Jets Sign Offensive Tackle Kelvin Beachum

JetNation

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dbatesman said:

So either Maccagnan's handpicked RT can't beat out Ben Ijalana, or he's paying $5.5 million for a swing tackle. That's good GMing!

Ijalana is a good RT. It's at LT where he sucks. If anything Ijalana is Macc's handpicked RT bc he got paid.

Shell is a potential future starter which he showed promise at last year.

Besides, given the way money's been thrown around by teams and at OL, 5.5m for a swing tackle might be in market value

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think he will be fighting with Shell for RT job. 

Ijalana will win that going away. He was solid at RT last season but struggled mightily at LT. The only reason Shell looked decent at RT was that he was receiving help on nearly all of the plays. 

3 years 24 million with 12 guaranteed is a solid prove it deal and doesn't stop them from drafting one this year or next. As a matter of fact they should. Also, aren't those the numbers they offered Fitz last season?

49 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's frustrating reading these boards and seeing most repeat verbatim what every so call expert who just happen to have a forum dispels as his truth about these prospects only to change their opinions later due to something that has absolutely nothing that occurs on the football field during an actual game .  A kid goes out on the football field, masters the scheme he's given at the highest level and is downgraded due to some opinion .

Folks, watch the games if you can, formulate your own opinions and project those opinions base on what you know .

A blind man can listen to a broadcast of a cardinal game and tell you that McCaffrey is a special player with the Football .  Anyone who has ever led can see the leadership abilities of a player like Watson .  If you have ever paid attention to certain positions, you notice traits that exist between certain players that align with former great players. 

Numbers don't show these attributes, and if they did, certain guys  would never be drafted and others would . A small example of this is the careers of 2 NFL players . Wayne Chrebet and Marcus colston  who both played football at a small town college that I'm not sure even has a football program anymore . When Chrebet was at Hostra, he led the nation in catches and displayed hands like glue . If the ball was near him, it didn't hit the ground, yet this kid was considered not good enough to even warrant a draft pick  due to his size and speed . When he left, Marcus Colston displaying the same sure handedness of his predecessor, broke every record or almost every record Chrebet left at the same school. Despite having ideal size and above average speed he was passed over time and time again by the so- call experts .

Football is about what happens on the field and how well you can execute what you're being taught . When you excel at what you're supposed to do, why are you then questioned moving forward .  It takes a love for what you do, a desire to be the best at what you do and the willingness to be taught how to do it . That's what you look for in a draft pick, not how fast they run or how high they jump . When the 1st 3  meet the last 2, you end up with a HOF player .   

End sermon

That is all . 

I think what you're saying here is that we should only draft players out of Hofstra.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ijalana will win that going away. He was solid at RT last season but struggled mightily at LT. The only reason Shell looked decent at RT was that he was receiving help on nearly all of the plays. 

3 years 24 million with 12 guaranteed is a solid prove it deal and doesn't stop them from drafting one this year or next. As a matter of fact they should. Also, aren't those the numbers they offered Fitz last season?

If they are it just shows how the market has blown up

This is an OL depth signing.  It is the right idea, and a necessary move. Modest OL shopping was one of the few fraud agency moves I advocated for.  They probably overpaid at 8M per year, but a tolerable amount for a LT.  He is also smallish for a LT so maybe he could play inside in a pinch too, or if they draft a better player.

But let's not pretend that this guy is a long-term answer and all of a sudden the OL is a juggernaut. 

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So Ijalana is a 5.5 mill a year backup eh?

I think they are bringing in just enough players to compete and whoever performs the best is the starter. Obviously, it would be great if they could sign a 27 year old pro bowl LT, but there weren't too many of those available so they are improvising with young players. 

Beachum is a massive man.  He would frequent the beach bars in Jax Beach.  Nice guy too.

Not sure how good he is though.  The Jags had an awful OL.  They promoted their OL coach to HC and instead of retaining Beachum they traded for Brandon Albert. 

Could be coming off an injury held him back like Big Mo.  

