QB Daniels was released and is now available

UnknownJetFan

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

He just got dumped in favor of Nick Foles...  NICK FOLES.  The guy who got benched for Case Keenum.

If the Jets go into the season with Daniels, Petty and Hack we are officially the Washington Generals.

If you can't keep your backup gig because Nick friggin Foles is available you must really blow

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

A vet backup like this needs to be unselfish and not try to undermined the 2 pups for selfish reasons so he may be starter

This is why guys like geno will have s hard time ever getting a job.

Wrong Jets QB..  that was Fitz last year who whined to the media and undermined the young guys.

Geno throwing his cap on the ground isn't the same as Fitz crying that the team gave up on him.  It's not even in the same galaxy.

50 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No reason he wouldn't; his Philly contract has a 5M guarantee with an offset, so unless anyone's offering him more than that, the salary won't matter to him

Then perfect. Kids another unknown. Be an honest to goodness starting QB competition. Not a favorite in sight. 

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

Wrong Jets QB..  that was Fitz last year who whined to the media and undermined the young guys.

Geno throwing his cap on the ground isn't the same as Fitz crying that the team gave up on him.  It's not even in the same galaxy.

Don't be butt hurt they are both gone now so you can heal

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)

3/13/17, 6:34 PM

Release of Daniels will show up on tomorrow's transactions. He'll be free to sign with another team on Tuesday after 4 pm ET.

And there were Clownz on this forum that wanted us to trade for him. All of these guys are backups for a reason. Teams don't keep franchise QBs on the bench that long. 

I don't want this clown or any other reject. Give me petty, hack and a rookie. 

36 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

The point of a veteran backup QB is not for competition nor should he see the field except for in Preseason.

If the jets do sign Daniel or someone like him and they don't waste s draft pick in 1st 2 rounds of this draft then this is what will happen

The majority of snaps in training camp will go to the competition between Petty and Hack

By the third PS game we will have a good idea who will start season (my money is on Petty)

The vet will be named #2

The vet in this case is really important to say the least because he will help the young pup understand each week game plan in meetings, on practice field, and on the crapper.  During a game if starter gets hurt he jumps in knowing the game plan and not needing same reps...he went be very good but he is best chance to win.

If starter goes into slump then you play the loser of preseason and vet assumes backup sgsin and hopefully helps starter to be successful

A vet backup like this needs to be unselfish and not try to undermined the 2 pups for selfish reasons so he may be starter

This is why guys like geno will have s hard time ever getting a job.

Bowles will play the guy that gives him the best chance to win. You put a quality vet, he will start him. 

Really the fundamental question here isn't Daniels vs. McCown vs. RG3 etc. It's do we need a veteran QB in the mix at all vs. drafting a QB and throwing him in the pool with Hack and Petty to see who floats.  If the scouts really like one of the QB's this year enough to draft him, why even bother with a JAG retread?

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Really the fundamental question here isn't Daniels vs. McCown vs. RG3 etc. It's do we need a veteran QB in the mix at all vs. drafting a QB and throwing him in the pool with Hack and Petty to see who floats.  If the scouts really like one of the QB's this year enough to draft him, why even bother with a JAG retread?

Exactly. They can bring in a retired QB to help teach the kids. No need to lock up a roster spot for a Jag QB that will tempt bowles.

Plus one of these free agent clowns will go into camp without a contract. We could sign them anytime if the situation calls for it. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles will play the guy that gives him the best chance to win. You put a quality vet, he will start him. 

Well exactly that is why I do not want cutler but I will make 1 more prediction

If by some remote chance they sign hightower I could see them trying to make a playoff run with cutler, hightower, Carr, and their future draft picks putting the Dev of Petty/Hack on hold.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

He just got dumped in favor of Nick Foles...  NICK FOLES.  The guy who got benched for Case Keenum.

If the Jets go into the season with Daniels, Petty and Hack we are officially the Washington Generals.

And the good news is, if the Jets go the "Washington Generals" route, for one season, they will  for the first time since they gave Joe Willy $4000,000, be in a position to draft a franchise changing QB.  There might even be 2 of them

No guarantees that both of these kids won't be a bust, but who knows, if given a legitimate chance,  maybe either Petty or Hack is the guy.  Both have NFL physicals tools.  

Roll the dice!

Petty has thrown more passes in 2 seasons than this guy has in 7 lol. His boy Doug Pederson just signed Foles as the backup isn't that telling? Pass. Petty/Hack and whoever you can get for 1yr 5mil or less

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets need to sign someone to challenge these two young guys in order to push them to be better and take the job, then Hack and Petty aren't it and it's time to move on. What can a guy with 78 career passing attempts teach these guys besides stealing money? Everyone wants a chance to start, that shouldn't be a deciding factor into signing a vet QB. 

Once again, you want the Jets to pick players, a QBs, by what another team thinks of that player.  

Logical.   

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

This way you can root and cheer for the Jets every game.  We still get to draft Sam Darnoldson. I come to Sams first home game and give you nice foot massage as we watch pre game in the RV. Kinda perfect. 

Wow. Wow. I don't know what bothers me more. The fact that you would suggest all that. Or the fact that I would be okay with 0 and 16, not for a new QB but for that foot rub lol.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I think that would make us the NJ Generals. And I heard that someone is working on making the Generals great again.

