Bills, 49ers, Jets all out of Glennon bidding

Gas2No99

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We really do keep dodging bullets that would set the franchise back. It is almost like their is an external force out there determined we will not ruin our total rebuild.

Or a GM with a brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The point of having a guy like Hoyer isn't to start. It's to back up. You pay starter money then a guy is going to want to start. We aren't looking for that as a ball club. Don't get me wrong lol..we WANT a starter but we clearly want to give our young guys the first chance. They fail? Then we go out and pay that 14 mill to a player like Glennon. 

IMO the fact that the Jets were looking at Glennon at all tells you that as a management team they do not feel that Hack or Petty are ready for prime time.  

Hoyer shouldn't be on the team, why in the world are we downgrading?  I don't think that he is good as Fitz!  

We need to upgrade from this decade or more of incompetent Jet QB play and it is up to the Jets GM and HC to get us QBs better than last years league worst performances.

Finally I will keep it simple IMO there is no way Glennon would be worse than Fitz was last year; it simply is not possible, and I want that upgrade as opposed to some rabbits foot hoping that players who have never performed well yet will magically do so in a rebuilding situation.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

This whole thing makes me think how bad all the QB are in this draft when the Bears in particular picking 2nd would rather have Glennon....ewwwwww

Think on that folks are clamoring for QBs that the Bears with the #2 pick are saying are not as good as Glennon.

Maybe they know more than those knocking Glennon?

But then again maybe they don't, after all they are the Bears... :) 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

IMO the fact that the Jets were looking at Glennon at all tells you that as a management team they do not feel that Hack or Petty are ready for prime time.  

It possibly tells you that. A lot of teams could have been looking, at least as a strong backup to their starter, but quickly bowed out as the asking price rose. Really, who knows what the truth is about any team. Lots of supposed sources have stories on several teams going both ways on Glennon. How many are true and how much of the supposed interest is not just trying to con other teams into overpaying or getting out of the draft race for QB? Impossible to say. 

8 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Or a GM with a brain

We wanted to extend Marshall and he didn't want to stay, I would have been fine with Marshall playing this year on the team but not with  an extended cap hit over the following few years. Bullet dodged.

We were going to pay another backup qb around 14 mil a year approximately for god knows how many years. Bears are overpaying, bullet dodged. Has nothing to due wit Mac doing well in FA ( his biggest weakness) its he has just gotten lucky so far. 

14 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Name the last QB who is considered a top 1st rounder to not come out when eligible?  I'll wait till you count down to Andrew Luck, and Peyton Manning.

Forgot about Luck, but other then those 2 I can't remember any other QB not coming out when he was eligible to, and considered to be guaranteed top few picks of NFL draft.

Like I said there is no guarantee, with so many variables that can happen from this season until the 2018 draft. The top QB 's can get hurt, they can play like sh*t the next year, we could have an 7-9 record etc. I don't see Mac operating that way, with the mindset to Tank for a top prospect. 

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The point of having a guy like Hoyer isn't to start. It's to back up. You pay starter money then a guy is going to want to start. We aren't looking for that as a ball club. Don't get me wrong lol..we WANT a starter but we clearly want to give our young guys the first chance. They fail? Then we go out and pay that 14 mill to a player like Glennon. 

If we do sign Hoyer he wil more than likely start over Petty and Hack unless Hack or Petty develop beyond expectations.

21 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Like I said there is no guarantee, with so many variables that can happen from this season until the 2018 draft. The top QB 's can get hurt, they can play like sh*t the next year, we could have an 7-9 record etc. I don't see Mac operating that way, with the mindset to Tank for a top prospect. 

I'm not disagreeing with this from a GM thought process right now, BUT come November, and the Jets are 0-9, 1-8 you do what you can to get that top pick with a guy like Darnold possibly coming out, and if that means firing Bowles on the spot, and promoting a puppet to do as you say, that's what you do (like the Jets should have down with 4 weeks to play in 2014 to get Winston, or Mariota those 3 wins in 4 games set us back 5 years minimum).

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm not disagreeing with this from a GM thought process right now, BUT come November, and the Jets are 0-9, 1-8 you do what you can to get that top pick with a guy like Darnold possibly coming out, and if that means firing Bowles on the spot, and promoting a puppet to do as you say, that's what you do (like the Jets should have down with 4 weeks to play in 2014 to get Winston, or Mariota those 3 wins in 4 games set us back 5 years minimum).

Cant argue with that, I don't think many will. I try not to be to reactionary, so I will see what Mac does through FA and the draft. I like Glennon but paying over a certain amount is not what I want to see happen either. We have a lot of holes to fill. 

From the available options in FA and the crap shoot the draft is, up to a point I can understand the posters who more or less argue to go with Petty and Hackenberg.

Only problem is EVERYTHING we have seen and heard about them, including what we have not seen, gives no good reason to think either one will be even a decent Qb this year.

NO good reason.

Says here if the Jet FO ends up in that position, it's not because they are smart to do so.  It's because they couldn't do any better.

11 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Until Geno got hurt, Petty was getting no reps as the 3rd string QB, and missed the 1st half of last season due to injury to boot.  No one knows what Petty is at this point.

This is the season to roll with Petty and let Hack get backup reps...if they want to draft another QB they like this year, so be it because if Petty doesn't prove himself next season he's a goner and Hack will be starting in the 2nd half of the season anyway.  If more than 1 of them pan out as viable starters, it's an added bonus.

Agree with this.

Problem is Petty has an injured left shoulder.  It will be very difficult for him to get any reps in OTA's. Not his throwing arm, but still will not be able to throw the ball for some time.  Kids just been in a bad situation.

45 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree with this.

Problem is Petty has an injured left shoulder.  It will be very difficult for him to get any reps in OTA's. Not his throwing arm, but still will not be able to throw the ball for some time.  Kids just been in a bad situation.

"We're excited about both of them, to see how they perform this offseason," Maccagnan said of Petty and Hackenberg. "Bryce will be back, and I can't think of the exact date, but it's sometime, I think, in April. And he'll be able to start throwing again." 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/bryce_petty_christian_hackenberg_throw.html

2 minutes ago, jetsfan719 said:

I would be so happy if we just went with geno petty and hakenberg

And a draft pick . There's not a single QB from that group that has proven he could even be a backup .

Archived