Jets Preparing Monster Offer For Nick Perry

SR24

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The league leaders in sacks only played 58% of his teams defensive snaps.  He's the definition of a one trick pony.  You dont need 3 down Football players on the edge at all.   You need guys who can get to the QB when asked to get to the QB. 

My philosophy is sign 3 down football players because there are always one trick pony pass rushers in the FA market and so you don't have to reach for one dimensional football players via the draft. Im sick of the so called draft "projects" on the edge that 9 times out of 10 don't pan out.

Its the reason why guys like Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeny go to "win now" teams to help out with the pass rush. We have all heard the names throughout the years I say play it straight during the draft and sign the tough calls/ proven players via Free agency

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets concluded that they needed an EDGE rusher to make their entire defense work.  The CBs will be better and cheaper if the Jets are getting a pass rusher.  For that reason both the Packers concluded that they needed to sign Perry.

My only negative reaction to the potential signing was that they appeared to be giving up on Mauldin.  Coach him up.  He can be the situational pass rusher, if he can play 16 games.

There will be players in the 2nd round that can add to the EDGE, if the Jets are out of the QB trap.

Mauldin may be that guy on a really good defense where he will have more freedom but with our current list of LB's hes not getting anything done because they stink

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

My philosophy is sign 3 down football players because there are always one trick pony pass rushers in the FA market and so you don't have to reach for one dimensional football players via the draft. Im sick of the so called draft "projects" on the edge that 9 times out of 10 don't pan out.

Its the reason why guys like Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeny go to "win now" teams to help out with the pass rush. We have all heard the names throughout the years I say play it straight during the draft and sign the tough calls/ proven players via Free agency

Easier said than done.  Finding someone that can consistently get to the QB has been impossible for the Jets but you want a guy who do everything!

If a Football player's one dimension is he can get to the QB...that's a very very valuable dimension.

Just now, JiF said:

Easier said than done.  Finding someone that can consistently get to the QB has been impossible for the Jets but you want a guy who do everything!

If a Football player's one dimension is he can get to the QB...that's a very very valuable dimension.

read my post again I said nothing of the sort. I said sign 3 down LB's and when the time comes that your team is in contention sign your PROVEN pass rusher via Free Agency.

I agree getting to the QB is very valuable but trying to find that one trick pony as we both state via the draft it is extremely difficult.

So Draft 3 down LB's Sign situational pass rushers in Free Agency ..no guess work Build a solid team of well rounded football players and use FA to fill the holes

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

read my post again I said nothing of the sort. I said sign 3 down LB's and when the time comes that your team is in contention sign your PROVEN pass rusher via Free Agency.

I agree getting to the QB is very valuable but trying to find that one trick pony as we both state via the draft it is extremely difficult.

So Draft 3 down LB's Sign situational pass rushers in Free Agency ..no guess work Build a solid team of well rounded football players and use FA to fill the holes

You're all over the place.  Perry would fit your situational pass rusher theory in FA. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You're all over the place.  Perry would fit your situational pass rusher theory in FA. 

dude you really need to read my posts because apparently you are not reading them at all. I SAID ONCE YOU ARE CONTENDING then you sign your situational pass rusher via free agency.

Your either trolling or not reading 

This is the type of player the jets should be going after a younger guy who will be here long term.  As for Perry himself i have ZERO confidence that by week 3 bowles would not have him playing olb in a 4-3 and dictating the only times he can blitz.

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

The league leaders in sacks only played 58% of his teams defensive snaps.  He's the definition of a one trick pony.  You dont need 3 down Football players on the edge at all.   You need guys who can get to the QB when asked to get to the QB. 

Perry has proven when on the field he can get to the QB, and has done it in the biggest situations recording 7 sacks in 8 playoff games while only starting 1 of those 8 games.

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Nick Perry was a 3 down LB last year, and graded out as a good run defender, and top 6 pass rusher in 2016 according to PFF.

He did serious damage the last 2 games of the year, and in the playoffs both rushing the passer, and in run defense with a club wrapped on his broken hand.

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

He also fits as a 3 down LB now, he was a situational player his first 4 seasons, last year he proved he can play as a 3 down LB playing over 75% of the defensive snaps.

You guys haven't learned you need to PAY for a pass rusher.

Green Bay just proved all you naysayers wrong by resigning him to a LARGE CONTRACT

Pass rushers- shutdown CBs- LTs other than QB get big bucks as free agents. Its not easy to draft these guys & hit on them.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

dude you really need to read my posts because apparently you are not reading them at all. I SAID ONCE YOU ARE CONTENDING then you sign your situational pass rusher via free agency.

Your either trolling or not reading 

Well, you're examples were Peppers and Freeny both 36+ years old.  Not a 27 year old like Nick Perry.  lol

Perry has proven when on the field he can get to the QB, and has done it in the biggest situations recording 7 sacks in 8 playoff games while only starting 1 of those 8 games.

Good stat! Too bad it sounds like he's going back to GB

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, SR24 said:

Per @PackerReport on twitter. Not a fan of this. Guy had a solid year in a contract year but if you look at his #s before 2016 they are subpar at best. But this is such a Jets move so I'm not surprised

Just read on NFL.COM that Perry resigned with Packers.

Archived