Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

Gas2No99

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Anxiously awaiting Bowles explanation of how he can't bench McCown because they're still in the playoff hunt at 4-6.

The Todd Bowles and Josh McCown chronology will look like this:

McCown knows the offense, so he'll be taking all the 1st team reps > Hack is learning the offense and Petty is getting healthy so McCown will start preseason game 3 > McCown has earned the job and stepped up as the unchallenged leader of this team so he'll start week 1 > the problem isnt Josh, we all need to do a better job, Coaches, Players, everyone in the building > Josh gives us the best chance to win > mathematically, we're not out of it, everyone is focused on that and Josh is the guy to get us back in the thick of things > unfortunately, the season didnt go as planned, we're going to give Bryce some action this week and we'll think about dressing Christian but probably not because we have a plan for him

Cimini is a fool:

http://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-a-dynasty-of-quarterback-mentorship-1793479172

ydukpmzlh1wcghatgre6.jpg

By signing Josh McCown, the Jets have extended one of the NFL’s most enduring storylines: The Veteran Quarterback As Valuable Mentor. The team’s fans are no doubt delighted.

The addition of McCown gives the Jets someone with the unique skillset of a guy who’s been around. McCown will compete for the job, and he’ll maybe even start the season, but his most important role will be to just be there for Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, recent draft picks who are entering their third and second seasons, respectively.

Just look at the kind of NFL experience McCown brings to the table:

See? An asset like McCown can’t be found just anywhere, you know.

The Jets are uncanny with this stuff. The Veteran Quarterback As Valuable Mentor really is a tried-and-true approach for a Jets franchise that has drafted 11 QBs since 1999, more than any team in the NFL.

Let’s take a look at how well this strategy has paid off for the Jets just in the last 10 years.

2016:

The most important component, though, is [Ryan] Fitzpatrick, a pro’s pro with an easy inclusive demeanor. He was just seen at Madison Square Garden with Petty, veteran center Nick Mangold and slot receiver Eric Decker at a New York Rangers playoff game. He’s exactly the sort of personality you want at the position even if his performance indicates a career journeyman.

For [Christian] Hackenberg’s purposes, that’s huge. People around the Jets believe he will act as the perfect mentor for the rookie, first because that’s his natural personality, second because he knows he’s likely not destined for a long career in New York, even if re-signed.

2015:

[Bryce] Petty has the requisite skill set to make it if he’s not rushed. His arm is obviously good. Fitzpatrick has served a personal mentor/tutor to help the rookie better understand the NFL game.

2014:

The broad analysis before and after Michael Vick’s signing with the Jets in March—from ferocious competitor to too content, from glitzy playmaker to too diminished, from a clear, sincere makeover to still not worthy of forgiveness—helps cement Vick as NFL legend, pop culture fixture and now, as [Geno] Smith’s mentor, muse and backup.

2013:

[Greg] McElroy’s influence and impact on rookie Geno Smith has been pivotal as the organization makes a transition at quarterback. The three-year veteran has been part-sounding board, part instructor in his mentorship since general manager John Idzik drafted Smith in the second round four months ago.

Although Smith and Mark Sanchez have a good relationship, the rookie’s reliance on McElroy, who has been removed from the Jets’ starting quarterback competition, has been invaluable in his development.

2012:

McElroy says Sanchez has taught him a great deal about playing quarterback, and that he’ll try to emulate Sanchez this week.

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark,” McElroy said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ PR staff. “He’s the guy that I’ve seen every day. Every day that I’ve been an NFL player, I’ve been looking up to him. I’ve been observing him and trying to follow after his lead. I’ve been watching him. I understand how to play this game because of him.”

2011:

Like any pro athlete, [Mark] Brunell told me he’d rather be the starter—“every backup at every position would rather be playing”—but he is at peace with his role as Mark Sanchez’ mentor.

