Jets to sign CB Morris Claiborne

King P

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, shuler82 said:

well.. it's 2016 all over again except we got rid of Revis' fat, lazy ass. Maybe Claiborne stays healthy. Maybe the Jets use one or two draft picks in the first 3 rounds to address the position. Stay tuned. 

I hope this eliminates Lattimore from the conversation.

My guess is that the Cowboys are planning on drafting a couple of corners.  Smart of them.

Although signing Claiborne was not consistent with the tank plan, but tank plan cannot involve saving cap space and fielding an amateur quality team (see 2014 Idzik).  Claiborne helps prevent the potential gross embarrasments from not being to cover anybody.

FS still looks like a problem.

Just now, varjet said:

My guess is that the Cowboys are planning on drafting a couple of corners.  Smart of them.

Although signing Claiborne was not consistent with the tank plan, but tank plan cannot involve saving cap space and fielding an amateur quality team (see 2014 Idzik).  Claiborne helps prevent the potential gross embarrasments from not being to cover anybody.

Hooker or Adams, I think

A few things to keep an eye on. Obviously, one is the injury bug. Claiborne played well when 1- he wasn't expected to be the #1 CB and 2- he was able to stay healthy. Shoudl be interesting to see what kind of money he gets and how the contract is structured. Macc will probably want to be able to cut him loose without taking a cap hit in the near future ( before yr 3?). 

The second thing is the fit. Claiborne is a man-press cover CB. That is where he excels and that is what the Jets play. He could end up having a superb season if he stays healthy. 

I would also keep an eye on the depth, particularly Skrine. The Jets tendered Williams, odds are they draft a CB at some point, they seem to like Marshall (as a returner as well), and both Roberts and Burris played well when given the opportunity. Skrine had an awful season, looked lost, and is overpaid. He could get cut...not just to clear cap, but due to poor performance if he looks bad in camp. The other thing is that Roberts is really a slot or Nickel CB. So its not like Skrine can just go into the slot and all is well and good. Roberts could very well take that spot away from him.

Claiborne and Burris on the outside, Roberts in the slot, Williams as depth (pretty much in dime packages where he excelled in 2015) and Marshall/rookie as depth and special teams. Thats pretty much how I see the CB depth play out- note Skrine is not part of the equation.     

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

A few things to keep an eye on. Obviously, one is the injury bug. Claiborne played well when 1- he wasn't expected to be the #1 CB and 2- he was able to stay healthy. Shoudl be interesting to see what kind of money he gets and how the contract is structured. Macc will probably want to be able to cut him loose without taking a cap hit in the near future ( before yr 3?). 

The second thing is the fit. Claiborne is a man-press cover CB. That is where he excels and that is what the Jets play. He could end up having a superb season if he stays healthy. 

I would also keep an eye on the depth, particularly Skrine. The Jets tendered Williams, odds are they draft a CB at some point, they seem to like Marshall (as a returner as well), and both Roberts and Burris played well when given the opportunity. Skrine had an awful season, looked lost, and is overpaid. He could get cut...not just to clear cap, but due to poor performance if he looks bad in camp. The other thing is that Roberts is really a slot or Nickel CB. So its not like Skrine can just go into the slot and all is well and good. Roberts could very well take that spot away from him.

Claiborne and Burris on the outside, Roberts in the slot, Williams as depth (pretty much in dime packages where he excelled in 2015) and Marshall/rookie as depth and special teams. Thats pretty much how I see the CB depth play out- note Skrine is not part of the equation.     

Can Roberts play the slot?  I see him more as an outside guy..If McDougle can stay healthy I can see him as a slot CB

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Couple ways to look at it.

Could be a way to lock up a high-upside CB, but still plan to lose this year.  I mean the guy is injured so often, if it looks like they're gonna win, he can go down hurt at anytime.

It could also be that Macc isn't planning on tanking.  The dline will be good.  LBs should be improved with experience.  Couple good young CBs prior to Claiborne.  If he can play like he did last season before the injury?...  We actually become pretty good at corner.  Grab one or two more secondary pieces via FA/draft and the D looks pretty good.

Just now, C Mart said:

Can Roberts play the slot?  I see him more as an outside guy..If McDougle can stay healthy I can see him as a slot CB

Roberts has pretty much played slot for the pats. A CB is a CB and they all believe they can play on the outside. Roberts looked pretty good on the outside last year when given the opportunity, but he has always been a slot CB in the past. 

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Indeed, and I think the Hooker conversation begins. Cue Gilchrist release...

Could depend on the language in his contract since he's injured..But I'd guess at some point he will be..

The safety from Washington, Baker is getting a lot of pub as an Earl Thomas type..

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Indeed, and I think the Hooker conversation begins. Cue Gilchrist release...

We need 3 starting CBS in this league Claiborne on the outside and Skrine at nickel . Still leaves a opening which very well leave Lattimore in play.

sounds like a good signing.  a db who is still playing at a high level and has maybe 3-4 seasons left.  he comes from a winning organization. not quite 6' tall though.  imo the jets need to draft taller db's with long wing spans to match up better with the taller receivers. the cowboys picked him ahead of tannenhill.  the jets picked coples in his draft year.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Given the depth of this year's draft class, Claiborne might end up being our 3rd best CB when the season starts. Which isn't too shabby... of course, Mac has to trade down and get more picks in the first 3 rounds to make this dream come true. But I digress... 

if your dream is for the jets to draft cornerbacks.......your dreams suck. your wet dreams must be terrible....like tube of ky jelly and fleshlight bad

49 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

if your dream is for the jets to draft cornerbacks.......your dreams suck. your wet dreams must be terrible....like tube of ky jelly and fleshlight bad

Dream? No.

Logical strategy - given that this draft class is super-deep at CB - yes.

I'm a believer in taking advantage of what is put in front of me. Rather than insisting that everything be circumstantially perfect before I can find success.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Could depend on the language in his contract since he's injured..But I'd guess at some point he will be..

The safety from Washington, Baker is getting a lot of pub as an Earl Thomas type..

Budda Baker is definitely a favorite of mine.  I would look at him in the top of the 2nd round if Hooker was gone by the 6th pick.  Baker plays like a missile shot of hell.  Feisty little ****er.

Archived