QB Daniels was released and is now available

UnknownJetFan

QB Daniels was released and is now available. He is 30 and only 6 feet, but so was Flutie who was pretty darn good even in the NFL. If he doesn't want too much he may be worth a 2 year deal for some reasonable amount of $ that doesn't impact us much this year or next. He has very minimal exp. but hey he has got to be better than Cutler, or RGIII, and unless we make a trade for a MacCaron, Simien, or Savage, etc. Daniels may be the best we can get. We can still even drat a QB with our number 1 pick this year if we have one fall to use we like.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/chase-daniel-gets-his-wish/

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carl, we need competition for Petty/Hack in order to push them to be better and take the starting job. If they can't beat out Daniels he starts till one of them beats him out or someone else we bring in via the draft does. Bringing in a McCown or Cutler (both of which will most likely beat out the younglings due to much more exp.) probably just sets us back with no upside i.e they will win 5-7 or 8 games missing the playoffs and making us draft too low for any good QBs next year. If that occurs with Daniels it is ebtter then with the old retreads. I just think someone like Daniels has a little more upside and he wants a chance to start so why not give him the chance for a position that someday someone like him could come along and possibly resolve for us.

CMart, so can he be picked up on waivers with his current contract. Not sure it is worth the $ since he is due 7M the next 2 years, but if you gauge who might go after him and what they will pay him it is something to at least somewhat consider. The current contract he has probably has little gaurenteed if someone picks it up.

I honestly wonder why Philly didn't trade him?  Obviously, the Jets don't have a QB and if we had ANY interest in him at all, the could have squeezed a 2018 7th rounder, at a minimum.  

My guess is either Macc wasn't interested or maybe Daniels told Philly he wasn't going to come here.  Either way, I would be a little surprised if he ends up here based on what little information is out there.

30 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

CMart, so can he be picked up on waivers with his current contract. Not sure it is worth the $ since he is due 7M the next 2 years, but if you gauge who might go after him and what they will pay him it is something to at least somewhat consider. The current contract he has probably has little gaurenteed if someone picks it up.

I think it'll be similar to Revis situation with the offset language in the contract 

A whopping $5 million of his 2017 salary was fully guaranteed. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Daniel did not waive the guaranteed money. However, the guarantee contains offset language.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

QB Daniels was released and is now available. He is 30 and only 6 feet, but so was Flutie who was pretty darn good even in the NFL. If he doesn't want too much he may be worth a 2 year deal for some reasonable amount of $ that doesn't impact us much this year or next. He has very minimal exp. but hey he has got to be better than Cutler, or RGIII, and unless we make a trade for a MacCaron, Simien, or Savage, etc. Daniels may be the best we can get. We can still even drat a QB with our number 1 pick this year if we have one fall to use we like.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/chase-daniel-gets-his-wish/

He has thrown one touchdown pass in his career.

I really hope he isn't in the conversation to be our starting QB.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He has thrown one touchdown pass in his career.

I really hope he isn't in the conversation to be our starting QB.

This way you can root and cheer for the Jets every game.  We still get to draft Sam Darnoldson. I come to Sams first home game and give you nice foot massage as we watch pre game in the RV. Kinda perfect. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Perfect if he comes cheap. Throw him in the mix with the other two.

No reason he wouldn't; his Philly contract has a 5M guarantee with an offset, so unless anyone's offering him more than that, the salary won't matter to him

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Carl, we need competition for Petty/Hack in order to push them to be better and take the starting job. If they can't beat out Daniels he starts till one of them beats him out or someone else we bring in via the draft does. Bringing in a McCown or Cutler (both of which will most likely beat out the younglings due to much more exp.) probably just sets us back with no upside i.e they will win 5-7 or 8 games missing the playoffs and making us draft too low for any good QBs next year. If that occurs with Daniels it is ebtter then with the old retreads. I just think someone like Daniels has a little more upside and he wants a chance to start so why not give him the chance for a position that someday someone like him could come along and possibly resolve for us.

If the Jets need to sign someone to challenge these two young guys in order to push them to be better and take the job, then Hack and Petty aren't it and it's time to move on. What can a guy with 78 career passing attempts teach these guys besides stealing money? Everyone wants a chance to start, that shouldn't be a deciding factor into signing a vet QB. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets need to sign someone to challenge these two young guys in order to push them to be better and take the job, then Hack and Petty aren't it and it's time to move on. What can a guy with 78 career passing attempts teach these guys besides stealing money? Everyone wants a chance to start, that shouldn't be a deciding factor into signing a vet QB. 

Kind of agree with this. Hack and Petty have a golden chance to become a NFL franchise QB and the money that goes with it. If they need pushing for that then I too question their backbone. 

I wonder if there is some objective measurement about QB's needing mentors to grown. I suspect most of the current franchise QBs around simply got their by their own hard work and dedication. And didn't need a wet nurse.

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is almost pure naivety. 

Anothef QB's job isn't to make the current ones better. Not being studs in their 2nd and 3rd seasons doesn't mean they are lost causes that you give up on. They all play for money, not sure why fans think the business side of NFL is this un-pure dirty thing. 

24 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

What has he shown that would make me want to possibly stunt Hack's growth?

I don't think we should even bother signing a scrub like Chase Daniel but how would he being on the roster "stunt" fellow dud Havkenburgh's "growth?"

He just got dumped in favor of Nick Foles...  NICK FOLES.  The guy who got benched for Case Keenum.

If the Jets go into the season with Daniels, Petty and Hack we are officially the Washington Generals.

The point of a veteran backup QB is not for competition nor should he see the field except for in Preseason.

If the jets do sign Daniel or someone like him and they don't waste s draft pick in 1st 2 rounds of this draft then this is what will happen

The majority of snaps in training camp will go to the competition between Petty and Hack

By the third PS game we will have a good idea who will start season (my money is on Petty)

The vet will be named #2

The vet in this case is really important to say the least because he will help the young pup understand each week game plan in meetings, on practice field, and on the crapper.  During a game if starter gets hurt he jumps in knowing the game plan and not needing same reps...he went be very good but he is best chance to win.

If starter goes into slump then you play the loser of preseason and vet assumes backup sgsin and hopefully helps starter to be successful

A vet backup like this needs to be unselfish and not try to undermined the 2 pups for selfish reasons so he may be starter

This is why guys like geno will have s hard time ever getting a job.

Archived