2010:

“I see it as a mentoring role,” said Brunell, who turns 40 in September. “He’s a great kid, a hard worker. He has ability, and this is a critical year for him.”

Brunell sees a little of himself in Mark Sanchez.

2009:

“What Sanchez needs most is a mentor”

2008:

“When we acquired Brett [Favre], we knew we would get everything he had. He took the time to mentor younger players and his competitiveness and enthusiasm at practice and during games was contagious,” [GM Mike] Tannenbaum said.

2007:

“Chad [Pennington] has been an awesome mentor for me—before I was playing and especially now that I’m playing,” Clemens said. “It hasn’t been awkward or any of the other negative things that it could’ve been.”

The Jets have two playoff appearances dating back to 2007, and none since 2010. Imagine where they’d be without all that mentoring.

24 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Cimini is a fool:

http://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-a-dynasty-of-quarterback-mentorship-1793479172

ydukpmzlh1wcghatgre6.jpg

By signing Josh McCown, the Jets have extended one of the NFL’s most enduring storylines: The Veteran Quarterback As Valuable Mentor. The team’s fans are no doubt delighted.

The addition of McCown gives the Jets someone with the unique skillset of a guy who’s been around. McCown will compete for the job, and he’ll maybe even start the season, but his most important role will be to just be there for Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, recent draft picks who are entering their third and second seasons, respectively.

Just look at the kind of NFL experience McCown brings to the table:

See? An asset like McCown can’t be found just anywhere, you know.

The Jets are uncanny with this stuff. The Veteran Quarterback As Valuable Mentor really is a tried-and-true approach for a Jets franchise that has drafted 11 QBs since 1999, more than any team in the NFL.

Let’s take a look at how well this strategy has paid off for the Jets just in the last 10 years.

2016:

The most important component, though, is [Ryan] Fitzpatrick, a pro’s pro with an easy inclusive demeanor. He was just seen at Madison Square Garden with Petty, veteran center Nick Mangold and slot receiver Eric Decker at a New York Rangers playoff game. He’s exactly the sort of personality you want at the position even if his performance indicates a career journeyman.

For [Christian] Hackenberg’s purposes, that’s huge. People around the Jets believe he will act as the perfect mentor for the rookie, first because that’s his natural personality, second because he knows he’s likely not destined for a long career in New York, even if re-signed.

2015:

[Bryce] Petty has the requisite skill set to make it if he’s not rushed. His arm is obviously good. Fitzpatrick has served a personal mentor/tutor to help the rookie better understand the NFL game.

2014:

The broad analysis before and after Michael Vick’s signing with the Jets in March—from ferocious competitor to too content, from glitzy playmaker to too diminished, from a clear, sincere makeover to still not worthy of forgiveness—helps cement Vick as NFL legend, pop culture fixture and now, as [Geno] Smith’s mentor, muse and backup.

2013:

[Greg] McElroy’s influence and impact on rookie Geno Smith has been pivotal as the organization makes a transition at quarterback. The three-year veteran has been part-sounding board, part instructor in his mentorship since general manager John Idzik drafted Smith in the second round four months ago.

Although Smith and Mark Sanchez have a good relationship, the rookie’s reliance on McElroy, who has been removed from the Jets’ starting quarterback competition, has been invaluable in his development.

2012:

McElroy says Sanchez has taught him a great deal about playing quarterback, and that he’ll try to emulate Sanchez this week.

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark,” McElroy said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ PR staff. “He’s the guy that I’ve seen every day. Every day that I’ve been an NFL player, I’ve been looking up to him. I’ve been observing him and trying to follow after his lead. I’ve been watching him. I understand how to play this game because of him.”

2011:

Like any pro athlete, [Mark] Brunell told me he’d rather be the starter—“every backup at every position would rather be playing”—but he is at peace with his role as Mark Sanchez’ mentor.

2010:

“I see it as a mentoring role,” said Brunell, who turns 40 in September. “He’s a great kid, a hard worker. He has ability, and this is a critical year for him.”