59 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And the good news is, if the Jets go the "Washington Generals" route, for one season, they will  for the first time since they gave Joe Willy $4000,000, be in a position to draft a franchise changing QB.  There might even be 2 of them

No guarantees that both of these kids won't be a bust, but who knows, if given a legitimate chance,  maybe either Petty or Hack is the guy.  Both have NFL physicals tools.  

Roll the dice!

The problem is Macc and Bowles are in no position to roll the dice.  They just came off a horrific season with a sleu of bad decision making.  Trotting out Petty, Hack, and a rookie is way too huge of a gamble for guys that want to keep their jobs.  Lets not forget that 10 weeks ago Bowles sat Petty back down for the worst QB in years and refused to let Hack even dress. There's no way they can justify to Woody not picking up a vet QB for insurance after basically screaming that don't have faith in the 2 on the roster.

So which vet do we sign?  I don't think Daniels is the guy given the fact he wouldn't even be the most experienced out of the 3.

So we're back to Cutler, Geno, and Kapernick.  The safest pick FOR MACC AND BOWLES from that bunch is the guy who's been on the roster the last couple years.

I honestly think he would have been resigned by now if not for the meathead mob who continues to berate a guy who's last full game ended with 335 yards, 3 TD's, and a perfect passer rating.

If Geno is as bad as they say he is then they should be pleading for him to be the starting QB.  Guarantees the # 1 overall which is something just about all of they swear they want.

I don't buy into these can't miss QB prospects anyway..  After Genos junior year I 100% remember people saying we should tank for him.

Since 1990 15 QB's have been taken #1 overall.  Guess how many have won a SB without the last name Manning?....  Zero.

6 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Carl, we need competition for Petty/Hack in order to push them to be better and take the starting job. If they can't beat out Daniels he starts till one of them beats him out or someone else we bring in via the draft does. Bringing in a McCown or Cutler (both of which will most likely beat out the younglings due to much more exp.) probably just sets us back with no upside i.e they will win 5-7 or 8 games missing the playoffs and making us draft too low for any good QBs next year. If that occurs with Daniels it is ebtter then with the old retreads. I just think someone like Daniels has a little more upside and he wants a chance to start so why not give him the chance for a position that someday someone like him could come along and possibly resolve for us.

It's almost like people forgot what happened the last time we had a young QB with no real competition that took all the reps.

Also, Carson Wentz said that Chase was an awesome guy to learn from and a more than helpful mentor last season.  He's learned from some great coaches and QBs, has experience with our new OC, and will likely come cheap.  It's a perfect fit for both parties.

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I kinda want to see Hackenburg play in 2017 just so MacCagnan has to field questions on how high he was when he drafted him in the 2nd round.

K.  I mean, it's pretty obvious that he's going to play so you'll get that part of your wish.

You also want DeShaun Watson at 6, so how high are you right now?

17 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I have watched him play.  Reminds me of Teddy Bridgewater another QB we missed out on, again.

Dual threat QB with the best wide reciever in the nation, who relies on his legs way too much, plays in a system that doesn't translate well to the NFL and made Tajh Boyd look like the second coming of Christ, that has a funky throwing motion, sloppy footwork, and shifty accuracy while being poor at reading the field and led the nation in INTs the last few years.  Oh and he'll need to sit like Hackenberg already did to refine his game.

V.S.

A full blown pocket passer who thrived off great footwork, accuracy, a compact motion, all while playing in a pro style offense where he didn't turn the ball over and made the team around him better with his high football IQ.  Also, was ready to go day one if Minnesota really wanted to play him.

I mean yeah, other than all those things they're basically the same.

30 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I have watched him play.  Reminds me of Teddy Bridgewater another QB we missed out on, again.

:blink:

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Dual threat QB with the best wide reciever in the nation, who relies on his legs way too much, plays in a system that doesn't translate well to the NFL and made Tajh Boyd look like the second coming of Christ, that has a funky throwing motion, sloppy footwork, and shifty accuracy while being poor at reading the field and led the nation in INTs the last few years.  Oh and he'll need to sit like Hackenberg already did to refine his game.

V.S.

A full blown pocket passer who thrived off great footwork, accuracy, a compact motion, all while playing in a pro style offense where he didn't turn the ball over and made the team around him better with his high football IQ.  Also, was ready to go day one if Minnesota really wanted to play him.

I mean yeah, other than all those things they're basically the same.

+1

@Fantasy Island :

friday-knocked-tf-out-o.gif

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Teddy was one of my favorite QB prospects to watch and study from the last 10 years worth of QBs.  Comparing him to Watson is a slap in the face to everyone who enjoys QB study and takes it seriously.

I was pretty disappointed when we passed on Bridgewater when he was still there at the end of the 1st round in '14. but I could see why the Jets passed on him AND Carr due to the late season promise and improvement Geno showed the last 1/4 of that mediocre 8-8 '13 season. Fool's Gold. As soon as the Vikes swept in and traded BACK into the 1st to nab Teddy, I felt they got a STEAL. He needs to BULK up and stay healthy. Hope his rehab is going well. 

Archived