McCown left without a contract

ManCave Analyst

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

How would we know without taking a shot?
If we miss, nothing new. Same old
Jets. If by some earth shattering miracle we hit on one. Then finally after decades we can finally build a team.

My thoughts are. This team isnt going anywhere until we have our qb. No stop gap guy will ever be the answer. The ny jets dont have the luxury of passing on any qb that could be the answer. We dont have the luxury of drafting fortunettes or other sure shot players at other positions. Until qb is solved that should be the only concern. Enough is enough.

Think about it. U draft these great young players. That ultimately will be useless to us until we have a qb. (Example mangold, revis)

And i can guarantee u wilkerson and big cat will ultimately fall in thay category if we do not solve this qb situation soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why god created scouting departments. They're supposed to determine if a QB is worth the #6 overall pick in the draft or not. 

You're looking at picking between two juniors -a risky move in and of itself- one who's thrown a lot of interceptions and has questionable arm strength, and the other who's only started one season. If your choice is one of those vs. someone you think is rock solid as, say, an edge rusher, which do you take? I understand the importance of the QB position, but you can't reach for them while passing on good (or maybe great) players in the process. 

I'd ride with Hack/Petty this season and see how Mac has done drafting QBs so far in real time. 

10 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed.

Osweiller wouldn't be a bad fit for us at all. He'd come really cheap and it least has some potential as opposed to guys like McCown and Cutler who we know what they are. Osweiller may very well just be bad QB who was overpaid by the Texans. But Elway drafted him, and was willing to pay him as well in Denver. I'd much rather take a look at him in a season thats going to be going nowhere than see a guy like McCown play. And if Osweiller does indeed just suck, you throw in Hack and take a look at him.

John Elway let him go. He folded in the playoffs like a church chair does when I sit on it. Pretty sure everyone knows what they have in Osweiller. Another jag QB falsely elevated in a QB starved league. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

John Elway let him go. He folded in the playoffs like a church chair does when I sit on it. Pretty sure everyone knows what they have in Osweiller. Another jag QB falsely elevated in a QB starved league. 

Elway didn't let him go.  He offered him a long term deal at 16 mil a year.  He took a deal with Houston for 18 mil a year and no state income tax... its a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Osweiller at least made the playoffs Petty crumbled like humpty dumpty,Hackenberg wasn't even ready to see the field and the fact he couldnt see the field behind our scrub QB's really concerns me. 

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Elway didn't let him go.  He offered him a long term deal at 16 mil a year.  He took a deal with Houston for 18 mil a year and no state income tax... its a no brainer.

if he really believed in him he would have done what it took to keep him. 

14 hours ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Apparently the old scrub thinks his time sitting on the bench is worth an unrealistic amount. Glad to see Mac won't overpay like he did last year with Fitz. Time to bring Culer in for a visit and see where his head is . That is really the only option this year. It is an incredible reach to draft a Quarterback early this year.  They are simply not ready .  Draft the best player available and don't reach. Take Wr Williams or the best defensive back.

I would not have winded and dined him, as the papers say.d I might have bread and watered him.

As much as some don't want to see petty or hack start and "throw the season away" I think it's inevitable. I think the problem Mac is having is these quarterbacks Mac has interest in have zero interest in being their backup and don't want backup chump change. Mac is being very good with not offering more than a FA is worth. Everyone who wants a petty/hack battle is going to get your wish with how Mac is not making qb a priority and that's a good thing. Continuously saying hack sucks is fine but no one really knows...He's a year removed from college and the preseason game meant nothing other than game time experience...Every rookie qb not named Dak Prescot sucked just as bad in the preseason.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Osweiller at least made the playoffs Petty crumbled like humpty dumpty,Hackenberg wasn't even ready to see the field and the fact he couldnt see the field behind our scrub QB's really concerns me. 

That was a pretty good damn squad they had last year. I just think we saw the best you will get from Osweiller. Considering they gave picks to get rid of him I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That was a pretty good damn squad they had last year. I just think we saw the best you will get from Osweiller. Considering they gave picks to get rid of him I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. 

A team is built around the QB I'm positive if we had a decent QB last season that the team believed in we would have had better results and not the ugly ones and issues we did have here. 

Until we find a decent QB nothing else matters. 

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Elway wanted him. The Texans outbid and Osweiller was mad he was benched in Denver for Manning.

There is a huge difference between paying Osweiller big money like the Texans did and paying him cheaply like the Jets would be doing if they brought him in. I'd love the Jets to get Osweiller.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

None of this is obvious.  It's you guessing. If he wanted him he would have signed him.  Stop making it out to McCowan weighing his options.  Could never be obvious to a Jet fan that Macc wanted him in tomlearn more about him and came away unimpressed. 

