with or without help, had the stroke of genius to buy an NFL football team.

He then was smart enough to work with Bill Parcells and Tanny to help him put together a team competitive enough to open a new stadium with and sell PSLs.

He spent his own money to build a world class training facility in Florham Park

But since then, left to his own devices, he has been completely clueless as to how build and run a competitive NFL team.  He can not even sit in the same room with the Rooney's, Maras or Kraft.  Even Davis of the Raiders has it figured out better than Woody.

Not that I'm defending Woody, but did the Rooney's , Mara's and Kraft hit the ground running in establishing quality football teams. I remember a number of lean years for each of those perceived NFL powerhouses, plus they had the benefit of family establishment in the NFL business.

Archived