Process Of Elimination Is Steering Us Right At Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because the majority of us aren't season ticket holders and we don't care about seeing an extra win or two live. Doesn't matter at all. Going 1-15 is better than going 4-12, which is pretty much the maximum amount of difference that Fitz makes on a roster this bereft of talent. 

how does signing Fitz to be a backup to mentor the pups translate to 3 extra wins?

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

But if Fitz is the best Fitz out there, why not just sign Fitz?

I still don't see any evidence of any locker room disruption by him at all.  That's discussion forum fake news used by MyHero's to support an argument that Geno Smith isn't that bad.

SAR I

Fitz isn't even close to being the best Qb available in free agency or trade

I wouldn't even consider him second tier of what is available -- and it's not like anyone even good is available now that Glennon is signed

Let me start by saying he's not my dream quarterback and I would much prefer him not on the Jets this year, but if you look at the situation somewhat objectively, look at the type of team we are going to be, and look at the type of veteran quarterback we're looking for, Ryan Fitzpatrick makes a lot of sense.
And when you look at the quarterbacks being locked up or courted, we're at the bottom of the barrel anyway, we're looking at guys who would either be disruptive because they are used to being on a high horse (Cutler, Kaepernick), harmful because they view themselves as abused and unloved (Geno, RGIII), useless because they've never shown anything and would be trying to overtake the young kids we are trying to groom as their last chance (Daniel, Barkley), or raw rookies who would not be suitable backups or mentors (Trubisky, Watson).
So where do we go from there?  Well, if you check the boxes on experience, age, mentoring, ability, and demeanor, you wind up at the doorstep of Ryan Fitzpatrick who, as an added bonus, knows both of our young quarterback prospects, has a rapport with them, and lives in New Jersey.
SAR I

b00663fae3a0c506cec5e226713c854e.jpgThats it, I'm quitting ur school

The premise that Fitzpatrick return is totally unrealisitc. IMO, the best signing would be Josh McCown.  While he will turn 38 this year, his signing would indicate a plan is in place and also some belief in Hackenberg and perhaps Petty.  He is also good enough to be insurance if niether Hackenberg or Petty are NFL ready.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not hold the team for ransom.

Mike Maccagnan was being cheap and blinked first.  The Jets could have gone with Geno Smith or a number of other potential starters.  They wanted Ryan, they had to pay his price.  He's a Harvard graduate with a net worth of $24M.  He doesn't need to play anymore unless it's worth his time.  And, by the way, he was only paid $3.3M the year before for a record-setting performance.  Look what Brock Osweiller got.  Look what Mike Glennon is set up for. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick cost us $7.5M a year for the two years he was here, that's ridiculously positive in the Jets favor.  The money argument regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick is laughable.  A reminder of the cash these players took home in our 5-11 2016 season:

$22.0M Muhammed Wilkerson
$17.0M Darrelle Revis
$9.5M Brandon Marshall
$7.5M David Harris
$6.5M Buster Skrine
$6.8M Darron Lee

I've got news for you:  Despite his brutal year last year, Ryan Fitzpatrick outperformed all of those bums.

SAR I

Justify it anyway you wish... FITZ has never sniffed a playoff game and we acted like he was the only game in town.   Typical JETS management.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The premise that Fitzpatrick return is totally unrealisitc. IMO, the best signing would be Josh McCown.  While he will turn 38 this year, his signing would indicate a plan is in place and also some belief in Hackenberg and perhaps Petty.  He is also good enough to be insurance if niether Hackenberg or Petty are NFL ready.  

McCown would be the diarrhea icing of a horrible jet offseason

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Justify it anyway you wish... FITZ has never sniffed a playoff game and we acted like he was the only game in town.   Typical JETS management.

We're seeing typical jets management this offseason and it will result in Fire Macagnan banners over Florham Park by early October

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

McCown would be the diarrhea icing of a horrible jet offseason

You have a way with words, LOL. My point is, his signing would indicate a belief in Hackenberg, who we used a 2nd round pick on last year! He only is 22 years old and this would indicate a belief that he is our QB of the future. 

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let me start by saying he's not my dream quarterback and I would much prefer him not on the Jets this year, but if you look at the situation somewhat objectively, look at the type of team we are going to be, and look at the type of veteran quarterback we're looking for, Ryan Fitzpatrick makes a lot of sense.

And when you look at the quarterbacks being locked up or courted, we're at the bottom of the barrel anyway, we're looking at guys who would either be disruptive because they are used to being on a high horse (Cutler, Kaepernick), harmful because they view themselves as abused and unloved (Geno, RGIII), useless because they've never shown anything and would be trying to overtake the young kids we are trying to groom as their last chance (Daniel, Barkley), or raw rookies who would not be suitable backups or mentors (Trubisky, Watson).

