Kizer in rd 2 instead of signing Cutler

thadude

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kizer in 2nd feels a lot like Hack in 2nd.  Flawed prospect you don't feel strongly enough about to go big on so you hedge your bet and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.  The problem is, you can't do it three times in three years.  You need a year off to have a vet on the roster, or you're giving up on Petty or Hack.  if I'm giving up on either one, it should be because I think I've got a guy who can make me forget them.  That says 1st round or forget about it. to me.  You want Watson or Trubisky and are willing to cut Petty for that, okay.  But taking Kizer in the 2nd to drop Petty...not so much.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Kizer in 2nd feels a lot like Hack in 2nd.  Flawed prospect you don't feel strongly enough about to go big on so you hedge your bet and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.  The problem is, you can't do it three times in three years.  You need a year off to have a vet on the roster, or you're giving up on Petty or Hack.  if I'm giving up on either one, it should be because I think I've got a guy who can make me forget them.  That says 1st round or forget about it. to me.  You want Watson or Trubisky and are willing to cut Petty for that, okay.  But taking Kizer in the 2nd to drop Petty...not so much.

Kizer is a much better prospect with far more upside than Hack. I doubt he even makes it to round two. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Kizer is a much better prospect with far more upside than Hack. I doubt he even makes it to round two. 

Supposedly he and Trunisky didn't look good at their workouts in the combine.  Watson killed it

I'm concerned the Bears won't pass on Kizer with their 2nd. That would be two good qb's those @sswipes steal from us in 1 offseason

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So if we draft him, you're okay with cutting Hack or Petty?  It would be one thing if we took a guy in the top-10 to do that, but taking a guy in the 2nd to cut another guy we took in the 2nd last year feels like a shell game.

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So if we draft him, you're okay with cutting Hack or Petty?  It would be one thing if we took a guy in the top-10 to do that, but taking a guy in the 2nd to cut another guy we took in the 2nd last year feels like a shell game.

Why can't they keep three QBs?

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why can't they keep three QBs?

Three QBs who have almost no starting experience between them.  Two of them would have zero game experience and Petty barely has any.  I can't see any team, even one that is visibly tanking, go into a season with that lineup of QBs.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Three QBs who have almost no starting experience between them.  Two of them would have zero game experience and Petty barely has any.  I can't see any team, even one that is visibly tanking, go into a season with that lineup of QBs.

If they draft a QB in this draft, it will be late (Webb?) and it will be to take Hack's roster spot.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

If they draft a QB in this draft, it will be late (Webb?) and it will be to take Hack's roster spot.

That's my point.  If they took Watson or Trubisky at #6 to take Hack's (or Petty's spot) that's one thing (barely).  But to take a late-rounder QB and cut Hack would be career suicide for Macc.  I see no possibility of him doing that.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's my point.  If they took Watson or Trubisky at #6 to take Hack's (or Petty's spot) that's one thing (barely).  But to take a late-rounder QB and cut Hack would be career suicide for Macc.  I see no possibility of him doing that.

Based on how this off season is going, I'm assuming Macc got permission to have a 2 win roster.  If that's not gonna be career suicide (in year 3 of your contract) than moving on from a mistake and not forcing it to cost you a roster spot for 3 years, cap space for three years, or prevent you from drafting a prospect on day three with exponentially more upside that Hack, shouldn't be a fireable offense.

Again, making another assumption that Woody has seen this guy practice and already knows it was a terrible pick.

