So,just out of Curosity

Tinstar

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The teams that are a threat to us for top pick and taking a QB are the 49ers, Bills, Saints, Chargers, Cardinals, Browns and Bears.

We currently have the worst QB situation in the league, so there's reason to hope.

In terms of being REALLY bad, I have to think 49ers and Browns are the most likely candidates on that list. The rest still strike me as being 5-7 win type teams.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The teams that are a threat to us for top pick and taking a QB are the 49ers, Bills, Saints, Chargers, Cardinals, Browns and Bears.

We currently have the worst QB situation in the league, so there's reason to hope.

Our secondary is going to be particularly bad as well, quite possibly the worst in the league. Compound that with the former and it means we won't be able to pass the ball or stop the pass. That's the best recipe for going 1-15 by a mile.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

None, NFL players don't tank games.

People who think we're going to intentionally tank are in for a rude surprise.

The Browns players didn't intentionally tank.  Those kids played hard.  The front office built a roster that was going to tank regardless.  Hence, 1-15.

Hopefully, that is what the Jets are doing.  Cutler would be the stupidest thing they could do.

Do you really not understand that?

Tanking doesn't guarantee anything. Sam could get a major injury next season, regress majorly, fail a drug test, get in trouble with the law, or flat out be a bust. The same holds true for any of the top rated QB's. The cheater was a 6th round pick and Favre a 2nd rounder, and Marino wasn't the 1st overall choice. It's just silly all of this tanking talk. What is needed is good scouts that can identify talent.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

The Browns players didn't intentionally tank.  Those kids played hard.  The front office built a roster that was going to tank regardless.  Hence, 1-15.

Hopefully, that is what the Jets are doing.  Cutler would be the stupidest thing they could do.

Do you really not understand that?

If you read the forum, you'd know exactly where I stand on Cutler and our current rebuild.

Read some, then see if you really need to ask that question.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Our secondary is going to be particularly bad as well, quite possibly the worst in the league. Compound that with the former and it means we won't be able to pass the ball or stop the pass. That's the best recipe for going 1-15 by a mile.

But we have all world head coaching and he will lead us to a winning record, and should be extended through 2050.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The 49ers just signed Hoyer and Barkley, both who played for the Browns last year and were bad enough to motivate them to outbid themselves to pay Glennon like he's Tom Brady.

I'd rather have Petty and Hack on their rookie deals than know that my team just doled out two contracts for those scrubs.

So... 2nd worst? LOL

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Really depends. Assuming the Jets cut Revis and Gilchrist, maybe even Skrine... 

If the Jets end up signing Claiborne on a 'prove it' deal, draft a guy like Hooker and a CB in the 3rd, and if Burris takes the next step and solidifies himself as the #2, we will end up with a young, talented secondary that will be considerably better than what we had last year. Not saying it will be dominant and not saying all of this will happen. I'm just saying it's early to assume anything. 

Claiborne, Burris, Roberts, rookie, Pryor, Hooker, Middleton, Miles. None of these guys are proven or 'shut down' CBs but there's a lot of potential here.

I'm a glass half full type of Jet fan. I don't assume the worst.   

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lol, yeah but the GM can build a team without enough talent to compete. So while the players don't tank, the organization can tank. 

When the colts lost Manning to injury they didn't panic and trade for a stop gap. They let the team tank and got luck. 

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Remind me again, who are we tanking for?

This ^^^^

Seriously, players don't tank...especially young players. Coaches most certainly don't tank. And GMs who set their teams up to fail typically get canned.

All of this tanking talk is moronic. Please stop.

Furthermore, I second the statement above...who exactly are we tanking for??? How can ANYONE assume Darnold will be a legit Franchise QB, will be available to Jets, will decide to enter the draft in 2018, won't have an awful injury, etc. etc. etc.

Look, I get it, next year there are SUPPOSED to be a number of great QB prospects in the draft. If the Jets have a high pick, they will have a shot at one of them. I get it. But you can't ASSUME anything. And nobody is tanking. If it jut so happens the Jets have an awful season and are in position to grab a great QB prospect, I'm all for it. But any talk of that now is ludicrous.   

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you read the forum, you'd know exactly where I stand on Cutler and our current rebuild.

Read some, then see if you really need to ask that question.

My bad.  I have posted the exact same thing above to others... 

38 minutes ago, section314 said:

Remind me again, who are we tanking for?

Sam Darnold or another QB that emerges as the top talent (Josh Rosen) or an elite pass rusher or an elite LT. We can go that route or build a really average team that goes 7-9 for the next few years and just cross our fingers that a franchise QB will fall in our lap despite 40 years of evidence proving that QBs never fall into our lap. 

I am a proactive kind of guy. I am going to do whatever it takes to get Darnold. If he gets hurt, stays in school or falls apart I am ok with the worst case scenario of getting next years Myles Jarrett. Next years draft is also much stronger for offensive lineman. 

