Jets Preparing Monster Offer For Nick Perry

SR24

Per @PackerReport on twitter. Not a fan of this. Guy had a solid year in a contract year but if you look at his #s before 2016 they are subpar at best. But this is such a Jets move so I'm not surprised

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

joewillie12:

Really? I watched a lot of Packer games.  I didn't see him stick out.  Did you?

The free agent I saw stand out multiple times is AJ Bouye. And I still wouldn't pay him what he is going to get.

He would be our best LB agree or not? 

Guys got game and identity. 

Perry is a good player. I wouldn't hate this, would probably eliminate us from going EDGE at 6(it's a deep class)and Jenkins starts next year. Mauldin looks like he'll be released. 

The irritating thing about this is the Jets should have drafted Perry.

25 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Per @PackerReport on twitter. Not a fan of this. Guy had a solid year in a contract year but if you look at his #s before 2016 they are subpar at best. But this is such a Jets move so I'm not surprised

Hopefully the Jets don't break the bank for this guy, but to be fair, he's never played more than 50% of the defensive snaps before this year. He's almost certainly better than anything we have at the position.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Edge rusher with 11 sacks? Sounds awful. 

LMAO, right? Pass, lol. And the Packers didn't have a Leonard Williams & Mo Wilk on their Dline. We have to sign a couple of FAs, might as well be guys on the rise that are still young.

Just now, Kevin L said:

Hopefully the Jets don't break the bank for this guy, but to be fair, he's never played more than 50% of the defensive snaps before this year. He's almost certainly better than anything we have at the position.

Even then it's concerning a guy who has 1 productive season but only plays half the snaps? Just because someone would be an upgrade doesn't mean we should go out and pay a kings ransom. He's had more than 4 sacks in a season once in his career. I'd rather spend that money on Hightower or Gilmore

Just now, Jetster said:

LMAO, right? Pass, lol. And the Packers didn't have a Leonard Williams & Mo Wilk on their Dline. We have to sign a couple of FAs, might as well be guys on the rise that are still young.

Look at his previous seasons.. 

7 career sacks in 8 playoff games with only 1 start.

Only started 28 of his 60 games played in his career, I'd have to get more info from someone who follows the Packers day in day out to get a real feel for this guy.

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I can't get behind giving a guy a monster deal after he has 1 good year

Only real edge rusher in FA so he is going to get the money somewhere.  Its hard to evaluate b/c we don't know if he just had a contract year and goes back to how he played before that or its possible he is a late bloomer and finally put it all together last year at the right time and stayed healthy.  If its the latter and we do pay him 10-12 million I think that would be worth 12 sacks a year and 60+ tackles

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

9M per?!?!?

F*ck. No.

We were paying our center 9 million & he was being abused by a nobody in 2015. Some guys are gonna get paid. You have a minimum you need to spend. I don't want to pay anybody other than a QB 9 mill, but the league has changed. You will always have some overpaid players unless your the Pats with the best QB in history willing to take home team discounts.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Only real edge rusher in FA so he is going to get the money somewhere.  Its hard to evaluate b/c we don't know if he just had a contract year and goes back to how he played before that or its possible he is a late bloomer and finally put it all together last year at the right time and stayed healthy.  If its the latter and we do pay him 10-12 million I think that would be worth 12 sacks a year and 60+ tackles

I agree, but to play devils advocate.. what if we give him a crazy contract and he turns out to go back to being a dud? I think with this team in a rebuild we need to spend the money wisely on sure thing players. If he had continuous growth in the sack column and tackles I'd be all for it but this is a big gamble.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

7 career sacks in 8 playoff games with only 1 start.

Only started 28 of his 60 games played in his career, I'd have to get more info from someone who follows the Packers day in day out to get a real feel for this guy.

This guy's position coach on the Packers his rookie yr is the same position coach on the jets and might have something to do with this .

21 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

There is a small chance he is a late bloomer, ala James Farrior.

But far more likely the Jets are going to grossly overpay for a guy that had a "visible numbers" type of season... and he will prove to be a jag.

http://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-the-packers-dont-need-nick-perry

That's what happens when a team drafts poorly/doesn't develop players.  They have to overpay for middling players developed by other teams.

From PFF's top 10 breakout players of 2016, Perry ranked 6th.

6. Nick Perry, EDGE, Green Bay Packers

Coming into 2016, Nick Perry had never played particularly poor over a season, but there was little to suggest that he could become an impact player for the Packers and justify his first-round draft status. This season, though, Perry racked up 11 sacks and 47 total QB pressures—despite missing significant time due to injury. He also recorded 37 defensive stops, good enough for ninth-most among all NFL edge defenders, despite playing fewer snaps than any of the players above him in that category (and many of those below him). Perry has looked excellent against the run and pass, and now looks every bit like a former first-round pick.

Archived