Jump to content

McCown left without a contract


ManCave Analyst
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would be happy with drafting Nathan Peterman from Pitt.  He has a good arm, big hands, played in a pro offense, can throw on the move right or left, and has played well in bad weather.



I'd like this alot...He seems like the sleeper if there was one at qb this draft and we would not have to use a first or high second to get him. If any qb will suprise it will be him imho.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Id take either at this point this team needs a decent QB nothing else matters until we find one. 

i see all jets fans posting wait until next year but bowles wants a veteran to win now to save his job and jets will end up with around 5 to 6 wins again or so , the browns are still favorites to land darnold or rosen or whoever comes out. maccagnan is best available so i doubt he views the quarterbacks as best available when 6th pick rolls around. he didnt seem to be too high on either TRUBISKY or watson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather see Petty or Hack  start over ANY of the free agent stiffs out there.  Bringing in a veteran to do anything else but backup and/or mentor the two young QB's on the roster would make no sense for we all expect to be a lost year as the team rebuilds. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I predict in a desperation move and we all know Macc is good at them this will happen. 

The Browns most likely will cut Osweiler as no other team will be willing to take on his contract. The Jets should try to give Osweiler a “prove it” year contract, something along the lines of a two-year $20M deal with a team opt-out clause after the first season. The Jets have nothing to lose, and Osweiler’s potential to turn into a starting quarterback for the Jets is better than that of fellow quarterbacks Jay CutlerGeno SmithChase DanielJosh McCownTrevor SiemianA.J. McCarronRobert Griffin IIIColin Kaepernick, and Mark Sanchez.

Are you sure he is worth $10 mil/year? I'm not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO the goal is to draft a QB who could start from day 1 or bring in some competition to support a season of Hack and Petty

Sanchez and Geno have shown no signs of maturity to this point so would provide no help for Hack or Petty

Sounds like McCown, Fitz and Cutler want a chance to start and therefore would provide no help for Hack or Petty

Kap and RG3 are done

Osweiler,  McCarron and maybe Daniel or Siemian would provide enough competition to get through the season but that will depend on cap space (value) 

At the end of the day, none of the FA QB'S give the Jets a significantly better chance this season so we wait for the draft...

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Osweiler makes 16 million from Cleveland no matter what.  Any contract he signs would just lessen the amount Cleveland has to pay.  If he would come here on a one year 3-5 million dollar deal with the chance to win the job he may be worth signing.  Anything more than that is too much in my opinion.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

maybe not a bad fit for both the team and osweiler.  if osweiler has any pride he's got to realize what just happened and if he wants a starting job he really needs to get his head screwed back right.

Agreed.

Osweiller wouldn't be a bad fit for us at all. He'd come really cheap and it least has some potential as opposed to guys like McCown and Cutler who we know what they are. Osweiller may very well just be bad QB who was overpaid by the Texans. But Elway drafted him, and was willing to pay him as well in Denver. I'd much rather take a look at him in a season thats going to be going nowhere than see a guy like McCown play. And if Osweiller does indeed just suck, you throw in Hack and take a look at him.

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed.

Osweiller wouldn't be a bad fit for us at all. He'd come really cheap and it least has some potential as opposed to guys like McCown and Cutler who we know what they are. Osweiller may very well just be bad QB who was overpaid by the Texans. But Elway drafted him, and was willing to pay him as well in Denver. I'd much rather take a look at him in a season thats going to be going nowhere than see a guy like McCown play. And if Osweiller does indeed just suck, you throw in Hack and take a look at him.

Sign me up

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Hack needs all the work he can get in my opinion short of his arm falling off. 

Draft a rookie QB and the camp battle begins it will be the best thing to happen to the QB position here in years. 

Unless none of the rookies are anywhere near ready to play but by default will be thrown in action with a subpar OL.  Haven't we tried this enough to know it never nods well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I predict in a desperation move and we all know Macc is good at them this will happen. 

The Browns most likely will cut Osweiler as no other team will be willing to take on his contract. The Jets should try to give Osweiler a “prove it” year contract, something along the lines of a two-year $20M deal with a team opt-out clause after the first season. The Jets have nothing to lose, and Osweiler’s potential to turn into a starting quarterback for the Jets is better than that of fellow quarterbacks Jay CutlerGeno SmithChase DanielJosh McCownTrevor SiemianA.J. McCarronRobert Griffin IIIColin Kaepernick, and Mark Sanchez.

I actually like this.  I'd be happier if the 20 was 8 this year, and at the Jets option, 12 next year.

If he sucks the kiddie parade begins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It beyond perplexes me how people think we cant take a qb at 6.....ur telling me even if we did sign mccown, and had petty and hakenberg, then out situation could possibly be solved??? At this point no matter who we sign, if we dont take a qb at 6 this team is so lost


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetsfan719 said:

It beyond perplexes me how people think we cant take a qb at 6.....ur telling me even if we did sign mccown, and had petty and hakenberg, then out situation could possibly be solved??? At this point no matter who we sign, if we dont take a qb at 6 this team is so lost


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So even if every QB in the draft sucks we have to take one anyway?   Good thinking there...

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Macc won't be drafting a qb at 6. 

Perfect situation is that we sign Osweiller for like 2 mil, since he is getting 16 from Cleveland it don't matter what he gets from us.  He Hack and Petty fight it out and loser gets cut, winner starts.  

Why would you want a QB - at any money - if he stinks so badly that multiple QB-needy teams are willing to give up a lot justksl to get rid of him? 