So where do we go from there?  Well, if you check the boxes on experience, age, mentoring, ability, and demeanor, you wind up at the doorstep of Ryan Fitzpatrick who, as an added bonus, knows both of our young quarterback prospects, has a rapport with them, and lives in New Jersey.

SAR I

LOCK DUMP BAN RAPE

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because the majority of us aren't season ticket holders and we don't care about seeing an extra win or two live. Doesn't matter at all. Going 1-15 is better than going 4-12, which is pretty much the maximum amount of difference that Fitz makes on a roster this bereft of talent. 

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

how does signing Fitz to be a backup to mentor the pups translate to 3 extra wins?

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because the evidence thus far suggests the pups suck and Fitz will be playing by week 8. 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Next season is going to be nauseating

I was going to comment on one of these replies but in this sequence they sort of speak for themselves.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

but Fitz sucks and cant win games

No one wants to hear this, but Fitzpatrick played well enough to win 8 games last year, with that tough schedule, without Decker, without Mangold, and that's right where the experts had us going in, better than me who had them at 6-10.

He won 4 games outright (Bills, Ravens, Browns, Bills), had 2 games won at the two minute warning before the D and ST's blew them (Bengals, Dolphins), and certainly would have beaten 2 more (Rams, 49ers).

Hate him all you want, but we had an 8 win quarterback on the roster last month, he's still out there if you're one of those who wants to eschew the full rebuild and go for a wildcard this season.

SAR I

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Come now, after a10-5 record, 31 touchdowns to high-flying WR's, and a 5 game winning streak in crunch time with huge OT wins against the Giants and Patriots in successive weeks in MetLife Stadium, how could you blame them?  Especially since there were no other FA's available. 

You know the only thing that would have been worse than going 5-11 with fans hating Fitzpatrick?  Going 2-14 with fans hating Petty.  You wouldn't have been happy either way.  There was no winning last year. 

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Come now, after a10-5 record, 31 touchdowns to high-flying WR's, and a 5 game winning streak in crunch time with huge OT wins against the Giants and Patriots in successive weeks in MetLife Stadium, how could you blame them?  Especially since there were no other FA's available. 

You know the only thing that would have been worse than going 5-11 with fans hating Fitzpatrick?  Going 2-14 with fans hating Petty.  You wouldn't have been happy either way.  There was no winning last year. 

SAR I

I do blame them...  I, and a small few here, were quite vocal.  There was no winning in 2016 agreed so why not start the rebuild?   Fitz at QB was a waste. We should have started Geno and gave Petty Reps and Hack or simply focused a bit on the QB position and draft God forbid Dak instead of "Mr Developmental"  Hack.

3 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have no business bringing in a QB they know for a fact cannot start, and Fitzpatrick is a guy they know can't start. At least Chase Daniel is a lottery ticket. 

Who couldn't beat out Alex Smith for the starting job in KC or a Div II rookie for the starting job in PHI despite Daniels' already knowing Pederson's offense...

11 minutes ago, August said:

For someone that "doesn't want Fitzpatrick back" you're sure as hell going out of your way to defend the idea of bringing him back. 

That's not my intent.

Forums, like Twitter, like Facebook, start to build these false narratives based on whoever has the loudest voice in the room and sometimes a timeout needs to be called to set the record straight.

"Fitzpatrick getting $12M is an outrage!"  Yeah, but we only paid him $3.2M for 31 touchdowns the year before.

"Fitzpatrick held the Jets hostage all summer!"  Yeah, but we got the 1 year deal we wanted, he bet on himself and lost.

"Fitzpatrick poisoned the locker room!"  Yeah, zero proof of that.  But continue to protect and coddle Revis and Marshall because that makes sense.

"Fitzpatrick played brutally last year!"  Yeah, but he still was good enough to get us to 8 wins and that's what the experts thought our ceiling was.

"Fitzpatrick threw the FO under the bus!"  Yeah, all he did was say they gave up on him.  Which is what the fans and the media were saying for months.

The first steps towards team improvement start with recognizing what happened and not some phony narrative that makes frustrated millennials feel better in their safe spaces.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I do blame them...  I, and a small few here, were quite vocal.  There was no winning in 2016 agreed so why not start the rebuild?   Fitz at QB was a waste. We should have started Geno and gave Petty Reps and Hack or simply focused a bit on the QB position and draft God forbid Dak instead of "Mr Developmental"  Hack.

I think the general belief in the FO was that the full rebuild was inevitable, but if we still had a bit of a win-now team and Fitzpatrick was still hot, why not give it a shot?  Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Folk, Fitzpatrick, Forte, one last hurrah wouldn't do much harm as we are only masturbating until Belichick and Brady retire anyway.

And we sort of rebuilt last year anyway.  With all the injuries and the benchings plenty of tomorrow's children got real world playing time.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's not my intent.

Forums, like Twitter, like Facebook, start to build these false narratives based on whoever has the loudest voice in the room and sometimes a timeout needs to be called to set the record straight.

