NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

New York Jets (@nyjets)

8/14/17, 1:47 PM

We have signed WR Daniel Williams and waived WR Deshon Foxx. 

nyj.social/2vxLC9a

Williams recorded 47 receptions for 599 yards and three touchdowns for Jackson State in 2016. The 6'3", 200-pounder totaled 2,497 yards and 19 touchdowns on 184 receptions in four seasons for the Tigers. 

Foxx originally signed a reserve/future contract with the Jets in January, but was waived May 9. He was re-signed later that month when the team placed WR Devin Smith on injured reserve after he tore his ACL in Phase One of the offseason workout program. 

Williams 6'3".  Seems more of a WCO WR. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Davis - RB - Seahawks

Mike Davis rushed eight times for a team-high 33 yards in Sunday's preseason opener against the Chargers and he also recorded a seven-yard grab.

The former standout from the University of South Carolina is looking to realize his potential in Seattle after being jettisoned by the 49ers, but he has a big hill to climb. The Seahawks are stacked with Thomas Rawls, Eddie Lacy and C.J. Prosise at the top of the depth chart, and rookie Chris Carson has also been impressive. It's a long shot for Davis to make the club, although he certainly did nothing to hurt his chances in this one.

I hope we're watching this situation closely, because any one of these depth guys would be a positive addition to our RB corps.

Eagles released RB Ryan Mathews.

This was always the expectation after Mathews was medically cleared of his neck injury Tuesday. The move saves Philly $4 million against the cap. If he actually is healthy, Mathews should latch on somewhere in the near future.
Related: Eagles

Aug 15 - 11:41 AM

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree at this point it seems Forte and Powell are injury prone. 

My vote would be to jettison Forte, take the cap hit, and sign a RB or 2 that is more likely to stay healthy and could contribute to the future.

Then I would convert a DL or 2 into a WR or OL.

Moves like this would result in a more balanced roster.

18 hours ago, Thor99 said:

Guess who this 'injury prone' player is. He's missed 8 games in 5 years. 

IMG_2144.PNG

He's barely played look at the attempts and yards he's been hindered by something if not injuries.... I like Bilal Powell and would like to see him be the feature RB here I just don't think he's durable enough. 

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I hope we're watching this situation closely, because any one of these depth guys would be a positive addition to our RB corps.

Mike Davis?  Guy had 4.1 ypc, for 8 carries and they are acting like he is going to be oh so difficult to cut.  

Therezie is an interesting guy.  Could be a nice fit for us. Played in a bunch of games for the Falcons in 2015 and Saints last year.  He is a great athlete, but short (5'9").  Was used as a hybrid S/LB or nickel at Auburn.  Sounds like he played a ton of man, but lined up at the LOS.  Ran in the 4.3s, 10' broad and decent arm length despite his size.  Here is a link:

NFL teams targeting Auburn's Robenson Therezie for specific role

ESPN's Pat McManamon reports the Browns have renewed efforts to trade Brock Osweiler.

DeShone Kizer is on track to start Week 1 barring an implosion in the third week of the preseason, while Osweiler is not going to play this week. Osweiler's inactivity suggests the Browns are trying to keep him healthy in order to deal him. Osweiler essentially took a shot at Browns team hierarchy, replying "I think that's a great question for our general manager" when asked what would need to happen for him to win the starting job, suggesting it would be the GM's call and not coach Hue Jackson's. "I don't know where that came from," Jackson answered when asked about Osweiler's comment.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets released RB/KR Jordan Todman.

Todman signed for the veteran minimum back in June. There wasn't a role for him on the tanking Jets as a 27-year-old journeyman. UDFA Jahad Thomas replaces Todman.

"He's a player who fits very specific needs so it's hard to tell where he might go. If you want a player who can return kicks, catch some passes and be a third or fourth running back, he gives that. I think he's tough enough to play. He'll get drafted based on his roster flexibility more than anything." -- Area scout for NFC East team

NFL COMPARISON

Marcus Murphy

BOTTOM LINE

Productive running back lacking in NFL-caliber size and strength but who makes up for it with his quickness and ability to help as a pass catcher and return man. While it's hard to imagine him handling more than just a few carries per game as an NFL runner, his roster flexibility could work in his advantage. With his ability to operate from the slot and as a jet-sweep runner, he could be an interesting toy for a creative play-caller.

Jahad Thomas is no longer a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Still available after the doors were closed on the 2017 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys signed Thomas out of the undrafted free agent pool with the hopes of seeing him replace now-exited running back Lance Dunbar. It was a role Thomas knew all too well from his days with the Temple Owls, and was excited about potentially being the square peg in the square hole.

He'd go down with a hamstring injury in training camp, however, which was followed by his release with injury designation. Thomas ultimately cleared waivers and landed on the Cowboys' injured reserve but, according to NFLTradeRumors, he's now been given his final walking papers.

Measuring at 5-foot-10, 190 lbs., the 21-year-old Thomas has a similar physical build as Dunbar -- weighing the same while being just about an inch taller.

In his two years as a starter at Temple, the shifty RB put up 2,215 rushing yards and 2,849 total yards from scrimmage. He's as dangerous as a WR threat as he can be accepting handoffs, and racked up a massive 37 touchdowns in his final two collegiate seasons.

That's when healthy, however, and right now he isn't.