The only thing worse than a losing season is a losing season in which we wasted the opportunities to give the live reps to developmental kids who badly need them. 

This "perfect situation" you outline negates the possibility that Osweiller may still have a slight edge on the other two by the end of August, but if [the better of Hackenberg/Petty] was given the nod from the start, then by mid season he's as good or better than Osweiller, and by late in the season he actually looks pretty good? Going with Osweiller from week 1 could mean he's still the QB until December when he finally gets benched, and we still don't learn enough about the other two.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why would you want a QB - at any money - if he stinks so badly that multiple QB-needy teams are willing to give up a lot justksl to get rid of him? 

The only thing worse than a losing season is a losing season in which we wasted the opportunities to give the live reps to developmental kids who badly need them. 

This "perfect situation" you outline negates the possibility that Osweiller may still have a slight edge on the other two by the end of August, but if [the better of Hackenberg/Petty] was given the nod from the start, then by mid season he's as good or better than Osweiller, and by late in the season he actually looks pretty good? Going with Osweiller from week 1 could mean he's still the QB until December when he finally gets benched, and we still don't learn enough about the other two.

Well Elway tried to give him pretty big money to be his QB so I think I will trust him more then you. 

Now if he can't beat out Hack or petty then he gets cut. That's why the low contract.  

Where do you get that multiple QB needy teams gave up a litjust to get rid of him? Cleveland only wanted to get the second round pick. 

Look, my way you gave a real competition and no real cap hit to cutting the loser.  If the winner does not show enough getting the entire year then it's known that it's time to find a qb.  It's time to finally find out, but we need another arm for camp so why not make it one that can compete and also can be cut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So even if every QB in the draft sucks we have to take one anyway?   Good thinking there...



How would we know without taking a shot?
If we miss, nothing new. Same old
Jets. If by some earth shattering miracle we hit on one. Then finally after decades we can finally build a team.

My thoughts are. This team isnt going anywhere until we have our qb. No stop gap guy will ever be the answer. The ny jets dont have the luxury of passing on any qb that could be the answer. We dont have the luxury of drafting fortunettes or other sure shot players at other positions. Until qb is solved that should be the only concern. Enough is enough.

Think about it. U draft these great young players. That ultimately will be useless to us until we have a qb. (Example mangold, revis)

And i can guarantee u wilkerson and big cat will ultimately fall in thay category if we do not solve this qb situation soon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Ext. JOSH MCCOWN exits Atlantic Health Training Center and crosses the parking lot toward his car. As he prepares to get in, MIKE MACCAGNAN bursts out of the facility and runs across the parking lot towards him. He runs slowly and laboriously, with a pronounced waddling motion. As he runs, he keeps one arm clamped over his belly, to keep it from jiggling. By the time he reaches the car, his face is flushed and he is struggling to breathe. Though the day is unseasonably cool, sweat is beginning to pool beneath his arms in an unsightly way.

MACCAGNAN [gasping]: Josh...wait...wait.

MCCOWN [nonplussed]: Ok.

MACCAGNAN [bends over to catch his breath, causing the seat of his pants to split. He is wearing Land Before Time-themed underpants]: Before you leave...there's something...something you should know.

MCCOWN: What?

MACCAGNAN [pushes fist into his right side to ameliorate the pain of a cramp; emits lengthy fart]: We...we baked you cupcakes.

The cupcake thing is by far my favorite thing any Jets GM has done since Tannanbaum announced the now infamous Tannanbaum Minidraft of 2012.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pcola said:

It's obvious that Macc really wanted McCown. You don't have him and his family to dinner and meet with him for basically 3 days to pay him to hold a clip board.

So realistically, we have been shunned by Glennon, Hoyer, and now possibly McCown.

As much as everyone is celebrating, Macc is running out of options.  So we basically have Cutler, RGIII, and a rookie.  

And most of the scouting of the rookies is done.  In fact over the last week, the Browns have looked into trading for Garappolo and Cousins.  So a team with Osweiler and two of the top 12 picks in the draft is so concerned about the rookie QBs, they are reaching out to uncover trade options.

That said, If Macc can't find another option at QB, he may be forced to over draft a QB (again) that he knows isn't the answer.  And that dooms the front office, coaching staff, and most of all, the fans as we go another 3 or 4 years of floundering near the bottom of the league.

It's not like Mccown is starting material. He isn't much better than Fitzpatrick stock right now.. This team is going to suck next yr no matter what journeyman we pick up.. I'd give it to petty just to find out for sure what we have in him. I really don't want to see a one yr rental again who is only concerned about attempting to revive his career

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

It's obvious that Macc really wanted McCown. You don't have him and his family to dinner and meet with him for basically 3 days to pay him to hold a clip board.

So realistically, we have been shunned by Glennon, Hoyer, and now possibly McCown.

As much as everyone is celebrating, Macc is running out of options.  So we basically have Cutler, RGIII, and a rookie.  

And most of the scouting of the rookies is done.  In fact over the last week, the Browns have looked into trading for Garappolo and Cousins.  So a team with Osweiler and two of the top 12 picks in the draft is so concerned about the rookie QBs, they are reaching out to uncover trade options.

That said, If Macc can't find another option at QB, he may be forced to over draft a QB (again) that he knows isn't the answer.  And that dooms the front office, coaching staff, and most of all, the fans as we go another 3 or 4 years of floundering near the bottom of the league.

None of this is obvious.  It's you guessing. If he wanted him he would have signed him.  Stop making it out to McCowan weighing his options.  Could never be obvious to a Jet fan that Macc wanted him in tomlearn more about him and came away unimpressed. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...