Jump to content

Report: Jets Showing Interest in QB Ryan Mallett


Recommended Posts

Ryan-Mallett.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

 

In dire need of a veteran quarterback after reportedly losing out on the bidding for Mike Glennon and learning that the Buffalo Bills would not be releasing Tyrod Taylor, the Jets have reportedly reached out to another veteran quarterback in Ryan Mallett.

Diana Russini of ESPN.com is reporting that the Jets are one of four teams to have expressed an interest in Mallett, the others being the Bears, 49ers and Ravens.

Mallett has been an enigma since coming in to the league as a member of the New England Patriots in 2012.  A strong-armed talent at quarterback, Mallett has been plagued by character issues which is what led to his release in 2015.

Since then, he has been with the Ravens in Baltimore where he appeared in just 4 games, attempting six passes.

In 2015, Mallett logged a career high 6 starts between the Texans and Ravens, throwing 5 TD’s and 7 interceptions while completing just 55% of his passes.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
sIbT9WiK0do

Click here to read the full story...

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what it has come to.

I would 100% hate this, but I only 90% hate it because the fact that he's been in Baltimore with Ozzie Newsome, and Ozzie wants him back.  So at least one respected GM would be alright with having him on his roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoBowles said:

Fng A! The white Geno Smith!

LOL..I almost said you'd have to sign him and Geno because one of 'em is gonna' forget to show up for a game or practice.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ManCave Analyst said:

Rotoworld World has posted that Mallet has resigned with the Ravens.  

Yup, I just posted it and pulled the article.  The tweet showed up at the top of my TL and I have it on chronological, so it never should have come up.  My mistake.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Mallett is not a QB.  He is another arm with the wrong attitude.

not the point.  everyone being "linked" to the jets is going elsewhere.  speaks to the state of this franchise when QBs that have legit chances of starting don't want to come here.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Why not just pull a guy out of the stands?

What I like about this strategy is that so many of the explanations as to why Hackenberg may not be terrible, can actually be applied to "guy out of the stands."

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I don't know what makes me feel worst, the perceived state of my beloved Jets or the knowledge of the way them that call themselves fans of this team make me feel about being a fan .  

I hope it's the latter, because that would be really embarrassing for you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, heymangold said:

not the point.  everyone being "linked" to the jets is going elsewhere.  speaks to the state of this franchise when QBs that have legit chances of starting don't want to come here.

The thing that makes me laugh through all of this is that Mac NEVER lets anyone know what he is thinking nor are there any real leaks that slip out of fordham park these days. Anyone believing what these media hacks write are still living in the Ryan/Tanny days where we knew everything that is going on. Who the hell knows what the Jets are thinking these days or who they want. I didnt want Mallet or Hoyer and I BARELY had an interest in Glennon but only at a price that the market isnt bearing. I would have been pissed if they had signed Tyrod to an expensive long term contract because I don't believe he is the answer. So you might say well Penguin who the hell do you want? My answer would be that I don't really want any of the trash that's out there but we can sign someone who can be the vet who is either beat out by one of the young guys or he plays and sucks so horribly that they get to play anyway because the season is lost. My hope in that scenario is that enough of the other pieces look good enough where we are saying this time next year "all we need is a QB" and we draft a guy we can play for 10-12 years. I'll take chase daniels over any of these guys...someone who can play now but will eventually be the backup when the young gun is ready to shoot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

The thing that makes me laugh through all of this is that Mac NEVER lets anyone know what he is thinking nor are there any real leaks that slip out of fordham park these days. Anyone believing what these media hacks write are still living in the Ryan/Tanny days where we knew everything that is going on. Who the hell knows what the Jets are thinking these days or who they want. I didnt want Mallet or Hoyer and I BARELY had an interest in Glennon but only at a price that the market isnt bearing. I would have been pissed if they had signed Tyrod to an expensive long term contract because I don't believe he is the answer. So you might say well Penguin who the hell do you want? My answer would be that I don't really want any of the trash that's out there but we can sign someone who can be the vet who is either beat out by one of the young guys or he plays and sucks so horribly that they get to play anyway because the season is lost. My hope in that scenario is that enough of the other pieces look good enough where we are saying this time next year "all we need is a QB" and we draft a guy we can play for 10-12 years. I'll take chase daniels over any of these guys...someone who can play now but will eventually be the backup when the young gun is ready to shoot. 

never lets anyone know?  he said himself that he wanted to trade down in the draft.  multiple sources have linked the jets to guys such as glennon, hoyer, jefferson, etc and nothing has come to fruition.  do we need "leaks" to tell anyone that the jets need a QB?  i didn't want hoyer or mallet but the point is that these guys took BACKUP jobs elsewhere.  if tyrod happened to come here, he'd be the best QB to wear green and white since Testaverde/Pennington.  you want to sign other pieces but they're missing out on top tier guys at positions of need.  and its FLORHAM park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Diana Russini of ESPN.com is reporting that the Jets are one of four teams to have expressed an interest in Mallett, the others being the Bears, 49ers and Ravens.

