So who is the next GM and Head Coach

thadude

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

1) There's a 3rd option.  Macc did what he thought was best for the team.  You decided to dismiss that one, but it's quite plausible.  In fact, we don't have any evidence to suggest Macc is any more competent than what we've seen, so everything else suggested is just you making up excuses to support your point.  Macc has made more bad moves than good ones at this point, you simply, as you point out later, value the GM over all, so you don't want to believe it's of his own volition, and rather because he was scared he'd get fired like Idzik.  You know what he could do to not get fired like Idzik?  Stop drafting like Idzik.  It's really quite simple in that regard.

2) It's already been pointed out to you that it was well known the draft class was a disaster, and the biggest reason was that half the players were cut.  The fact is, we knew then that Idzik was a spectacular failure.  Everyone knew it.  You didn't.  It's not hindsight when everyone was correct all along and you didn't see it until much later.  2-3 years isn't a rule, it's an idea.  In this case, 2-3 years wasn't required.  Haven't you yourself said that you will chance your mind on Macc if he doesn't succeed in this draft?  Well, does that mean you'll change your mind on him in 2020, because you require that 3 years?

3) If GMs were regarded as so much more important than HCs, HCs wouldn't be getting paid 2x-4x what GMs get paid.

Face it, your plan for the Jets was to keep letting Idzik fail, and then fire a HC after one year, because you think they're disposable, despite the fact that the league pays them significantly more than the GMs.  Firing Idzik after two failed drafts, in your mind, sent the wrong message, but firing a 1st year HC on a team devoid of talent does not.

1. Then why isn't he doing it again? Why isn't he spending freely this year? Unless you are willing to concede that he actually learned something which would not make him stupid. If he truly thought that was best for the team and the situations are basically the same (been said by many others), then why aren't we spending out?

2. NOW we know it is a disaster. The people who called it a disaster then were taking a stab at guessing or assuming. Unless, of course they had a time machine. It doesn't matter who was cut because if there was any player that would become a star, it would ease the fears.

3. HCs are paid for the public image they portray in addition to coaching. All the pressers and interviews. The GMs are the true power behind the throne. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Then why isn't he doing it again? Why isn't he spending freely this year? Unless you are willing to concede that he actually learned something which would not make him stupid. If he truly thought that was best for the team and the situations are basically the same (been said by many others), then why aren't we spending out?

2. NOW we know it is a disaster. The people who called it a disaster then were taking a stab at guessing or assuming. Unless, of course they had a time machine. It doesn't matter who was cut because if there was any player that would become a star, it would ease the fears.

3. HCs are paid for the public image they portray in addition to coaching. All the pressers and interviews. The GMs are the true power behind the throne. 

Mac is in meltdown mode and frozen in shock about how he made a bad situation with Idzik even worse

If we perform as expected this year and end up with Darnold or Allen (WY) or even Rosen, we will be able to attract an established HC (Offensive genius) and he can bring in his choice of GM.  Perhaps Payton or McCarthy are available in 2018 or 2019.  Having a superstar franchise QB changes the game.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

If we perform as expected this year and end up with Darnold or Allen (WY) or even Rosen, we will be able to attract an established HC (Offensive genius) and he can bring in his choice of GM.  Perhaps Payton or McCarthy are available in 2018 or 2019.  Having a superstar franchise QB changes the game.

Bill Belichick

On March 11, 2017 at 4:49 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

Or what could be done is fire Idzik, keep the HC, and let the incoming GM decide whether or not he wants to keep him. Dont force him to keep him, but let the GM make the decision

Idzik > Macagnan 

And I thought Idzik was retarded

57 minutes ago, thadude said:

Idzik > Macagnan 

And I thought Idzik was retarded

I don't think you can say Idzik was better than anyone. Mac is not looking very good at all right now, but its likely he was following our asshat owners orders. He did not draft well enough to where it looks like he will survive, unless either Hack or Petty magically become good, or he lands a QB in this years draft.

That said, Idzik was significantly worse, and its not even really close.

Macc had no options but to spend money and build a team to win now because of the pressures the fans put on the organization. It didn't work but lets see how he rebuilds the roster for longer term success...we cant keep going through GM and HC tandems because that makes you the Browns. Let's give Macc one other Head Coach to see what he does. Technically Macc Hired Bowles but it was under the recommendation of the people who hired him. Jets fans need to develop patience. 

17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I would really like to hear this case

Mac doesn't luck into getting Marshall for a 5th in 2015 his win/loss record after two seasons is just as bad as Idzik probably worse

Mac's draft record is equally terrible.  Mac got Leonard Williams, Idzik got Enunwa who is just as valuable at a much later round

16 hours ago, MyFavoriteMartin28 said:

Macc had no options but to spend money and build a team to win now because of the pressures the fans put on the organization. It didn't work but lets see how he rebuilds the roster for longer term success...we cant keep going through GM and HC tandems because that makes you the Browns. Let's give Macc one other Head Coach to see what he does. Technically Macc Hired Bowles but it was under the recommendation of the people who hired him. Jets fans need to develop patience. 