Don't get me wrong, I hope Petty or Hack (or a rookie from this years class) develop into a franchise QB for us, I am just not going to rely on a miracle. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Reality. ^

40 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Is this contagious and if so, could you spread it around ? 

Impossible.

I agree, we won't lose intentionally.  We're going to lose because we have inferior players, coaches, front office, and owner than the rest of the league.

Does anyone actually think the players aren't going to try?

The argument is that this is one of the worst rosters in the league and there is no sense in signing a Jay Cutler or trading away draft picks for something that projects to take us from a 1-3 win team to a 4-6 win team, unless the player you're acquiring is going to be impactful for more than just the next 1-2 years.

By doing so, you play your young guys, and set yourself up for the future.  Win-Win.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

They're cutting half the team. They aren't signing a vet QB, no matter how cheap they can be gotten for. None of the QBs in the upcoming draft are worth a warm bucket of spit, so they'll wind up throwing Hackenpetty out to the wolves. 

They won't tank. They'll try really, really hard. The whole team will. But they'll suck so bad it won't matter. 

Next years draft is the ******* lottery. Everyone knows it.  If the Browns are stupid enough to be compiling all of these picks for some pu$$y second rounder out of Eastern Illinois who looks good in the Pats system, then they deserve to suck forever....

I think they're stockpiling for next year, and will do everything to ensure they have the opportunity to draft a true blue chip QB. 

Hopefully, the Jets understand this, and realize that the only way to break the cycle is to out-Brown the Browns. Develop the line, get a few young, talented skill guys for the offense and prepare for Darnold.

4 hours ago, RSJ said:

I dont like the idea of a team tanking in the NFL. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense. 

It does, if you're sure about the top of next year's draft and you know that your team isn't equipped to win this year.

The players don't tank, the management does it and we're on our way.   All the other sh*tty teams have improved themselves so far in free agency except us and the Rams, and we got a lot worse with our cuts.  It's happening.

The Colts management tanked for Luck.   The Bucs management and coaches tanked for Winston in the last game of the 2014 season.   Wanna see a tank?  The Bucs coaching staff pulled most of their starters with a 13 point lead at halftime.  They played special teams scrubs that hadn't played a regular down all season.  The Saints outscored them 16-0 to give the Bucs the first overall pick. 

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-say-they-didnt-tank-for-no-1-overall-pick/2211704

5 hours ago, dcJet said:

The players don't tank, the management does it and we're on our way.   All the other sh*tty teams have improved themselves so far in free agency except us and the Rams, and we got a lot worse with our cuts.  It's happening.

The Colts management tanked for Luck.   The Bucs management and coaches tanked for Winston in the last game of the 2014 season.   Wanna see a tank?  The Bucs coaching staff pulled most of their starters with a 13 point lead at halftime.  They played special teams scrubs that hadn't played a regular down all season.  The Saints outscored them 16-0 to give the Bucs the first overall pick. 

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-say-they-didnt-tank-for-no-1-overall-pick/2211704

I beg to differ . Show me the player we cut that was worth keeping based on their play the last 2 years ?

15 hours ago, Pcola said:

I agree, we won't lose intentionally.  We're going to lose because we have inferior players, coaches, front office, and owner than the rest of the league.

Sadly, this. We will be sporting a college team this year. And not even the best college team. The Pats are gearing up to crush the division and we're wondering if our QB will be Jay Cutler coming off injury with a bad attitude, or Hack, who hasn't seen the field. I'd probably go with Cutler, since at least he's a professional QB, but he won't save us from being the worst or near worst team in the NFL.

IMO, the Jets will be better, or at the very least no worse, in 2017 then they were in 2016.  First off every veteran they've cut so far did nothing last season, so it's addition by subtraction. Secondly no matter who is at QB, odds are, it will be better than the sh*t job Fitz did last season.  

6 hours ago, dcJet said:

Yup, the Colts "management" also got themselves intentionally fired. Bill Polian, CHRIS Polian (those devious Polian's) and Jim Caldwell all were in on the awesome awesome scheme wherein they got Jim Irsay his Andrew Luck but unfortunately had to lose their jobs in the process while there was a litany of Hall of Fame quarterbacks to be had via August trade that would have kept them at their incredible 10-6 Peyton Manning level for another year. You know, that awesome roster that was 6-6 until they played the Titans twice, the Jaguars and the Raiders, squeaking by those juggernauts in three of those four games WITH Peyton Manning. There was also a complete, intact Hall of Fame secondary to be had that would have kept them from giving up a 71 percent completion percentage to opposing quarterbacks. And they sat on their hands. All for Irsay.

If Sam Darnold becomes the next Andrew Luck, and he is on our team next year, someone will have lost their job. All for Woody.

Archived