Sign in to follow this  
UnknownJetFan

QB Daniels was released and is now available

QB Daniels was released and is now available. He is 30 and only 6 feet, but so was Flutie who was pretty darn good even in the NFL. If he doesn't want too much he may be worth a 2 year deal for some reasonable amount of $ that doesn't impact us much this year or next. He has very minimal exp. but hey he has got to be better than Cutler, or RGIII, and unless we make a trade for a MacCaron, Simien, or Savage, etc. Daniels may be the best we can get. We can still even drat a QB with our number 1 pick this year if we have one fall to use we like.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/chase-daniel-gets-his-wish/

Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)

3/13/17, 6:34 PM

Release of Daniels will show up on tomorrow's transactions. He'll be free to sign with another team on Tuesday after 4 pm ET.

Carl, we need competition for Petty/Hack in order to push them to be better and take the starting job. If they can't beat out Daniels he starts till one of them beats him out or someone else we bring in via the draft does. Bringing in a McCown or Cutler (both of which will most likely beat out the younglings due to much more exp.) probably just sets us back with no upside i.e they will win 5-7 or 8 games missing the playoffs and making us draft too low for any good QBs next year. If that occurs with Daniels it is ebtter then with the old retreads. I just think someone like Daniels has a little more upside and he wants a chance to start so why not give him the chance for a position that someday someone like him could come along and possibly resolve for us.

CMart, so can he be picked up on waivers with his current contract. Not sure it is worth the $ since he is due 7M the next 2 years, but if you gauge who might go after him and what they will pay him it is something to at least somewhat consider. The current contract he has probably has little gaurenteed if someone picks it up.

I honestly wonder why Philly didn't trade him?  Obviously, the Jets don't have a QB and if we had ANY interest in him at all, the could have squeezed a 2018 7th rounder, at a minimum.  

My guess is either Macc wasn't interested or maybe Daniels told Philly he wasn't going to come here.  Either way, I would be a little surprised if he ends up here based on what little information is out there.

30 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

CMart, so can he be picked up on waivers with his current contract. Not sure it is worth the $ since he is due 7M the next 2 years, but if you gauge who might go after him and what they will pay him it is something to at least somewhat consider. The current contract he has probably has little gaurenteed if someone picks it up.

I think it'll be similar to Revis situation with the offset language in the contract 

A whopping $5 million of his 2017 salary was fully guaranteed. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Daniel did not waive the guaranteed money. However, the guarantee contains offset language.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In 7 years the guy only threw 1 INT.

True.

He was perfect last season as well. 100% completion percentage. And he averaged 16 yards per pass. :)

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He has thrown one touchdown pass in his career.

I really hope he isn't in the conversation to be our starting QB.

This way you can root and cheer for the Jets every game.  We still get to draft Sam Darnoldson. I come to Sams first home game and give you nice foot massage as we watch pre game in the RV. Kinda perfect. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Perfect if he comes cheap. Throw him in the mix with the other two.

No reason he wouldn't; his Philly contract has a 5M guarantee with an offset, so unless anyone's offering him more than that, the salary won't matter to him

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Carl, we need competition for Petty/Hack in order to push them to be better and take the starting job. If they can't beat out Daniels he starts till one of them beats him out or someone else we bring in via the draft does. Bringing in a McCown or Cutler (both of which will most likely beat out the younglings due to much more exp.) probably just sets us back with no upside i.e they will win 5-7 or 8 games missing the playoffs and making us draft too low for any good QBs next year. If that occurs with Daniels it is ebtter then with the old retreads. I just think someone like Daniels has a little more upside and he wants a chance to start so why not give him the chance for a position that someday someone like him could come along and possibly resolve for us.

If the Jets need to sign someone to challenge these two young guys in order to push them to be better and take the job, then Hack and Petty aren't it and it's time to move on. What can a guy with 78 career passing attempts teach these guys besides stealing money? Everyone wants a chance to start, that shouldn't be a deciding factor into signing a vet QB. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets need to sign someone to challenge these two young guys in order to push them to be better and take the job, then Hack and Petty aren't it and it's time to move on. What can a guy with 78 career passing attempts teach these guys besides stealing money? Everyone wants a chance to start, that shouldn't be a deciding factor into signing a vet QB. 

Kind of agree with this. Hack and Petty have a golden chance to become a NFL franchise QB and the money that goes with it. If they need pushing for that then I too question their backbone. 

I wonder if there is some objective measurement about QB's needing mentors to grown. I suspect most of the current franchise QBs around simply got their by their own hard work and dedication. And didn't need a wet nurse.