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

So either Maccagnan's handpicked RT can't beat out Ben Ijalana, or he's paying $5.5 million for a swing tackle. That's good GMing!

What exact part of this bothers you the most . 

The Job a GM you don't like is doing

The Money these guys are making

The fact that you can't believe you're not in their shoes

The enjoyment you can't get out of trolling  

I'm a God fearing person, but there are some of you on this board that put thought in my head that I thank God he covers me about .

16 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He will probably start at RT.. Capertenter and Winters at guard and Johnson at Center.. 

starting line barring anything major 

Beachum- Winters- Johnson- Carpenter - Ijalana

Could you IMAGINE our former POWER RB Khiry Robinson behind a line like that? Hello D'Onta Foreman in the 5th round

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think he will be fighting with Shell for RT job. 

I'm hoping Shell has the work ethic along with his pedigree to become a stud RT, similar to other family names like Mathews or Longs. While the Jets are revamping this Oline, they do have a group of maulers. On paper with some experience this could be a damn solid offensive line, not great but above average. 

If Mo comes back healthy & hungry the Jets are sure to have a very tough Dline with Mo, Leo, Simon & an edge rusher from the 2017 draft, plus a couple of young guys that got hurt last year. If you can be solid on both offensive & defensive lines you've got a chance. 

All three of these tackles will play meaningful time.  Someone will get hurt or have bad games.  

The one position to invest FA money during a rebuild is the OL, because without an OL the other offensive positions do not development.  

I agree with all of this.   Look for a developmental LT-we have LTs. Question is whether e draft a C.   I would say yes in first three rounds. 

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

All three of these tackles will play meaningful time.  Someone will get hurt or have bad games.  

The one position to invest FA money during a rebuild is the OL, because without an OL the other offensive positions do not development.  

I agree with all of this.   Look for a developmental LT-we have LTs. Question is whether e draft a C.   I would say yes in first three rounds. 

We just let Mangold go so obviously the Jets saw enough from Wesley Johnson to feel confident in his abilities. Everyone looks to that one play last year that got Petty crushed but other than that play he seemed to hold up really well. The Pats have had like 7 different centers over the last 15 years. Yes, I could see them drafting a Center for depth but no way in hell im drafting a center with our 3rd rounder. We need to fix our secondary with those picks, or TE, or RB, Safety?

I always go back to when we had Johnathon Goodwin & we just let him go to New Orleans where he was their center for a good while & even won a Super Bowl starting at center for them. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

so here is a 19 page thread on beachum from a jags board.  it seems like they wanted to keep him. its amazing they are still discussing beachum on page 19 and not former jags QB's, lol

https://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/22286-beachum/?hl=beachum

I am encouraged

apparently he has a mean streak, so that is cool

Can't say I really know much about the guy, but the Jag's fans really seemed to want to keep him @ 4-40.  Year away from a blown knee, 3-24 seems like an excellent deal if he knee is OK

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

What exact part of this bothers you the most . 

The Job a GM you don't like is doing

The Money these guys are making

The fact that you can't believe you're not in their shoes

The enjoyment you can't get out of trolling  

I'm a God fearing person, but there are some of you on this board that put thought in my head that I thank God he covers me about .

All of the above to one degree or another, but mostly it's my crippling feelings of sexual inadequacy

The Winters, Ijalana and Beachum signings continue a trend for Maccagnan of targeting one positional group early in free agency.  

In 2015, Skrine, Revis and Cromartie were all signed by the 3rd day of free agency.  In 2016, the Jets signed Forte, Powell and Robinson within the first 3 days of free agency.    

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I wonder how much of our cap is now dedicated to the OL as compared to 2 years ago.  Hopefully this guy and Mo Wilk see a big jump in performance from last year.  2 big power guys that lost an offseason last year.