Are you serious?  If Macc wanted him, he would have signed him?  You can't honestly believe that.  The guys been in the league 3 years longer than Fitz.  So I guess Macc didn't want Glennon, Hoyer, McCown, Hightower, or every other FA we didn't sign.

Lets say you own a business.  You are hiring a CFO.  you have one candidate that you don't really want, but you are willing to bring him and his family in for a tour and dinner and start negotiating a contract with for several days...does this make any sense?

Its OK to question Jets leadership.  We haven't been relevant now for over 6 years.  Not all of their decisions were sound.

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A team is built around the QB I'm positive if we had a decent QB last season that the team believed in we would have had better results and not the ugly ones and issues we did have here. 

So the problem was the team didn't believe in Fitz?  The same Fitz that Marshall and Decker through a hissy fit over when he wasn't signed? Not logical. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

So the problem was the team didn't believe in Fitz?  The same Fitz that Marshall and Decker through a hissy fit over when he wasn't signed? Not logical. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick parted the locker room and the team Mangold,Decker and Marshall weren't the entire team. 

Many others believed Fitzpatrick sucked and wanted a change. 

13 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Elway wanted him. The Texans outbid and Osweiller was mad he was benched in Denver for Manning.

There is a huge difference between paying Osweiller big money like the Texans did and paying him cheaply like the Jets would be doing if they brought him in. I'd love the Jets to get Osweiller.

Again franchise QBs don't leave teams that really want them. When the last time a actual franchise guy left a team because they were outbid? Let's see if Redskins  get outbid for Cousins. Won't happen. Elway folded because deep down he new Osweiller was only worth a certain amount . A set number. You do whatever it takes to keep a real franchise guy. 

10 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well Elway tried to give him pretty big money to be his QB so I think I will trust him more then you. 

Now if he can't beat out Hack or petty then he gets cut. That's why the low contract.  

Where do you get that multiple QB needy teams gave up a litjust to get rid of him? Cleveland only wanted to get the second round pick. 

Look, my way you gave a real competition and no real cap hit to cutting the loser.  If the winner does not show enough getting the entire year then it's known that it's time to find a qb.  It's time to finally find out, but we need another arm for camp so why not make it one that can compete and also can be cut

I'm sure Elway's now aware he dodged a bullet there. Otherwise he'd already be a Bronco for half of his $16m salary and a 7th round pick.

When they made him an offer they were in a different situation than they're in today and a different situation than the Jets are today. 

The problem isn't what if Osweiller loses a competition. That is a solution not a problem. He problem is if he marginally beats Hackenberg (or Petty), or due to his experience they give him the tie. 

24 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Are you serious?  If Macc wanted him, he would have signed him?  You can't honestly believe that.  The guys been in the league 3 years longer than Fitz.  So I guess Macc didn't want Glennon, Hoyer, McCown, Hightower, or every other FA we didn't sign.

Lets say you own a business.  You are hiring a CFO.  you have one candidate that you don't really want, but you are willing to bring him and his family in for a tour and dinner and start negotiating a contract with for several days...does this make any sense?

Its OK to question Jets leadership.  We haven't been relevant now for over 6 years.  Not all of their decisions were sound.

No, Macc didn't want Glennon etc at their price.  What's so hard to understand? 

And yes, it makes perfect sense to go through the process, feel you have all the info needed to pick a player, QB or CFO. 

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick parted the locker room and the team Mangold,Decker and Marshall weren't the entire team. 

Many others believed Fitzpatrick sucked and wanted a change. 

When he returned to form of course. But when they signed him they were dancing in the streets. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Correct.  But this does not mean Osweiler is that QB.  Not even close.  Two different organizations know he sucks.  Hell, even the Browns know he sucks, and are trying to move him.  The Browns cast out McCown too, so they at least know which QB's suck these days. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  But this does not mean Osweiler is that QB.  Not even close.  Two different organizations know he sucks.  Hell, even the Browns know he sucks, and are trying to move him.  The Browns cast out McCown too, so they at least know which QB's suck these days. 

Wish we did but we won't until MacAgnan is fired in January

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Again franchise QBs don't leave teams that really want them. When the last time a actual franchise guy left a team because they were outbid? Let's see if Redskins  get outbid for Cousins. Won't happen. Elway folded because deep down he new Osweiller was only worth a certain amount . A set number. You do whatever it takes to keep a real franchise guy. 

Cousins is not a franchise qb

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, Macc didn't want Glennon etc at their price.  What's so hard to understand? 

And yes, it makes perfect sense to go through the process, feel you have all the info needed to pick a player, QB or CFO. 

Mac is a horrible evaluator of the qb position

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The cupcake thing is by far my favorite thing any Jets GM has done since Tannanbaum announced the now infamous Tannanbaum Minidraft of 2012.

Every time I think of it, I imagine Hightower as Charlie Murphy. "After the workout, he took me back inside and served me cupcakes...cupcakes."

Archived