That scenario will be a huge test for our front office.  I mused a while back that one of these top 4 rated qbs will fall to the jets in the 2nd round, will they have the balls to make that pick.  It will tell me a lot about mac on how he handles that scenario

On March 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM, nycdan said:

I'd be ok with cutting Hack today

On March 12, 2017 at 1:46 AM, nycdan said:

How much starting experience did Prescott and Wentz have before last September 

Cutler has experience- bad experience 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That scenario will be a huge test for our front office.  I mused a while back that one of these top 4 rated qbs will fall to the jets in the 2nd round, will they have the balls to make that pick.  It will tell me a lot about mac on how he handles that scenario

If we're supposedly going with a "youth movement" they have to draft a qb this year 

Petty is a JAG and Hack has been a miserable waste of time.  There is no point signing Cutler if we are supposedly rebuilding 

Mac's only hope is draft guys who are effective and productive right away -- not 5 years from now.  That means Mike Williams or OJ Howard at 6 and Kizer or Watson at 39

20 hours ago, Pcola said:

Based on how this off season is going, I'm assuming Macc got permission to have a 2 win roster.  If that's not gonna be career suicide (in year 3 of your contract) than moving on from a mistake and not forcing it to cost you a roster spot for 3 years, cap space for three years, or prevent you from drafting a prospect on day three with exponentially more upside that Hack, shouldn't be a fireable offense.

Again, making another assumption that Woody has seen this guy practice and already knows it was a terrible pick.

A 2  win roster gets Mac fired in January 

32 minutes ago, thadude said:

A 2  win roster gets Mac fired in January 

By the way he has operated this off season, I don't know that to be 100% accurate.  He thinks this is what needed to happen, I tend to agree with him.  But if there was any indication of another housecleaning after this season, they would have kept Marshall and Mangold, would have been more active in free agency (at least at the QB spot).  In fact, if they felt a pending termination, they would have been more competitive with the offer to Glennon or Hoyer.  

Not having a QB currently would have hurt us in attracting free agents at other positions.

Macc has not given up on Hack. It is ludicrous to assume that. 

I am going to predict right now that Macc signs Chase Daniel (now that the Eagles released him) to a bargain deal and the 3 QBs (Daniel, Hack, Petty) battle it out. I don't know if Hack will win out (I have no idea where he is in his development until at least training camp), but I HIGHLY doubt Jets take a QB in this draft- AT ALL.

The only way they do is if a QB slides and Macc simply goes with value- which probably will not happen b/c its such a weak draft for QBs. But if Mahomes (or someone like that) slides to the bottom of the 3rd round, I could see Macc picking him up.   

I know Jets fans don't want to see Daniel, Hack and Petty as the 3 QBs on the roster. But they will have to deal with it. And all 3 will be cheap, push each other for the starting gig, and most likely play a lot better than Fitz did this year.  

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Hack has been a miserable waste of time.

What do you base that on? Seems like a silly blanket statement about a player who has not even played a single meaningful NFL snap and has only been in the league for one season. Would you say Goff is also a miserable waste of time? Just curious how you justify that. 

Mac's only hope is draft guys who are effective and productive right away

That means Mike Williams or OJ Howard at 6 and Kizer or Watson at 39

How on god's green earth can you possibly assume Kizer or Watson are guys who will be 'effective and productive' right away?

Hack is a waste of time but Kizer or Watson will step right in and be 'effective and productive' right away? LMFAO. 

I'm a big Notre Dame fan but Kizer is not the type of prospect that can come to a team in rebuilding like us and prosper... he needs an established team to play on. We aren't it. We are going to suck for a season or 2 at least... i mean losing record, really bad... just come to terms with that... we aint winning now - that's a fact. They been trying to fix things with band aids for years and look where it has gotten us. 

9 hours ago, PepPep said:

What do you base that on? Seems like a silly blanket statement about a player who has not even played a single meaningful NFL snap and has only been in the league for one season. Would you say Goff is also a miserable waste of time? Just curious how you justify that. 

How on god's green earth can you possibly assume Kizer or Watson are guys who will be 'effective and productive' right away?

Hack is a waste of time but Kizer or Watson will step right in and be 'effective and productive' right away? LMFAO. 

You are chugging the kool-aid hard

37 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Didn't kizer look really bad at the combine and not really all so great on tape? From what I understand hackenberg he more nfl ready than kizer.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Brady had a bad combine too

Archived