Jump to content

For those focused solely on the re-build


AFJF
 Share

Recommended Posts

Overthecap.com has the Jets at $64.5 million under the cap next season.  Some of that will of course be eaten up with deals between now and then, but still plenty of room.  Could also jump significantly as Decker, Skrine, Gilchrist and McLendon combine for roughly $30 million and can be cut with little impact next season.  Hell, I don't think Gilchrist will even be on the roster this season.

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Overthecap.com has the Jets at $64.5 million under the cap next season.  Some of that will of course be eaten up with deals between now and then, but still plenty of room.  Could also jump significantly as Decker, Skrine, Gilchrist and McLendon combine for roughly $30 million and can be cut with little impact next season.  Hell, I don't think Gilchrist will even be on the roster this season.

 

 

I have no problem signing FA's as long as they are not on the downside of their careers. I'm tired of paying guys for what they have done and not what they will do. That's why I feel this draft is important. Gimme Deshaun Watson in the 1st and Mixon in round 2. Draft young fire-pissers with something to prove and chances are you won't go wrong. Make this team exciting and guys will want to come here. I'm tired of blah. Let's see emotion on the field not spoiled malcontents throwing tantrums on the sidelines or in the locker room.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2018 Macc cuts Decker & signs Jarvis Landry (Jets make up for Idzik not taking him & Tanny has Fins in cap hell), and we sign Ziggy Ansah to team up off the edge while Leo the Lion beasts inside.

So 2018 sees Landry, Enunwa, OJ Howard, Mixon, Anderson, Peake, and an entire 2018 draft coming up. And then my alarm clock goes off.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

2018 Macc cuts Decker & signs Jarvis Landry (Jets make up for Idzik not taking him & Tanny has Fins in cap hell), and we sign Ziggy Ansah to team up off the edge while Leo the Lion beasts inside.

So 2018 sees Landry, Enunwa, OJ Howard, Mixon, Anderson, Peake, and an entire 2018 draft coming up. And then my alarm clock goes off.

At least you'll have Malik Hooker coming back off of ACL surgery and a new QB coach that anonymously tells Manish that the reason Hackenberg sucks is because of "arm angle."

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I have no problem signing FA's as long as they are not on the downside of their careers. I'm tired of paying guys for what they have done and not what they will do. That's why I feel this draft is important. Gimme Deshaun Watson in the 1st and Mixon in round 2. Draft young fire-pissers with something to prove and chances are you won't go wrong. Make this team exciting and guys will want to come here. I'm tired of blah. Let's see emotion on the field not spoiled malcontents throwing tantrums on the sidelines or in the locker room.

I agree, it's time to go on the offensive! Offense @ 1 & offense @ 2. Deep CB, safety draft, do not make another Pryor/Milliner mistake. The Jets are so f*cking boring on offense it's ridiculous. They need to smarten up & take advantage of the new stupid rules where the defense can barely touch anyone. Let's get a young offense working together & we can use free agency to solidify some holes on defense in 2018 offseason if we miss on some 3rd round defensive secondary guys. I'm just dying to see a QB like Hack play action & takes some shots downtown or to the TE in the seam. 

Its part of the game I miss so much. Even though 2015 was exciting, Fitz flutter balls deep were not what I want to see, I want to see the type of downfield throws we saw from Favre in 2008. Or Kenny Obrien when he was throwing to Toon, Walker & Mickey Shuler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree, it's time to go on the offensive! Offense @ 1 & offense @ 2. Deep CB, safety draft, do not make another Pryor/Milliner mistake. The Jets are so f*cking boring on offense it's ridiculous. They need to smarten up & take advantage of the new stupid rules where the defense can barely touch anyone. Let's get a young offense working together & we can use free agency to solidify some holes on defense in 2018 offseason if we miss on some 3rd round defensive secondary guys. I'm just dying to see a QB like Hack play action & takes some shots downtown or to the TE in the seam. 

Its part of the game I miss so much. Even though 2015 was exciting, Fitz flutter balls deep were not what I want to see, I want to see the type of downfield throws we saw from Favre in 2008. Or Kenny Obrien when he was throwing to Toon, Walker & Mickey Shuler.

Do you think Howard is a good pick at #6? I like the idea of him being a Jet, just can't see us taking him that high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not focused on a rebuild even though that's what it looks like. I won't glorify in Ls hoping we'll get a slightly higher draft pick. Nope, I want as many Ws in 2017 as we can get. Even some of those Dbs who failed us big time last season have talent and with better coaching and a smarter scheme they can play well. Things could break for us you never know. There are always surprise teams so why not us. I will go out on a limb. We win more games than NEP in 2017;).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Do you think Howard is a good pick at #6? I like the idea of him being a Jet, just can't see us taking him that high.