Problem was Mac spent money at the wrong places.  He gave Revis, Wilk and Fitz $200 million combined 

That money could have been spent better elsewhere plus we still have no qb with almost his third offseason done

16 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I don't think you can say Idzik was better than anyone. Mac is not looking very good at all right now, but its likely he was following our asshat owners orders. He did not draft well enough to where it looks like he will survive, unless either Hack or Petty magically become good, or he lands a QB in this years draft.

That said, Idzik was significantly worse, and its not even really close.

Idzik gave Mac $65 million in cap room

I'm not defending Idzik he sucked but Mac is just as bad maybe worse

On 3/14/2017 at 6:13 PM, MyFavoriteMartin28 said:

So this scout by trade has been unsuccessful in building a solid roster. By all means, let him be the one to choose a head coach, which should be even less up his alley. 

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So this scout by trade has been unsuccessful in building a solid roster. By all means, let him be the one to choose a head coach, which should be even less up his alley. 

At this point, I'd trust Mac a lot more than Woody, with Casserly's help or not, to make the choice.  

23 hours ago, thadude said:

Mac doesn't luck into getting Marshall for a 5th in 2015 his win/loss record after two seasons is just as bad as Idzik probably worse

Mac's draft record is equally terrible.  Mac got Leonard Williams, Idzik got Enunwa who is just as valuable at a much later round

Macc also got Jordan Jenkins, high rated by PFF, Brandon Shell, Deon Simon, Charone Peake. All have flashed potential on the field. Who did IDzik draft that flashed potential?

Why do people keep listing Charone Peake as some kind of asset?  For his career he has 0 TD, and 19 for 186.  Guys have had more catches than that in a single game.  His career yardage total is 50 short of even making the top-50 list for most yards in a single game.  He was beaten out by two UDFAs.  Peake shows some potential, but you can't get too excited with Maccagnan when he spent 2 draft picks on WRs and they are both behind an Idzik 6th and 2 UDFAs.  

I have not been as impressed with Jordan Jenkins as PFF.  I am not sure how highly he rated.  I know they graded him positively and 2nd among EDGE rookies behind Bosa, but I don't know how well they actually rated him.  He was supposed to be a starter ready guy with limited upside, so I wouldn't expect too much improvement going forward.  I certainly have not been particularly impressed with Mauldin or Lee.  

Brandon Shell?  I guess we will find out.  Deon Simon? Same.  Those guys both only played about 200 snaps.  They are far from known commodities. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do people keep listing Charone Peake as some kind of asset?  For his career he has 0 TD, and 19 for 186.  Guys have had more catches than that in a single game.  His career yardage total is 50 short of even making the top-50 list for most yards in a single game.  He was beaten out by two UDFAs.  Peake shows some potential, but you can't get too excited with Maccagnan when he spent 2 draft picks on WRs and they are both behind an Idzik 6th and 2 UDFAs.  

I have not been as impressed with Jordan Jenkins as PFF.  I am not sure how highly he rated.  I know they graded him positively and 2nd among EDGE rookies behind Bosa, but I don't know how well they actually rated him.  He was supposed to be a starter ready guy with limited upside, so I wouldn't expect too much improvement going forward.  I certainly have not been particularly impressed with Mauldin or Lee.  

Brandon Shell?  I guess we will find out.  Deon Simon? Same.  Those guys both only played about 200 snaps.  They are far from known commodities. 

But they all flashed potential!

*EDIT: He actually used 4 draft picks on WR.  Can't complain too much about the Marshall pick.  Good year/bad year, no dead money, but a 2nd on Smith, a 5th on Marshall, what equates to a late 5th on DeVier Posey, a 7th on Peake and the Jets don't have much to show.   Guys that were available in the 5th after the Marshall pick and where the value for Posey was include Stefon Diggs, Kenny Bell, JJ Nelson, and Tony Lippett who played WR at Michigan St. but starts at CB for the Dolphins.  We are desperate for at TE?  MyKole Pruitt, Jesse James, CJ Uzomah and Nick O'Leary.  Defense?  I was interested in Davis Tull and Max Valles who didn't work out, but DJ Alexander did.  So did Jay Ajayi. We burned the 5th we did have on Jarvis Harrison, but there was talent there and we don't have much to show for our investment.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

0 TDs?  Um, excuse me, do you not remember Peake's amazing fumble recovery TD?  Clearly a future HOFer.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Macc also got Jordan Jenkins, high rated by PFF, Brandon Shell, Deon Simon, Charone Peake. All have flashed potential on the field. Who did IDzik draft that flashed potential?

Geno fllashed his.... oops, wrong thread. Sorry.:D

On March 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

Jenkins hasn't done sh-t

Simon is a JAG

And Shell might be as good as Winters

Wow, what an amazing draft record

Just now, thadude said:

Jenkins hasn't done sh-t

Simon is a JAG

And Shell might be as good as Winters

Wow, what an amazing draft record

Jenkins was rated as a great edge defender at LB by PFF. 

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/10/pff-jets-olb-jordan-jenkins-graded-well-as-a-rookie/

If Shell is as good as Winters, that's a very good sign.

Simon is the one you can easily pick on, but I think he can be good

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Pro Football Focus is a crappy. com? ha ha....ok

So you're happy he is a welfare mom's version of Bryan Thomas

Jenkins didn't show a semblance of being a semi-capable pass rusher last year

Archived