How many games will Jets win?

Dcronin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

you may laugh but just remember this is a parity nfl with very few truly dominant teams, the afc east is still a mess with both buffalo and miami barely average and it just isn't that hard to squeek out a few more wins assuming the team shows up for every game and plays 60 minutes. and i think this with the qb's they currently have.  things can turn on a dime in today's nfl.

Definitely not laughing.  Mumbling under my breath and shaking my head though.

A clearly inferior roster with Bowles' gameplanning? 

Unless you're the 1999 St. Louis Rams, or 2015/16 Leicester City.... when a team is expected to suck, they usually do.  

Unfortunately I think this team will disappoint alot of the suck for Sam fans.

Last year a big reason we struggled was we gave up. Well we will not be coming off a 10-6 season. Every win will make this team feel like they won the Superbowl. Loses will not have the major impact it did last season each time we lost it seemed like everyone's dog died. This season we know who we are. This team will be full of younger players looking to make a name for themselves and will put in the effort.

Every over paid vet last season who was cut had little to no impact good or bad. Mangold got cut...Oh no....Really? The run game only improved with him out. Oh no Marshalls gone? Great now we can find a young guy who will not drop every other ball thrown to him and look pissed off at the world when the qb stops looking his way....Oh yea Revis damn I don't even want to waste my time on that.

Everyone we add could be average but it's improvement all around. Josh McCown a downgrade...Really? Our qb play was so abysmal it can only get better. Fitz never impacted any game in a positive way....never. the games we had success in came in the ground game and guess what it's the same guys that were having success paving the way for Powell at the end of the season. Hate to say it but with a Fournette it will only get better. Sorry guys suck for same ain't happening.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

This could be the worst Jet team since 1995 (not as bad as the 1976 team which in my opinion is the worst we ever put on a field).

That said...3 wins max.  Just have to hope Cleveland wins 4.

And I understand the argument that draft picks are no sure thing and we have blown a ton.  But until we find our QB, we are stuck in the mud and the only place we are going to find that QB is with a very high #1 pick.  And Darnold at least seems to look like the surest #1 QB since Luck.

3 minutes ago, Jets1214 said:

This could be the worst Jet team since 1995 (not as bad as the 1976 team which in my opinion is the worst we ever put on a field).

And I understand the argument that draft picks are no sure thing and we have blown a ton.  But until we find our QB, we are stuck in the mud and the only place we are going to find that QB is with a very high #1 pick.  And Darnold at least seems to look like the surest #1 QB since Luck.

This is a very sensible outlook, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Jets1214 said:

So will blowup dolls, ballon penises and seats on fire happen at MetLife. 

The Jets will win just enough games to put them one pick lower in the 2018 draft than would be required to finally draft their franchise QB.  In fact, I could envision this coming down to the last minute of the last game of the season where a 60 yd FG is needed to win the game.......and our guy splits the uprights.  

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This team will be better than people think. I predict 6-8 wins

Home Away
Kansas City Chiefs Denver Broncos
San Diego Chargers Oakland Raiders
Atlanta Falcons New Orleans Saints
Carolina Panthers Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
Jacksonville Jaguars Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots (Div.) New England Patriots (Div.)
Miami Dolphins (Div.) Miami Dolphins (Div.)
Buffalo Bills (Div.) Buffalo Bills (Div.)

To get to 6 wins the Jets would have to:

Sweep the Bills
Sweep the Dolphins
Beat Jacksonville
Beat Cleveland

Not happening.

I don't like our secondary against any big arm quarterback, so you can forget San Diego and New Orleans.  Tampa Bay was 9-7 and is a comer.  Don't get me started on Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, or Tom Brady (again).

Best case scenario is beating Cleveland and Jacksonville and sweeping the Bills.  I don't see that, I see a split in each of those columns, it's how we get to 2-14.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:
Home Away

Sweep the Bills
Sweep the Dolphins
Beat Jacksonville
Beat Cleveland

Not happening.

I don't like our secondary against any big arm quarterback, so you can forget San Diego and New Orleans.  Tampa Bay was 9-7 and is a comer.  Don't get me started on Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, or Tom Brady (again).