Take a look what Jordan Reed did for Cousins. OJ Howard makes the TEs we've taken before like Becht, Brady, Amaro look like stiffs, lol. He can block, catch, has tremendous speed & power. I just think we need to take a stud offensive player. And I imagine coming out of this draft with Howard & Mixon. Unfortunately I think Titans take him at 5 for Mariota.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Take a look what Jordan Reed did for Cousins. OJ Howard makes the TEs we've taken before like Becht, Brady, Amaro look like stiffs, lol. He can block, catch, has tremendous speed & power. I just think we need to take a stud offensive player. And I imagine coming out of this draft with Howard & Mixon. Unfortunately I think Titans take him at 5 for Mariota.

Trade down to 12 and hope he is there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Take a look what Jordan Reed did for Cousins. OJ Howard makes the TEs we've taken before like Becht, Brady, Amaro look like stiffs, lol. He can block, catch, has tremendous speed & power. I just think we need to take a stud offensive player. And I imagine coming out of this draft with Howard & Mixon. Unfortunately I think Titans take him at 5 for Mariota.

WOW THIS KID IS A BEAST!!!!!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm all for tanking for darnold.

im exhausted. The 2016 team broke me. This summer will suck, and, as a jets fan, summer was the only happy time-full of false hope and false bravado. Summer was all we had.

 

as far as Howard? Meh..he looks good, even very good, but I really want Jamal Adams but all indications seem to be he'll be gone.

and, as Jetster posted, we HAVE ignored impact players on offense. I'm all for Dalvin Cook at 6...maybe a pick like that will resuscitate my August.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Running 2 TE formations with ASJ and OJ Howard would be lethal. 2 6'6 250 pounders with Robbie and Q stretching the field 

Howard is like a giant WR too, you could have him go in motion & move Decker back into the slot & force LBs or Safeties to get much wider than they like. Hand off to Mixon on play action. All kinds of good things happen when you have WRs that can block like Enunwa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'd take him at #6 may be a reach but we need to draft impact players and Howard is most definitely an impact player.

Let us see what Mike Williams runs on 3/16 - he already has the production..if he runs sub 4.5 he is the pick unless of course Fournette still there

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'd take him at #6 may be a reach but we need to draft impact players and Howard is most definitely an impact player.

It's much harder to find a stud TE than a stud RB, that's why I would go Howard over Fournette. They could go Mixon in the 2nd. Since we are rebuilding Jones who tore his ACL might drop to the end of the 3rd. He'll be able to roll full go in 2018. Ee specially if we trade Richardson & had 3 third rounders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It's much harder to find a stud TE than a stud RB, that's why I would go Howard over Fournette. They could go Mixon in the 2nd. Since we are rebuilding Jones who tore his ACL might drop to the end of the 3rd. He'll be able to roll full go in 2018. Ee specially if we trade Richardson & had 3 third rounders.

I'm all for going offense with the #6.  I think they need to help whoever the signal caller is whether it be Petty/Hackenberg or even Geno!  Getting them a stud RB/WR/TE would do wonders for the QB now that we have a decent looking offensive line.  Could be exciting.  I'm okay with a number of players at #6 Fournette, Williams, Cook, Howard...  My absolute dream scenario is where they go Hooker/Adams at #6 then grab Mixon in the second round and the best available CB with their early 3rd round pick and the best available TE with their pick at the end of the 3rd round.  With those four picks we've improved the offense and defense tremendously I think.  I'm excited!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

I'm still holding out hope that we lock up Q this year.  Leo is going to get paid.  I am of the few who wants to hold onto Sheldon.  Way way talented but I think he has some growing up to do.

imo the choice was wilk or sheldon and they chose wilk.  did they choose wrong?  maybe.  sheldon has a ton of talent and he's being used out of position.  and then with the drafting of leo, one of them has got to go.  there'd be just too much money tied up in the dline if they tried to keep all three.  it looks like shelly is the odd man out. hopefully they can get some good draft picks for him.

the point about the cap number is that it doesn't take much to drive the cap surplus to zero.  the jets went into this fa season with over 30 million.  just signing beachum knocked that down quite a bit. the top players all want 10 million plus no matter what their position.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

imo the choice was wilk or sheldon and they chose wilk.  did they choose wrong?  maybe.  sheldon has a ton of talent and he's being used out of position.  and then with the drafting of leo, one of them has got to go.  there'd be just too much money tied up in the dline if they tried to keep all three.  it looks like shelly is the odd man out. hopefully they can get some good draft picks for him.

the point about the cap number is that it doesn't take much to drive the cap surplus to zero.  the jets went into this fa season with over 30 million.  just signing beachum knocked that down quite a bit. the top players all want 10 million plus no matter what their position.

I really hope that at the very least they get a 3rd round pick which will give us 3 picks in the 3rd round.  That'll land us three studs in a deep draft if we play our cards right.  I can't wait for this draft.  It's such a big draft for the future of this franchise I've been watching way more tape than I should on potential draft picks.  Big big draft for the Jets franchise and I'm glad we're picking at the top of each round.  Except the fourth round of course

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...