Brunell sees a little of himself in Mark Sanchez.

2009:

“What Sanchez needs most is a mentor”

2008:

“When we acquired Brett [Favre], we knew we would get everything he had. He took the time to mentor younger players and his competitiveness and enthusiasm at practice and during games was contagious,” [GM Mike] Tannenbaum said.

2007:

“Chad [Pennington] has been an awesome mentor for me—before I was playing and especially now that I’m playing,” Clemens said. “It hasn’t been awkward or any of the other negative things that it could’ve been.”

The Jets have two playoff appearances dating back to 2007, and none since 2010. Imagine where they’d be without all that mentoring.

yah but those were different

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm just amazed that Jets fans and Jets media still haven't gotten the point of this season.

Media says "Jets are going to suck this year." "Jets fans go into meltdown after McCown signs"

WE'VE KNOWN THIS FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS.

Tell us, what is the point of this season? 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I agree. You need a veteran backup though. I think the Raiders showed that when they were forced to start Connor Cook in a playoff game.

Why do you need a veteran back up?  Bryce Petty has been in the NFL for 3 years.  That's the average life span of an NFL player. 

And if this year is all about developing and judging, I assume you would agree the playoffs are probably not in the future...so what the need to have a vet ready to go in a pinch? 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Jokes aside, I don't see what the problem is.  If Petty/Hack immolate as we all expect, it's not like McCown takes us out of contention for the #1 overall pick.  I'd be pissed if it were Cutler, even Kapernick, but Josh McCown changes nothing, and that's not a bad thing.

In a vacuum, it's fine. In a vacuum, trading a 4th-round pick for a starting left tackle is fine, too. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Signing McCown is the purest evidence yet that this regime is utterly clueless when it comes to QBs.

Just now, JiF said:

Why do you need a veteran back up?  Bryce Petty has been in the NFL for 3 years.  That's the average life span of an NFL player. 

And if this year is all about developing and judging, I assume you would agree the playoffs are probably not in the future...so what the need to have a vet ready to go in a pinch? 

To not be completely embarrassed.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Part of developing and judging young talent is acquiring old, untalented players. It's called "rebuilding." Look it up

I will.  I've only heard of a "competitive rebuild", so I assume this "rebuild" is different? 

Just now, dbatesman said:

In a vacuum, it's fine. In a vacuum, trading a 4th-round pick for a starting left tackle is fine, too. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Signing McCown is the purest evidence yet that this regime is utterly clueless when it comes to QBs.

And this is where you and I majorly differ. I judge moves based on conditions at the time and independently. Like a scientific experiment.

You don't. It's not wrong either way, It's a different outlook on things

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And this is where you and I majorly differ. I judge moves based on conditions at the time and independently. Like a scientific experiment.

You don't. It's not wrong either way, It's a different outlook on things

Not sure where you're getting this. I do the same thing. Plug it all into the ol science box, give it a shake, see what comes out

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's a special kind of rebuild where offering $60 million to a 27-year-old inside linebacker is a smart move.

Look, they're rebuilding but they're not trying to embarrass themselves. 

It's not like the kicker to the offer was cupcakes or something. 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure where you're getting this. I do the same thing. Plug it all into the ol science box, give it a shake, see what comes out

That's a good strategy that keeps you on the edge of your seat.  But for true perspective, I enjoy peaking into the rebuild strategy through another dimension.  

Just now, JiF said:

That's a good strategy and would that keeps you on the edge of your seat.  But for true perspective, I enjoy peaking into the rebuild strategy through another dimension.  

I put on my Logic VR Goggles, hop into my Good Arguments Recliner, and just straight up own all these fools around here

All I know is that McCown was not signed to be named the starter immediately upon signing

Most fans and news outlets assume he will be. Considering the guy has not been successful in the last few years, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Petty or Hackenberg can improve enough to beat him in a QB competition.

That is the position we are in right now.

Archived