Best case scenario is beating Cleveland and Jacksonville and sweeping the Bills.  I don't see that, I see a split in each of those columns, it's how we get to 2-14.

SAR I

Cam Newton needs shoulder surgery he may miss the first few weeks so hopefully we get them while he's out. 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Definitely not laughing.  Mumbling under my breath and shaking my head though.

A clearly inferior roster with Bowles' gameplanning? 

Unless you're the 1999 St. Louis Rams, or 2015/16 Leicester City.... when a team is expected to suck, they usually do.  

well, that's the fun part.  if i'm wrong they might get a chance to draft one of the 2018 studs.  if i'm right then people should be pretty hopeful for the team's future.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:
Home Away

Sweep the Bills
Sweep the Dolphins
Beat Jacksonville
Beat Cleveland

Not happening.

SAR I

if football and the nfl were truly logical i would probably go with a low count.  it isn't.  there's a ton of parity and as much as the fans here seem too easy to denegrate this team, i guarantee that if one of their opponents does they will be in trouble.  obviously some things have to breaks the jets way.  they need good sound football for 60 minutes and at least a neutral turnover ratio.  you know people talk about the jets record last season but forget about how poorly teams like the bungles and the panthers did.  add the panthers to the wins along with san diego and the saints and there's 9 wins going on 10.

32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if football and the nfl were truly logical i would probably go with a low count.  it isn't.  there's a ton of parity and as much as the fans here seem too easy to denegrate this team, i guarantee that if one of their opponents does they will be in trouble.  obviously some things have to breaks the jets way.  they need good sound football for 60 minutes and at least a neutral turnover ratio.  you know people talk about the jets record last season but forget about how poorly teams like the bungles and the panthers did.  add the panthers to the wins along with san diego and the saints and there's 9 wins going on 10.

The problem here is that we lost a decent weapon in Marshall who might have been formidable yet again when paired with a healthy Decker.

And at quarterback, we have two men who were starters last season.  Petty went 1-3 in four starts in 2016.  McCown went 1-14 in fifteen starts in 2015 and 2016.

What few seem to want to recognize is that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a quarterback who got 10 wins in 2015 and was capable of winning 8+ games in 2016.  Taking him out of the equation is what sends us from a possible 8 wins to a definitive 2 wins.  Losing Revis may be addition by subtraction, but Fitz wasn't as bad as these two nobodies.  We are taking a severe step backwards at QB.  And as you know, a decent QB can turn some losses into wins against scrubs.  Not happening this year.  We're the scrub.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The problem here is that we lost a decent weapon in Marshall who might have been formidable yet again when paired with a healthy Decker.

And at quarterback, we have two men who were starters last season.  Petty went 1-3 in four starts in 2016.  McCown went 1-14 in fifteen starts in 2015 and 2016.

What few seem to want to recognize is that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a quarterback who got 10 wins in 2015 and was capable or winning 8+ games in 2016.  Taking him out of the equation is what sends us from a possible 8 wins to a definitive 2 wins.  Losing Revis may be addition by subtraction, but Fitz wasn't as bad as these two nobodies.  We are taking a severe step backwards at QB.  And as you know, a decent QB can turn some losses into wins against scrubs.  Not happening this year.  We're the scrub.

SAR I

SAR I with all due respect we have an unknown who probably will be starting Christian Hackenberg and more than likely with all your reward points you will get his jersey at season end signed and delivered. 

Keep the faith brother I'm counting on you controlling the new and improved crowd at the stadium when failure comes knocking this season its going to happen there will be good times and bad. 

Hold onto that #14 Fitzpatrick jersey theres a dry cleaners in East Rutherford that can change the name plate for you over to Hackenberg so you have a jersey to wear to the games and get chicken wing sauce on it. He will probably switch to #14.

Enjoy the season buddy its going to be one for books. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I with all due respect we have an unknown who probably will be starting Christian Hackenberg and more than likely with all your reward points you will get his jersey at season end signed and delivered. 

Keep the faith brother I'm counting on you controlling the new and improved crowd at the stadium when failure comes knocking this season its going to happen there will be good times and bad. 

