Official JetNation 2017 Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

6 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Hooker was the BPA... Besides I don't think either WR is worthy of #6 overall, same with Howard. I was thinking about going with Barnett, but he's kinda a tweener. Hooker will be a huge boost for our secondary. He's a ballhawking playmaker that we're lacking.

cryingjets.0.0.jpg

Not 2 years in a row?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

and... the moment Gilchrist's injury thing is cleared up, we can send his arse packing.  Don't want to see Gilchrist in a Jets jersey next season.  

For me, without a trade down partner, I would have gone with Howard or Hooker....  both right there at or near BPA AND positions of gigantic need for our Jets.

Good job @NYJetsVets91.

Thanks @Dcat. It was a tough situation. Those were my thoughts exactly, Hooker can step in for Gilchrist. I wanted to take Howard, but I didn't think he separated himself from the rest of the TE group to justify #6 overall.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Hooker was the BPA... Besides I don't think either WR is worthy of #6 overall, same with Howard. I was thinking about going with Barnett, but he's kinda a tweener. Hooker will be a huge boost for our secondary. He's a ballhawking playmaker that we're lacking.

Not picking on you, just a pick I don't believe in. Hooker to me is a very good player. But what good is a ball hawk when you don't have a pass rush? You also must consider positionalimportance. QBs are rarely the best player available but they tend to go 1st overall most drafts. Same w LT prospects and pass rushers.  A FS is not a critical foundation piece. You can always find them later.  Booker to me needs to outshine Earl Thomas to justify the selection. 

6 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Thanks @Dcat. It was a tough situation. Those were my thoughts exactly, Hooker can step in for Gilchrist. I wanted to take Howard, but I didn't think he separated himself from the rest of the TE group to justify #6 overall.

Unfortunately, when you consider where the talent is in this draft, I agree that 6 is a tough spot.  QB, LT, WR, Edge, even CB are all positions of need and typical top 10 positions, but the value is just not there at 6.  As I look at this draft, there are no options likely to be available at 6 where I am thinking there is a guy I have to have.  Which is why I hope Macc really can find a partner to trade back with.

18 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

I do believe your pick is accurate and will likely happen in the real draft.   He only has one year of experience.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Unfortunately, when you consider where the talent is in this draft, I agree that 6 is a tough spot.  QB, LT, WR, Edge, even CB are all positions of need and typical top 10 positions, but the value is just not there at 6.  As I look at this draft, there are no options likely to be available at 6 where I am thinking there is a guy I have to have.  Which is why I hope Macc really can find a partner to trade back with.

In the same situation (no trade back partner to be found) I would have picked Howard or Hooker.  Most likey Howard.  

4 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I like the Hooker Pick.  Why go with a WR when we have no one to throw him the ball.  We can address that later, next year or thru FA.  Time to rebuild the defense if we are not selecting a QB.

I'd say you are way better off investing in offensive playmakers to support your eventual QB. Last thing you want to do is throw a rookie out there with no weapons and ask him to save your franchise.  I want to come out of this draft with a very strong foundation (LT prospect, WR, TE) on offense and at least 1 pass rusher and CB.  

• Upvote 1

Quick note on the Draft spreadsheet.  If you click on the filter icon, to the left of the blue "View Only" button, you can create a filter view of any sheet  that will only be visible to you.  It will probably be helpful as the draft goes on to be able to filter the sheets and this will allow you to do that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lil Woody said:

I'd say you are way better off investing in offensive play makers to support your eventual QB. Last thing you want to do is throw a rookie out there with no weapons and ask him to save your franchise.  I want to come out of this draft with a very strong foundation (LT prospect, WR, TE) on offense and at least 1 pass rusher and CB.  

I don't disagree with that strategy but if they they really think our two QB's just aren't going to cut it for us then a young WR may lose his way on this team. We have some young guys plus we can go and sign a veteran possession type WR to help a young QB.  I always think back to when the Jets supposedly had interest in Beckham Jr but of course was selected by the Giants.  How different would his career be with us.  We really need the help in the secondary more than getting a WR that will get limited targets IMO.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

When this thing goes off for real, I am hoping that Fournette is still on the board and maybe someone will want to jump in front of Carolina and maybe we have a chance to trade back to 10-15 and pick up an extra 2nd.  Had our draft board unfolded differently, I was prepared to make an offer for Cincy to jump up from 9, but I am content to wait until 9 for now.

I'm more hoping someone the Saints absolutely loves is available, and are willing to trade up, and get him with 11, and 32.

25 minutes ago, HessStation said:

wow these trades really hold things up. Never did it w trades. I won't call is silly bc doing a mock generally speaking is silly lol. But I prefer no trades. 

I'd imagine they're going to be totally unrealistic  to boot. If we haven't had a trade yet I'd nix that now.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How long are we waiting for trades?

it should be the normal time limit.  I was away and just checked in.  I gave the chargers 5 more minutes to pick and then I will pick for them.  

28 minutes ago, j4jets said:

1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year then. Deal? 

pick was due at 1:30.  Both John and I were offline until 2:35.  Gave you enuf time since then.  Its 2:55 now.

We are giving you Lattimore.  You van change it up until the next pick after yours comes in.  At that point its final, per rules.

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

pick was due at 1:30.  Both John and I were offline until 2:35.  Gave you enuf time since then.  Its 2:55 now.

We are giving you Lattimore.  You van change it up until the next pick after yours comes in.  At that point its final, per rules.

Sorry! Got stuck at work and couldn't get freed up until now. Lattimore is fine. Was trying to trade down with Oakland. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, j4jets said:

Sorry! Got stuck at work and couldn't get freed up until now. Lattimore is fine. Was trying to trade down with Oakland. 

No worries!  it happens.  And Chargers need a CB desperately as well as WR.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No worries!  it happens.  And Chargers need a CB desperately as well as WR.  Thanks!

I would puke if Jets picked Lattimore. My preference was to go with Mike WIlliams but its ok. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Seriously without being able to include future years picks 1st round trades should not be allowed.

Are we in a big hurry here?  Full 7 round mock w/trades takes 2 weeks. We told everyone that at the beginning.