Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

Gas2No99

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So Joe you believe that a guy who was willing to do a competitive rebuild in order to keep his job (I've gone into that already), would be be obtuse enough to realize that his job is not in danger?

He is in way over his head he has been since he got the GM job here he has no clue what he's doing,isnt it quite evident. 

Let it play out when its all over we can laugh about it. 

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It might happen. But it's foolish to come to that conclusion NOW. Don't declare it now. Wait til training camp to make that conclusion.

That's a problem with this media and part of this fanbase. 1 good game and "WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!"

They jump way too easily.

What if some of us have the power to predict the future, it would be irresponsible not to share that knowledge with the world

37 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Hack can make Pre-Snap reads of the defense while Petty - coming out of Baylor's sandlot playbook - improved in playing Madden thanks to his rookie year of learning about opposing defense and keys. 

Hack is more "Pro-Ready" than Petty is in the MENTAL aspect of the game.

I'm assuming you haven't watched any of the preseason games he played in last year.  or his career at Penn St. 

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What if some of us have the power to predict the future, it would be irresponsible not to share that knowledge with the world

That's just not possible. Mmccaggnnann's competitive rebuild strategy is so deep and intricate and complicated that even someone with such powers wouldn't be able to decipher anything predictive from it.

35 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It might happen. But it's foolish to come to that conclusion NOW. Don't declare it now. Wait til training camp to make that conclusion.

That's a problem with this media and part of this fanbase. 1 good game and "WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!"

They jump way too easily.

Says the sourpuss in weekly game threads that declares the game over before halftime

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's just not possible. Mmccaggnnann's competitive rebuild strategy is so deep and intricate and complicated that even someone with such powers wouldn't be able to decipher anything predictive from it.

Here's the thing: we don't know whether McCown will be the starter or not. So let's agree that he won't be the starter, and that Maccagnan is good, until we get to training camp. Then, if it turns out that McCown is the starter, we can say "wow, we landed a starting QB for $6 million, not bad," and further agree that Maccagnan is good.

The search for a veteran signal caller has come to a close.

Monday evening, the Jets and quarterback Josh McCown agreed to a one-year, $6 million deal. McCown joins the Jets after spending the last two seasons in Cleveland. Despite a very modest career, the quintessential journeyman figures to compete for the starting job in 2017.

Let’s take a look at the quarterback depth chart after the signing of McCown.

POSITION PLAYER 1 PLAYER 2 PLAYER 3
QB (3) Josh McCown Bryce Petty Christian Hackenberg

With Bryce Petty still recovering from his torn labrum, the expectation should be that McCown will go into OTAs and mini-camp as the starter.

In limited action last year, Petty showed flashes of growth and maturity. Those flashes, however, were quickly followed by reality checks (which were disguised as poorly thrown balls and interceptions). In six games, he threw for 809 yards, three TD and seven interceptions. When healthy, and if on the roster, Petty should be able to challenge McCown for the starting job.

Then there is Hackenberg.

As much as fans want to see him play, the sophomore-to-be is not ready. The Jets have shown they will do whatever they can to ensure they don’t rattle their second-round project. A prime example of this is dressing him only once all last season. Hackenberg will not be the opening day starter, but the good news is that he should receive a ton more reps in 2017.

Lastly, do not be surprised if the Jets acquire another quarterback via the draft. General manager Mike Maccagnan has made it known that all options are on the table during their search for a franchise quarterback, including the No. 6 overall pick.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/21/josh-mccown-gives-jets-quarterback-depth-chart-veteran-presence/

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Here's the thing: we don't know whether McCown will be the starter or not. So let's agree that he won't be the starter, and that Maccagnan is good, until we get to training camp. Then, if it turns out that McCown is the starter, we can say "wow, we landed a starting QB for $6 million, not bad," and further agree that Maccagnan is good.

It's true, he deserves a lot of credit for landing a 37 year old crappy quarterback to tutor the two crappy quarterbacks he drafted. No easy task.

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Or they think Hackenberg is a lost cause and they know McCown can keep the team just competitive enough to stave off a veteran revolt until they find a young guy who can actually play.

I really think you're overselling how competitive McCown is going to keep them.

Just now, gEYno said:

I really think you're overselling how competitive McCown is going to keep them.

It's really an academic point, since he's definitely not starting, and was only brought here to be a mentor to the stable of young studs we have in the QB room

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's really an academic point, since he's definitely not starting, and was only brought here to be a mentor to the stable of young studs we have in the QB room

Jokes aside, I don't see what the problem is.  If Petty/Hack immolate as we all expect, it's not like McCown takes us out of contention for the #1 overall pick.  I'd be pissed if it were Cutler, even Kapernick, but Josh McCown changes nothing, and that's not a bad thing.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Anxiously awaiting Bowles explanation of how he can't bench McCown because they're still in the playoff hunt at 4-6.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Jokes aside, I don't see what the problem is.  If Petty/Hack immolate as we all expect, it's not like McCown takes us out of contention for the #1 overall pick.  I'd be pissed if it were Cutler, even Kapernick, but Josh McCown changes nothing, and that's not a bad thing.

This. 

Either Petty or Hack take the QB job and don't look back. Or, we have a year of McCown looking awful - getting hurt, playing the kids, getting a top 5 pick, and learning how we should use that top 5 pick in 2018.

Given our circumstances of not being to find the QB and just go pick the most ripe and ready one... this is the best thing we could ask for.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

So one independent game is your basis for a sweeping statement. That's not enough

You're a dope.

While, on the surface this seems like a sweeping statement. It is, in reality, a well-informed statement based on empirical evidence collected along a very specific timeline, through key touchpoints. None of which I plan on pointing back to at this point, to defend my statement. I think there comes a point where some things are just broadly accepted based on the history and trends of said data.

So, when you think about it, the Jets are like your post history.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

6-10, 12th overall pick.

The definition of  half assing it-never tear it down to get The Man, never get good enough to really compete. Wins and losses in a year where the Pats are loaded for bear and the Jets' talent level is barely SEC-quality are IRRELEVANT. But watch Bowles go out there and win just enough to screw it up and still get fired. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You're a dope.

While, on the surface this seems like a sweeping statement. It is, in reality, a well-informed statement based on empirical evidence collected along a very specific timeline, through key touchpoints. None of which I plan on pointing back to at this point, to defend my statement. I think there comes a point where some things are just broadly accepted based on the history and trends of said data.

So, when you think about it, the Jets are like your post history.

I do it. You and him should too, if you want to make statements like that. But as you say, this is the internet where vulgarity (in general, not you) reigns supreme

I like this signing...

Theory-1: Hack/Petty has us in the vicinity of contention some weeks into the season and then goes down with an injury.  In this case the McCown is decent (sic) veteran insurance.

Theory-2: Hack/Petty completely suck and our veteran QB "depth" is forced to take over the starters job before the season begins.  In this case we are still in line for the #1 overall and the GM still has the fig leaf of not being "completely unprepared" in the QB dept.

Either of these work for me but I like #2 better because it nets us the #1 overall.

Archived