Hold onto that #14 Fitzpatrick jersey theres a dry cleaners in East Rutherford that can change the name plate for you over to Hackenberg so you have a jersey to wear to the games and get chicken wing sauce on it. He will probably switch to #14.

Enjoy the season buddy its going to be one for books. 

We've seen the unknown youngster story before but this roster is not the '02 Parcells squad that Pennington inherited nor the '08 Favre squad that Sanchez inherited.  Whomever our quarterback is, he's starting from rock-bottom.  Skechy OL.  Mishmash WR's.  No TE.  Old RB.  New OC.  This isn't going to end well no matter who we put back there.  Tom Brady couldn't win 6 games with this motley crew.

And that's before we get to the defense (who will fold up like a cheap suit the minute we go 0-4) and the head coach (who will lose the locker room the minute we go 0-4).

As for Fitzpatrick, I have no love for him nor do I own his jersey, but I am smart enough to recognize that he is an 8 win quarterback and he's not here anymore.  We're left with two 1 win quarterbacks and a rookie so raw he may take several seasons to develop if ever.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What few seem to want to recognize is that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a quarterback who got 10 wins in 2015 and was capable of winning 8+ games in 2016.  Taking him out of the equation is what sends us from a possible 8 wins to a definitive 2 wins.  Losing Revis may be addition by subtraction, but Fitz wasn't as bad as these two nobodies.  We are taking a severe step backwards at QB.  And as you know, a decent QB can turn some losses into wins against scrubs.  Not happening this year.  We're the scrub.

SAR I

fair enough.  i know it will take a lot of things going the jets way but christ, even a blind squirrel finds an accorn.  besides, if they do play well enough and win 8+ then this team may have just found the right guys to lead them to bigger and better things.  wasn't the bellichicken 5-11 his first season as patsie coach? and after he lucked into brady and won their first superbowl it still took a couple of seasons before brady became an excellent qb and could carry the team.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

fair enough.  i know it will take a lot of things going the jets way but christ, even a blind squirrel finds an accorn.  besides, if they do play well enough and win 8+ then this team may have just found the right guys to lead them to bigger and better things.  wasn't the bellichicken 5-11 his first season as patsie coach? and after he lucked into brady and won their first superbowl it still took a couple of seasons before brady became an excellent qb and could carry the team.

The price we pay for hanging onto old guys for the first two years of the Maccagnan era is that we didn't give other youngsters across the team the type of playing time they needed either.  Just like Petty's development may have been retarded, so too might a TE, WR, LB, etc. that may have contributed more this season and led to a surprising record.

Things can be turned around quickly in the NFL, that takes unexpected QB play, an easy schedule, and a head coach the players believe in.  That's the formula for our unexpected 2015 campaign.  No such luck this year.

SAR I

8 wins.

You guys are underestimating the impact Fitz had on this team.  It was such an abysmal starting QB performance it may stand for years as one of the worst seasons anyone has ever seen. 

McCown may not be particularly good but I doubt we'll see anything close to the level of disgust we got with the conquering hero.

Claiborne > Revis

Mangold barely played

Clady barely played

Marshall didn't play well (thanks Fitz)

We have a better coaching staff and a HC who hopefully learned a couple lessons last year.  Lee will be improved, Wilk will come back strong, Williams ready to take next step to elite level of play... 

I really don't see why people think we're going to be so god awful...  Fitzpatrick destroyed this team last year and they still sh-t out 5 wins.  It won't be worse.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

8 wins.

You guys are underestimating the impact Fitz had on this team.  It was such an abysmal starting QB performance it may stand for years as one of the worst seasons anyone has ever seen. 

McCown may not be particularly good but I doubt we'll see anything close to the level of disgust we got with the conquering hero.

Claiborne > Revis

Mangold barely played

Clady barely played

Marshall didn't play well (thanks Fitz)

We have a better coaching staff and a HC who hopefully learned a couple lessons last year.  Lee will be improved, Wilk will come back strong, Williams ready to take next step to elite level of play... 

I really don't see why people think we're going to be so god awful...  Fitzpatrick destroyed this team last year and they still sh-t out 5 wins.  It won't be worse.

I actually agree with all of this.

Archived