According to overthecap.com

2013 -  $21,528,632 (10th in the league / approximately 38% of offensive spending / 22% of total spending)

2014 -  $27,006,154  (3rd in the league / approximately 47% of offensive spending / 29% of total spending)

2015 -  $33,201,673 (1st in the league / approximately 47% of offensive spending / 23% of total spending)

2016 -  $27,906,184 (7th in the league / approximately 42% of offensive spending / 20% of total spending)

2017* -   $26,225,138 (17th ? in the league / approximately 45% of offensive spending / 19% of total spending) as of the Beachum signing

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

They are considered deep when there are so many starting caliber prospects at a position group that they can't all be picked in R1, when there are an inordinate amount of position groups that fit that description, and/or when there is blue chip talent (or elite) available outside the top 5-8 draft spots.

This draft has been described all 3 ways, in everything I've read. Also described as particularly weak at OL. 

Given our amount of needs, maxing our picks on deep position groups makes the most out of the late picks. Meaning a 3rd round CB this year is going to be better than usual, while a 3rd round OT is going to be worse than usual because that position group is weak.

No doubt. But there are blue chip NFL players that came out in drafts where their positions were considered thin. Thin doesn't necessarily mean barren, and we may find there are 2-3 really good LTs that came out of this draft. In fairness, we may also find there were none. Also I'm probably like you in that I rely upon others to tell me who are the good and bad prospects coming out of school since I don't watch these guys week in week out (or really, at all until their postseason). That said, these advisors and experts are wrong as often as they are right.

I just don't think we're going to be serious contenders this year so I'd plan out filling needs in a way where I'm looking beyond this upcoming year. If there's a good LT or OG prospect - even if the overall class itself is considered weak - I'd hate to think we passed on a long-term above average lineman because we filled that hole already. For all the "he always goes BAP" fawning, I doubt he touches any G or T prior to round 5 at the earliest, even if one would be the BAP at that time.

Time will tell.

I'm so glad they signed Beachum. I really want an offensive stud in this draft as I'm looking at 2017 & 2018 drafts to get this team back in the game.

Im really hoping for Williams, Fournette or Howard. I honestly think OJ Howard would help in more ways than Williams or Fournette. With a young QB you need to protect him so if ASJ pans out they could run some 2 tight end sets to create some matchup problems & give big targets considering Decker & Enunwa are good sized WRs with speed. 

If we trade Sheldon for a 3rd & end up with three 3rd rounders, I'm really leaning towards Howard & grabbing a young stud RB in the 2nd round if someone drops. Use those 3 thirds to help the secondary. Surround Hackenberg with talent so we can see what we have. 

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm so glad they signed Beachum. I really want an offensive stud in this draft as I'm looking at 2017 & 2018 drafts to get this team back in the game.

Im really hoping for Williams, Fournette or Howard. I honestly think OJ Howard would help in more ways than Williams or Fournette. With a young QB you need to protect him so if ASJ pans out they could run some 2 tight end sets to create some matchup problems & give big targets considering Decker & Enunwa are good sized WRs with speed. 

If we trade Sheldon for a 3rd & end up with three 3rd rounders, I'm really leaning towards Howard & grabbing a young stud RB in the 2nd round if someone drops. Use those 3 thirds to help the secondary. Surround Hackenberg with talent so we can see what we have. 

What if you could get Watson in the 1st, Mixon in the 2nd and use the rest of your draft picks on the secondary and offensive and defensive depth .

23 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What if you could get Watson in the 1st, Mixon in the 2nd and use the rest of your draft picks on the secondary and offensive and defensive depth .

If Macc takes Watson in the 1st he's saying Hack was a mistake ( or hedging his bet?) But if he does take him it tells me he's man enough to put his ego aside & do what's best for the Jets.

What I like about Watson is that he rose to the occasion twice vs what people consider almost an NFL defense in Alabama. The draft is gonna be interesting. I think OJ Howard is gonna be special. 

55 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This has actually been a pretty straightforward, solid rebuilding offseason so far. Very un-Jets like 

I'm still in shock that they didn't make that big splash signing of a QB that we do not need.  I'm impressed and actually hopeful.

Archived