"Fitzpatrick getting $12M is an outrage!"  Yeah, but we only paid him $3.2M for 31 touchdowns the year before.

"Fitzpatrick held the Jets hostage all summer!"  Yeah, but we got the 1 year deal we wanted, he bet on himself and lost.

"Fitzpatrick poisoned the locker room!"  Yeah, zero proof of that.  But continue to protect and coddle Revis and Marshall because that makes sense.

"Fitzpatrick played brutally last year!"  Yeah, but he still was good enough to get us to 8 wins and that's what the experts thought our ceiling was.

"Fitzpatrick threw the FO under the bus!"  Yeah, all he did was say they gave up on him.  Which is what the fans and the media were saying for months.

The first steps towards team improvement start with recognizing what happened and not some phony narrative that makes frustrated millennials feel better in their safe spaces.

SAR I

Alternative Facts 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You have a way with words, LOL. My point is, his signing would indicate a belief in Hackenberg, who we used a 2nd round pick on last year! He only is 22 years old and this would indicate a belief that he is our QB of the future. 

Chris Hackenberg sucks d-ck

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No one wants to hear this, but Fitzpatrick played well enough to win 8 games last year, with that tough schedule, without Decker, without Mangold, and that's right where the experts had us going in, better than me who had them at 6-10.

He won 4 games outright (Bills, Ravens, Browns, Bills), had 2 games won at the two minute warning before the D and ST's blew them (Bengals, Dolphins), and certainly would have beaten 2 more (Rams, 49ers).

Hate him all you want, but we had an 8 win quarterback on the roster last month, he's still out there if you're one of those who wants to eschew the full rebuild and go for a wildcard this season.

SAR I

right.  and if the ball bounced a different way a couple of times the jets may very well have won 10. there is no doubt that fitz wasn't the only jet who played bad.  i just think he was the lightning rod that got the mouths flapping.  it's not because of anything he felt or said.  imo it's all about geno taking his team back and causing bs when fitz signed in august.

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right.  and if the ball bounced a different way a couple of times the jets may very well have won 10. there is no doubt that fitz wasn't the only jet who played bad.  i just think he was the lightning rod that got the mouths flapping.  it's not because of anything he felt or said.  imo it's all about geno taking his team back and causing bs when fitz signed in august.

Curious thing, this unreasonably reactionary Jets fanbase.

They always blame the quarterback.  It wasn't always this way.  I guess with the character limit on Twitter it's just the easiest soundbyte.

Mark Sanchez was only a small part of the problem, takes the fall for Rex Ryan's absolute failure to deliver a Top 5 defense despite spending every FA dollar and every draft pick on the defensive side of the ball.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a career journeyman on his 7th team in 12 years, is brought in just to be a backup, is rushed into emergency duty, delivers a record of 14-12, sets the team record for TD's, and does this all for less than $7.5M a season, yet takes the fall for a crappy John Idzik team held together with crazy glue and duct tape allowed to implode by an awful Todd Bowles.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Curious thing, this unreasonably reactionary Jets fanbase.

They always blame the quarterback.  It wasn't always this way.  I guess with the character limit on Twitter it's just the easiest soundbyte.

Mark Sanchez was only a small part of the problem, takes the fall for Rex Ryan's absolute failure to deliver a Top 5 defense despite spending every FA dollar and every draft pick on the defensive side of the ball.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a career journeyman on his 7th team in 12 years, is brought in just to be a backup, is rushed into emergency duty, delivers a record of 14-12, sets the team record for TD's, and does this all for less than $7.5M a season, yet takes the fall for a crappy John Idzik team held together with crazy glue and duct tape.

SAR I

doesn't the qb always take the blame? people just don't seem to equate offensive productive with field position and think a qb who can maintain 80 yard drives is no good.  sure 80 yard drives are nice to see but the really successful guys are getting the ball with 40 or 50 yards for a td.  and they get it there because the defense does its job and stops the other team or the special teams do their jobs and cover punts. last season the jets were just tough to watch between a confused defense, lack of smart special teams play and marshall's drops.  add another pass receptions to marshall's total and they might have gotten 2 or 3 more wins.  it all matters.

as for the geno apologists, i swear he lost 3 games all by himself back in 2014 and that perfect qb rating in the last game was his way of saying fu to rex.  geno is one toxic pos and he wonders why his phone isn't ringing off the hook.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I was going to comment on one of these replies but in this sequence they sort of speak for themselves.

SAR I

Exactly. Just embrace the terrible. We're going to have 3 picks in the top 65 in 2018 with the trajectory we are on, and the expert draft bloggers tell me it's a good draft for quarterbacks, and those guys are never wrong. Stop trying to sabotage that so you can enjoy one extra meaningless win with your kids on some stupid Sunday in December. They are teenagers and don't like you very much right now anyways. Embrace that. 

Archived