The Cowboys' depth chart at running back remains loaded even in the face of a six-game suspension on Ezekiel Elliott, with Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris, Rod Smith and Ronnie Hillman all in tow. 

i had Thomas on my sleeper list in the draft room until he stunk it up at the combine. Then you go back and watch the games and start to notice the lack of burst and acceleration after he cuts... 

He's like an unathletic Arian Foster... lol wtf. I hope he proves me wrong. Him and McGuire could be fun to watch later this year. 

On 3/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, BurnleyJet said:

Carolina Panthers trade DE Kony Ealy to Patriots

The Panthers announced Friday that the Patriots have shipped their second-round pick south in exchange for pass-rusher Kony Ealy and Carolina's third-round selection.

Hardly a sack master and we can't get a bag of biscuits for Sheldon.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

Patriots announced they have released DL Kony Ealy.

Michael Lombardi‏ @mlombardiNFL

Hard time finding him doing anything productive in their first three games. Have to earn the right to be on the team, and he didn't

Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL  

Said this on my GM Street podcast @RingerPodcasts in May. Miami will listen to offers on Jarvis Landry and seriously listen.

2 Factors on Miami wanting to listen--1-not going to resign him and 2- Parker is going to get more involved

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL  

Said this on my GM Street podcast @RingerPodcasts in May. Miami will listen to offers on Jarvis Landry and seriously listen.

2 Factors on Miami wanting to listen--1-not going to resign him and 2- Parker is going to get more involved

He would be a nice addition to the Jets and immediately be the #1 WR. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

8/28/17, 10:01 AM

Lions released WR Keshawn Martin and TE Tim Wright.

Interesting, they had Wright in back in June-it's in this thread.  I wonder if they wanted him and he signed back with the Lions or there was a lack of interest.  FWIW, the Lions just signed him the start of the month.  To make room they cut Brandon Barnes who the Jets signed when Marques Wilson was waived/injured.

Landry can return too.  Don't see us paying the price or dealing with the Dolphins though. 

The Redzone (@TheRedzoneorg)

8/29/17, 9:23 AM

Bengals trade Marquis Flowers to New England bit.ly/2wPl2KO  

The Enquirer learned through multiple league sources that the Bengals sent reserve linebacker Marquis Flowers to the Patriots for a seventh-round pick.

Flowers, 25, was a sixth-round pick of the Bengals in 2014 out of Arizona. He played in 16 games and made one start in his rookie year, but missed all of 2015 with a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason.

Last year, the 6-foot, 3-inch, 245-pound linebacker returned to also play in all 16 games, mostly on special teams.

Adam Schefter‏  @AdamSchefter  

Lions announced they have waived T Cyrus Kouandjio.

Michael Lombardi‏ @mlombardiNFL  

Everyone thinks Alabama has the greatest pool of talent in the NFL, closely examine their hits and misses-Saban coaches not all just talent.

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reports the idea that second-year QB Jacoby Brissett's roster spot is in question has "gained enough traction" in recent weeks.

Some that cover the team have left Brissett off 53-man roster projections, while Howe believes it's "probable" Brissett will end up being safe at final cuts. However, it's clear Brissett is one of the final few at the bottom of the roster and could be sent packing if New England needs to cover ground elsewhere, particularly on special teams. Brissett was a third-round pick last year. He'd surely draw interest if cut if for no other reason than his Patriots connections.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reports the idea that second-year QB Jacoby Brissett's roster spot is in question has "gained enough traction" in recent weeks.

Some that cover the team have left Brissett off 53-man roster projections, while Howe believes it's "probable" Brissett will end up being safe at final cuts. However, it's clear Brissett is one of the final few at the bottom of the roster and could be sent packing if New England needs to cover ground elsewhere, particularly on special teams. Brissett was a third-round pick last year. He'd surely draw interest if cut if for no other reason than his Patriots connections.

I would jump all over that kid if the Pats were crazy enough to cut him .  That kid while in college threw something like 200 passes without a single interception . He would be a perfect fit for the type of offense John Morton wants to run IMO . Oh man I wish they would cut that kid . 

why did we cut this guy after signing him?

Texans WR Bruce Ellington "appears destined to survive" final cuts.

Ellington has flashed since signing with the Texans three weeks ago. Getting playing time with the first-team due to injuries, Ellington has eight catches for 122 yards through two preseason games. He appears to be competing with Dres Anderson for a roster spot, although injuries and Jaelen Strong's one-game suspension could allow both to stick.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Seahawks are trying to trade Jermaine Kearse.

Kearse is an obvious candidate to be moved with Paul Richardson, Tyler Lockett, and Kasen Williams in line for bigger roles. The Seahawks are hoping to sell high after Kearse's strong performance in the third preseason game. Kearse is unlikely to draw much interest with $7 million-plus remaining on the final two years of his deal. Seattle can save $2.2 million from releasing him.

12 minutes ago, jbt said:

why did we cut this guy after signing him?

Texans WR Bruce Ellington "appears destined to survive" final cuts.

Ellington has flashed since signing with the Texans three weeks ago. Getting playing time with the first-team due to injuries, Ellington has eight catches for 122 yards through two preseason games. He appears to be competing with Dres Anderson for a roster spot, although injuries and Jaelen Strong's one-game suspension could allow both to stick.

He failed the physical.  They didn't really sign him, they put in a waiver claim and then said he wasn't fully recovered from the hamstring injury.  The Texans signed him less than a week later and within two weeks he was tearing it up starting against the Pats. When you look at who the Texans have hurt - Hopkins, Braxton Miller and Fuller, it makes me sad that we are whining about losing Enunwa.

Archived