 

It looks like the Jets, 49ers and Bears are in the same grouping this offseason.  Looks like none have "taken a leap" and tried to bring in a real QB.  Hopefully the Bears are in on Glennon.  And I read the 49ers are interested in Cousins (which I don't blame them for).  Then again, if Washington doesn't have Cousins then they probably fall into this group of crappy teams.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, heymangold said:

never lets anyone know?  he said himself that he wanted to trade down in the draft.  multiple sources have linked the jets to guys such as glennon, hoyer, jefferson, etc and nothing has come to fruition.  do we need "leaks" to tell anyone that the jets need a QB?  i didn't want hoyer or mallet but the point is that these guys took BACKUP jobs elsewhere.  if tyrod happened to come here, he'd be the best QB to wear green and white since Testaverde/Pennington.  you want to sign other pieces but they're missing out on top tier guys at positions of need.  and its FLORHAM park.

Yes, never lets anyone know. Because a GM says he is open to trading down right before the draft he isnt letting some huge cat out of the bag. Additionally, I was referring to free agent signing, not draft movement or deals. "Multiple sources" link the Jets to EVERY qb on the market available today. This is more a case of everyone guessing and hoping to be right in case it actually pans out. Some of the speculation might be true but most of it is probably just speculation. We are going to have to disagree on Tyrod, I dont think he was all that good.

Oh, thanks for ignoring my point and playing spell check police, Try using a capital letter at the beginning of your sentences friend, capitalize all I's and never start a sentence with AND.

It doesnt make you any smarter or football savvy, just makes you look like an A$$. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really interesting. Do the Jets have a plan to not overpay for a QB in this market? Or did they just strikeout on the guys they actually are interested in? Because if these are really the guys they are looking at then they don't really plan on being to competitive this year. I wonder if that means ownership is committed to this regime and rebuilding. I'd have to think the Jets would be much more aggressive if Maac felt his job was on the line. Maybe they want Cutler and are waiting for him to be cut....idk

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is really interesting. Do the Jets have a plan to not overpay for a QB in this market? Or did they just strikeout on the guys they actually are interested in? Because if these are really the guys they are looking at then they don't really plan on being to competitive this year. I wonder if that means ownership is committed to this regime and rebuilding. I'd have to think the Jets would be much more aggressive if Maac felt his job was on the line. Maybe they want Cutler and are waiting for him to be cut....idk

Oh my God yes to the first part, oh my God NO to the second

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is really interesting. Do the Jets have a plan to not overpay for a QB in this market? Or did they just strikeout on the guys they actually are interested in? Because if these are really the guys they are looking at then they don't really plan on being to competitive this year. I wonder if that means ownership is committed to this regime and rebuilding. I'd have to think the Jets would be much more aggressive if Maac felt his job was on the line. Maybe they want Cutler and are waiting for him to be cut....idk

IMO, this is obviously false.  They are looking at everybody.  If the plan were to tank, they would roll with Petty and Hackenberg and save the money.  A guy like Hoyer would win games with this team.  Not playoff games, but not 1-15 either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The Sanchize

No way does Dallas let him go.  I've heard he was "instrumental" in the success of Prescott.  Expect an extension and big guarantees to follow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whole lot of presumptions and rumours in this piece.  Fake News is a thing I think.

Hye, Warfish of EPSN.com is reporting, the Jets are expressing interest in Geno Smith, for 15 years, at 50 million a year.  Article inbound!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, heymangold said:

never lets anyone know?  he said himself that he wanted to trade down in the draft.  multiple sources have linked the jets to guys such as glennon, hoyer, jefferson, etc and nothing has come to fruition.  do we need "leaks" to tell anyone that the jets need a QB?  i didn't want hoyer or mallet but the point is that these guys took BACKUP jobs elsewhere.  if tyrod happened to come here, he'd be the best QB to wear green and white since Testaverde/Pennington.  you want to sign other pieces but they're missing out on top tier guys at positions of need.  and its FLORHAM park.

Why is practically everyone on this board acting like the Jets ACTUALLY made overtures to any of these guys or placed themselves in the running?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, this is obviously false.  They are looking at everybody.  If the plan were to tank, they would roll with Petty and Hackenberg and save the money.  A guy like Hoyer would win games with this team.  Not playoff games, but not 1-15 either. 

I agree. But I wasn't really including Hoyer in the discussion. I was under the assumption he was signing with the 49ers. I think he'd be a bad signing for us anyway because we'd win games, but not enough to be serious contenders or anything.

I was more so referring to guys like Ryan Mallet who have a few random starts under their belt and have never seen any serious playing time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...