QB question for the Jews in the Jets family....

Lil Woody

Just now, RoadFan said:

I don't know you as a poster from a whole in the wall.  But as of yet, this thread is not offensive to me.  And I am extremely sensitive to anti-semitism.  I have my late grandmother's number from Auschwitz tattooed on my arm.

Fact;  Large portions of the Jets fan base are Americans with Italian, Irish, and Jewish backgrounds.  Nothing to see here... yet anyway...

Italians and Jews have a very similar sense of pride imo. I really don't see what the big deal is. As much as I hated Marino because of the fish, I always wanted to see him succeed - just not against us. I was also a Vinny apologist for as long as I could hold onto that lost cause.

For some of us, it adds greatly to the entertainment/enjoyment of the sport....Having a guy that represents your nationality well that is.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Given the choice between Darnold and Rosen WITH the assumption that Rosen is VERY close in rankings and has just as much potential but is rated just a tick lower....would you rather have the Jewish QB in NYC or does it not matter in the least to you?

Because if I'm being honest...and tables were turned and "Rosen" was "Rossi" I don't know that I would be able to control my FQB boner for one of my own on my team.

Who cares about religion or ethnicity of any player?  Lets just base player selection on talent.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Who cares what religion or ethnicity of any player?  Lets just base player selection on talent.

That's certainly the PC answer, but all things being equal it's something that definitely moves the preferential needle for fans.

14 minutes ago, sciond said:

My first post although I have lurked here for forever and a day. However this might be the most ridiculous thread ever and I figured it was time. Not like the QB would be pitching kreplach. So who cares what religion he is...

Welcome, sciond.

I have to admit, I had no idea what kreplach was until I looked it up. 

I love the way  "pitching kreplach" sounds. 

Did you ever think of possibly using it as a screen name?  ?

Given the choice between Darnold and Rosen WITH the assumption that Rosen is VERY close in rankings and has just as much potential but is rated just a tick lower....would you rather have the Jewish QB in NYC or does it not matter in the least to you?

Because if I'm being honest...and tables were turned and "Rosen" was "Rossi" I don't know that I would be able to control my FQB boner for one of my own on my team.

Why on earth would I (and you) possibly care about him or any other QB being Jewish or not? You really should be banned from this forum.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

You called me PC, that is a personal attack. Me, a guy that voted for Trump. (lets not turn this political, I'm just making a point)

I could not care about anything but getting the right player!! 

I'm really not trying to fight anyone here.

The answer was perfectly PC. I don't think that's an attack on you. If you feel it is, fine.

And the premise is that these guys are SOOOO close in talent and ability, that preference can play a critical part for fans.  I'm curious if other fans are like me in that they recognize their bias/preference towards someone that they can identify better with.

Like I said, for me, I'd be thrilled if we could get an Italian STUD qb to lead the franchise. It would be the cherry on top. I'll take anyone of course, but again...all things being equal....or just about equal....I'd be swayed.

7 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Why on earth would I (and you) possibly care about him or any other QB being Jewish or not? You really should be banned from this forum.

Tell you what....go submit a complaint and I'll discuss it with the mods.

2 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Rossi from apartment 2R??  If you can't control your boner then you'd better at least double wrap it based on the information below:

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Rosen is biologically only half Jewish (on his father's side) and apparently identifies as an atheist.

Would it not matter more if it was his Mother that was Jewish?  My knowledge may be way outdated.

5 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Would it not matter more if it was his Mother that was Jewish?  My knowledge may be way outdated.

Yes and no. Depends on the sect. Orthodox law stresses matrilineality.

However, I have learned in this thread that we'll take anyone in if they are good at football.

So as I am learning the temperature of this board....what would lock a thread?

As long as discussion is civil, I would assume there would be no need.

Or are people just so sensitive that we can't actually talk about things like nationalism and cultural identity?  Seems odd given today's political climate of inclusion and diversity. Or is it just that we have a lot of immaturity here? Which I'd understand, being quite immature myself at times.

We generally try to avoid politics of any kind. Mostly because people lack civility and it always devolves into a shit show. And yes, people are immature. 

18 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

We generally try to avoid politics of any kind. Mostly because people lack civility and it always devolves into a sh*t show. And yes, people are immature. 

I get that. I also try to avoid politics at all costs.

But I do love to talk with people about their heritage, background, upbrinigng, etc. It's all great stuff and a great way to get to know people. Sucks that people today are so scared now to identify anything that makes us different to one another.  We are all constantly brow beaten to believe that things like race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever are insignificant and should be ignored and considered irrelevant. They aren't. It's all part of what makes us who we are. That's something to be embraced, discussed and shared imo. There is something very flawed with pretending otherwise.

But if you gotta lock it down because some people can't handle it...that sucks...but do what you gotta do.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

I get that. I also try to avoid politics at all costs.

But I do love to talk with people about their heritage, background, upbrinigng, etc. It's all great stuff and a great way to get to know people. Sucks that people today are so scared now to identify anything that makes us different to one another.  We are all constantly brow beaten to believe that things like race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever are insignificant and should be ignored and considered irrelevant. They aren't. It's all part of what makes us who we are. That's something to be embraced, discussed and shared imo. There is something very flawed with pretending otherwise.

But if you gotta lock it down because some people can't handle it...that sucks...but do what you gotta do.

That sucks? For who?

So as I am learning the temperature of this board....what would lock a thread?

As long as discussion is civil, I would assume there would be no need.

Or are people just so sensitive that we can't actually talk about things like nationalism and cultural identity?  Seems odd given today's political climate of inclusion and diversity. Or is it just that we have a lot of immaturity here? Which I'd understand, being quite immature myself at times.

I agree.  And this board is a wee bit more sensitive than most others. And of course there's the one that is entirely anti-PC.  It's where all the other JI emigrants who didn't land here wound up. 

Archived